Patient Comments: EMG - Pain

Was your EMG painful? What diagnosis did you receive, and how was it treated? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Danielle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I had an electromyogram (EMG) and nerve conduction velocity (NCV) study done today to evaluate muscle weakness in both of my legs. I was terrified after reading comments online, but I found it to be not painful at all. The shocks were the worst part, but they really were not bad. It felt like a static electricity shock. The needles were so thin that I almost didn't feel them. I had read that some people are in pain after the fact too, but so far I feel fine. I have definitely had worse medical procedures in my life. I did take a Xanax prior to going in, so that probably helped somewhat.

Comment from: Bethiepoo2, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I had my electromyogram (EMG) many years ago, and it was very painful as I remember. I was diagnosed with cervical and lumbar radiculopathy, peripheral neuropathy and fibromyalgia so it was worth it to get the test done. Today I have end-stage neuropathy with allodynia. I would probably not ever want to go through this again, doubt I could bear the pain as I am currently. Yes, it is painful, be prepared.

Comment from: Rantin Ricky, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 15

I just had my 2nd electromyogram (EMG). I am 67 year male with low pain tolerance. No problem! Pain was 4/10. Anxiety, apprehension and fear were much worse after reading how bad it could be. Not my experience at all.

Comment from: Sharon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

Electromyogram (EMG) was the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. He had to stop after he did both my legs and I was crying my eyes out. I have got to go back in two week to have my arms, neck and face done and I am dreading it, but I need answers and I won't get them if the test isn't completed.

Comment from: Matt, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 21

I had an electromyogram (EMG) on both arms and legs today followed by the needle portion/nerve conduction velocity (NCV). The needle portion was not bad and felt like bee stings. I was not prepared for the EMG pain, it seems like each arm got around 50 shocks, with some back to back, and then several (10 zaps, back to back continuous). I felt exhausted after having it performed all over my body. I would compare it to touching an electric fence each time but when performed over all limbs is an exhausting experience. I would rate an 8 out of 10 on pain scale. Apparently the discomfort level varies from patient to patient and didn't bother some, but for other individuals like me it was not pleasant. It took 2 hours to perform EMG and an hour for NCV test for legs and arms.

Comment from: Bill, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 08

I had electromyogram (EMG) performed in my left thigh which was already in pain. It's probably the worst pain I've had to endure. I was limping before I went in but by the time I got I couldn't get out of the car. I just hope I haven't got to have one again.

Comment from: Tim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

I just had an electromyogram (EMG) done today. It hurt so much I had to wave the white flag and tell her I can't take anymore.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter