Patient Comments: Edema - Causes

What caused your case of edema? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: SJG123, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I have Graves' disease and one of my symptoms is pitting edema in my feet and ankles, weight gain of about 30 lb. and breathlessness.

Comment from: Bill, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 20

My edema started about three years ago after I had a knee replacement. I was told that this was normal and could last for as long as 12 months. As I said I have had it for about three years and it's not getting better. I have been prescribed furosemide and a support stocking. For quite a while the medication did make me go to the toilet quite a lot and I passed a lot of water. Sadly, the swelling has never gone down and the furosemide doesn't seem to have any effect now. The stocking did help for a while but at 80 years old I'm finding it difficult to put the stocking on and off even with the aid of a frame gizmo.

Comment from: BJM, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I am having chemotherapy for breast cancer, and have edema in my wrists and hands. The oncologist says it's an effect from the chemotherapy.

Comment from: deadwood52, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I believe my edema is caused by taking Lyrica for my neuropathy. I am taking 150 mg dose twice daily and believe it is too high a dose. I started out with 75 mg 3 times daily. From my knees to my ankles the swelling and pain will get worse if I sit or stand too long. I have not seen my neurologist about this yet, but it seems to have started when I went to the higher dose.

Comment from: Joe, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I had ventral hernia repair almost 5 weeks ago. I don't know what caused it, I am not overweight and in pretty good shape. I was on pain medicines oxycodone for 3 days then ibuprofen for about 5 days. Gradually after about a week the pain began to subside. End of second week I went for exercise walks. I still experience slight pain in the surgery area around navel and mesh area. Mesh area near belt line is a little puffy and swollen. Doctor gave me limitations of 20 lb lifting after the 2 weeks. I have been off of work the whole time. I will be going back to the doctor today for a nod to go back to work after 5 weeks. A little worried about work requirements like lifting, pushing, pulling, etc. We'll see today.

Comment from: John in SF Bay Area, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

I am a 62-year-old male with Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease (CMT). CMT is a genetic form of peripheral neuropathy that is degenerative and incurable. In the past I have had bouts of edema that were promptly dispatched with compression stockings, elevation of my legs and Lasix (10 mg once a day). Recently I experienced severe edema in my feet and lower legs up to my knees. My primary doctor prescribed a higher dose of Lasix (40 mg once day) and that began to reduce the swelling. An ultrasound test ruled out blood clots and EKG/echocardiogram/blood tests ruled out cardiac problems as a cause of the edema. Now my primary physician believes that it is possible I may have a condition called lymphedema. I found this site after searching for a physician familiar with causes and treatments of lymphedema. I wonder if anybody else has experienced lymphedema and if my CMT might be causing the edema or if there are other potential causes.

Comment from: Sharon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I got a small painless lump on my left cheek at my jaw joint. I asked my dentist who x-rayed it and he said It's a cyst and not to worry about it. Two months later I went to my primary care physician (PCP) who said it was probably a leak on my jaw joint and not to worry about it. I asked who would look at it if I wanted to have it biopsied. He told me to go to an ENT. I got an appointment about 2 months later thinking nothing major and she said it looked like either benign or cancerous parotid gland neoplasm. She was very surprised when the biopsy came back as follicular non-Hodgkin lymphoma. I eventually had chemotherapy and now am in remission. I later got a biopsy of a basal cell carcinoma and asked for the biopsy report from a previous lesion two years ago on my wrist. It was prurigo nodularis that can be an indicator of an internal malignancy. Who knew! My oncologist said if I had been diagnosed at the dental or PCP visit then it's likely we could have had a cure with radiation, but the lymph nodes were enlarged also near my lower neck ruling out radiation treatment.

Comment from: Terri, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I am or was a very healthy bike rider but had an accident and had a foot surgery in February and a shoulder surgery in March. At the time of the shoulder surgery I got the flu and was very sick for two weeks. Following that I began having severe swelling of hands, fingers, feet and lower legs, and also bilateral sides of my forehead, which fluid drains into periorbital edema. I've tried Lyrica for burning of hands but stopped. I've had three medicine packs which helped with fatigue. Rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, sedimentation rate, CRP, Sjogren's, scleroderma are all negative.

Comment from: Maggie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have had edema since I was 18, my mother also suffered with this. I eat a very 'natural' diet, if I eat grains, particularly rice, my hands, feet and face swell within 20 minutes. The next morning my ankles are tight and I usually have put on 3 lb. or so. I keep off any processed foods including hams and deli goods, too much salt and preservative. I have no heart problems, and take Aldactone daily for over 30 years, if I don't the swelling moves up my legs and is painful.

Comment from: cody4175, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

I wish I knew what was causing my edema. I have flank and slight chest pain I have pitting edema on both lower legs. If I work out my chest pain doesn't get any worse, and I don't get winded. I have been going through this for 1 1/2 years. I have had chest x-rays, abdominal CT ultrasound, HIDA scan, colonoscopy, and endoscopy. All are negative. Besides a slight anemia all blood tests normal including all kidney, liver and thyroid tests. Very frustrating.

Comment from: Tamir, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 21

I had seen a urologist about waking at night, due to prostate problems, to urinate. He prescribed Minirin, which I took for 3 days. Then I happened to look down at my legs and they were enormous - true elephant legs. I stopped the Minirin immediately and the major swelling receded. But my lower legs and feet remain swollen for the first time in my life, and it seems that it will not go away.

Comment from: Florence, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I was taken to hospital and treated for hypertension. My medication was changed and amlodipine was given in place of ramipril. After two weeks in hospital I was sent home but had to go back to the emergency room for one day, suffering with severe pain and swelling in my feet and lower legs. I asked if I could go back to ramipril as I thought amlodipine was making my legs to swell. I also take other medications for atrial fibrillation and continue to do so as I have been taking these for several years.

Comment from: Rhettjd, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

My edema is caused by grains. Allergic reaction to grains causes my legs to swell and hold water. If I don't eat grains then it goes away, because I don't have hypertension, diabetes, or any of the other symptoms that are mentioned.

Comment from: friend of God, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 07

My friend had neuropathy in her feet and then started getting edema in her feet and ankles. The doctor did nothing. Recently, about 3 weeks ago, the edema travelled up into her torso and her belly was much extended and she couldn't bend her legs to do physical therapy anymore. Finally the doctor did a scan and called her to go to the emergency room immediately. Once there, she was put on diuretics and had 5 liters of water removed from her abdomen, a mere drop in the bucket. Within the week they have told her she won't recover and needs to go to hospice. She's only 53 and a couple of years ago she would be able to golf 27 holes a day. I don't understand why her doctors couldn't see she had a weak heart, or else the edema caused her to have a weak heart, don't know which, but it's heartbreaking.

Comment from: Floridajoy, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I broke out with guttate psoriasis after my shingle shot just like another person mentioned here. I was healthy and always had good skin which I took for granted! I am now covered in guttate psoriasis about 90 percent of my body. I have been under a doctor's care for a year with no relief. Actually it has gotten worse, despite Ortez, Humira, Stelara and the creams galore!

Comment from: [email protected], 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 26

My 22 year old autistic grandson eloped from home out into the cold, deep snow, in the elements for approximately 1hour 30 minutes. He was taken to hospital and treated with antibiotics and burn cream; he has painful, weeping blisters and. Twenty four to 36 hours later he is developing edema.

Comment from: Billy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 23

Two months ago I was working on my knees. I must have knelt on something. It was painful for two days. Then the upper and lower knee started to swell. I didn't worry until the front of my calf became like putty. I went to the ER, and was diagnosed with pitting edema. They stuck in a needle to drain the swelling, which made it worse. After having an MRI, the doctors said my bursa has to be removed. Also, I have high cholesterol, and I have pain in my ankles and back.

Comment from: Georgia, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I am a 16 year old female and I developed pitting edema after being submitted to a hospital last year with a blunt abdominal injury after falling on an obstacle/low ropes course. I had an arterial liver bleed (subcapsular hematoma) with liver lacerations and I had to wear those pressure stockings for my edema.

Comment from: Patsy32, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I have varicose veins, have had surgery twice on left leg and 3 times on right leg. Edema is worse on left leg. No doctor has said I have any heart problems. Lasix helps temporarily, but causes leg cramps. Potassium and magnesium at bed time helps. Elastic in socks causes indentation for 10 minutes or so. My varicose veins are very bad. Leg veins were so weak that laser surgery could not be done. After 4 years I still have brown discoloration under skin. Skin is very thin all over. I am 79 years old next month.

Comment from: usahmbert, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I have been suffering from edema on my legs and stomach and arms and face now for 3 months and the doctor I go to doesn't seem to care. I was wondering if I went and got an IV of saline if it would flush my body's edema. My stomach looks pregnant and I am having asthma problems. My neighbor asked if I could take Lasiks and I think I am going to try. It is so bad I can't walk and it hurts my tight skin and feet. I did break my ankles and a leg and part of my foot but the edema is in the legs and everywhere else. I'm desperate. My belly is so swollen that I can't bend over. I look 9 months pregnant and can't even bend over. It is affecting my breathing and I am out of shape due to many surgeries and lying in a chair. I do get up and do daily chores but find that I have to sit with my feet propped by the middle of the day. It won't go away with the 2 natural diuretics I am on. Please help!

Comment from: len, 25-34 Female Published: March 01

I was diagnosed with adult onset of normal pressure hydrocephalus (NPH). It took almost two years of testing and appointments to suggest that I might have NPH. I went to for the three day lumbar puncture. The doctor asked me to get up and walk. It was like having wings on my feet. I flew through the hallways with ease and speed. I was taken to the area where I was physically tested for my impairments caused by NPH. I was put through a battery of test for movement, speed and agility. I improved dramatically. I had the shunt placement and the doctor said to me, that I will never feel like that again.

Comment from: Glenda, 55-64 Female Published: July 05

I had a reading of 87 for my latest HbA1c test.

Comment from: Anneshi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I am 34 years old female and have been having edema of my left foot since I was 16 years old. A lot of investigations have been done, nothing positive. I was once put on Lasix then Aldactone but with no improvement. The edema is worse when I sit and at the end of the day but it tends to resolve when I sleep. It has caused a lot of cosmetic changes due to the obviously bigger limb and this gives me a low self-esteem. My blood pressure tends to be on the lower normal with a diastolic ranging of 50-70mm/hg and systolic 90-110mm/hg and hemoglobin on the higher side 12-14gm/dl. There is no evidence of DVT (deep vein thrombosis).

Comment from: light the candle, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 22

I just started noticing that I have pitting edema on my shins, ankles, and my feet are swelling now. When I go upstair,s my hips and legs feel like they are on fire and my heart pounds so hard.

Comment from: Kakr, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have severe anorexia and now have experienced anasarca. I currently have about 15 liters of edema. All blood tests are ok (albumins, electrolytes etc). Heart, thyroid, kidneys, OK. Diuretics make me urinate, but don't reduce the edema much.

Comment from: daintygirl, 25-34 Female Published: January 06

I am a 33 year old woman primarily in good health. I had pitting edema in my left arm and foot for the past two years. It has been a nightmare. I have had a hard time wearing pants because my left leg is so swollen that I can't get my leg in the pants. I feel like a monster because people stare at me strange. It is weird to see a woman who has a normal small leg and a large swollen leg on the same body. My swollen leg has been painful to stand on and to bend my leg. People think I have lymphedema, but I never had cancer. I got a little burn on my left leg that months later caused it to be pitting edema. Doctors I had talked about to don't much about it. After reading on this site, I am thinking maybe my pitting edema is caused by heart or kidney disease. It has been very frustrating over the past two years. Hopefully I will be able to find some help for my painful, swollen leg soon.

Comment from: jscenic, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I had a spider bite Aug 2010 on my right calf that caused staph infection instantly. 6 months later experiencing pain, pressure, numbness in entire calf of leg. Very hard to find a doctor to help! Doctors I have seen for this, Specialist: Pain management, Physical Therapy, Infectious Disease, Neurologist, Dermatologist, and Orthopedic. Orthopedic requested MRI and found skin thickening and edema to area. I am now seeing Orthopedic for this problem. I was surprised how many specialists have not run into this medical problem before. I am sure with the amount of spiders/people I am not the 1st.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I have had intermittent edema observed in the feet and ankles following a prostate removal.

Comment from: alice, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

My husband has edema on both legs with weeping ulcers. He had edema therapy for three months and his swelling and ulcers went away. Hand stimulation to the lymph nodes going up the leg on pinpoint lump lobes. It worked with no medication taken. Of course he has to wear support hose for edema. At first I thought it wouldn't work, but it did. This therapist has been doing this therapy for 11 years.

Published: March 01

The cause is yet unknown, recent blood work ruled out heart related issues. My concern is that it is related to kidney's, as I have had left side flank pain and the peripheral edema on three different occasions over the last year. A course of lasix relieved the edema and SOB last year. Waiting for answers, now blistering and leaking sero/sang fluid.

Comment from: 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 25

My edema started when I cracked a bone in my left ankle (driving a golf cart with my left foot hanging out, hit a root along the cart trail); now, 5 months later, my left foot, ankle and calf are swollen up to my knee; my right foot and ankle are also swollen but not nearly as much as the left. I used to get a little swelling of my ankles from time to time, but walking seemed to get rid of it. My doctor has me trying different BP meds to see if one may work better than the lisinopril I have been taking for years. We shall see.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I also have excessive pitting edema feet to knees. They claim it's my thyroid doing this but I know better since my thyroid was fine when it first started. Lowering my salt intake helps. Then I can fit into shoes.

Comment from: Thomas, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 04

I have had pitting edema in both my legs from the feet almost up to the knees. Also have swelling in the arms and facial area. I have had every test done imaginable and nothing shows up. They say everything is fine but I know for a fact there is something wrong. You don't retain fluid for no apparent reason. I have suggested having a biopsy done to my doctor and all they say it's a waste of time and resources. I have been on Lasix and Slow K for over 5 years and nothing seems to help. I go to bed at night and can weigh approximately 240 and wake up and I'll be 9 or 10 pounds heavier. Nothing seems to help diets with no salt don't help either. So I am at my wits end making 20 trips to the toilet every day.

Comment from: ved, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 15

I am male age 40 years. I have had problems with micturition in urine for the last 12 years now, but after going through a lot of investigation/diagnosis they could not diagnose any particular disease. My problem continued with burning in urine, frequent urination, fatigue, insomnia, loss of appetite, headache, nausea, etc. The doctor used so many antibiotics to treat it, but the problem stayed the same. Now, the last six months, I am feeling pitting edema in my feet, hands, and around my eyes.

Comment from: ChrisB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I had an immune reaction to injections of SynVisq into my knee joints. I had fever and severe pain in the joints as well as a flare up of a rare disease I have (Stiff Person's Syndrome), which causes severe, chronic muscle cramping of the lower extremities, including the lower back.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter