Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Atopic Eczema (Atopic Dermatitis) Quiz: Test Your Skin Disorders IQ
Does dry, itchy, flaky, scaly, red, inflamed skin sound familiar to you? Take the Atopic Eczema (Atopic Dermatitis) Quiz to learn...
Skin Quiz: Acne, Dry Skin, Dandruff & More
What's that all over you? Skin, of course! Test your knowledge of your most amazing organ with the Skin Quiz!...
Picture of Nummular Eczema
Coin-shaped patches of irritated skin-most common on the arms, back, buttocks, and lower legs that may be crusted, scaling, and...
Picture of Eczema
A particular type of inflammatory reaction of the skin in which there are typically vesicles (tiny blister-like raised areas) in...
Picture of Allergic Contact Dermatitis
A red, itchy, weepy reaction where the skin has come into contact with a substance that the immune system recognizes as foreign....
Picture of Atopic Dermatitis
This condition is the most common of all pediatric dermatoses. See a picture of Atopic Dermatitis and learn more about the...
Picture of Lichen Simplex Chronicus
Hyperpigmented, lichenified plaque with accentuated skin lined caused by repeated rubbing of the area. See a picture of Lichen...
Picture of Allergic Contact Dermatitis (Tattoo)
Contact allergy to temporary tattoos has become an increasingly common phenomenon. See a picture of Allergic Contact Dermatitis...
Picture of Allergic Contact Dermatitis (Arm)
Allergic contact dermatitis (reaction to temporary tattoo). Contact allergy to temporary tattoos has become an increasingly...
Picture of Eczema Herpeticum
Eczema herpeticum. See a picture of Eczema Herpeticum and learn more about the health topic....
Picture of Atopic Dermatitis or Eczema
Eczema is a skin condition caused by inflammation. See a picture of Atopic Dermatitis or Eczema and learn more about the health...
Rosacea, Acne, Shingles: Common Adult Skin Diseases
Learn to spot and treat skin conditions commonly found in adults such as acne, eczema, shingles, psoriasis, rosacea, hives, cold...
Identify Birthmarks: Angel's Kiss, Strawberry Mark (Hemangiomas), Others
Birthmarks can appear on the head, over the eye, or anywhere on the skin. To learn more about birthmarks explore this medical...
Baby Skin Care: Tips to Keep Newborn's Skin Healthy
Caring for your newborn baby's skin may seem complex, but it doesn't have to be. There are many skin conditions such as peeling,...
Heat Rash Pictures, Symptoms, Causes, & Treatments
Do you know what heat rash looks like? Heat rash (also called prickly heat) develops when the skin sweat ducts become blocked....
Dieting Tips to Care for Your Skin
Your diet can affect your skin in many ways. Certain foods that contain Vitamin A, antioxidants, and other nutrients could...
Out-of-Control Allergy Symptoms: Treatment Relief in Pictures
Learn 10 signs your allergies are out of control. See these surprising allergy symptoms and find out how to get relief for...
Eczema (Atopic Dermatitis) Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
Eczema (Atopic Dermatitis) is a common allergic skin condition. Get the latest information on causes of eczema and skin rash...
DIY Beauty Fixes for Teen Girls' Hair and Skin in Pictures
Learn about DIY skin and hair care for teen girls. Don't let a pimple, bad hair day, or cold sore get in the way of your good...
Skin Care to Prevent Wrinkles, Aging Skin, and Dry Skin With Pictures
See how your life affects your skin. The choices you make every day affect the appearance of your skin. Learn how to avoid dry...
Slideshow: 10 Common Symptoms in Infants and Young Toddlers
Watch this slideshow to see common symptoms and home treatment for infant and childhood illnesses including fever, nausea,...
Newborn Skin-Care: Rashes, Umbilical Cord Care, Bathing & Baby Products
What does normal baby skin look like? These photos will guide you in proper baby skin care. Learn how to care for your baby's...
Children’s Health: 11 Causes of Common Skin Rashes
What causes skin rashes in children? See which chemicals in your home could be causing your child's skin rash, irritated skin,...
Top 13 Ways to Tame Eye Allergies
Eye allergies, or allergic conjunctivitis, cause itchy eyes and other allergic symptoms. Avoiding allergens and using medicated...
Easy Skin Care Tips for Guys
Guys, want some great skin care tips? Looking good doesn’t have to take hours. Learn how to shave without razor bumps, solutions...
Related Disease Conditions
Asthma is a condition in which hyperreactive airways constrict and result in symptoms like wheezing, coughing, and shortness of...
Eczema is a general term for many types dermatitis (skin inflammation). Atopic dermatitis is the most common of the many types of...
Hay Fever (Allergic Rhinitis)
Hay fever (allergic rhinitis) is an irritation of the nose caused by pollen and is associated with the following allergic...
Latex allergy is a condition where the body reacts to latex, a natural product derived from the rubber tree. The reaction can...
Poison ivy, oak, and sumac contain a substance called urushiol, which causes a rash on people who come in contact with them....
Rosacea is a skin disease that causes redness of the forehead, chin, and lower half of the nose. In addition to inflammation of...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Hives (Urticaria & Angioedema)
Hives, also called urticaria, is a raised, itchy area of skin that is usually a sign of an allergic reaction. The allergy may be...
Phenylketonuria (PKU) is a disorder that is inherited. PKU disorder increases the levels of phenylalanine in the blood....
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...
Swimmer's Ear (Symptoms, Prevention, Treatment)
Swimmer's ear (external otitis) is an infection of the skin that covers the outer ear canal. Causes of swimmer's ear include...
Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip (Symptoms, Treatment)
Chronic rhinitis and post-nasal drip symptoms include an itchy, runny nose, sneezing, itchy ears, eyes, and throat. Seasonal...
An allergy refers to a misguided reaction by our immune system in response to bodily contact with certain foreign substances. ...
Heat Rash (Symptoms, Pictures, Treatment, Remedies)
Heat rash is a skin irritation caused by excessive sweating. It can occur at any age and it appears as a rash that itches or...
Sunscreens are crucial for sun protection. Sun damage to the skin from exposure to ultraviolet rays is a risk factor for skin...
The most common food allergies are to eggs, nuts, milk, peanuts, fish, shellfish, strawberries and tomatoes. Symptoms and signs...
Dandruff (seborrhea) is a skin disorder that results from neither too much moisture nor too much oil. Dandruff can be treated...
Cellulitis is an acute spreading bacterial infection below the surface of the skin characterized by redness, warmth,...
Impetigo is a contagious skin infection caused by staph and strep bacteria. There are two types of impetigo: nonbullous and...
Tinea versicolor is a fungus infection that mainly affects the skin of young people. Recognized by light or reddish brown spots,...
Eye allergy (or allergic eye disease) are typically associated with hay fever and atopic dermatitis. Medications and cosmetics...
Allergy Treatment Begins At Home
Avoiding allergy triggers at home is one of the best ways to prevent allergy symptoms. Controlling temperature, humidity, and...
Indoor allergens are substances that can cause an allergic reaction in some people. Common sources of indoor allergens include...
Itch (Itching or Pruritus)
Itching can be a common problem. Itches can be localized or generalized. There are many causes of itching to include: infection...
Narcolepsy (Definition, Symptoms, Treatment, Medication)
Causes of narcolepsy, a chronic disease of the central nervous system, have not been fully determined. Some theories include...
Fragrances and preservatives in cosmetics may cause allergic reactions in some people. Symptoms include redness, itching, and...
Asthma in Children
Asthma in children manifests with symptoms such as coughing and wheezing. Rates of asthma in children are increasing. Asthma in...
Birthmarks and other abnormal skin pigmentation is caused by the body's inability to produce enough melanin. Abnormal skin...
Keratosis pilaris (KP) is a common skin disorder in which small white or red bumps appear around hair follicles on the upper...
Sunburn (Sun Poisoning)
Sunburn is caused by overexposure to UV radiation from the sun. UV rays can also damage the eyes. Repeated overexposure to UV...
Mercury is a naturally occurring element found in water, soil, and the air. Mercury also is contained in some fish, some of the...
Occupational asthma is a type of asthma caused by exposure to a substance in the workplace. Symptoms and signs include wheezing,...
Seborrheic dermatitis is a chronic skin condition. Symptoms and signs include a red, scaling rash on the scalp, face, ears, and...
Is Eczema Contagious?
Eczema is a skin condition characterized by inflamed, rough skin patches that occasionally produce fluid-filled bumps that may...
Ichythyosis vulgaris is an uncommon inherited condition marked by xerosis. Symptoms and signs include very dry, scaly skin over...
Cupping is a type of traditional Chinese medicine that stimulates the flow of chi (qi, or energy) within the body. There are a...
FODMAPs (Low FODMAP Diet for IBS)
FODMAPs are foods that contain sugar alcohols and short chain carbohydrates. The gut can't digest them very well. There are "low"...
Eczema - Treatment
What treatment has been effective for your eczema?Post View 100 Comments
Eczema - Symptoms and Signs
What were your eczema symptoms and signs?Post View 6 Comments
Eczema - Experience
Please describe your experience with eczema.Post View 68 Comments
Eczema - Home Remedies
What home remedies have been effective for your eczema?Post View 2 Comments
Eczema - Types
What type of eczema did you have?Post View 6 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Dermatologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Dry Skin
- Swollen Lip
- Peeling Skin
- Brittle Nails
- Penile Itching
- Leg Sores
- Vertical Ridges on the Fingernails
- Nail Pitting
- Nail Separation
- Red Spots on the Skin
- Painful Intercourse
- Inverted Nipple
- Chapped Lips (Cheilitis)
- Changes in Skin of the Breast
- Nipple Pain
Medications & Supplements
- prednisone (Prednisone Intensol, Rayos) Corticosteroid
- prednisolone (Flo-Pred, Pediapred, Orapred, Orapred ODT)
- betamethasone dipropionate, Diprolene; Diprolene AF
- mometasone, Elocon
- tacrolimus (Prograf, Astagraf XL, Envarsus XR)
- hydrocortisone valerate (Westcort brand has been discontinued in the US)
- diphenhydramine, Benadryl
- hydroxyzine (Vistaril)
- pramoxine (Itch-X, PrameGel, Orax, Sarna Sensitive, and Others)
- pimecrolimus, Elidel
- Corticosteroids (Systemic, Oral and Injectable)
- licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra, Alcacuz, Sweet Root, Gan Zao, and many others)
- Periactin (cyproheptadine)
- gentamicin, topical (Garamycin has been discontinued)
- pramoxine and hydrocortisone (Epifoam, Pramosone, Proctofoam HC, Procort, Analpram HC)
- Topical Corticosteroids
- fluticasone propionate (Cutivate)
Prevention & Wellness
- Have Eczema? No Need for Bleach Baths, Study Suggests
- Smartphone Pics Help Docs ID Kids' Skin Condition
- Prolonged Breast-Feeding May Guard Against Teen Eczema
- Newer Eczema Treatments Offer Relief
- Many Moisturizers Aren't What They Claim to Be
- The Couple That Lives Together Shares Skin Bacteria Together
- Health Tip: Learn Your Risk for Asthma
- Eczema Can Take a Toll on Adults
- Can Dogs Teach Doctors New Tricks?
- Certain Staph Bacteria Linked to Eczema
- Study Challenges Touted Link Between Eczema and Heart Disease
- Health Tip: Why Is My Skin Dry?
- Vitamin D Fails the Asthma Test
- Silk Clothes Won't Soothe Eczema's Itch
- New Eczema Drug Gets FDA's Blessing
- Dupixent Approved to Treat Eczema
- Skip the Antibiotics for Mild Eczema in Kids
- Itching for a Solution to That Rash?
- New Eczema Drug Promising in Early Trial
- Eczema May Leave Some Flu Shots Less Effective, Study Finds
- Got an Itch? Use These Tips for Relief -- and Don't Scratch
- New Guidelines Urge Early Intro to Peanut Products in High-Risk Infants
- Food Allergies Among Kids Vary by Race: Study
- Health Tip: Why Is My Skin Dry?
- Antibiotics Before Age 2 May Be Linked to Allergies Later
- Eczema's Effects More Than Skin Deep
- Health Tip: Soothe Baby's Cradle Cap
- Dermatologists: Daily Bath OK for Kids With Eczema
- 'Hard' Tap Water Linked to Eczema in Babies
- New 'Second Skin' Temporarily Smoothes Wrinkles
- Health Tip: Got Eczema?
- Health Tip: Why Is My Skin Dry?
- Safe Treatments Available for Expectant Moms' Skin Conditions
- Is the 'No-Shampoo' Trend a Healthy One?
- Health Tip: Washing Your Skin When You Have Eczema
- Melatonin Might Help Sleepless Kids With Eczema, Study Finds
- Making Headway Toward Causes of Eczema
- Umbilical Cord Blood May One Day Treat Eczema, RA
- Mouse Study Hints at Treatment for Itch-Related Ills Like Eczema
- Medical Bills Another Burden for Eczema Patients: Study
- Cat, Dust Mite Allergies Linked to Childhood Asthma
- Babies Who Eat Peanuts Early May Avoid Allergy
- Eczema Cream for Children Not a Cancer Risk, Study Finds
- Eczema Linked to Other Health Problems
- Health Tip: What's Causing my Child's Eczema?
- Having Eczema Won't Make You Shorter
- Infants With Eczema May Be More Prone to Peanut Allergy: Study
- Peanut Protein in Dust May Raise Allergy Risk
- Eczema Cases Rising Among U.S. Children: Report
- Eczema Tied to Bone Fracture Risk in Study
- Childhood Peanut Allergy May Be Linked to Skin Gene Mutation
- Taking a 'Selfie' May Help With Dermatology Care, Study Shows
- Vitamin D Might Help Kids With Eczema
- New Eczema Drug Shows Promise in Early Trials
- Stem Cells Yield Lab-Grown Skin, Researchers Say
- Oil-Swishing Craze: Snake Oil or All-Purpose Remedy?
- Childhood Eczema Often Persists Into Adulthood, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Is That Itchy Skin Eczema?
- Health Tip: Soothing Baby's Eczema
- Staph Bacteria May Play Role in Eczema-Like Rash, Mouse Study Finds
- Skin Allergies Can Flare Up in Summer Heat
- Health Tip: If You Have Hand Eczema
- Study of Genetic Condition May Yield Clues to Cause of Allergies
- Researchers Focus on Eczema-Food Allergy Link
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Hand Eczema
- Got an Itch? Mouse Study May Help Explain Why
- Dog DNA May Yield Clues to Human Eczema
- Kids on Medicaid May Face Barriers to Eczema Treatment
- Fast Food Tied to Asthma, Eczema and Hay Fever in Kids
- Untreated Food Allergies More Likely in Poor, Minority Kids
- Fish Oil for Infants No Help for Allergies
- Health Tip: If You Have Eczema
- Common Skin Cancer a Chronic Condition, Study Says
- Could Germs on Your Skin Be Good for You?
- Health Tip: Keep Your Child's Eczema at Bay
- Prenatal Exposure to Common Household Chemical Linked to Eczema
- Health Tip: Does Your Child Have a Seasonal Allergy?
- Afinitor Approval Expanded to Include Benign Kidney Tumors
- Amish Farm Kids Have Lower Asthma, Allergy Risk: Study
- Smoke Exposure Late in Pregnancy Might Boost Baby's Eczema Risk
- Exclusive Breast-Feeding Best for Baby: Experts
- Itch Intensity and Scratching Pleasure Vary at Different Body Sites
- Science Probes How Probiotic Yogurts Affect Your Gut
- Xolair May Treat Milk Allergy in Kids
- Health Tip: Help Protect Your Hands From Eczema
- New Drug Relieves Hand Eczema
- Health Tip: Avoid Triggers for Eczema
- Bleach Baths May Help Kids With Eczema
- Can Chinese Herbs Relieve Eczema?
- Health Tip: Soothing Eczema
- Probiotics No Help in Childhood Eczema
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter