Patient Comments: Eczema - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your eczema? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Mindful, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 22

I have been suffering from scabies on the lower parts of my legs. I get infected mostly when I fly in airplanes. My legs are itchy, I scratch and it causes blisters. I tried several kinds of medications, mostly creams. I found two remedies that worked for eczema and scabies. One is to soak my legs in ocean salty water. The other is to merely apply Johnson and Johnson medicated talcum powder. I was amazed how effective and immediate this remedy has been. The powder seems to get in the skin and it seems to kill the mites that cause the irritation. I also assume this remedy is safe.

Comment from: Eczema lifer, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I have had eczema since I was a child. I'm 34 now and have learned what causes my flare ups and the best way to treat it. Sometimes my allergies cause my flare ups, but mostly it is caused by stress. The worst case I've ever had was when my parents were divorcing when I was young. Now when I'm overly stressed, it shows up. Ointments are not very effective on me, but the sun and tanning definitely helps. It's not a miracle worker and doesn't zap it the first day of tanning, but it eventually dries it out. The plus is that the scars start to blend in with my tanned skin so it's easier to hide.

Comment from: Maria W., 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 08

My son gets eczema and it mostly flares up in the winter time. What worked for him was Foderma.

Comment from: Michelle S. Mc. , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

Two years ago I was diagnosed with eczema. I tried many treatments and some of them just worsened my eczema. For me, it was really hard to find a treatment that actually worked for me, and the best one that I've tried by far is Foderma treatment. And also, I apply aloe vera once a week, this works perfect for me as well.

Comment from: Michelle Skinner, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

Two years ago I was diagnosed with eczema. My eczema is especially severe on my face, and around my cheeks. I've tried many treatments, and the one that has worked the best for me is Foderma treatment.

Comment from: Sasha , 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 08

I have heard that DermalMD has a serum for treating eczema. I wonder if it has worked for anyone.

Comment from: Grandma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

Here is some home remedy for eczema that does not include any harmful substances. My youngest grandson is almost 8 weeks old and unfortunately also inherited the eczema from both me and his grandfather. At this age there is not much one can do because the skin is still so soft and tender. His became so bad it looked as if his skin was literally burned with hot water and this throughout his small little body. He was constantly crying because it is itching and burning at the same time. I advised my daughter-in-law to put some rooibos tea in his bath water with some aqua cream, only that, and it is three days later and already we can see a huge difference. Although the skin is still scratchy/hardened, the redness is now starting to subside and he sleeps better between feedings as well.

Comment from: Ana B, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I have had eczema all my life; nearly 30 years of battling with steroid creams, immune suppressant drugs, oral steroids. And after using wheatgrass spray for one month three times a day prior to applying coconut oil, and also initially having to supplement this with a low steroid cream, the eczema on my body has subsided, and the results are amazing. No more blotchy red skin, no dry patches. Friends and family have really noticed the results, and I can finally wear clothes which don't have to cover my entire body in summer.

Comment from: marty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I had an outbreak of eczema and all topical creams only made it spread and get worse. It spread over my arms and legs. I was put on Protozone for 10 days. This caused me to swell up so much my skin would begin to drain fluid and the eczema returned with a vengeance; it not only spread to my stomach but my back. My doctor gave me another treatment. When I went to pick it up at the pharmacy the pharmacist took one look at me and said she would not give me the treatment as I was in such bad condition I needed to 'sleep' on my dermatologist's door step to make sure I was seen. When I arrived, my dermatologist wanted to up the dose of Protozone. I was not going to go on it again. I found a naturalist and he put me on two cleanses as he realized no matter what was given to me my body was attacking itself and any treatment was considered bad to my body. The treatment he put me on was Mind Body Spirit Care's Detox Ultimate Inflame-Reduct shake and Body Anew cleanse multipack oral drops. I took Borage CP-240 (borage seed oil). This treatment alone gave me my energy back and cleared my skin in two weeks. I then was put on a liver cleanse, and given iodine and other vitamins to help my liver. People who saw me as I was going through this are amazed at how my skin is back to normal and I have energy again.

Comment from: Laura M., 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 06

My granddaughter has serious bouts with eczema. After trying numerous prescriptions, the doctor suggested she bathe/play in a tub of water with 1/4 cup of bleach in. That settles it down for months at a time. So thankful for something that helps the little one. Hope this helps someone.

Comment from: anna nanna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

You need to let the break out dry. It sounds crazy but I rinse the eczema area with warm/hot water with clear ammonia (burns), then itchiness subsides, and also begins to dry them out quickly. When it is itching and I do not want to rinse with water I pad it with ammonia, and if oozing I get a cotton pad with coconut or other natural oil and place on rupture, but best to let it dry out. That is, for feet, before putting on socks use cotton pad with Vaseline to keep in place so socks/shoes won't rub. Another option is using sea salt with oil or water. Dilute salt well and leave on a while, this also burns, rinse, and then mix egg yolk and white and rub on. This calms the skin. Leave as long as possible then rinse, this also dries them off. Take B vitamins, drink chamomile with peppermint tea, calms body and mind for no other break out. I've heard of raw milk of goat/cow, but farm fresh and not store bought, helps. I need to try Chinese medicine Pi Fu Bing Xue Du Wan. Good luck.

Comment from: Stev, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I started having skin problems about 5 years ago, eczema/dermatitis. During the flare-ups the feeling is just horrible! Throughout all those years I've used a lot different steroidal and hormonal creams, some of them do help to control the periods of flare-ups, but the side effects are just terrifying for the long term use. Recently I found cream Eczur, works practically as effective as prescription creams, but the good part is it doesn't have any steroidal and hormonal elements in it! I am also using it on my children for diaper rash and mosquito bites! Hope it will help!

Comment from: GalintheBoonies, 19-24 (Patient) Published: March 03

I have struggled with hand dermatitis since I was 5 years old. I have found in the past year if I eat two or more clementines a day my hands start to heal. I have been testing this out on myself for the past 6 months and have noticed when I skip a week of eating them my dry itchy skin reverts. I hope this works for others too, I currently have no new sores and my dry skin has receded to the size of a quarter from being the length of my whole hand.

Comment from: FoamyGirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had a bad case of eczema all over both hands for years. Around 6 years ago, I started using Dial Foam hand soap. Within a couple weeks, the eczema disappeared and has not been back. I had tried several creams that worked but had to always be reapplied. But nothing has worked like foaming hand soap. And it has to be foam; liquid soap, which I had been using for at least 10 years prior, did not work. At least for me, this was a total cure. I have not used any prescription creams or anything else since.

Comment from: exzema girl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I have suffered from eczema my whole life it's a terrible condition it caused me a great deal of problems when I attended school I was picked on because my eczema was so bad I could not hide it covers about 90 percent of my body I still struggle everyday with eczema and have found very few med. that helps it gets painful even to lay in my bed due to my rash and at times I break out in sores I hope one day they find a cure so that people can finally find some relief.

Comment from: katpark, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

I have had eczema since I was 6 months old. Around my eyes the side of my nose, around my mouth and inside my elbows. It was so bad I was waking up in the morning with blood all over my clothing and sheets from itching in my sleep (I have very short nails, that's how hard I was scratching) I have yet to find a cure, but exposure to uv light helps. I have done almost everything out there and nothing is helping the eczema on my face. I have done allergy testing, bleach baths, oatmeal, every lotion they sell in CT, natural healing methods, olive oil creams, coconut oils, teas, fish oils (which I still take) vitamin supplements, everything under the sun! Nothing works, and cortisone creams from my dermatologist make things worse, and it burns so badly I have to jump in the shower to wash it all off.

Comment from: San, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I've suffered with eczema most of my life. I always had it on the inside of my elbow when we lived in Montana, after moving to the wet and rainy Northwest it began breaking out on my face. What works for me is Aquaphor (by Eucerine) an allergy pill (Benadryl at night and Zertec during the day) and to really soothed it instantly 'Instant Age Rewind', I'm not kidding this foundation hides and heals!!!! It has worked for my sisters also! Try it!

Published: December 16

I had severe eczema as a kid from the age 9 or so up until high school. It was on both feet and spread working its way half way up my legs. I would scratch all night and wake up with bloody oozing skin. I was very self-conscious about it. Other kids made fun of me. They called me scabby and crusty. I refused to take off my shoes and socks around friends. I wouldn't go swimming. I went to numerous dermatologists and tried numerous lotions and such. I had a skin biopsy taken once and tried everything from teas to changing diet, etc. Until Temovate (Clobetasol Propionate) ointment came into my life at age 15. In about 3 months of using this my eczema was gone. I remember the day that I saw just a small spot of clear skin on my left foot. It was one of the greatest days of my life. After years of battling this disease and searching for a solution. I have never had any problems up until a few months ago when it started to flare up again on my shins. I went to the doctor and told him about my previous experience. He prescribed Clobetasol propionate and within a few weeks its gone again. I don't know if this will work for everyone but it was the ONLY thing that helped me.

Comment from: lexi, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I'm fifteen, and I've had eczema as long as I can remember. When I was little, my mom used to bath me in oatmeal or baking soda (one or the other, not at the same time), and I remembered those always helped. Now that I'm older, it's mostly my problem. I use cortisone creams to help relieve the itching, and Benadryl helps on days when it's really bad, because it keeps me up some nights. One of the most amazing things I've found is soap from the store Lush, called "13 Soap". It smells like Italian food because it has oregano oil and rose extract, and it helps to relive the rashes on the back of my knees and inside my elbows amazingly.

Comment from: LiveLifeDancinInRain, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I've had eczema since I was two. I am now fourteen years old, and I still have it. And I only learned how to actually spell the word 'eczema' earlier this year. In any case, I've been through treatments my entire life- western, but mostly Chinese (in which case, several of them tasted like the equivalent of gym socks, dead fish, road kill, and god knows what else). Recently, when I turned thirteen and went to the Caribbean, I found that salt water helped. I swam for six hours every day in one week. By the time I was gone, it was mostly cured. I'd also been treating myself with a mix of water and chlorophyll. It tasted slightly of mint. I also had fish oil pills. (Don't look at the ingredients). Aloe didn't help for me. Every time I put my hands in to wash the dishes or crack eggs, my fingers would go berserk, but either way, aquatics helped.

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

When I was a teenager growing up in Murfreesboro, TN (or a little younger), I would get these rashes that itched on my feet, which is now eczema. That's the only place I would get Eczema is on my feet. I use to ride horses and would wear thick socks and cowboy boots all summer long. As I became an adult and married I had to work and could no longer ride horses. I still got eczema on my feet. The Dermatology Department at the Nashville, TN VA gave me a steroid tape to place on my sores to help them heal. It didn't stop the eczema, but the tape made my sores go away quicker. However, in 2010 and even now in summer of 2011, I have not had any outbreaks of eczema. I don't wear socks that much either. I don't work since I am retired.

Comment from: Tirzah B., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

My chiropractor and I agree I should try Botox for my torticollis but my family doctor has never heard of this treatment. I'm 71 and my doctor is older than I am. He won't consider a referral to a neurologist. Where I live you are lucky to have a doctor so I don't insist. I use heat a lot. The touching of opposite side to short circuit brain is effective for a few seconds. Anti-depressants help me cope and I have many other medical problems. No fun. I hope everyone finds the right treatment for them. My condition came on slowly over several years and pain only started a year ago.

Comment from: Dick, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

In 1953 in Korea I had to be moved to the hospital from the ship. I had the pilonidal cyst surgically removed. The spinal was the worst pain I have ever had. I spent three weeks on ship before returning to my outfit. I was 19 years and have not had a problem again.

Comment from: Andy40, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 22

I have had eczema for about 15 years. I am highly allergic to poison ivy also. The only treatment that works for me is to rub apple cider vinegar on the eczema. It may take several days, but it slowly clears it. Drinking a mixture of half water and half apple cider vinegar helps too.

Comment from: soccer, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: November 22

My 10-year-old son developed eczema on his shins and the tops of his feet after a week-long soccer tournament where he lived in shin guards and sweaty soccer socks. The rash was very red and inflamed all over his feet and shins. After a few years of medications, creams, and environmental changes, the eczema started to get better. Then after about a year it started to reappear again. This time not only was it on his legs and feet but also on his arms and a little on his chest and back. At the end of a dermatologist visit, she casually said he might want to get some sun on his legs and feet. The next day he went outside to wash the car with his dad and he wore shorts and no shoes. The very next day his legs and feet were 50% better. Regular sun exposure for the rest of that summer kept the eczema at bay. During the following winter months, it started to reappear again. I had the thought to send him to a tanning salon. He went three to four times/week the first two weeks to get it under control and one time/week the rest of the winter and that seemed to do the trick. Now, I know you have to be careful with tanning salons, so when he goes he only goes 10 minutes or less each time. It is December of this year and the rash is reappearing. I will be sending him to the salon again. That is what works for us.

Comment from: SarahJ, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

My eczema started on my hands while I was in cosmetology school. I believe the chemicals I was exposed to triggered it. To control my eczema, I always carry cortisone on me. At night, I apply vasoline to my hands and wear regular winter gloves to bed. Also, tanning two or three times has helped majorly. The UV light seems to help it. I hope this helps!

Comment from: tawerasimpsonr, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

I've suffered Eczema since birth, so I was told and still do. Eczema covers around 90% of my skin. I find having eczema is like a burden that lasts a lifetime. I go to school and see that my face was dry, then start moisturizing with a Cream called Aqueous Cream BP that my GP gave me, then a few minutes later, I just ended up scratching it all off felt like ripping my skin off, like literally. I've just recently got a new GP, and suggested me to a Cream called Cetamacrogol, and it's really good! I also find Hydrocortisone a good cream, but because I do a lot of physical activities, I've got to put it on like, a day or two before I do activities.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I have suffered from eczema all of my life. I too experienced embarrassing treatment from kids as a child because of the breakouts on my hands, arms and legs. My brother would call me awful names and I was so self conscious for years. However, in my early adult years I came across a homeopathic treatment/remedy - Pau D'Arco. For me it worked very well. It's not an instant remedy as it is a blood cleanser, so it needs to build up in your system. My body initially responded with the worse breakout ever as the herb was cleansing my body and as a result the eczema was extracting as well. However after about 2 months, I saw a noticeable improvement and 20+ years later I don't even need to take the herb every day as my system is totally fine and occasionally I will take it 1 - 3 times per week. This time of year is difficult as I haven't needed to take it in 3 months but the increase in temperature triggers breakouts, so I will start on a light regimen of Pau D'Arco and I should be eczema free in a week for as long as I want to be free of it. I hope this helps you too.

Comment from: Barbara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I have determined that my eczema is a reaction to foods. I have started on a gluten free diet and have found my skin healing almost immediately. A few more things that have reactions are milk and soy. By an elimination diet, you can see what can be eaten and what can't. It's not fun but I had to have some relief and I found it this way. Hope this helps for someone else.

Comment from: shadi, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 02

I have heard that eczema is related to a shortage of vitamin D and calcium. I was cured very simply and incredibly by calcium and magnesium tablets. I also think that psoriasis might be related to gathering poisons in the body because the liver can't work well. I think drinking lots of water, eating carrots, and taking flaxseed oil supplements along with omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins A, B, D, and E are also helpful.

Comment from: rd, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I've suffered from eczema since my mid-30s, primarily on my forehead, eyebrows, and facial hairline. I've tried countless OTC creams, high-end department store treatments, and prescription topical creams and oral medications, only to find that flare-ups return after a certain period. By accident, I was visiting a friend and used their Eucerin Professional Repair (Extremely Dry Skin Lotion). To my surprise, my dry patches immediately cleared and the redness softened. It's been six months, and none of my symptoms have returned. I'm amazed – I spent about $8 and my skin looks good. I hope this helps out others.

Comment from: [email protected], 65-74 Female Published: April 15

As a child, I was hospitalized with eczema. Back then, they didn't know how to treat it and certainly didn't have much knowledge about allergies. There were times I thought I would go insane with the itch. Through the years, I saw dermatologists, tried cortisone creams, took prednisone by mouth, etc. My doctor even discontinued my allergy shots, thinking that the serum might be aggravating my condition. A doctor from the United Kingdom suggested that I try evening primrose oil. I took 500 mg three times a day for a month and it was like a miracle. Within 3-4 weeks, my skin had improved and I felt so much better. That was 30 years ago and every day since then, I take one capsule twice a day without fail. I've never had a flare-up since that time.

Comment from: hsks193, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I have had eczema in my ears for 12 years now. It wasn't diagnosed as eczema until five years ago. I have used all sorts of oils, lotions, creams and drops in my ears to control the itch, inflammation, burning and pain. Four years ago I was diagnosed with Angioedema (hives that form under the skin--very painful!). I have used corticosteroids for my ears. Currently, I am in between drops that work/don't work. I take Atarax and prednisone to help relieve the pain and itching. But my canals still swell to the point that I feel like I have a serious ear or sinus infection on that side of my head. I feel like there is no cure for eczema--just ways to lessen the symptoms.

Comment from: rslaun09, Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I am 20 years old now and I've had eczema for a long time. I didn't ever have it as an infant but when I got to the age of about 11 years old I developed rashes of the inside of my elbows. Within the last 3 years it's been appearing on the back of my knees, inside of my thighs and behind my ears. I use a cream that my doctor prescribed and I bathe every other day to allow my skin to re-oil itself and when I do bathe I use an oatmeal and shea butter body wash from St. Ives. It appears most often in winter months. I find that during the summer, or any time that sweat collects on my skin I get extremely itchy. I will often scratch at night and I can't control it. I wish there was a permanent solution but for now I will continue to look for more effective treatments.

Comment from: caren deleon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I noticed I experienced scally dry skin, especially on the hair above my eyes, inside my ears, at the back of my ears, and now I found I have it on my hand. It's like a dandruff.

Comment from: shawyne, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 17

I have noticed a change in my child's skin when I put a water softener on the shower head. I apply Noxzema all over the skin including face before he showers. That took away his itching and sores.

Comment from: CompletelyFrustrated, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I was recently diagnosed with vasculitis on my legs. While undergoing treatment with prednisone, my face began to break out. At first I thought it was acne as it is a side effect of the prednisone, only to recently learn it is eczema. Another lovely side effect from the vasculitis. It is on my chin and runs up both sides of my nose. I have tried everything I can think of. It wakes me at night itching terribly. I am concerned because of how close it is to my eye.

Published: September 12

My eczema was terrible my whole noddy swells up. I'm tried every thing so I take advice from my family Flax seed oil works wonders any time of day. Drench yourself with olive oil after a shower before you go to bed. That helped me. Hope it helps you.

Comment from: Paschal, Female (Caregiver) Published: January 05

Within the last year I read an article related to using bleach in the treatment of eczema, having 2 daughters effected by it and my mother I decided to try, so placing a cap full of bleach (Milton sterilizing fluid) in my kids baths for a couple of weeks (just 2-3 weeks), we saw a huge difference, their skin was back to normal, occasionally they have the odd reoccurrence, but one bath with the cap full of bleach and they are back to normal once again. In my mother's case (a 70 year old sufferer) she takes a bowl of water and mixes in a cap full of bleach, and like the kids she is transformed. Best wishes and I hope this helps anyone who suffers from this.

Comment from: chaudhuri, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I have suffered from eczema for more than 20 years. They appear as red rashes on my face only and are the itching type. Mostly, they appear in spring time. The dermatologist suggested antihistamine drugs, antibiotics, cortisone creams and benzoyl peroxide ointments. Previously, these medicines worked, but this time, these medications are giving me no results.

Comment from: Lilly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I have had eczema as a teenager, very much on my hands. Between my fingers were the worst. The skin was so itchy, running under COLD water for under a minute helped control the itch temporarily. I was prescribed Clotrimazole for a few years, then it was diagnosed as dermatitis, so the prescription changed to Dermasone .o5%. It rarely occurs now that I am over 40 I haven't had it at all, even though my menstrual cycles haven't stopped. The only thing that changed dramatically my skin condition was the second year after my divorce, my son needed a cream sooth some red scabs on his buttocks. It was Diclofenac, they went away, and he's fine now. While applying it for him, MY skin cleared. So I contiued to use it for a week or two, and my skin has been healed. NO scarring either. Really. Unfortunately my daughter has inherited eczema since her early teens. Frequent bathing probably annoys it, with fragant shampoos. Use mild shampoo like Dove. Wish you all find your remedy.

Comment from: LovingFather, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 18

My 7 year old son has eczema on his scalp, neck, back, torso, and especially on the insides of his elbows. The doctor said to use moisturizing creams, Dove soap, towel dry, and use Zyrtec. My son says that what really helps is being outside in the sun a half hour a day.

Comment from: Dean, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 07

To treat eczema, get a shower head filter at Lowe's for $29 to eliminate chlorine from your shower water. Reduce or eliminate soap/shampoo/detergent from your routine. If you have to use detergent when you wash cloths, rinse at least twice and maybe three times after washing. Use no fragrance Tide. Use Cetaphil moisture lotion or Walgreens label without fragrance. Eat cucumbers and put cucumber slices on bad patches. If your skin problems are set off by allergies, try a Claritin daily (Wal-itin at Walgreens is much, much cheaper).

Comment from: Jacqueline, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 12

My daughter is almost three years old and has occasional outbreaks of eczema on her abdomen, back, and behind the knees as well. I have been softening the bathwater, using fragrance and 'soap free' soaps, and trying different lotions including Epizone that calms her skin for a while. I have now purchased Repcillin Crocodile Oil, it seems to have stopped the itching and scratching immediately. There seems to be natural antibiotic properties in the crocodile oil. The packaging states it can be used for any skin condition including cold sores, warts etc.

Comment from: Natalia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

My eczema is gone in a week! Simple: Use a cream for baby's diaper rash "Zincofax" with 40% of zinc oxide in it. I am waiting for an online order of "Zinc Zap Spray" that has zinc pyrithione, instead of zinc oxide and it helps in the cases of skin problems even better.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 08

I've been suffering eczema in my groin area (jock itch) for the past 4-5 months. I didn't really care for that, and now I decided to care. So I got myself in front of The Mighty God Prince of Peace, the Heavenly healer. So as to my pure surprise, but not actual surprise. It had gone all the way out of the world from me.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I have tried many skin creams prescribed by doctors, and have tried every hypoallergenic soaps and lotions on the shelf, none have worked for me and my skin. What works for me and keeps my eczema away is: Noni oatmeal soap on my face, Olay soaps on my body, and Jergens ultra healing lotion mixed with Vasoline after showers. I encourage every eczema patient to try it and see of it works for you too!

Comment from: Gordon, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 22

I have had eczema on two fingers for about 2 years. I thought it was from my hands constantly being wet and touching many kinds of foods as I'm a chef. I have used clobetasole and clotrimazole .05% which helps but has not solved the problem. In addition I use hydrolatum cream which is over the counter ask your pharmacist, it really provides relief. There is nothing worse than the itch to scratch the itch and those weeping bumps and little cuts. Best of luck in your serach for a cure!

Comment from: Josie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I had bad eczema around my eyes, mouth and on my hands and usual joint areas for about a good 8 or 9 months. The only things that have helped me really were getting allergy tests done and finding out that was allergic to milk and eggs. Obviously a lot of people who have eczema would be lactose intolerant, but it was strange to know it for definite as well. So some people may need to see if they actually have allergies to some food things or other air born stuff. As the best thing to do is avoid the stuff you are allergic to, it can be a massive shock in changing your diet so much as a lot of stuff you do realize contains milk products or derivatives of it. Even things like Imperial Leather soaps and bath and shower gels.But also what has helped have been taking cod liver oil, which has high concentrations of vitamin d and a, which are really needed for good skin anyway, as well as taking zinc tablets that help improve the immune system.

Comment from: PatCat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

After dealing with eczema for 4 years and going to dermatologists, prescriptions, and using over the counter products, I have found the solution that works for me. I exfoliate my entire body every night in the shower, vigorously, then slather on Amlactin (available over the counter). If the eczema looks too irritated to exfoliate the next night, I skip a couple of nights and then continue. I use Amalactin every morning and every night. This procedure takes patience, but within 3 months, my eczema is 85% healed!

Comment from: murfysmama, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I have been battling redness and itchy, oozing patches on my face, neck and chest for the past year. I swear by Cetiphil Restoraderm body wash and lotion. I use the lotion 3-4 times a day and the body wash with a quick warm shower. Also suncreen daily without fail plus I make sure I drink lots of water and keep to a healthy diet. Hope this helps someone else with eczema.

Comment from: nurse, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 29

I am 40 years old and have had eczema all my life. My eczema on my hands has been out of control where washing my hands is extremely painful. I have had every type of cream they can prescribe. I recently cut out all dairy and wheat products and within 2 weeks my eczema has totally cleared up. I tried incorporating these foods into my diet again and my eczema has returned. It has been an adjustment not to have wheat and dairy but I have been free of eczema since I cut these two foods out of my diet. I have started to consume gluten free products and no dairy. It has been 4 months now and still no eczema.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I have had eczema for about 15 years now and recently I have started using Sudocream. I have found it works well. I have also found that keeping well away from soaps and creams with perfume in helps a lot! Goat milk soap helps too, it's gentle on skin.

Comment from: aerohead, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 18

The treatments most effective for my eczema have been skin creams and vitamin E.

Comment from: mona, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I find that using a soap called Cetaphil has been effective for treating my eczema.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter