Patient Comments: Electromyogram - Experience

Please describe your experience receiving an electromyogram.

Comment from: Thomas, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 16

I had an electromyogram today and found it a very unpleasant experience. The electrical jolts were unpleasant but not painful. The needles they stuck into the sides of my hand, however, were terrible. They were fine going in, but when they started moving them around it got very painful.

Comment from: KateyB, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I couldn't believe all these comments I read, they really scared me! I went and had a nerve test and electromyogram done today on both arms. Nothing to be scared about! The needle they use is so tiny, and the nerve test isn't bad at all. It is no worse than hitting your funny bone lightly. No pain after, no bruising, no swelling. And I am a wuss! So please don't be scared. As long as you go to someone good, you'll be fine! There are way worse tests out there. This is the least to be worried about!

Comment from: PPSpatient, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I had the nerve conduction velocity (NCV) which I believe is the painful test everyone is commenting about since they are using electrical current to measure the response of your nerves. It was a test my doctor warned me would hurt but was needed to confirm post-polio syndrome especially affecting my legs. Significant nerve damage was found and the test, which at times made me want to cry, was the most uncomfortable test I have ever had. At one time, I told the technician who was consistently increasing the voltage to try and get a response in one place, to stop or I was going to get up and leave. She moved on to the next place. But it wasn't just the electromyogram, it was the NCV.

Comment from: Jim D, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

I had an electromyogram yesterday, the needle pain was minimal, and the electrical impulse pain was only moderate. I would rate the discomfort total to about 3 on 10. Anxiety before test was high. I recommend not worrying prior to test, it's not very painful.

Comment from: Zokyah, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I had an electromyogram the day after I had a lumbar puncture (LP), and the first thing I thought afterwards was that I'd rather go through another LP than having to suffer another hour of being shocked again and again. They didn't use a needle, but it still hurt awfully, and the most difficult thing is the length of the experience. They kept increasing the voltage because they couldn't quite read the results. The doctors were rather nice, but they couldn't help hurting me, all that to confirm a diagnosis that was kind of already certain. I really hope I never have to do that again.

Comment from: Hurting, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

My electromyogram was a horrible experience. Placing the needles was no problem but some of the test was like connecting me to an electric fence and then turning on the power. I hope to never go through it again. At one point the shock made my reflexes in my body jump all over. The person doing the test said, 'Look, he looks like a chicken flapping his wings,' and then he did that test 3 more times. I cannot tell you how bad that hurt. I have tendinitis in my right shoulder that has not bothered me for a long time now. After taking this test it has been hurting now for over a week. I am also noticing a large floater in my eye that I did not notice before. I will not take this test again. I am questioning the doctor's office that gave me the test and wondering if it was really necessary.

Comment from: taurusmgt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I had 30 needles in my legs during my electromyogram and only felt the 1 behind my right knee. The rest I didn't feel at all.

Comment from: fibrogirl1, 45-54 (Patient) Published: July 10

I just got my electromyogram today. That hurts! I am not a foul word speaker, but it hurts. It was not 'uncomfortable', it hurt. I have a high tolerance for pain and I cried the entire second half and uncontrollably for 2 hours after I left. My doctor was rude, insulting and outright demeaning. And I do fill out the surveys. And I will fill out the survey for this visit.

Electromyogram - Diagnosis Question: Have you received an electromyogram? Did it diagnose your condition, and if so, what was causing your muscle weakness?