Patient Comments: EMG - Pain

Was your EMG painful? What diagnosis did you receive, and how was it treated? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Matt, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 21

I had an electromyogram (EMG) on both arms and legs today followed by the needle portion/nerve conduction velocity (NCV). The needle portion was not bad and felt like bee stings. I was not prepared for the EMG pain, it seems like each arm got around 50 shocks, with some back to back, and then several (10 zaps, back to back continuous). I felt exhausted after having it performed all over my body. I would compare it to touching an electric fence each time but when performed over all limbs is an exhausting experience. I would rate an 8 out of 10 on pain scale. Apparently the discomfort level varies from patient to patient and didn't bother some, but for other individuals like me it was not pleasant. It took 2 hours to perform EMG and an hour for NCV test for legs and arms.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter