Patient Comments: Eczema - Experience

Please describe your experience with eczema. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: MySkinIsn'tAproblem, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I noticed when I was going to middle school that people always were staring at my face and laughing. I didn't think of it much until a month later when I got diagnosed with eczema. My skin was super sensitive especially around my eyes. I would have a big problem with having even the slightest amount of soap near my eyes. This would mean that I would have to go 8 hours without washing my skin, which usually led to me breaking out with acne. I finally found an eye makeup remover for eczema that really worked for me around the eyes. This eye makeup remover from Albolene had a really non-messy applicator that made it easy to quickly rub it on in the bathroom during class periods. I put it on real quick and never heard another thing from people at school. I can't tell you how much this saved me from being an outcast during high school. Please look for other types of products like this makeup cleanser that could worked for your skin as well. Good luck to all.

Comment from: Leora, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 20

My 5 year old suffers from sever eczema and we had run the gamut for trying new products when I came across Foderma serum. This stuff worked wonders this winter when he was having an extremely rough time with his chapped and cracked skin. Love this product!

Comment from: Eczema, Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I started having skin problems about 5 years ago, eczema/dermatitis. During the flare-ups the feeling is just horrible! Throughout all those years I've used a lot of different steroidal and hormonal creams, some of them do help to control the periods of flare-ups, but the side effects are just terrifying for the long term use. Recently I found cream Eczur, works practically as effective as prescription creams, but the good part it doesn't have any steroidal and hormonal elements in it! I also using it on my children as for pampers rash, and mosquito bites! Hope it will help!

Comment from: AT, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I cured eczema by avoiding nightshades. I finally found a cure by realizing that eczema is a reaction to certain foods or chemicals. I've had eczema for as long as I could remember and it wasn't until recently that I figured out nightshades (peppers, eggplant, and tomatoes) were the source of my skin irritations. Since then, I've been eczema-free. Start by eliminating certain foods after a rash occurs so that you can figure out what to avoid. I wish a doctor had told me that simple truth a long time ago, but then again, most are in the business of making money, not giving permanent cures. A lot, if not all things can be healed naturally. To cure it, it's not about putting ointments or shea butter on it, those only mask the symptoms- with eczema; it is simply about eliminating substances you react to.

Published: July 22

My eczema began a year ago. It started with a rash around both eyes that were unbearably itchy and developed into what I guess would be one of the extreme forms of this condition. Every morning I would wake up with my eyes crusted shut, and sores that built up around my cheeks that would ooze all day. I consulted a dermatologist and my two primary care doctors, but all of the lotions, ointments and pills that they prescribed me didn't help. It came to a point where I actually became clinically depressed for a while and refused to step out of the house with my face looking as it did. At this point, patches also developed around my elbows. Things only started to turn for me when I combined the advice of my family. I started to use Cocoa Butter lotion generously. I also visited a Chinese herbal doctor at the urging of my grandmother. It was something that I was skeptical about but at that point I was desperate enough to try anything. The herbal tea that they brewed for me was absolutely vile, but it really did help to clear my skin. About a month after I kept this routine up, my cheeks were no longer oozing and the area around my eyes was clear. Today, my cheeks are still flare up with little red bumps and I have quite a bit of dryness and flaking. I'm currently using Locoid Lipocream to control the last traces of redness and irritation. I also make sure I moisturize well everyday and it's working really well in smoothing out my skin.

Comment from: Radha, Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I have eczema in my leg area which is always itching in those parts, but in the night the itching never stops. And the same itching area is in black shape.

Comment from: Kyle Grisdale, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: August 04

I have suffered with Eczema all my life and I'm hoping one day maybe I could grow out of it. I've been prescribed with over 20 different types of creams and ointments but the condition would only be controlled for a time then return to be inflamed and itchy again, so I decided to see my GP once again and I was prescribed with 'Hydromal Emollient', 'Dermol 600 Bath Emollient' and also 'hydrocortisone'. I created a routine for myself by taking an antihistamine in the morning, then using the Dermol Emollient in the bath. I used Hydrocortisone until my inflamed skin was soothed then I kept it covered with Hydromal emollient to keep the skin moist and soft. This routine worked. Just remember stick to the routine and the condition will be kept at bay. I hope my experience has helped others who suffer from Eczema.

Published: July 09

My eczema started in my late teens and would probably be described as mild to moderate in severity. I get it on my face, upper arms, neck and chest and it seems to flare up along with my hormones. I've always used Cortizone until a few months ago when I started using "Dermarest" for rosacea on my face and I noticed that it seems to have cleared up my facial eczema. Also, a friend at work suggested that I try “Steven's Creme" asks your pharmacist if you can't find it on the shelf. It has really improved the skin on my arms. No more dry red patches on my skin, I haven't had this much success in 15 years of trying to treat my skin. Maybe someone can benefit from my trial and error.

Published: July 01

My eczema started on my right hand on my index finger. Being winter, I just thought I hadn't been putting on enough lotion. But it became increasingly worse. I visited the doctor, and I used different creams that my aunt and a friend of my mom's suggested, seeing as they had it too. Then after moving out of state, I didn't have it anymore. But then when summer came, it was back full force. It disappeared in the winter and has returned this summer. It's only on my hands and around my mouth. I have allergy pills that my doctor prescribed. They don't make it go away, but if taken every day, it keeps it from itching. Otherwise the itching is unbearable and it begins to hurt and is sore. Other things that have worked for me, is a lotion I'm currently using that has oatmeal and a body wash with sea algae. I've also used a prescribed cream for around my mouth by my doctor. I have tried at least 30 different creams in the past four years that I've had it. I have been asking the doctor to up my allergy pills in hopes it would make the eczema clear up, mainly because of the nasty patch of it around my mouth. It makes me look diseased.

Comment from: itchygranny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

The itching wakes me up at night. The itching never stops. Sometimes it itches in four places at once and in places where it is very impolite to scratch. I have permanent eczema patches in my scalp, thumb creases, and left ear. I have been to four doctors, and they prescribe cortisone creams which work if applied consistently. Having this grease in my hair is disgustingly unfashionable. Worse yet, the itching and swelling increase exponentially when the temp is above 80 degrees F. One doctor told me to go live in a colder climate. I am a prisoner to air conditioning. I am retired, so I am able to go northward to spend summers. This whole thing runs my life.

Comment from: carmine, Male (Patient) Published: November 22

I have suffered from hand eczema for three years and have tried many topical steroids, creams, and ointments; nothing stopped the plaques and cracks. My wife happened to talk to someone with the same problem who swore that Claritin cleared hers up. We had some generic Claritin at home, and after 10 days of daily use, my hands are free of flakes plaques and cracks. I plan on staying on this for about another month then seeing what happens. Hers never came back, so I'm hopeful. But at least I found something that works, is cheap, over the counter, and has no noticeable side effects, plus my morning sniffles are gone, too.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I am 60 years old and have lupus for last 18 years about week ago I noticed a rasheson the lower back and it start spreading to left side of the butt and I am using cortisone cream and taking steroid of 5mg. Do you think it will help to cure eczema rashes, since I have experiences same symptom on the on the hand before.

Comment from: Aly, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

At first it was only my ring finger in my left hand that was affected. After some time, all my fingers then my palm started to itch. I tried my best to resist scratching it but gave up eventually. After the satisfaction of scratching, i then felt like the areas i scratched were burning. I really hate this eczema. Now, my palms are raw red and i cannot bend some of my fingers because the skin now is thick. I use hydrocortisone and foskina -b. i use foskina -b after having flare ups, and the other when it already subsided.

Comment from: Dizzydee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I have had eczema since I was a kid. It was so itchy and was always worse when summer time came. I went on the DR. Atkins diet 12 years ago and my eczema went away. I started to get it again this summer so I stopped eating breads, pastas and sugar. I am now free of it. (for now) I just need to keep my bread and pasta intake down.

Comment from: lilalycat, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

Since I was a child, I have had eczema all down my legs. The only thing I find that helps is liberal use of lotions; nothing prescribed is working. I have dry skin, a terrible itch, and sores opening every other day. I have resorted to tying a scarf to my leg to stop me from scratching in my sleep.

Comment from: BrElias, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

My eczema all started with gall bladder surgery over 10 years ago and I have been dealing with it since. Seems nothing helps not even medications, ointments, Aveeno, nothing. A point by my arms looks like I have chicken pox and instantly itching sometimes will having burning symptoms on other parts of body where the eczema is located.

Comment from: lizzys, 45-54 Female Published: September 02

I have suffered from eczema on and off for several years, and I found out recently that when I cut out all extra sugar in my diet, the eczema disappears. I read that eczema is a form of an internal yeast infection and that excess sugar contributes to the infection. Try it: It worked for me.

Comment from: Jake, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I was born with eczema on most of my body and face. After a fairly traumatic childhood with a face and upper lip full of oozing lesions that were ultimately successfully treated with multiple steroid injections, I have enjoyed an adulthood with my eczema largely in remission, except for when in a deeply stressful situation. I am now 46 and suddenly dealing with its recurrence but in unlikely places: my navel and the inside of one ear.

Comment from: YN3 Moss, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 02

Well, this is the first time I have ever had eczema. It started at the end of May this year while I have been deployed. It is funny actually where it began on my body: my butt. Crazy but true. I didn't know what it was at the time. I thought it was just some itch I had and would go away. A week passed and I still had it. It spread to my thighs, then my stomach, then my arms and back and neck, even my crotch. I checked with our medical corpsman on our ship and they didn't know what it was at first but a second time going, they figured it out. They gave me all sorts of medicine for it, but they never really worked. Much later on, it started getting better but then I stopped taking the medicine, thinking it would get better. That pretty much started the cycle all over again. Today, I still have it and of course it has only been three months since it began. My butt is clear of the itching but I think I still might have the little red bumps there. It still itches on my arms, chest, legs and my sides and neck a little. I did however found out what the most likely cause to it is: climate change. I do believe that is why I got it, but I am continuing to take care of myself and get rid of this thing for now.

Comment from: Jen , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I have had eczema for about 10 years. I have tried cortisone creams, which help relieve the itching, but only go so far. Recently, I discovered that plain old aloe vera helps to bring my break outs down. I apply it frequently and keep a bottle of it at home and at work, but it really makes a difference. Now I only have to apply the cortisone cream about once a week, or if I get a super bad break out from the weather changes. In general, this helps limit against that and keeps my skin looking wonderfully healthy!

Comment from: Aysima, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

My eczema started two months ago when I moved into my flat. I was so stressed out that my body was shaking, and I had a nosebleed. A few days later, I had rashes on my chest and face, then my neck and the inside of my elbows. I avoided going out of the house, and got upset. My skin got red, ugly, dry and itchy. I found out its genetic, if someone in the family has asthma or allergies, you are more likely to have them too, plus the eczema. It's probably caused by stress, diet or allergies. Get an allergy test done, so you know if you need to change your diet or not. I am still waiting for my allergy test. I would also advice a traditional healer, cupping. It's healthy; a bit weird, but it does make you feel better, and it is good for your body.

Comment from: Sharon, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 07

From our experience with our now 15-year-old son, it was difficult to diagnose. He saw several doctors over several years and was finally diagnosed with eczema a few weeks ago. He has several areas involved including his scalp, arms, back, and legs. The legs tend to break out due to temperature change and stress. His arms and back are much better since we started using a strong moisturizer. His scalp has flare-ups. That's what I call them. As long as we use the Loprox shampoo at least once a week and follow with a moisturizer, and then use the Olux (topical steroid) at least once a week, it seems to be under control. Talk about “high maintenance!”

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I have suffered from extreme eczema for years. I did not have a clear patch of skin on my hands and my nails were nothing but ridges and bumps. I started taking Periostat for another condition and it almost completely healed my eczema and my nails are back to normal. Only my dentist can prescribe Periostat. I called the drug company to report my findings and they said, yes, we know. Why isn't it out there in the medical community for all to know. I really suffered for over 20 yrs and one simple pill - Periostat - has almost completely cured me.

Published: July 15

I grew up with these (seasonal) nasty breakouts of tiny, fine bumps when scratched, would turn into blistering sores and then into patches of dry, flaky, itchy skin. I visited dermatologists who told me it was everything from eczema to tinea versicolor and prescribed everything from clobetasol to plain Cortizone. I happened upon a fellow co worker who noticed a fresh outbreak on the inside of my elbow and suggested I try Selsun Blue. To my amazement and relief, the outbreak was cleared up in a matter of 4 days no reoccurrence in weeks. I'm not sure if what I have is eczema or not, but Selenium sulfide 1% (the active ingredient of Selsun Blue) did the trick. If you've tried 'everything else' to no avail, give this a try...what do you have to lose? My treatment was: apply the shampoo sparingly to the affected area and leave on overnight wash it off in the morning. If you are more sensitive, leave on 30 minutes to 2 hours and rinse off. Good luck!

Published: July 09

I was bitten by a mosquito when i was young and I guess they got infected and when I had pneumonia, at age 9, had full blown eczema all over my body and kept getting infections and scales, and now at age 35 have scars to prove it and well still have dryness spots and my face is always dry. I gave up going to doctors because they said they can't do anything to it and I have tried every medicine possible. Trying to cure it or with meds is hard, so I gave up.

Published: June 30

I have had eczema all my life, can cope with it even though I am typing this wearing cotton gloves as I used an emollient on my hands. A book to read is, “The Eczema Solution.” I wear a titanium watch.

Published: June 24

After moving to a tropical climate I was stuck with eczema covering 80% of my body. It turned into super eczema and is now semi under control after consistent trips to the doctor. The redness calms down with steroid pills which I take for 2 - 3 days when it flares, I use steroid cream every day on the red areas and twice daily when it flares. Also, I think I single handedly keep QV (like Cetaphil) in business with their great non everything creams. Keri Oil on dry flaky skin, Evening Primrose Oil supplements to try and repair from the inside out, occasional salt water baths, and lots of water seems to do the trick. I know it seems like a lot of work but the daily regiment is much better than the alternative.

Published: June 18

I had a severe case of eczema that began with a scaly rash around my eyes. A friend told me to try Selsun Blue on it. The Selsun Blue did the trick. About a year or so later, a rash crept up on my chest. It began under my breasts similar to a heat rash, but after a couple of weeks, it made its way up onto my chest. It hardened and became grey and green and scaly, like shiny fish scales. The Selsun Blue followed with a rinse of hydrogen peroxide cured it.

Published: June 17

I developed mild eczema in my mid twenties. I am also a redhead and have extremely fair skin. After visiting a dermatologist, they provided me with a prescription topical cream and suggested that I use a product called Cetaphil as a replacement for my collection of Bath and Body Works lotions and soaps. The fragrance in these products was irritating to my skin and actually contributed to my flare-ups. While I thought I was moisturizing my skin, I was actually doing more damage. Upon switching to the Cetaphil line (which can be purchased in most stores) and switching to a "free and clear" detergent, I have not had any significant eczema issues. Infrequently, a small patch will appear, but will fade with additional moisturizing.

Published: June 13

I am a 29yr old who has developed eczema on my palms & side of one foot. I have seen a dermatologist, been allergy tested - to no avail, tried cortisone & another cream clobetasol with out much success, it only really helped for a short period of time, then I think my skin became used to it. I tried a thing called Grenz rays (it's a radiotherapy treatment) which I had a lot of success with but due to my job where I used my hands a lot it has since come back. I am trying a skin rejuvenation treatment next week recommended by a biochemist so I will see if that has any success and report back with findings. I think the most difficult thing for me is trying to work out what is actually causing it.

Published: June 10

I just found out yesterday that I have eczema on my hands. I thought it was a rash or seed warts because of its appearance. It looks a little like heat blisters but they have black "seeds" in them. They itch like crazy! My dermatologist told me to put Protopic cream on it. I will let you know if the cream works.

Published: June 05

I have had eczema for around 10 years now, just on my lower legs. I am now 55. I have seen a dermatologist around six times for this, the latest being a month ago when I was told to use zinc impregnated bandages, with a tubi grip bandage on the top - an awkward scenario to go to work with, just have to wear trousers all the time and its very difficult in the morning when taking a shower, as it all has to come off and then be put back on again. However, zinc does seem to work pretty well and am looking forward to wearing shorts on my holiday next week. She also prescribed zinc cream. I hope this helps others, as it's a very annoying condition and can also lead to cellulitis, which I have had twice.

Published: June 05

My eczema affects mainly my lower legs. It is actually worse in the summer. I am embarrassed to even wear shorts, much less a bathing suit. The itching is worse at night, so I try to cover my legs so I don't scratch in my sleep.

Published: May 29

I first noticed eczema when I was working as a nail tech. After working in the field for a year, I woke up one morning to an annoying itch that drove me crazy and huge rashes all over my face. It continued like that for about six months until I got so fed up and decided to go to the dermatologist. She first said that it was a fungus, so knowing that I thought I had a fungus I was horrified. She prescribed a topic treatment to cure the fungus, but it made matters worse for me. After another month, I finally went back and she took a skin graph. She concluded that it was eczema. I was so upset for going so long with it on my face. People would look at me as though I was some creature from another planet. I still to this day do not know what's causing my eczema. It sure does have a mind of its own. I don't think I will ever be able to find out the solution to control it.