Encephalitis is a brain inflammation that causes sudden fever, vomiting, headache, light sensitivity, stiff neck and back, drowsiness, and irritability. Meningitis is an infection that causes inflammation of the meninges that surround the brain and spinal cord. Symptoms of meningitis include high fever, headache, nausea, vomiting, and stiff neck. Read more: Meningitis Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Meningitis Quiz: Test Your Infectious Disease IQ
What is meningitis and what causes it? Take our Meningitis Quiz to learn the causes, symptoms, treatments, and complications of...
Dementia, Alzheimer's Disease, and Aging Brains
What is dementia? Learn about dementia disorders such as Lewy Body Dementia, Alzheimer's disease (AD), Vascular (multi-infarct)...
Viral Infection Types, Treatment, and Prevention
Watch this slideshow on Viral Infections and learn about types, treatment, and prevention of illnesses caused by viruses....
West Nile Virus Infection: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment
Watch this slideshow on West Nile Virus (encephalitis). Spread by mosquitoes that feed on infected birds, learn about causes,...
Enterovirus D68 (EV-D68): Symptoms and Treatment
What is Enterovirus D68? Learn about causes, symptoms and treatment for this deadly strain of EV-D68 virus that has sickened...
The 18 Most Expensive U.S. Medical Conditions
What are the most expensive medical conditions? Learn about heart conditions, brain disorders, back pain and many more expensive...
Related Disease Conditions
Upper Respiratory Tract Infection
An upper respiratory infection is a contagious infection of the structures of the upper respiratory tract, which includes the...
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
STDs in Men
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections transmitted during sexual contact. They may be caused by viruses, bacteria,...
Shingles, or herpes zoster, is a painful rash caused by the varicella zoster virus. Other shingles symptoms include headache,...
Neck Pain (Cervical Pain)
Neck pain (cervical pain) may be caused by any number of disorders and diseases. Tenderness is another symptom of neck pain....
Sinus headache is caused by a sinus infection or inflammation of the sinus cavities. Symptoms of a sinus headache include pain,...
Sepsis (blood poisoning) is a potentially deadly infection with signs and symptoms that include elevated heart rate, low or high...
Cold Sores (Nongenital Herpes Simplex Infections)
Herpes simplex infections are common and when they appear around the mouth and lips, people often refer to them as "cold sores"...
Coxsackieviruses may be divided into two groups. Type A causes hand, foot, and mouth disease and conjunctivitis, while type B...
Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease
Hand, foot, and mouth syndrome is clinical pattern consisting of a rash on the hands and feet, and in the mouth. Hand, foot, and...
Dementia is defined as a significant loss of intellectual abilities such as memory capacity, severe enough to interfere with...
Group B Strep
Group B strep are bacteria called Streptococcus agalactiae that may sometimes cause infections both in a pregnant woman and her...
Medical shock is a life-threatening medical condition. There are several types of medical shock, including: septic shock,...
Hydrocephalus is an abnormal buildup of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) in the ventricles of the brain. The fluid is often under...
Mumps is an acute viral illness caused by the mumps virus. Symptoms of mumps include fever, headache, muscle aches, tiredness,...
Bell's Palsy (Facial Nerve Problems) Paralysis Causes and Treatments
Bell's palsy is one type of facial nerve paralysis. The 7th cranial nerve controls the muscles of the face, and although...
Rabies is a viral disease that is transmitted via the bite of an infected animal. Symptoms include fever, headaches, and...
Lyme disease is a bacterial illness, which is spread by ticks when they bite the skin. Initially the disease affects the skin...
Brain Lesions (Lesions on the Brain)
A brain lesion is defined as an area of damaged brain. Brain lesions (lesions on the brain) are caused by: trauma,...
Leptospirosis is an infectious disease that causes symptoms such as fever, headache, and chills. Treatment for leptospirosis...
Group A streptococcal infections are caused by group A streptococcus, a bacteria that causes a variety of health problems,...
Epilepsy is a brain disorder in which the person has seizures. There are two kinds of seizures, focal and generalized. There are...
Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococci (VRE)
Vancomycin-resistant enterococci (VRE) infection is the most common type of infection acquired by patients while hospitalized....
Febrile seizures, or convulsions caused by fever, can be frightening in small children or infants. However, in general, febrile...
Optic neuritis is inflammation of the optic nerve, the structure that connects the eye to the brain. The precise cause of optic...
