Patient Comments: Electromyogram - Diagnosis

Have you received an electromyogram? Did it diagnose your condition, and if so, what was causing your muscle weakness? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I thought the first part of electromyogram (Tasering, cattle prodding, etc.) was extremely painful. It shook my whole body sometimes. It really messed up my nerves (head). I cried. I thought I would never do that again, but I need another one to see what is causing my pain this time. I'll be ready. I am not very tolerant to pain. It is probably one of the worst things I have had done to me, and I have had a lot done to me. The doctor inserting the needle was not very painful at all. I could feel it, but it is not like getting a shot or blood taken. He was very gentle. Too bad they have to do the 'torture treatment' first. It was awful. It did not diagnose my condition and we never got down to the cause, except thinking it was fibromyalgia. He did an MRI and I have a lot of issues with my back. It might be my sciatic nerve. I don't know if he checked for that or not, since my feet were bothering me more then and now it is my hip. So we do another; I hope it tells us what is causing the pain.

Comment from: Teresa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I had an electromyogram (EMG) done in my legs (I have a high tolerance for pain but the procedure made me want to jump off the table). I have four slipped discs in my lower lumbar and was having pain in my legs and burning sensations in my foot. The EMG identified a pinched nerve.

Comment from: JulieAnnJewelry, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had an electromyogram (EMG) yesterday. I didn't mind the test at all. The needle part was very tolerable and the electrical shocks were nothing to be afraid of! If you are having this test, don't stress, relax, and it will be fine. It was a piece of cake! Of course, my concern were the results. I have benign fasciculation syndrome. My muscles jump in my body causing cramps, pain, numbness etc. I never heard of this condition. It is not serious and there is no cure. It can go into remission. It is annoying, but a better diagnosis than so many dreaded diseases. It can be brought on by anxiety or stress. The doctor did put me on magnesium to see if that would help. If you develop this muscle twitching, don't assume the worst, it could be this condition that I have, annoying, but not life threatening. I did not have muscle weakness as a symptom.

Comment from: kroy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 04

I had an ECG on my left arm today. After the 6th or 7th shock apparently I passed out with my eyes open, in shock myself. They said they didn't have enough data for the test to be reliable. I no longer care if I have nerve damage in my hand as long as I never have to have that test done again. I didn't even make it to the EMG (electromyogram).

Comment from: Daisymae, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I just had an electromyogram (EMG) of the lower legs for extreme weakness and because of problems judging my ground which would cause me to fall. The doctor who performed the study said it was basically unremarkable so I guess they did not find what they were looking for in this test. From what I"ve read, this test is basically useless for most nerve problems and is only good at diagnosing superficial nerve loss. I don"t understand it except another way to gain money from a simply useless test.

Comment from: Juju1963, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I had an electromyogram years back and it was the toughest test, procedure or operation I've ever been through. My doctor wants to do another because I'm in so much pain. There has to be an easier way. I refuse to go through this again!

Comment from: unique_lady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I had electromyogram in both legs the legs. It hurt me so bad I was crying. I didn't need both legs checked out, they did both and both legs bother me now. It has been over a month. I can't see the doctor until January. I was told I was at the borderline, that's all the nurse could tell me.

Comment from: carmel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had an electromyogram (EMG) because I had Bell's palsy affecting my right face. The electric shocks were bearable but I had to hold on to a piece of cloth every time I was 'jolted' because it was painful. The insertion of the needles hurt terribly. But it was over quickly. The problem is my face felt sore that day and still feels sore even a week after.

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 (Patient) Published: March 07

The electromyogram proved I"m a myasthenia gravis (MG) patient. It was the worst thing I went through in my life. I had chills for a week afterwards and where needles were put in my head it still hurts to brush.

Comment from: jo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had my electromyogram done today and found it ranged from rather unpleasant to almost unbearable! I have a lot of tattoos and find them painless and always have had a high pain threshold. I am now wondering if this means my nerves are in fact fine and that's why it hurt so much. Or maybe it hurt so much because there is a problem. I have to wait another few weeks for my results.

Comment from: flyboy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

Had an electromyogram/nerve conduction velocity test (EMG/NCV) today for foot neuropathy, (non-diabetic), in both feet. The test was administered in both legs from knees down. Not so bad, but noticed my left foot had strange sensations tonight that I"ve never had before. Other than that, all is okay. Neuropathy levels are unaffected/altered. I feel lucky after reading about others experiences. I wish you all well.

Comment from: ssswimmer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had an electromyogram (EMG) 4 days ago because of leg pain. The nerve test was unpleasant and painful. It made my toes go numb during the test. The muscle part was torture. It was extremely painful when the electrode was inserted. I survived the test and if that was all there was to it, it would be ok. That night I felt like I had been electrocuted, every nerve in my body felt like it was on fire and I felt every pain I had ever had. My left arm had been feeling numb before the test, but now my right arm was numb also. My leg pain has increased and I have numbness in several parts of my body. The test came out normal! Think twice before you agree to have this test.

Comment from: Ruggedoasis, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I had a second electromyogram (EMG) and nerve conduction study on 3/19/14 and it was way worse than the C-section I had with my kids! Absolute torture! Then on top of that, both arms are bruised and swollen at the needle entry site, triceps. I have been in more pain than I have been in a year and a half! Unbelievable! Then to top it off, the doctor told me he was not sure why it was ordered since it won"t really show a pinched nerve in the neck! I went through this medieval torture for nothing... twice! I will never do this again!

Comment from: debpike, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I had these electromyogram tests a week ago. The shocking did not hurt at all. The needles didn't hurt until the doctor started poking around my spine. Worst pain I've ever been in. I actually cried. Then I calmed down enough to leave the office. As soon as I got in the car I was sobbing uncontrollably. I don't have the results yet. I used to think I had high tolerance for pain.

Comment from: Maron, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I had an electromyogram (EMG) last Wednesday - never again! I still have sizable bruises on my forearms from the electric shocks and a hole in my forearm muscle, where I was poked with needles. The worst was that I had to move my muscles against the needles so that the difference by the motion could be determined. The worst was when needles were stuck in the back of my neck and I had to bend my head forward - I started screaming. The testing took 3 hours and by the time it was over, I was exhausted. This to me is inhumane and belongs in the middle ages!

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter