Patient Comments: Eczema - Symptoms and Signs

What were your eczema symptoms and signs? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Natalie Lacroix, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

For me, the worst symptoms of eczema are the itchiness and dry and flaky skin. It is really annoying. For me it has been really difficult to control my eczema.

Comment from: Peter Johnston, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 28

The symptoms that helped me to detect eczema were my flaky skin and the itchiness.

Comment from: lol64., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I get severe itching and scabs on my scalp. I use Betnovate scalp lotion when I have an attack.

Comment from: inkedmmma, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I have been suffering from eczema since I was 22. Over the last few years it has progressively gotten worse. My kids say I'm turning into a lizard because of the bumpiness of my skin, especially on my hands. Everything I've found that usually works is no longer working, so I've taken some advice and started tanning. I've read many reviews from others saying it really works, but am concerned that it will make the eczema stand out and be itchy before it gets better. I've only been tanning for two days now for short periods of time. I am very concerned and wonder if this is normal or abnormal.

Comment from: saurabh bajaj, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

My eczema started on my right leg and on my index finger. Being winter, I just thought I hadn't been using enough lotion. But it became increasingly worse. I visited the doctor, and I used different creams that my aunt and a friend of my mom's suggested. After moving out of state, I didn't have it anymore. When summer came, it was back in full force. It disappeared in the winter and has returned this summer. It's only on my hands and around my mouth. I have allergy pills that my doctor prescribed. They don't make it go away, but if taken every day, it stops the itching. Otherwise, the itching is unbearable and it begins to hurt and is sore. Other things that have worked for me include a lotion that has oatmeal and a body wash with sea algae. I've also used a prescribed cream for around my mouth. I have tried at least 30 different creams in the past four years. I have been asking the doctor to increase the dosage of my allergy pills in hopes that it would make the eczema clear up, mainly because of the nasty patch around my mouth. It makes me look diseased.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter