Patient Comments: Encephalopathy - Prognosis

What is the outlook for a patient you know who had encephalopathy? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: mazzy40, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 24

My son had a really bad multiple sclerosis (MS) relapse from the onset of his MS. He has memory loss, double vision in both eyes, personality change, extreme fatigue (sleeping 20 plus hours per day unless awakened), numbness from head to toe, falling everywhere and lost 3 stone in 6 weeks. But the worst thing is the mood swings. He was found to have encephalopathy, and after he received plasma exchange physically he started to improve but the damage has been done to the brain. The mood swings he has are horrendous at times and police have been involved, he can be very abusive. He doesn't see he has a problem but everyone around him can see it, he now has obsessive spending and behavioral changes which is very challenging to live with. One day my son was a healthy soldier, next thing he has got an aggressive form of remitting and relapsing MS and left with some sort of brain damage.

Comment from: carad, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 11

My husband has encephalopathy and they say he will get better and return to pretty normal. But we just got him home last night and all was pretty well, however this morning he was very angry and verbally abusive to me.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter