Patient Comments: Electrolytes - Diagnosis

What was the diagnosis made from your electrolytes test? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Titi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I have low potassium, found from an electrolytes test. I've been seeing an endocrinologist and he was the only one who knew what to do to get it within normal range. I was 2.8 but now I'm holding steady at 4.4. This can be fixed with either medication or surgery. In my case, medication (Aldactone) is the answer as both of my adrenals are kicking out too much hormone. This is nothing to play with, please see a specialist.

Comment from: Natalie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I was diagnosed with Cushing's syndrome and it all stemmed from heart palpitations. They discovered my electrolytes where all messed up; I had very low potassium and magnesium which were causing my palpitations. The palpitations were so bad that my heartbeat was only about 30 normal beats a minute. I was to the point of passing out in the emergency room (ER), and they pumped me full of potassium and magnesium and I felt better. They did a CAT scan and discovered the tumor on my adrenal gland. That is when everything fell into place. I take 1200 mg potassium daily and 350 mg magnesium and now I wait until I can afford to take time off to have surgery.

Comment from: gerry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I have had some form of paroxysmal atrial tachycardia (PAT) since I was in my early 20s. I am 72 now. The way I control it the best is by controlling my electrolytes. I watch my sodium intake carefully. I try to keep it under 2000 mg per day. I take 1200 mg of potassium per day. I take 300 mg of magnesium per day. I take 1200 mg of calcium per day. All of my blood tests show normal amounts of these minerals in my blood. I also take 25mg of HCTZ per day, to control blood pressure, and it has 37.5 mg of a potassium saver in it also. People who do this should have their blood tested to make sure it is within normal limits. People with congestive heart failure could have high levels of potassium in their blood.

Comment from: stef, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I have low phosphorus as per my electrolytes test. I wonder if that is causing my heart to have runs of tachycardia and premature atrial beats.

Comment from: s a c, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

Now my problem is prostate gland infection (may be it will be scrotal reconstruction) and I have taken many medicines but it doesn't improve. Potassium level is high, and sodium is low in my electrolyte test. I am diabetic, have had bypass done, my heart pumping is very low (30 to 40 percent), and I have liver problem.

Comment from: Pat, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 19

From the electrolytes test, it was diagnosed that I have low sodium, but I also have stage 3 kidney disease and was told to limit my fluid intake. But through trial and error and observing that as soon as I get a fluid solution in the hospital my kidney functions improve, but with additional fluid I lose sodium so I eat about 3-4 teaspoons of sea salt daily. This keeps my sodium level at a normal rate for me, which is from 128 and 130. It has been at this level for years and my body is used to it.

Comment from: Joy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 15

Jean, I have exactly the same thing. About 2 months ago I had an extreme rapid drop in blood pressure due to my hypertension medication. Passed out, fell and broke 2 fingers. I underwent practically every test they could think of while in the hospital but was still having problems. Finally a kidney specialist diagnosed it as SIADH or hyponatremia. Put me on a restricted fluid intake of 32 oz per day. This has helped but I am still very weak and tire so easily. Hopefully in time this will all get better.

Comment from: aria926, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I have low sodium and low potassium. It seems like nothing I do makes a difference. It wouldn't bother me and I wouldn't worry if it wasn't affecting my health but a couple of weeks ago my heart stopped. It lasted only a few seconds but was followed by a rapid and erratic beat. I was so scared, I have never felt so close to death and if my heart had not started to beat again when it did I would have lost consciousness. I was sitting in class and I thought nobody would notice. I tried to yell to call 911 but I couldn't move. My shoulders and down both arms became tingly and felt weightless. My vision became blurred, except for in the center. It was like I was looking through a tunnel of blur and I was getting further away. It felt like a dream, only my spirit was slipping into the dream and my body was sitting in class. I am supposed to drink lots of water and add sea salt to everything. I am supposed to lie down flat if I feel it happening again. I don't have a diagnosis yet. My brother has the same symptoms and he was diagnosed with neurocardiogenic syncope. He told me that his sodium and potassium are low also. He carries pretzels everywhere he goes!

Comment from: gulchgirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I have the same problem. I started drinking V8 because it has the sodium and potassium in it. Will see if it helps.

Comment from: Mr., 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 04

Sodium 140mEq/L, Potassium 2.0mEq/L, Chloride 105 mEq/L

Comment from: jane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I have suffered from heart palpitations off and on for years. In an unrelated wellness exam, my doctor told me I was slightly dehydrated. (I confess I don't drink enough water). I have noticed that if I drink more water and I take potassium pills the heart palpitations stop.

Comment from: Jean, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I was diagnosed with Hyponatremia over a year ago. The doctor restricted my fluids to four cups a day. I was told that this is the only treatment for my condition. My sodium and chloride level have improved but not to the normal level. I have been told that should I drink more fluids, my sodium will drop back below normal level. I find my situation discouraging, and wonder if others have experienced this problem as well.

Comment from: d., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

Electrolytes are essential for your overall health and happiness. I had serious deficiencies in potassium and others over a long period due to eating disorders. This article is so beneficial for those who are trying to get stronger after severe stress of the body. I know for sure that I have severe muscle issues after years of consistent fluid loss without re-hydrating appropriately. I can only hope that I didn't cause any permanent damage and can recover.

Comment from: Akintola, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

My potassium level was 4.1 from a range of 3.2-5.2. I have just done another in and got a result of 7.2 from a range of 3.5-5.0! I am worried about this. I have since discovered my pulse reading is irregular and did and ECG which turned out normal.

Comment from: Dee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I was diagnosed with Syncope, Hypokalemia, Hyponatremia and hospitalized for 4 days. I collapsed in house and transported via ambulance to hospital.

Comment from: missmangolove, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 05

It would be nice to know what sources sodium, potassium, bicarbonate, and chloride can be found in. Thanks for writing this article otherwise as I found it top notch! Best wishes.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter