Emphysema is a COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) that often occurs with other obstructive pulmonary problems and chronic bronchitis. Causes of emphysema include chronic cigarette smoking, exposure to secondhand smoke, air pollution, and in the underdeveloped parts of the world. Symptoms of emphysema include chronic cough, chest discomfort, breathlessness, and wheezing. Treatments include medication and lifestyle changes. Read more: Emphysema Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) Quiz
COPD is a combination of three conditions? Take this quiz to learn the three conditions that make up the pulmonary disease called...
COPD Lung Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment
COPD is a pulmonary disorder caused by obstructions in the airways of the lungs leading to breathing problems. Learn about COPD...
Picture of Bronchioles
A tiny tube in the air conduit system within the lungs that is a continuation of the bronchi and connects to the alveoli (the air...
Picture of Lungs
The lungs are a pair of spongy, air-filled organs located on either side of the chest (thorax). See a picture of the Lungs and...
COPD Foods to Boost Your Health - COPD Diet Tips
Boost your energy and combat COPD with these diet tips. Which foods can help patients with COPD? Which foods to avoid for COPD?...
10 Smart Exercises for People With COPD: Pictures
Learn 10 exercises for people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). If you have COPD, give your muscles more oxygen...
Effects of Secondhand Smoke: Facts
The effects of secondhand smoke can be hazardous to your health. Secondhand smoke can lead to lung cancer, heart disease, and...
IMAGESSee a medical illustration of bronchitis plus our entire medical gallery of human anatomy and physiology See Images
Related Disease Conditions
12 Congestive Heart Failure Symptoms, Stages, Causes, and Life Expectancy
Congestive heart failure (CHF) refers to a condition in which the heart loses the ability to function properly. Heart disease,...
Pneumonia is inflammation of the lungs caused by fungi, bacteria, or viruses. Symptoms and signs include cough, fever, shortness...
Polycythemia (High Red Blood Cell Count)
Polycythemia (elevated red blood cell count) is a rare blood disease in which the body produces too many red blood cells....
19 Tips on How to Stop a Cough
Coughing is a reflex that helps a person clear their airways of irritants. There are many causes of an excessive or severe...
Bronchitis (Acute) Contagoius Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Recovery Time
Bronchitis is inflammation of the airways in the lung. Acute bronchitis is is short in duration (10 to 20 days) in comparison...
Marfan syndrome is hereditary (genetic) condition affecting connective tissue. A person with Marfan syndrome may exhibit the...
COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) Symptoms, Causes, Stages, Life Expectancy
COPD or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is a lung condition caused by smoking tobacco, exposure to secondhand smoke, and/or...
Heart failure (congestive) is caused by many conditions including coronary artery disease, heart attack, cardiomyopathy, and...
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs, PVC)
Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs, PVC) are premature heartbeats originating from the ventricles of the heart. PVCs are...
Angina (Symptoms, Causes, Types, Diagnosis, and Treatment)
Angina is chest pain due to inadequate blood supply to the heart. Angina symptoms may include chest tightness, burning,...
Chest pain is a common complaint by a patient in the ER. Causes of chest pain include broken or bruised ribs, pleurisy,...
Cough (Chronic, Persistent Cough in Adults and Children)
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such as asthma, allergic...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Ehlers-Danlos syndromes are genetic disorders that include symptoms such as loose joints, tissue weakness, easy bruising, and...
Chagas Disease (American Trypanosomiasis or Kissing Bug Disease)
Chagas disease is an infection caused by the T. cruzi parasite. Symptoms of Chagas disease include rash, swollen lymph nodes,...
Atrial Fibrillation (AFib) Symptoms, ECG, and Treatment Medications
Atrial fibrillation (AF or AFib) is an abnormality in the heart rhythm which involves irregular and often rapid beating of the...
Chronic Bronchitis (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Remedies)
Chronic bronchitis is a cough that occurs daily with production of sputum that lasts for at least three months, two years in a...
Pulmonary Hypertension (Symptoms, Treatment Medications, Life Expectancy)
Pulmonary hypertension is an increase pressure in the pulmonary arteries that carry blood from the lungs to the heart. The most...
Smoker's Lung: Pathology Photo Essay
Smoker's lung photo essay is a collection of pictures and microscopic slides of lung disease caused by cigarette smoking....
Palpitations (Causes and Symptoms)
Palpitations are uncomfortable sensations of the heart beating hard, rapidly, or irregularly. Some types of palpitations are...
COPD vs. Emphysema (Differences Similarities)
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) is the term doctors and other health care professionals use to describe a group of...
Lung Anatomy (Structure and Function)
The lungs are primarily responsible for the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide between the air we breathe and the blood....
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Bronchiectasis has three types, 1) cylindrical bronchiectasis, 2) saccular or varicose bronchiectasis, and 3) cystic...
Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency (Symptoms, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency (AATD) is an inherited disorder caused by mutations in the SERPINA1 gene. People with the...
COPD vs. Asthma (Differences and Similarities)
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and asthma both have common symptoms like coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath,...
Secondhand smoke can cause illness and disease in nonsmokers. Some of these conditions include lung cancer, heart disease,...
Nicotine is delivered to the brain through smoking, chewing, or sniffing tobacco. Nicotine is an addictive agent. Common names...
There are many unusual symptoms of asthma, including sighing, difficulty sleeping, anxiety, chronic cough, recurrent walking...
Emphysema, Chronic Bronchitis, and Colds
If you have a COPD such as emphysema, avoiding chronic bronchitis and colds is important to avoid a more severe respiratory...
Local ResourcesFind a local Pulmonologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- prednisone (Prednisone Intensol, Rayos) Corticosteroid
- Bronchodilators (Drug Class)
- ipratropium bromide inhaler (Atrovent)
- nicotine patch (Nicoderm CQ, Habitrol)
- albuterol and ipratropium inhaler (Combivent Respimat)
- budesonide (oral inhalation, Pulmicort, Pulmicort Flexhaler)
- budesonide (Entocort EC, Uceris)
- terbutaline, Brethine, Bricanyl, and Brethaire are no longer available in the U.S.
- Nicorette Gum (nicotine polacrilex, Habitrol)
- Advair Diskus, Advair HFA (fluticasone and salmeterol oral inhaler)
- albuterol (Accuneb, Ventolin & Proventil [all discontinued])
- formoterol powder in capsule - oral inhalation, Foradil
- salmeterol (Serevent)
- hydrocodone/homatropine (Hycodan [discontinued] Tussigon)
- budesonide/formoterol hfa inhaler (Symbicort)
- tiotropium bromide and olodaterol (Stiolto Respimat)
- alpha-1 proteinase inhibitor, Prolastin-C
- fluticasone disk inhaler - oral, Flovent Rotadisk
Prevention & Wellness
- AHA News: Emphysema May Raise Risk of Ruptured Aneurysms
- Daily Aspirin Might Ease COPD Flare-Ups
- As Air Pollution Increases, so Do ER Visits
- Daily Vitamin D Could Be a Lifesaver for Some COPD Patients
- Selecting the Right Style of Yoga for You
- Smoking Seems to Weaken the Immune System: Study
- Florence's Lingering Threat: Mold
- Trump Plan to Relax Coal-Fired Power Plant Rules Could Lead to 1,400 Deaths a Year
- Wildfire Smoke Causing Poor Air Quality in U.S. Pacific Northwest
- Moon Dust a Health Hazard?
- Bioengineered Lungs Successfully Transplanted Into Pigs
- Summers Less Smoggy Now, But Winter Air Hasn't Improved
- Vaping Medical Pot May Not Ease COPD Symptoms: Study
- Air Pollution at National Parks Keeps Visitors Away
- Health Tip: Asbestos Tips For Homeowners
- Warming Climate, More AC -- and More Unhealthy Smog Ahead
- Vitamin D Deficiency Could Be Lung Disease Risk
- Coal Miners Face Growing Wave of Black Lung Disease
- COPD Is an Adult Killer, But Its Origins May Lie in Childhood
- Regular Use of Bleach Linked to COPD
- Statins May Help People With COPD Live Longer
- Long-Acting Inhaler May Help in Early Stage COPD, Too
- Death Rate Drops for Americans Hospitalized With COPD
- U.S. Medical Groups Sound the Alarm on Climate Change
- Can an Apple a Day Keep COPD Away?
- Just 1 Cigarette a Day Can Be Deadly: Study
- Many Women With Chronic Ills Don't Use Online Tools
- CDC Reveals Top 5 Causes of Death
- Oxygen Therapy Little Help for Those With Milder COPD
- When Indoor Temps Rise, So Do COPD Symptoms
- COPD Deaths Down for Most Americans: CDC
- Is Pot Harder on the Heart Than Tobacco?
- 'Heat Dome' Not Budging Until Week's End
- Depression Plagues Many With COPD
- COPD Discovery Might Improve Treatment
- Many COPD Patients Have Trouble Finding Care
- Exercise May Extend Lives of People With COPD
- Smog's Health Effects Persist for Decades, Study Finds
- Study Casts Doubt on Effectiveness of COPD Drug
- Coils in Lungs Might Boost Ability to Exercise With Emphysema
- Implanted Lung Valves Show Promise in Some Emphysema Patients
- Millions of Smokers May Have Undiagnosed Lung Disease
- COPD Raises Cardiac Death Risk for Those With Irregular Heartbeat
- Rural Poor Bear Higher Burden of COPD, Study Finds
- More Evidence of Long-Term Illness in 9/11 Responders
- COPD Takes Big Toll on Employment, Mobility in U.S.
- Healthy Diet May Be Linked to Lower Risk of Lung Disease
- Nearly Half of Older Adults With Asthma, COPD Still Smoke: CDC
- Some Expert Tips to Help Smokers Finally Quit in 2015
- Sleep Apnea May Raise Risk for Dementia
- Some Lung Patients Buy Cigarettes Along With Meds at Pharmacies: Study
- Certain COPD Meds Might Raise Heart Risks, Study Says
- Long-Term Use of Antibiotic May Help Those With COPD
- Study: Lungs From Heavy Smokers OK for Transplant
- Women's Smoking Deaths at All-Time High in U.S.
- Pictures Speak Louder Than Words on Cigarette Labeling
- Death Rates Drop for 5 Top Causes of Death
- Health Tip: Help Keep COPD in Check
- Tai Chi Benefits People With COPD
- More Americans Have at Least 2 Chronic Health Issues: CDC
- FDA Approves New Inhaler for COPD
- Fatigue in COPD Patients Often Precedes Hospitalization: Study
- Cough Medicine and Cough Syrups
- COPD Can Put a Damper on Sex Life
- 'Self-Managing' COPD Might Pose Risks, Study Suggests
- Acupuncture May Be Worth a Shot for COPD
- Screening for Other Health Problems May Aid COPD Survival
- Warnings on Cigarette Packs May Keep Ex-Smokers From Relapse
- Half of Cancer Survivors Die From Other Conditions
- Secondhand Smoke in Childhood Linked to Lung Disease Years Later
- Cured Meat Products Linked to Lung Disease Flare-Ups
- Study Maps Path From Smoking to Emphysema in Mice
- Study: Vitamin D Has No Clear Benefit for COPD Patients
- Walking Speed May Indicate Severity of COPD
- Vitamin E May Lower Women's Lung Disease Risk
- Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Could Affect Health
- Test May Reveal Early Signs of Emphysema