Patient Comments: Edema - Causes

What caused your case of edema?

Comment from: BJM, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I am having chemotherapy for breast cancer, and have edema in my wrists and hands. The oncologist says it's an effect from the chemotherapy.

Comment from: deadwood52, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I believe my edema is caused by taking Lyrica for my neuropathy. I am taking 150 mg dose twice daily and believe it is too high a dose. I started out with 75 mg 3 times daily. From my knees to my ankles the swelling and pain will get worse if I sit or stand too long. I have not seen my neurologist about this yet, but it seems to have started when I went to the higher dose.

Comment from: Joe, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I had ventral hernia repair almost 5 weeks ago. I don't know what caused it, I am not overweight and in pretty good shape. I was on pain medicines oxycodone for 3 days then ibuprofen for about 5 days. Gradually after about a week the pain began to subside. End of second week I went for exercise walks. I still experience slight pain in the surgery area around navel and mesh area. Mesh area near belt line is a little puffy and swollen. Doctor gave me limitations of 20 lb lifting after the 2 weeks. I have been off of work the whole time. I will be going back to the doctor today for a nod to go back to work after 5 weeks. A little worried about work requirements like lifting, pushing, pulling, etc. We'll see today.

Comment from: Terri, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I am or was a very healthy bike rider but had an accident and had a foot surgery in February and a shoulder surgery in March. At the time of the shoulder surgery I got the flu and was very sick for two weeks. Following that I began having severe swelling of hands, fingers, feet and lower legs, and also bilateral sides of my forehead, which fluid drains into periorbital edema. I've tried Lyrica for burning of hands but stopped. I've had three medicine packs which helped with fatigue. Rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, sedimentation rate, CRP, Sjogren's, scleroderma are all negative.

Comment from: Maggie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have had edema since I was 18, my mother also suffered with this. I eat a very 'natural' diet, if I eat grains, particularly rice, my hands, feet and face swell within 20 minutes. The next morning my ankles are tight and I usually have put on 3 lb. or so. I keep off any processed foods including hams and deli goods, too much salt and preservative. I have no heart problems, and take Aldactone daily for over 30 years, if I don't the swelling moves up my legs and is painful.

Comment from: Sharon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I got a small painless lump on my left cheek at my jaw joint. I asked my dentist who x-rayed it and he said It's a cyst and not to worry about it. Two months later I went to my primary care physician (PCP) who said it was probably a leak on my jaw joint and not to worry about it. I asked who would look at it if I wanted to have it biopsied. He told me to go to an ENT. I got an appointment about 2 months later thinking nothing major and she said it looked like either benign or cancerous parotid gland neoplasm. She was very surprised when the biopsy came back as follicular non-Hodgkin lymphoma. I eventually had chemotherapy and now am in remission. I later got a biopsy of a basal cell carcinoma and asked for the biopsy report from a previous lesion two years ago on my wrist. It was prurigo nodularis that can be an indicator of an internal malignancy. Who knew! My oncologist said if I had been diagnosed at the dental or PCP visit then it's likely we could have had a cure with radiation, but the lymph nodes were enlarged also near my lower neck ruling out radiation treatment.

Edema - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for edema?
Edema - Signs and Symptoms Question: In addition to swelling, what were your signs and symptoms associated with edema?
Edema - Salt Intake Question: If you've had edema, in what ways do you adjust your salt intake?
Edema - Diuretics Question: Do you take diuretics to control edema? Please discuss your experience.
Edema - Edema Experience Question: Please describe your experience with edema.