Patient Comments: Encephalopathy - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of encephalopathy in you or someone you know? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: spipkin, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I had back surgery in 2006 with a fusion and rod in my back. The surgery made my back worse and I have been in excruciating pain even with medications. I was prescribed morphine, oxycodone, sertraline, omeprazole, baclofen, ibuprofen and Lyrica. A week ago I was up all night with pain. I couldn't get rid of it. Every time I moved I felt like I was being electrocuted. I ended up in the hospital confused with memory loss. I couldn't remember where I worked or who my boss was. The doctor diagnosed me with encephalopathy due to medication, fibromyalgia, chronic pain and osteoarthritis. Within the last two years I have fallen and hit my head real hard and wonder if this didn't contribute to my encephalopathy.

Comment from: Terrigm, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 22

My sixteen year old son suffered brain damage as a result of taking Humira and methotrexate for his juvenile arthritis. The doctor started him on this when he was 13. He has regressed to the level of a 5 year old and is having to learn things all over again. Today his condition was finally given the name, encephalopathy. He has a little trouble moving his hands and arms although he can still do basic care things for himself. He has significant memory loss, he uses poor judgment, trying to eat raw foods that he shouldn't. He can no longer process the fact that he needs to read and follow instructions, so he can no longer prepare simple cooked foods. He leaves burners going on the stove, walks around naked because his mind is like a toddler. He's not embarrassed to be seen unclothed. He needs close supervision.

Comment from: Sheri11, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

Since my liver transplant 2008, I have fallen down uncountable times. My husband gets angry because I remember nothing and my judgment is not the best. I thought it is because of the transplant drugs.

Dementia Quiz