Have you been doing enough to maintain a healthy emotional balance? Here are 12 tips from the experts for reducing stress, managing negative emotions, and improving your emotional wellness. Read more: Emotional Wellness Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
The Surprising Health Benefits of Sex
How would you like a stronger immune system or better sleep? Action between the sheets can help you get all of this and more....
Men, Love, and Sex: 18 Secrets Guys Wish You Knew in Pictures
What do men really want you to know about them? For better intimacy, learn these 18 secrets guys wish you Knew about sex, love,...
Healthy Aging: How to Live a Longer Life
What is the best diet for longevity? What's the secret to living longer? Do vegetarians live longer? How can you live a longer...
Alcohol Abuse: 12 Health Risks of Chronic Heavy Drinking
Read about the health risks of chronic heavy or binge drinking. Anemia, cancer, gout, cardiovascular disease and many more...
Eating Disorders: Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge Eating
Learn about different types of eating disorders. Discover the warning signs of binge eating disorder, anorexia and bulimia. Read...
Managing Concentration Killers: Smartphones, Social Media, and More
Finding it hard to concentrate? If you lack focus and attention, it may be internet addiction or the negative effects of social...
Healthy Aging: Sneaky Depression Triggers in Pictures
There are many causes and triggers of depression. From too little vitamin B12 to too much time alone, look at these surprising...
Top 15 Immune System Boosters
Immune system boosters include foods, supplements, and lifestyle habits to help you fight off infections. A healthy immune system...
Menopause Quiz: Symptoms & Signs
The Menopause Quiz challenges your knowledge about the time in a woman’s life when menstruation ceases. Menopause can bring many...
Stress Quiz: Test Your Emotional IQ
Stress creeps into everyone's life at one time or another, while some people will suffer from poorly managed chronic stress. If...
Grief, Bereavement, and Mourning Quiz: Test Your Understanding
Grieving? Whatever your method of dealing with grief, it’s perfectly normal. Take the Grief, Bereavement, and Mourning Quiz to...
Depression Quiz: Signs & Symptoms
Many people do not recognize the symptoms and warning signs of depression and depressive disorders in children and adults. With...
Happiness Quiz: Positive Attitude
Take the Happiness Quiz! Plenty of people live in pleasant, fulfilling satisfaction. Is it sex or money that factors into happier...
Fibromyalgia Treatments and Tips to Ease Pain and Other Symptoms
What is fibromyalgia? Learn about fibromyalgia symptoms such as trigger points (also called tender points), learn what causes...
For Men Only: 15 Ways to Stay On Top of Your Game
See how first impressions, staying active, good hygiene and more lifestyle tips can improve your overall health and well-being.
Related Disease Conditions
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems, and irritability. Anxiety disorders are serious medical illnesses that affect approximately 19 million American adults. Treatment for anxiety may incorporate medications and psychotherapy.
Cystic fibrosis is a disease of the mucus and sweat glands. Cystic fibrosis is an inherited disease. The outcome of the disease leaves the body malnourished, with bulky and fouls smelling stools, vitamin insufficiency, gas, painful or swollen abdomen, infertility, susceptible to heat emergencies, and respiratory failure. There is no cure for cystic fibrosis, treatment of symptoms is used to manage the disease.
Suicide is the process of intentionally ending one's own life. Approximately 1 million people worldwide commit suicide each year, and 10 million to 20 million attempt suicide annually.
IBS Triggers (Prevention)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a functional disease that can affect the quality of those who suffer from this condition. People with IBS can make lifestyle changes that may modify or control the number and severity of episodes. Certain foods, medications, and hormone levels may trigger IBS episodes, for example fatty foods, dairy products, eating foods in large quantities, foods that contain high levels of sorbitol, foods that produce intestinal gas (broccoli, onions, cabbage, and beans), chocolate, caffeine, physiological stress, some antibiotics, some antidepressants, medicine with sorbitol, and menstrual pain. Exercise, diet, and other lifestyle changes can decrease IBS flares, and prevent the number and severity of IBS episodes of diarrhea and constipation.
Menstrual Cramps and PMS (Premenstrual Syndrome) Treatment
Menstrual cramps and premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms include abdominal cramping, bloating, a feeling of fullness, abdominal pain, mood swings, anxiety and more. Treatment for menstrual cramps and premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms include regular sleep, exercise, smoking cessation, diet changes, and OTC or prescription medication depending on the severity of the condition.
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep needs vary from individual to individual and change throughout your life. The National Institutes of Health recommend about 7-9 hours of sleep each night for older, school-aged children, teens, and most average adults; 10-12 for preschool-aged children; and 16-18 hours for newborns. There are two stages of sleep; 1) REM sleep (rapid-eye movement), and 2) NREM sleep (non-rapid-eye movement). The side effects of lack of sleep or insomnia include: Irritability Tiredness Feeling sleepy during the day Concentration or memory problems Lack of sleep and insomnia can be caused by medical conditions or diseases, medications, stress, or pain. The treatment for lack of sleep and insomnia depends upon the cause.
Alzheimer's disease is a common cause of dementia. Symptoms and warning signs of Alzheimer's disease include memory loss, difficulty performing familiar tasks, disorientation to time and place, misplacing things, and more. The biggest risk factor for Alzheimer's disease is increased age. Treatment for Alzheimer's is often targeted toward decreasing the symptoms and progression of the disease.
Mental health is an optimal way of thinking, relating to others, and feeling. All of the diagnosable mental disorders fall under the umbrella of mental illness. Depression, anxiety, and substance-abuse disorders are common types of mental illness. Symptoms and signs of mental illness include irritability, moodiness, insomnia, headaches, and sadness. Treatment may involve psychotherapy and medication.
Alternative Treatment for MS (CAM for MS)
The term alternative therapy, in general, is used to describe any medical treatment or intervention that has not been scientifically documented or identified as safe or effective for a specific condition. Alternative therapy encompasses a variety of disciplines that range from diet and exercise to mental conditioning to lifestyle changes.
Post-polio syndrome (PPS) is a group of signs and symptoms that show up two to four decades after the initial polio infection. Symptoms of PPS include fatigue, pain, sleep disorders, muscle twitching, gastrointestinal problems, and weakness. Treatment focuses on slowing down to conserve energy and relieving symptoms with pain relievers.
Alzheimer's Disease Patient Caregiver Guide
Caring for a loved one or patient with Alzheimer's can become a difficult and overwhelming task at times. This guide helps caregivers of individual's with Alzheimer's deal with communicating, bathing, and dressing; as well as problem solving with incontinence, sleeping, wandering; and coping with difficulties Alzheimer's patients present.
Local ResourcesFind a local Psychiatrist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Menopause FAQs
- Depression FAQs
- Happiness FAQs
- Grief Bereavement Mourning FAQs
- Stress FAQs
- Stress: 8 Immediate Stress-Busters
- Home and Family
- Age Appropriate Halloween Tips for Kids
- Ten Health Benefits of a Healthy Sex Life
- Suicide Warning Signs
- 6 Tips to Stress-Proof Your Family Vacation
- 7 Tips to Make Holiday Travel Less Stressful
- Food: How it Affects Your Moods
- Un-Clutter Your Kitchen Before the Holidays
- Eating Disorders: Learn the Facts About Men and Women
- Eating Disorders: Binge Eating
- Life Coach: Get Your Life in Shape!
- Eating Disorders: Battling Bulimia
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Saying 'I Understand' Makes a Real Difference, Study Shows
- Affection, at Least for Women, May Be Rooted in Genes
- Why Are Some People More Sensitive Than Others? Genes May Tell
- Mindfulness May Ease the Emotional Burden of MS
- The Wellness Boost of a Purposeful Life
- The 4 Keys to Emotional Well-Being
- Worry Less for Better Health
- Wellness Programs Take Hold in American Workplaces
- Health Tip: Anger Management
- Kids With Autism 'In Tune' With Mom's Feelings: Study
- Health Tip: Becoming a Step Parent
- Developing Self-Compassion: How to Show Yourself Some Love
- Is Air Pollution a Downer?
- Ditch Your Leisure To-Do List
- Health Tip: Improve Your Emotional Wellness
- Health Tip: Nurture Your Emotional Health as a Cancer Patient
- Making Your Child Apologize May Backfire
- It Really Is Better to Give Than Receive
- Take Time for 'Me Time'
- Science Says 'Hug It Out'
- Sharing May Be Contagious
- How to Reassure Kids When Florence Strikes
- The Cat's Meow: The Emotional Boost of Cute Videos
- From Pigs to Peacocks, What's Up With Those 'Emotional-Support Animals'?
- As Weather Changes, So Do Social Media Posts
- Tiny Changes in Facial Color Telegraph Your Emotions
- Jobs That Keep the Mind Sharp … Even Into Retirement
- Young Cancer Survivors Finding Support From Social Networks
- Guns Still Found in Homes With Unstable Kids
- Money Can Buy You Happiness, But Only So Much
- The Value of Unplugging
- Be 'Mindful' of the Hype
- For Some, Too Much Sweat Takes Emotional Toll
- Sex, Drugs, Rock & Roll Trigger Same Good Feelings in Brain
- If You Can't Stay Off Social Media, Maybe It's in Your Genes
- 'Emotional Hangover' Is Real and Affects Future Experiences: Study
- Optimism May Propel Women to a Longer Life
- On-the-Job Rudeness Spreads Easily
- United States Ranks in Top 10 for Empathy
- 'Doc, This Election's Killing Me!'
- Surprise! Beer Makes You Happier, Friendlier
- For College Freshmen, Four-Legged Friends Chase Away Homesickness
- Sad Music Moves Those Who Are Empathetic
- 1 in 6 Younger Americans Wants to Die Before 80
- Job Seekers, Employers Agree: Face-to-Face Interviews Are Best
- Are Unemployed Husbands Fueling Divorce Rates?
- 'Walking Meetings' May Boost Employee Health, Productivity
- Road Rage Rampant in America
- Could More Fruits, Vegetables Make You Happier?
- Health Tip: Manage Emotional Stress
- Not Kidding: Childless Couples Happier
- Health Tip: Boost Your Mood
- Early Emotional Support May Help Kids Manage Feelings Later
- Horses May Know What You're Feeling, Study Suggests
- Surviving Spouse Still Influenced By the Other
- Could Genetics Be Key to a Nation's Happiness?
- Men Have Greater Self-Esteem Than Women, Especially in Developed Nations
- Meals on Wheels Can Deliver Emotional Nourishment, Too
- Scientists May Have Spotted Happiness' Home in the Brain
- Many Americans 30 and Older Find Happiness Elusive
- Online Psychotherapy May Help Some With Emotional Problems
- Good Moods Infectious Among Teens
- Smiling Can Lead to New Relationships
- Do People Transmit Happiness by Smell?
- Think More Sex Will Make You Happier? Think Again
- Glamour Shots on Dating Sites Draw More Prospects: Study
- Could Taking Acetaminophen Dull Your Happiness?
- Education Doesn't Guarantee Happiness
- Are Liberals Happier Than Conservatives?
- Health Tip: Handle Emotions in a Healthy Way
- Rx for Better Health Care: Kindness and Compassion
- Using Social Media to Manage Your Moods?
- Extroverts Happier Regardless of Culture, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Avoid Emotional Driving
- For Greater Happiness, Spend Your Money on 'Life Experiences': Study
- TV, Computer Time Tied to Heavier, Less Happy Kids: Study
- Yes, You Can Catch a Bad Mood on Facebook
- Shared Family Activities May Boost Preschoolers' Emotional Health
- Zest for Life Can Be a Moving Experience
- Gloomy Outlook May Be Genetic, Study Suggests
- Does Donating Bonus Money Make Folks Happy?
- Humans Hardwired to Feel Others' Pain, Study Finds
- Volunteering May Make People Happier, Study Finds
- Could Facebook Habit Make You Less Happy?
- Outgoing Young People Become Happier Seniors: Survey
- 'Retail Therapy' Might Not Be So Bad After All
- Do-Gooders May Be Doing Good Things for Their Genes: Study
- Singing Together Fosters Harmonious Hearts
- Green Spaces Boost City Dwellers' Well-Being
- People Happier When They Get More Sex Than Their Friends: Study
- Facebook a Boost for Your Self-Worth?
- 'Warm Glow' From Spending on Others Is Universal, Study Finds
- Facebook Users Take 'Unfriending' Seriously, Survey Finds
- A Good Mood May Boost Seniors' Brain Power
- Texting Doesn't Replace the Feel-Good Effects of Talking, Study Says
- People May Eat More When Headlines Bear Bad News
- Health Tip: Curb Late-Night Snacking
- Health Tip: Keep Your Emotions in Check
- Hiking in Nature May Boost Creativity
- Loneliness May Boost Odds of Dementia
- Happier Childhoods Tied to More Wealth as Adults: Study
- Human Intellect Backsliding From Lack of Evolutionary Pressure: Study
- Health and Happiness Are Not Always Linked
- Good Feelings About Ex-Employer May Boost Self-Esteem in Jobless
- Handshakes Matter for First Impressions, Brain Study Confirms
- Parents' Love in Infancy Pays Off Later, Study Finds
- Fruits Plus Vegetables Equals Happiness?
- Bride's Wedding Jitters May Forecast Stormy Marriage
- Where You Live May Boost Your Sense of Well-Being
- Scientists ID 'Happy' Gene in Women
- Meditation May Help Fight Loneliness, Study Says
- More Friends, Greater Well-Being at Midlife?
- Unhappy Kids Are More Materialistic, Study Finds
- College Students Who Binge Drink Say They're Happier
- When Partner Has Breast Cancer, Men Find Their Own Ways to Cope
- Alcohol Is a Social Lubricant, Study Confirms
- Psychological Abuse of Children May Be Common
- Body Language of Triumph Will Be on Display at Olympics
- Young Cancer Patients Often Lack Support: Study
- Selflessness Can Threaten Clergy Members' Health
- What Makes the End-of-Life Experience Peaceful?
- Chronic Pain May Depend on Emotional Reaction to Injury
- Loneliness Linked to Death, Disability
- More People Stay 'Connected' on Vacation Via Web: Study
- Dad's Love Can Be Crucial for Happy Childhood, Study Confirms
- 'Mindful' Meditation Tied to Healthy Brain Changes: Study
- Who's Touching You Affects How It Feels: Study
- Emotional Woes May Last for Childhood Cancer Survivors
- Optimism, Laughter May Bring Long Life
- Surly People Tend to Like Fierce Dogs, Study Shows
- Cancer Docs Often Deal With Own Grief, Doubts When Patients Die
- Diabetes Can Take a Toll on Your Emotions
- Evolution May Explain 'Runner's High,' Study Says
- Having 'Type D' Personality May Hurt Your Health
- Having a 'Purpose in Life' May Help Shield You From Dementia
- People Love Talking About Themselves, Brain Scans Show
- Multitasking Makes You Feel Good
- Positive Thinking, Persistence Pay Off in Job Search: Study
- Does Dopamine Explain Why Slackers Slack?
- Analytical Thinkers Seem to Be Less Religious, Study Suggests
- Wife's Breast Cancer Can Hurt Husband's Health Too: Study
- Could Your Personality Be Reflected in Your Pooch?
- 'No Regrets' Outlook May Make for Sunnier Old Age
- Online Dating Scams Can Take Emotional, Financial Toll
- Social Factors May Affect Lifespan More Than Race, Location
- Optimism Might Cut Your Risk for Heart Attack
- Even Preschoolers View the Overweight Negatively
- Study Probes How Sad Movies Make Viewers Happy
- Some Folks Just Can't Help Being Nice, Study Suggests
- Feeling 'Trapped,' Obligated Raises Odds of Job Burnout: Study
- Witnessing, Experiencing Traumatic Events May Worsen Heart Disease
- Narcissists Often Ace Job Interviews, Study Finds
- Pets at Work Keep Workers Happy
- Which Doctors Are Happiest? Healthiest?
- Could Trans Fats Make You Cranky?
- Hope and Optimism May Cloud Judgment in ICUs
- Top 5 Happiest States in the U.S.
- Toddlers With Angry Parents May Have More Temper Tantrums
- John, Mary, Joe: Simpler Names May Help You Get Ahead
- Best Friend Benefits Child's Mind, Body, Study Finds
- Depressed Kids May Be Targets for Bullying, Study Suggests
- Moving Homes Often in Childhood Might Affect Long-Term Health
- Facebook Might Be Tough on Users With Low Self-Esteem
- Kids Who Feel Left Out Are Less Active
- 'People Pleasers' More Prone to Overeating: Study
- Could a Blood Test Help Spot Depression?
- Worrying Too Much Might Raise Your Risk for Stroke
- What Would Jesus Do? Maybe Not What I'd Do, Survey of Christians Finds
- Even Strangers Can Make You Feel Left Out
- Winter Doldrums Got You Down? Here's How to Bounce Back
- People May Lie More When Texting: Study
- Living Together May Be Mentally Healthier Than Marriage: Study
- Ob-Gyns Should Screen for Domestic Abuse: Experts
- Work-Life Balance Tougher for Couples With Similar Jobs
- Grief May Boost Heart Attack Risk
- Most Adults With Facial Disfigurement Adapt Psychologically
- Need Help? Seek Out the Humble
- Poor People May Be Quicker to Be Kind
- Adversity, Trauma May Boost Mental Toughness
- Obesity Linked to Poor Mother-Toddler Bond
- The New Face of Pet Therapy
- Fears of Divorce May Be Keeping Many Young Couples From Marriage: Study
- Happiness Declining Among Twitter Users
- Are Working Moms Healthier and Happier?
- Health Tip: Is Your Relationship Healthy?
- Weight Gain, Need to Be Nice Are Holiday Season Gripes
- Think 'It's Not Me, It's You,' When Dealing With Angry Person
- ER Visits for Drug-Related Suicide Attempts Up in Men
- Therapy, Exercise Help Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- A Good Mood May Be Secret to Creativity
- Happy, Healthy, Valentine!
- In One Year, Out the Other
- 7 Relationship Problems and How to Solve Them
- Flu Prevention: Use Your Immune System!
- A Prescription for Holiday Blues
- Pet Prescription? Reduce Stress, Improve Health
- Dealing With the Jerk at Work
- 3 Easy Steps to Breaking Bad Habits
- Blissing Out: 10 Relaxation Techniques To Reduce Stress On-the-Spot
- Accentuating a Positive Attitude
- Overeating: Stop Your Binge Eating
- Look and Feel Great at Any Weight
- Emotional Eating: Feeding Your Feelings
- Anorexia, Eating Disorders Hitting Older Women
- Food and Your Mood
- Spring Break Makeover for the Mind
- Weight Loss: Are They Jealous of Your New Body?
- Self Image: Who's That Thin Person in the Mirror?
- Weight Gain: 'Freshman 15' More Than Weight Gain
- Self-Help: Popular, but Effective?
- Food Cravings & Emotional Eating
- Food Addictions and Cravings