Patient Comments: Ectopic Pregnancy - Treatments

What was the treatment for your ectopic pregnancy? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: EDWARD, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I have total pain in my feet, and legs; burning sensation, needles and all. I have diabetes under control, I cannot sleep at night, I have to constantly move my feet around. I am already taking gabapentin for my neuropathy and it does not help at all.

Comment from: Jsjksa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I had an ectopic pregnancy. I remember it was June 15th, 2012, our ten year anniversary. I was taking a shower getting ready to go out when I felt dizzy with a stomach pain and a severe leg cramp. I went to the emergency room telling all my symptoms. When I asked about the likelihood of an ectopic, the doctor told me he didn't think I fit into that category. I went home with the pain for two days until my obstetrician/gynecologist could see me on Monday. They did emergency surgery but were able to save my tube. My doctor said I had massive internal bleeding and I feel lucky to be alive today. I've been trying for a pregnancy ever since.

Comment from: Gray1955, 25-34 Female Published: September 28

Last year I got very sick. I had my son take me to the hospital. After 5 tubes of blood the doctor came in and told me I had sepsis. I almost died. I was also in kidney failure. Then the problem started. He asked me for a urine sample. Urinating before I got to the hospital I did not need to go and I told him I can't urinate on demand. I've been like that all my life. He left and within 10 minutes 2 nurses came in. I asked what was going on and got no answer. They the male registered nurse told my son to leave. I asked again and still got no reply. He then told the other nurse to take my pants off. I started to ask again and I felt the catheter go in me. I gave up after that. He pulled that one out and forced in another one. He was pushing it in and out yelling at me if I have a prostate problem. I told him no, I urinated before I got there. I think he was mad because he never got it in the bladder. My son came in after and I told him what they did and he asked why they did not answer me at all. The second one hurt more than the first and I had blood on my gown. They will never do that to me again. A nurse is supposed to talk to the patient and explain what they are doing. I did not get that. No cleaning, no gel, nothing. I will never let that happen to me again. Sex has never been the same.

Comment from: Hopeful One, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I had an ectopic pregnancy back in 2006. I found out I was pregnant at the doctor's office after having flu like symptoms and breast tenderness/soreness. It was my 1st pregnancy and I was 21 years old. My then husband and I were very excited. One night I got up to use the bathroom and saw blood on the tissue. I didn't think too much of it because I heard from family members women can spot while pregnant, but I also noticed a knot formation on the lower left side of my abdomen. I guess it was wishing thinking, but I wanted to be pregnant so bad I ignored these warnings signs. The following afternoon I felt the worse pain I had ever felt in my life on the left side of my lower abdomen. It was a terrible shooting pain; it felt like someone was stabbing me with a knife. After an hour or so the pain subsided. My then husband came home from work I knew we had to go to the ER. The doctor asked me a few questions and I told him about the symptoms and pain I was experiencing. He looked at me with concerned eyes and left the room. Then the ER nurse came to my bed with an IV and about 12 hours later I was in surgery having my left fallopian tube removed. I was extremely saddened by the ordeal. And I became depressed. But it was truly a miracle that my fallopian tube didn't burst because I was far along in my pregnancy, about eight weeks. Now today my breasts have that same tenderness I felt five ago, I am going to go take a pregnancy test after work. If I am pregnant, I'm going straight to urgent care just to be on the safe side. I just want to encourage each and every one of you, life isn't over if you have an ectopic pregnancy or even a double one. I told myself if can't get pregnant I will adopt so that I can give a child all the love its needs even if I didn't give birth to them.

Comment from: Baby Taylor, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I had an ectopic pregnancy that ruptured my right tube requiring removal. I already have two children with very normal pregnancies with them. I never thought this would happen to me but it obviously can and did. A very painful experience I lost alot of blood and came very close to having to have a blood transfution, I had spotting at 5 weeks pregnant for about 6 days with slight period like cramping but was told it can be normal in early pregnancy I told my husband I didn't FEEL pregnant but told myself not every pregnancy is the same until 7 weeks pregnant when I had a stabbing pain in my right side like an appendix pain and I knew, in my heart I think I knew from the start something wasn't right and I did wait. Please don't hesitate like I did if you suspect anything go investigate straight away it really is a matter of life and death unfortunately!

Comment from: volleyballgirl7, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had an ectopic pregnancy in 2010 and had my left fallopian tube removed. Now every time that I get my period I get severe cramps on that side. I"m also nauseous as well this time.

Comment from: cat10, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I've had 2 ectopic pregnancies and both were very painful. My husband and I had been trying for 2 years, I went to the doctor as I has been bleeding for 10 days (my period lasts no longer than 5 days normally) she checked my stomach and sent me away saying nothing was wrong. Two weeks later I was still bleeding and in extreme pain and a bad pain in my shoulder. I went to the hospital myself and they then said it was an ectopic pregnancy and I was lucky I came in as my tube was close to bursting which can cause internal bleeding and can be fatal. As I've had 2 already doctors have advised I freeze eggs and have my tubes tied. We are going for IVF in January so fingers crossed it works. Just let all you mums out there if you experience long periods, bad cramping and shoulder pain I'd advise taking a pregnancy test, it can be fatal so act fast !

Comment from: sihle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I'm married and 41 now, we always wanted a baby, until this other morning I was vomiting the whole time I decided to take a pregnancy test, it came out positive. My husband and I went to a doctor to confirm then still the test was positive. The vomiting was worse in the morning and night! Until the 15 June when I started having heavy abdominal pains I went to pee I couldn't walk after that pee. We went to the hospital da doctor couldn't find a baby in the uterus and I had to go for surgicay coz it was ectopic! My left tube was removed as the baby was grown too much! Fortunately for me there was no bleeding at 7 weeks pregnant! I pray that it doesn't happen to any woman. It's a very bad experience will go for another baby after 6 months and I know this time I will carry my baby full term!!!

Comment from: Becky, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

After the first methotrexate injection, I went to the OB/GYN 3 times to have my HCG levels tested. They determined that the injection had not fully worked, and gave me another. I was in extreme pain for almost three weeks, also having bleeding ranging from barely there to almost as heavy as a period. Finally, my HCG levels are down to zero. I hope soon to be able to have a child. I know the risks of another ectopic are high, but I don't have children, and will try until the doctors tell me I have to stop.

Comment from: alexa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I had an ectopic at age 18 and was treated by surgery. I have a 5-year-old. I had him through surgery too.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I had surgery to remove one of my falopian tubes cause it had already ruptured inside of me.

Comment from: LovingWife, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I had an ectopic pregnancy and was bleeding almost to death internally. The doctor never caught it in time. I was passing out, vomiting, bleeding, hallucinating, had the worst stomach pain, terrible shoulder pain and diarrhea. They removed my right tube and pumped a lot of blood out of my stomach area. My husband and I had our first baby when I was 22. A beautiful little girl. It took 2 1/2 years for me to get pregnant again even with trying very hard. Now I'm waiting to here from the doctor today to see if I have another ectopic pregnancy. I would raher give birth 20 times than go through the pain of an ectopic pregnancy again. Not to mention I've lost more babies to ectopic pregnancies than I've birthed. I only have one child and I am pregnant now and it's believed that this one will not make it and I will have no other chances after this.

Comment from: Alia.s, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

My period was a week late, and I took 3 pregnancy tests over the next week. They were all negative. I started spotting brown stuff and figured it was a miscarriage. Then I got a weird feeling and took another pregnancy test (it was about 5 days from the last one), and it was positive. About two days later I started bleeding big clots in one day. For 10 days afterwards I had a convective stream of blood. On the 10th day I got really bad pains right where I would expect my ovary to be. The pain got so bad I took up the courage to go to the emergency room. They couldn't get me an ultra sound right away and were going to send me home, but because I was feeling nausea they admitted me. An hour after I was admitted I got an ultra sound. 30 mins after my ultra sound I was told I was having an emergency surgery. I had an ectopic pregnancy with a great amount of internal bleeding. It's been 2 days since my surgery and it's only sinking in now of how fatal it really was; and just how lucky I am.

Comment from: shey, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

Last September I found out that I was pregnant but I didn't know that it was ectopic until I experienced bleeding that hurt. Then doctor said I needed to get an ultra sound so they know what the cause of my bleeding was. Then on September 30th it started to hurt again as well as bleed. So we go to the hospital and that's when I found out that I have an ectopic pregnancy.

Comment from: roxygirl45, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

Last week I took a home pregnancy test and we were so excited! During that week I had some slight pain in my right side. After three days I decided to go to the doctor. They did a blood test and an exam. Two days later I went in and my blood levels didn't rise enough, they did an ultrasound and found I had an ectopic pregnancy. Since I was so early in my pregnancy 4-5 weeks they decided to give me the injection to dissolve the pregnancy. Three days later my tube burst, it was the most pain I have ever been in. My husband rushed me to the hospital. I had emergency surgery and lost 60 percent of my blood into my abdomen. I had to have 4 units of blood transfused. I'm home and recovering now. Please don't wait and if you don't feel good about the diagnosis please get a second opinion. I'm nervous to try to conceive again but luckily they were able to save my tube.

Comment from: Jojo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

Over six years ago I had an eptopic pregnancy. I was a little late for my period, then after 2 weeks I started to bleed heavier than normal. It lasted for over a week so I went off to the doctors to find my that my HCH levels indicated I was pregnant but to head off to thr ER as it didnt look good. After lots of tests, scans, and a curette they found I was having an eptopic pregnancy. I didn't have surgery. Instead I had the anti-cancer drug. It made me nauseous for a few days but it worked. Now I have three healthy boys which includes a set of identical twins. All concieved naturally.

Comment from: lucky2, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I have had two ectopic pregnancies. The first ruptured. I had to have emergency surgery. I knew I was pregnant. I seemed to be having a normal pregnancy until that day. The second ectopic pregnancy was diagnosed with a blood test and vaginal ultrasound. I was able to have a section of tube removed. I was blessed I had already had a girl and boy before the ectopic pregnancies. I didn't struggle with a lot of the emotional pain because I had other children. My heart would have been shattered if it had been my first child. My heart goes out to any woman who is faced with such a tragedy.

Comment from: Beba, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I am 55. I had a hysterectomy 14 years ago. I was told that I have an ectopic pregnancy. I am having a hard time with this is it even possible. Right now the only thing that is giving my doctor the certainty that I am pregnant is the blood test which came back positive. I have been scheduled for an ultra sound. Feeling scared, not knowing how to deal with all this.

Comment from: mary, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I am 31 years old and have had 2 ectopic pregnancies. The First one I was in a lot of pain. I had started spotting and that lasted for 4-5 days. Then the pains came into it. I had shooting pains up my side and across my stomach and chest. Ended up at the hospital in my army uniform and had emergency surgery. They took my left tube out. Then, 5 months later I had another one. Knowing the signs I thought that's what it was and went to the dr. Yes I had another one and this one was treated with the shot. After all of that I was very depressed but, I kept going. A year and a half later I found out I was pregnant and I looked at the doctor and said let's see if I can have this one. I now have a little girl who is turning 5 very soon. I have been trying to have another one and my husband and I have been unsuccessful. Maybe I have just run out of chances.

Comment from: Anonymous, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I was diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy in the last 2 weeks, after I found out I was pregnant with my first baby. It was so painful when the doctor told me they have to do surgery and remove my 1 fallopian tube, the stitches were taken out 2 days ago and I'm now worried about my next pregnancy. Please guys let's take it seriously it is happening and what is worse you can die of it.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Pregnancy & Newborns Newsletter