Listeria is a type of bacteria that can cause food poisoning. Listeriosis symptoms include diarrhea, nausea, and...
Measles (rubeola) is a highly contagious disease that's caused by a virus. Symptoms include a rash, high fever, cough, runny...
Kawasaki disease is a rare children's disease characterized by a fever that lasts more than five days and at least four of the...
Is Meningitis Contagious?
Meningitis, inflammation of the meninges, symptoms and signs include neck stiffness, headache, and fever. There are five types of...
Fungal meningitis is a rare disease that is not contagious. Symptoms include fever, headache, stiff neck, nausea, and vomiting....
Shingles and Pregnancy
Becoming infected with chickenpox during pregnancy could cause birth defects in your unborn child. Likewise, shingles could also...
Tularemia (rabbit fever) is an infection caused by the Francisella tularensis bacteria. People can become infected with tularemia...
Enterovirus (Non-Polio Enterovirus Infection)
Non-polio enteroviruses cause a variety of infections, including aseptic meningitis, hand, foot, and mouth disease, herpangina,...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Naegleria fowleri is an amoeba found in freshwater and soil. Infection results when the amoeba enters the nose and travels to the...
Bioterrorism is a form of terrorism where there is the intentional release of biological agents such as viruses, germs, or...
West Nile Virus
West Nile virus (West Nile encephalitis) is a brain infection caused by a virus. People become infected with the virus after...
Aphasia is a condition that is the result of damage to portions of the brain. It can be caused by stroke, head injury, brain...
Meningococcemia is a bloodstream infection caused by Neisseria meningitides. Meningococcemia symptoms include fever, headache,...
Coma is the inability to waken or react to the surrounding environment. The Glasgow Coma Scale is frequently used to measure the...
Antibiotic Resistance (Drug Resistance, Antimicrobial Resistance)
Drug resistance (antimicrobial resistance) is the ability of bacteria, fungi, parasites, and viruses to grow, even in the...
Arachnoiditis is a painful condition that is caused by the inflammation of the arachnoid, a membrane that protects the nerves of...
Travelers should prepare for their trip by visiting their physician to get the proper vaccinations and obtain the necessary...
Spina Bifida and Anencephaly (Neural Tube Defects)
Spina bifida is the most common neural tube defect in the United States. There are four types of spina bifida; 1) occulta, 2)...
Enterovirulent E. coli (EEC)
Enterovirulent Escherichia coli (E. coli) are strains of related bacteria that have a strong propensity to cause gastrointestinal...
Headaches in Children
Kids get headaches and migraines too. Many adults with headaches started having them as kids, in fact, 20% of adult headache...
A spinal tap or an epidural block can cause a spinal headache. In these procedures, a needle is placed within the fluid-filled...
Mastoiditis (Acute, Chronic, Symptoms, Treatment, Cure)
Mastoiditis in children and adults is inflammation and/or infection of the mastoid bone, which is located behind the ear. The...
Encephalitis and Meningitis - Treatments
What was the treatment for your encephalitis or meningitis?Post View 6 Comments
Meningitis - Symptoms
What symptoms did you experience with your meningitis?Post View 6 Comments
Meningitis - Experience
Please describe your experience with meningitis.Post View 2 Comments
Encephalitis - Symptoms
What were the symptoms of your encephalitis?Post View 2 Comments
Encephalitis - Experience
Please describe your experience with encephalitis.Post View 2 Comments
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Stiff Neck
- Neck Pain (Cervicalgia)
- Memory Loss
- Altered Mental Status
- Unsteady Gait
- Abnormal Facial Expressions
- Unusual Behavior
- Loss of Speech
- Catatonia (Catatonic Behavior)
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Seizure (Epilepsy)
- Lack of Facial Expressions
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Pharmacist Faces Trial Over Deadly U.S. Meningitis Outbreak
- Vaccine Campaign in Poor Countries to Save 20 Million Lives
- Vaccination 101: Make Sure Kids Are Up to Date
- Mother Advocates for Newborn Safety After a Kiss Leads to Her Baby's Death
- Rat Lungworm: A Nasty Parasite With an Uglier Name
- Roundup May Have to Carry Cancer Warning in California
- Compounding Pharmacy Co-Founder to Be Sentenced for Deadly Meningitis Outbreak
- Houston, You Have a 'Superbug'
- Contagious Bacteria Linked to Outbreak in Liberia
- Far Fewer Kids Are Dying Worldwide, but Gains Are Uneven
- Compounding Center Co-Founder Not Guilty of Murder in Deadly Meningitis Outbreak
- Drought May Beckon Bigger West Nile Outbreaks
- First Criminal Trial in Meningitis Outbreak Caused by Tainted Steroids
- Mumps Cases Hit 10-Year High in U.S.
- Health Tip: When Your Neck Aches
- Protein in Breast Milk May Reduce Hospital Infections in Preemies
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis Cases Rising in Kids: FAQ
- More Parents Believe Vaccines Are Unnecessary
- Meningitis B Vaccine Falls Short of Expectations
- Novel Brain Cancer Treatment Taps Into Sound Waves
- Start of School Year Calls for Vaccine Check
- Certain Antibiotics Linked to Hearing Loss, Mouse Study Finds
- Infectious-Disease Expert Debunks Common Vaccine Myths
- New Bacterial Meningitis Vaccine Approved
- CDC Warns of Listeria Danger From Caramel Apples
- Newer Pneumonia Vaccine for Kids Beats Older Version: Study
- FDA Approves New Vaccine to Protect Against Meningitis
- Where Ebola Battles Are Won
- Common Childhood Vaccine Cuts 'Superbug' Infection: Study
- Most U.S. Babies Get Their Vaccines: CDC
- 2 Vaccines Help Cut Bacteria That Cause Meningitis, Study Finds
- Doctors Urge Meningitis Shots for Vulnerable Infants, Children
- Scientists Map DNA of Deadly Fungus
- Same Meningitis Strain Behind Drexel, Princeton Outbreaks: CDC
- Pregnant Women May Be More Vulnerable to Potentially Dangerous Infection: Study
- Meningitis Outbreaks: FAQ
- As More Meningitis Cases Hit Colleges, Experts Urge Awareness
- Princeton Students Safe to Travel Despite Meningitis Outbreak: CDC
- Infections From Tainted Steroids Ranged in Severity: Update
- Health Highlights: Sept. 13, 2013
- Health Highlights: Sept. 12, 2013
- Fungus From Tainted Steroid Shots Migrated to Base of Brain, Study Shows
- MRIs Spot 'Hidden' Fungal Infections From Tainted Steroid Shots
- Man Relapsed After Treatment for Meningitis Tied to Tainted Injections
- Infections From Tainted Spine Injections Continue to Baffle Investigators
- Deadly Meningitis Cases Worry Gay Community
- Childhood Meningitis Tied to Reduced Education, Employment Prospects
- Health Highlights: April 17, 2013
- Health Highlights: April 17, 2013
- Health Highlights: April 15, 2013
- Combo Therapy Helps Knock Out Fungal Meningitis
- Whooping Cough Vaccine for Pregnant Women Among New Recommendations
- TB Drug Shortages Put U.S. Patients in Peril, Study Finds
- Childhood Vaccine Schedule Is Safe, Report Says
- Cases of Rare But Deadly Encephalitis Rising Among Kids, Report Finds
- Health Highlights: Dec. 28, 2012
- Fungal Meningitis Patients: A Long Road to Recovery
- FDA, States Weigh Pharmacy Regulation in Wake of Meningitis Outbreak
- Secondhand Smoke Puts Children at Risk for Meningitis
- Latest West Nile Tally: 5,245 Cases, 236 Deaths
- Meningitis/Steroid Toll Now 34 Dead
- Meningitis Outbreak Toll Now 33 Dead, 480 Sickened, CDC Says
- Compounding Pharmacists Oppose Greater U.S. Oversight
- Owner of Meningitis-Linked Pharmacy Declines to Testify Before Congress
- Congress to Open Hearings Into Steroid/Meningitis Outbreak
- Steroid Shots for Sciatica: Benefits Only Brief, Analysis Finds
- Steroid-Meningitis Toll Now 32 Dead, 438 Sickened, CDC Says
- Steroid-Meningitis Toll Now 31 Dead, 424 Sickened, CDC Says
- Report Details Start of Steroid Meningitis Outbreak
- CDC: West Nile Toll Now 5,054 Cases, 228 Deaths
- Spine Infections Hit Fungal Meningitis Survivors
- FDA: More Tainted Products at Firm Tied to Meningitis Outbreak
- More Drug Shortages in Fungal Meningitis Aftermath
- Meningitis-Linked Infections Now Number 386, CDC Says
- FDA: 2 More NECC Drugs Contaminated
- 2nd Pharmacy Recalls Thousands of Drugs
- Fungal Meningitis Outbreak Toll Now 28 Dead, 363 Sickened
- FDA Finds Mold, Germs at Compounding Pharmacy
- Cases Linked to Fungal Meningitis Now Number 328
- West Nile Cases Pass 4,700 Mark Nationwide: CDC
- Back Pain? Steroid Shots May Raise Fracture Risk
- Records Show Problems at Steroid Pharmacy as Far Back as '06
- Mass. Launches Criminal Probe of Firm Linked to Meningitis Outbreak: Report
- Meningitis Outbreak Toll Now 23 Dead, 297 Sickened: CDC
- Meningitis Outbreak Toll Now 23 Dead, 284 Sickened: CDC
- Latest Meningitis Outbreak Toll: 20 Deaths and 257 Infections, CDC Says
- West Nile Cases Pass 4,500 Mark Nationwide: CDC
- FDA Agents Visit Mass. Company Linked to Meningitis Outbreak
- Tainted Steroid Injections May Affect Those Treated for Joint Pain
- New Warnings in Fungal Meningitis Outbreak
- Fungal Meningitis Q&A
- Official: Pharmacy Tied to Meningitis Outbreak May Have Broken State Law
- Meningitis Crisis Expands; More Infections, Deaths
- Meningitis Toll Now 12 Dead, 137 Sick: CDC
- West Nile Cases Continue to Climb, CDC Says
- Another Meningitis Scare Emerges, Targeting NYC's Gay Men
- What Are Compounding Pharmacies?
- Up to 13,000 Got Steroid Shots at Center of Meningitis Outbreak: CDC
- Fresh Blood as Good as Older Blood for Preemie Transfusions: Study
- Steroid-Related Meningitis Cases Now Total 91, CDC Says
- Death Count Rising in Meningitis Outbreak
- West Nile Cases Continue to Climb, CDC Says
- Health Tip: What's Behind Epilepsy?
- Health Highlights: Oct. 4, 2012
- West Nile Cases Rise by 400 Since Last Week: CDC
- West Nile Cases Still Rising; Death Toll Now at 134, CDC Says
- West Nile Up 35%, but CDC Says Peak Has Passed
- West Nile Death, Paralysis Toll Climbs
- Beyond Statistics: 2 Faces of West Nile Virus
- West Nile Virus Cases Continue to Climb
- West Nile Virus: Who's at Risk?
- West Nile Outbreak on Track to be Worst Ever
- New West Nile Threat: Kidney Disease
- Dallas Launches Insecticide Spraying Against West Nile Virus
- New Vaccine May Offer Protection From Deadly Nipah Virus
- West Nile Virus on the Rise in US: CDC
- Shots Should Be on College Kids' Back-to-School List
- Annual Report on U.S. Kids' Health a Mixed Bag
- Health Tip: Do I Need the Meningococcal Vaccine?
- Study: More Pre-Teens Get Vaccines When Middle Schools Require Them
- Parents Often Right to Bring Kids With Fever to the ER: Study
- New Meningitis Vaccine Works in Infants: Study
- Pediatricians' Group Recommends HPV Vaccine for Boys
- Health Highlights: Jan. 24, 2012
- Vaccine Against Bacterial Meningitis Shows Promise
- Hearing Devices More Apt to Fail in Children Who Had Meningitis
- More Teens Getting Vaccines Against HPV, Other Infections: CDC
- Listeria/Cantaloupe Death Toll Sets Record
- 2 More Deaths in Listeria/Cantaloupe Outbreak
- Listeria Outbreak Now 2nd Largest in U.S. History
- 18 Deaths, 100 Cases in Listeria/Cantaloupe Outbreak
- Listeria: Are You at Risk?
- 8 Dead From Listeria-Contaminated Cantaloupes
- Second Listeriosis Death From Contaminated Cantaloupes
- CDC Warning: Deadly Listeria in Cantaloupe
- CDC: Vaccination Rates for Toddlers Rising
- Vaccines for Teens: Still Room for Improvement
- Brain-Eating Amoeba FAQ
- West Nile Virus in 15 States
- Hib Disease Increasing Among Adults
- FDA OKs Meningitis Vaccine for Infants
- Do You Know When NOT to Call 911?
- FDA Warns Lamictal Can Cause Meningitis
- Menveo Vaccine Approved for Bacterial Meningitis
- Meningitis Shot Available, Effective Year-Round
- Meningitis Vaccine Gets Expanded Approval
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter