Patient Comments: Edema - Diuretics

Do you take diuretics to control edema? Please discuss your experience. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: anna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I take furosemide for idiopathic edema. I don"t add salt to my food but that doesn"t seem to help. In the morning I have periorbital edema and swelling in my hands. If I don"t take a diuretic, I"ll end up with some fluid in my abdominal area and, by the end of the day, my lower legs are affected.

Comment from: puffy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I was taking a daily diuretic for several months (it helped but not fully), until I was hospitalized with pancreatitis. The doctors said diuretics may have been the cause. Now I take a different diuretic 3 times a week and the edema is much worse.

Comment from: Martene, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I take a diuretic pill every day for my edema and I can't go anywhere. I'm basically homebound. I has really changed my life, but I can't go without it. I suffer from shortness of breath, congestive heart failure, an enlarged heart, COPD, anxiety, and depression. But I do the best I can every day to cope with all of this instead of these issues have me – I have them. I enjoy my family and my grandchildren keep me going. I say – enjoy your life to the fullest.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter