Patient Comments: Ectopic Pregnancy - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms and diagnosis with your ectopic pregnancy. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: LAT90, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

When I had my ectopic pregnancy (EP) I had normal pregnancy symptoms at first, like sore breasts and frequent urination. I also had diarrhea for a couple of days, and then I'd only had a positive pregnancy test for 24 hours when I started spotting lightly at first, then slightly heavier. It didn't get very heavy until they gave me methotrexate. The ultrasound didn't show anything, it was only the fact that I had a very diligent sonographer who triple checked when she thought she might have seen a slight shadow in the tube. It was ruled EP and I was given methotrexate.

Comment from: Mis, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I had an ectopic pregnancy in 2013. It was horrible because my fiance and I had been trying for one year. Once I got a positive we went to the doctor, but they said my levels were low. I had an ultra sound and there was nothing there, my womb was empty. Once they found out it was ectopic they scheduled a D and C and removed my right fallopian tubes along with our baby. I was never in any pain, but I missed my menses. I was late, so I used a cheap home pregnancy test. I was left with 2 ovaries and 1 fallopian tube. I was told I would have 50/50 chance at getting pregnant. I was pregnant in August 2012 and had my beautiful healthy son May 2013. I had my D and C in April, so it is good. Despite the emotional stress it put on us I am thankful.

Comment from: madonna jane, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I had an ectopic pregnancy (EP) in February 2014, I was 6 weeks pregnant. My partner and I had been trying for over a year but no luck; I had two miscarriages before the EP. It started with light cramps and spotting and because of the two miscarriages I had before I was worried of it being another so I went to the hospital and the doctor told me it was normal and sent me home like he didn't care. The next day I started getting bad back pain in my left side and wouldn't go away I went to the hospital again and they turned me away so did my general physician. After 7 days of the worst pain I've ever felt and the bleeding getting worse I went to the early pregnancy unit where they checked me out within 5 minutes of being there. They took some blood and I had an internal ultra-scan and they told me I was having an EP. I was so scared and before I knew it I was rushed to have emergency surgery to remove the baby from my left tube. I lost my left tube and left ovary. I am so grateful to the early pregnancy unit for all their help and support they gave me; I may not be here today if they didn't help. I have to stop now trying for another baby because of the risk involved. It's been 5 month now and I still get pain on my left back and pelvis. Ladies, you know your body and you know when something is wrong, as soon as you notice get it seen to. Hope this helps someone.

Comment from: Rachel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

The symptoms I had with my ectopic pregnancy were the following: spotting (sometimes clots), tenderness and pain on my left side, constipation, it felt like I had a urinary tract infection (UTI), and if I didn't have a bowel movement for two days the pain on my left side would get so bad that I had trouble standing up straight and I would also start spotting again until I had a bowel movement. I also had what felt like pressure in my rectum. I basically felt that I had to go to the bathroom constantly to relieve some pain. I went to the emergency room one night after almost passing out from the pain, but they said that it was normal and that my uterus was stretching. Only when I went for my first ultrasound at 10 weeks did they see that it was a ruptured ectopic pregnancy. Something I learned was that if you have one sided pain that hurts a lot, don't think that it's normal or believe them when they say it's a UTI, rather be sure and get an ultrasound or transvaginal ultrasound to rule out an ectopic pregnancy. Don't think you're a baby for not being able to handle the pain, get checked out!

Comment from: Mia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I found out I was pregnant about 2 weeks ago and was very happy! I have a son and had a normal pregnancy and birth with him. When I started spotting I knew something was wrong. My husband and I went to the emergency room (ER) and found out the baby was not in my uterus and that I had an ectopic pregnancy. I had been having pain in my lower stomach for a couple days but I assumed it was normal and was going to go see a doctor on my day off. Well I didn"t have to wait till then. I was given the methotrexate shot 2 days ago and have since still had pain and have not bled at all. I don"t know if anything is wrong but I know I will be back at the hospital later today. I was fortunate enough to catch it very early. I was only 5 weeks not yet 6 when I went into the ER. This hurt very much because my husband and I were trying to have another baby. But there is always hope that once all this is over we can work on having another one. I just hope I don"t have to have surgery.

Comment from: Surelytrying, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I have had two ectopic pregnancies (EPs) in the same tube, one in 2009 and another in June 2016. My husband and I have been trying and the EP was really upsetting. I've missed my period by 8 days and it's never late. I think I'm pregnant and I don't have any symptoms of EP, but I'm worried because of my history. The EPs were painful and I haven't got any symptoms at all. I don't want it to be EP and I don't want a negative test result. I wonder if it is possible to have an EP with absolutely no symptoms whatsoever.

Comment from: sara, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I just found out I was pregnant, because every night at about 4 am I wake up in pain with strong cramps. These cramps would last 10 to 15 minutes and I would be on the floor, fighting it off. I took a home pregnancy test and it was positive. No bleeding, but this pain is consistent and I'm afraid it might be an ectopic pregnancy. I will go the emergency room tomorrow and have the check. This was helpful.

Comment from: hurtn&dontnowhy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I'm not really sure what's going on with my body right now. I do know I had a period at the beginning of this month but it only lasted two days, and there was only blood when I wiped. Now maybe 2 weeks later, I started bleeding badly yesterday and had horrible back pain. Then today the blood is a lot lighter (barely any), I've been getting sharp shooting pains in my right lower part of my stomach, and at night mostly I feel like I am going to be sick. That's been going on since around the first period this month and at times the top of my chest, I guess my shoulder on either side, starts hurting and it doesn't happen to both at once though. I am 22 and my fiancé and I have been trying to have a baby with no luck, I am worried if it is ectopic pregnancy.

Comment from: Meisgeier, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had no idea I was pregnant to begin with so on the last week of September when I thought I had started my period nothing seemed out of place. I started to notice something was wrong when my bleeding didn't stop, I went to the emergency room one night in mid-October because I started having extremely bad pain on the left side of my pelvis. That's when I found out not only was I pregnant but that I was possibly having an ectopic pregnancy. I saw my baby doctor the next day and that's when she said that I needed to have the methotrexate treatment because the embryo was in my left fallopian tube. I have one child and she was an emergency C section, my doctor said that the pelvic surgery could be what caused my ectopic pregnancy but we can't know for sure.

Comment from: Ejc, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I was very fortunate to find this forum on Saturday (2days ago) when I was suffering from strong stomach cramps unable to get up off the floor. I had received a diagnosis of a miscarriage the previous week and so I was patiently suffering a lot of pain and bleeding thinking this was just a part of the miscarriage process. After reading so many symptoms that were a match to mine on this forum I decided to have my husband call our general physician on her after hours number. In less than 10 minutes after making this decision I experienced a rush of bright red blood (maybe 3 tbsps) and passed out. It turns out this was the tube rupturing. I was rushed to hospital and later that evening I had surgery and had my tube removed. Looking back the early diagnosis of miscarriage had created a lot of confusion including amongst medical practitioners. So I was glad to mention the words ectopic pregnancy to my husband before passing out. All"s well that ends well and I"m glad to be on the mend. But many thanks to all those who described their symptoms here and beware how similar an ectopic pregnancy can look to a miscarriage. But strong cramping pains that leave you doubled over is not normal for a miscarriage.

Comment from: _ladii, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I found out about my ectopic pregnancy in November of last year. I knew I was pregnant but I had started having really bad stomach cramps, then I started feeling really flushed so I decided to go the hospital. When the doctors did an ultrasound they couldn't find the baby and that's when they told me about ectopic pregnancy. I had surgery, they have taken out my right fallopian tube, now I'm nervous about getting pregnant again because I do not want this to happen again.

Comment from: megan78, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I have only just got out of hospital from having an ectopic pregnancy, I had my right tube removed along with it. It started out as cramps and aches on my right side then spread up my belly a tad and across my back all on the right side, the doctor said I was constipated and sent me for a scan to have my appendix looked at but it wasn't either of those things. when I got to the hospital after further testing the gynecologist found that my tube had split already and blood was leaking so I had emergency surgery to have it all removed.

Comment from: Yaya1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

It started out as mild abdominal pain. At that time I did not know I was pregnant as I had spotting and mistaken it for a period. I went to see a general physician when the abdominal pains didn't stop. He diagnosed me with chronic constipation, said it was normal in patients my age. The cramps got worse and I started having fainting spells, I collapsed at work and was taken to the hospital. An ultrasound confirmed that I was pregnant with twins however one had been ectopic and one was in my womb. I had surgery that night to remove the ectopic and thankfully I carried the other baby to full term.

Comment from: Jo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I had IVF (in vitro fertilization) with 3 embryos transferred back, at the age of 41. Previously I had both tubes removed as they were blocked. I got a positive pregnancy test 2 weeks after egg transfer and scan was due 2 weeks after so I would be 6 weeks. I got to 5 weeks 2 days and had severe pain so went to the clinic (although I couldn't stand up straight) and they said 2 sacs were in my uterus so 3rd probably didn't take. I was told to visit a general physician as there was possible water infection and this was confirmed so I was put on antibiotics. Pain got worse 4 hours later and I kept fainting so I went to Accident & Emergency at 8PM. They still thought it was a water infection and were going to send me home but I was in agony and then I started spotting. Eventually at 9.30AM the next day they scanned me and called the emergency theatre team as there was masses of internal bleeding so I was rushed in urgently. I woke up about 3 hours later to be told that I had 2.7 liters on internal bleeding and the 3rd embryo had ruptured through the stump left from my tube removal. I had a blood transfusion and stayed in hospital for 4 days. A week later I had a scan and there were 2 little heartbeats measuring 6 weeks and 4 days so my fantastic consultant managed to save them when she carried out my surgery via keyhole. My twin boys are now 2 years old, I carried them till 36 weeks then had a C section.

Comment from: Chloesmom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My very first pregnancy was an ectopic pregnancy. I had no idea until I started getting cramping in my lower left side. I put up with it thinking that maybe it was gas, but after 2 days it got so horrible I went to the emergency room where they told me I was pregnant. I had some really horrible doctors, who told me that the pain during pregnancy was normal, and the bleeding was normal. I went to the emergency room 2 more times within a few days, and each time, they told me it was normal, and I may be miscarrying. Frustrated, I waited one more day and went to a walk in clinic, where they sent me for emergency blood work and an ultrasound. They told me it was an ectopic pregnancy at almost 3 months. My tube was starting to rupture, and they told me if I had waited one more day, it probably would've ruptured and possibly killed me. If you feel something is wrong, please don't stop until someone confirms you are either healthy, or not via ultrasound and blood work! They managed to save the tube, and 3 years later I had a little girl! It took a bit of time, but once I stopped worrying that I would have another tubal, I got pregnant!

Comment from: Becky, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I missed a period and was so excited because my husband and I had been trying to get pregnant for almost a year. I had all the normal symptoms of pregnancy, breast tenderness, nausea, all of it. Then the cramps started. The next symptom was spotting. The pain became so great that I went to the emergency room. They did a transvaginal ultrasound, and the results were that the pregnancy was ectopic, outside the uterus. I was given methotrexate, and sent home.

Comment from: Suey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I am 39 years old and found out 2 weeks ago that I was pregnant for the 1st time. I don't know if it's related, but I came down with a pretty bad cold one day, and the next day I woke with a bad stomach ache. I thought at first it was gas from being pregnant, but after a couple of days I thought I was fighting a stomach bug. The stomach pain lasted for a week, but seemed to be getting better. I also spotted and bled very lightly during that week. On the seventh day I felt the best I'd felt for a week - Until 5:30 when I again had bad stomach pain, and thought I needed to have a bowel movement. The pain didn't go away, but continued to get worse. My husband came home and brought me to the hospital. After taking blood and doing an ultrasound, they determined I needed emergency surgery. During the surgery, they found the tube had already ruptured, and the doctor said it had probably been ruptured for a couple of weeks. He also said I was probably 4 to 6 weeks farther along than I had thought, making me 10 to 12 weeks along. It is now 4 days since surgery, and I've not been feeling well physically. I'm looking forward to getting back to my former self. I had a lot of gas pains from the surgery, and then seemed to be fighting a stomach bug again with bad diarrhea, stomach pains, and cramps. Still getting better from that, but I have numbness in my arms, especially when laying down.

Comment from: Trcle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had trouble getting pregnant. After 8 years, we were finally pregnant at age 39. I delivered a healthy girl. Two years later, at 41, a healthy baby boy. A year after my son was born I started experiencing right side shoulder pain and lower right side back pain above the hip bone. I had a light period the month before so I did not think much of the pain-just getting old. One morning, as I bent over to buckle my boots, I felt a sharp pain in my right side. I went to the emergency room and discovered I had a ruptured ectopic pregnancy. Surgery saved the fallopian tube, but there was scarring. After 15 months of trying to get pregnant for a third time, we were successful and I delivered a son at 44 years. There can be successful pregnancies following an ectopic pregnancy.

Comment from: JByard, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I just found out last week my pregnancy was ectopic. I already have one son and my husband and I have been trying unsuccessfully for our second. When we found out we were pregnant again we were so happy, but the doctor was so cautious he wouldn't even give us a due date until I held the pregnancy for 2 more weeks. I started spotting and cramping, which broke our hearts, but it never turned into a full blood stream like my previous miscarriages. I went to the ER and after spending 12 hours in the ER, they ruled it ectopic and scheduled me for an immediate tubal removal. They removed my left fallopian tube. I haven't yet been back to the doctor to get my stitches out and talk about things, but we're so scared I won't be able to carry a successful full term pregnancy again. It is so nice to hear some successful stories on here.

Comment from: tatyana, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I have always wanted to have a baby since I got married. It has been a whole year of trying to get pregnant until finally I became pregnant. I think it took long because of the birth control methods. When I first found out I was pregnant I was at the clinic in which I was seen in the emergency side for cramps and brown spotting. When the doctor told me I was pregnant I couldn't believe it, I was so happy I couldn't wait to get home and tell my husband. Even though I was happy I was still shocked when the doctor told me that I could be having a miscarriage. She then told me to come back for blood tests. Three days later I got up to use the bathroom and I had the worst abdominal pain ever, it followed down to my pelvic area and my back was aching. The next thing I remember is my husband trying to wake me up. My husband called the ambulance and was rushed into the ER. It was the longest 11 hours of my life. After many tests and ultra sounds the doctor then told me I had to have emergency surgery because I had some internal bleeding. 2 hours later the surgery was over and the nurses were very comforting. They told me everything went well and that the other tube and my eggs appeared to look healthy. They told me that I can get pregnant again, but I know that the chances of having another ectopic is possible because the doctor warned me. It has been almost a week and I'm recovering well. I have a follow up soon and I will be asking a lot of questions. I am not going to give up on getting pregnant, but it is going to take time to heal!

Comment from: Selma, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

It was my second pregnancy. (I have an 8 year old.) I think I was six weeks pregnant. I had a period two weeks ago for two days. My HCG was not increasing normally. The doctor did a quick ultrasound in the office and found nothing in the uterus. She suggested that it was an ectopic pregnancy. I was sent to the emergency room for the methotrexate injection, but they did their own tests and confirmed with a new ultrasound that it was ectopic pregnancy. I am now waiting for the HCG levels to decrease. Also, my main symptom for about two weeks was rectal pain during intercourse and while moving bowels. I also had left-sided pain intermittently.

Comment from: Loved, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

Friday night my husband and I went to sleep like usual. About 30 minutes later really sharp and cramp like pain began. Due to the fact that this was my first pregnancy I had no clue what to expect. I dragged myself to the bathroom and passed out there. I woke up to my husband's screaming my name. Then the vomiting started. Our OB suggested we go to ER. After all ultra sounds, proof of extremely low blood pressure, internal blood and a surgery that removed the ectopic pregnancy and its remains. I slowly started recovering. I got to the hospital around 11 pm Friday night and left the hospital around 9pm Saturday night. It was the longest 22 hours of my life. I am still extremely depressed for losing my baby and knowing that the chances of me having a normal and healthy pregnancy are not so great. However, I am glad we got to the hospital in time before I bled to death. Please take it seriously and seek professional care as soon as you suspect something could be wrong, i.e. Lightheadedness, abdominal pain, neck or shoulder pain.

Comment from: Gills, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I had my ectopic pregnancy when I was 22 years old, and I will never forget how bad the pain was and how unwell I became. My symptoms started with spotting, and then I began having shoulder pain, which was very uncomfortable and worsened during the night. This was followed by extreme abdominal pain. It started like a stomach ache and then got worse. I also had diarrhea and constantly felt as if I needed to poo/pee. I was first diagnosed and sent home from the hospital with a stomach bug. (Good job, guys!) I got a second opinion, and was then diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy. I had my left tube removed completely. I became pregnant six months later and now have a gorgeous daughter. I am now 25 and still worry about this happening again in the future.

Comment from: Lola, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

In the case of my ectopic pregnancy, I took the Plan B pill right after the condom broke. I got my period a week later. Normally it lasts seven days. This time it lasted a month and a half! I finally went to the doctor, and was told that I was pregnant. I got an ultrasound the next day but the doctor could not find anything in my uterus. Plus, I was still bleeding with heavy a flow and clotting. They did notice that there was a lump on the underside of my uterus and ruled it an ectopic pregnancy.

Comment from: worried , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I have had one ectopic pregnancy when my daughter was 7 months old she's now six. Last month I got very dizzy at work and end up rushing to the bathroom because I was extremely nauseated. Then about a week later I got a sharp pain on my right side. I didn't have a period for a month, but was cramping like I was going to have my period, but nothing. I would have light spotting but nothing happen until the first of this month. The bleeding is extremely heavy and I am not sure if this could be from another ectopic pregnancy or my endometriosis is acting up. I won't know until I go to the doctor on Tuesday.

Comment from: motherof one, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I am 32 years old and I had miscarriages in January and August of 2008. Then I had an ectopic pregnancy in November of 2008. I had no bleeding until I was six weeks pregnant. It was very light red spotting accompanied by pain that felt like a urinary tract infection. It was difficult to pee and bowel movements were difficult. It felt as if I had trapped wind all the time. The doctor had me go to the emergency room and they had me stay in the hospital for transvaginal scan. They told me it was an ectopic pregnancy, and I had to have my right tube removed immediately. After surgery, I had light bleeding for one week, and then it stopped. My belly was a bit bloated, and the stitches made me sore, but I am recovering well. I'm scared of future pregnancies though after so many failed ones.

Comment from: rainybop30, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I am 29 and had an ectopic pregnancy in July (four months ago). I was five to seven weeks pregnant, which I was not even aware of. It started with each month, I would have a week of brown spotting, followed by a week of light bleeding. I just figured my hormones were off. I started having a cramping/discomfort in my left pelvic area. I took a pregnancy test, which was negative. At the beginning of July, my breasts became very tender and uncomfortable. I had a feeling something wasn't right, so I took another home pregnancy test. When it came up positive, I made sure to get to my doctor. I required emergency surgery. I did not have to have my fallopian tube or ovary removed, but since this happened, I have cramping/discomfort very similar to the ectopic pregnancy every month with menstruation. I revisited my doctor to see if this is normal following an ectopic pregnancy, and they informed me it could be from scar tissue or hormonal. I still have brown spotting for about a week followed by a normal period (usually, sometimes it is very light).

Comment from: scaredmommy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I am 23, and I had an ectopic pregnancy about two weeks ago. It started out as a really sharp pain, and I felt like I had to poop as well. It went away and then when I peed, I was spotting. It sort of felt like a urinary tract infection (UTI). I went to the emergency room, and I was given methotrexate. I hope everything is going to go well, but I'm still very afraid.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I had surgery for a tubal pregnancies about 2 1/2 years ago. And every month when I start my cycle I have horrible pain. I had my left tube removed. But the pain is on my right side. The pain is so bad I have to stay in bed with a heating pad. I am not sure what I should do.

Comment from: yummy.mummy2013, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I'm not sure how how far along I am, but I did a pregnancy test 3 times and they all say I'm pregnant. About a few months ago a had an ectopic pregnancy and I was bleeding for over 3 weeks. I went to the doctors and the hospital and I wad told it came away by itself so surgery was nor needed. While I had thus ectopic pregnancy I could feel my left side was more swollen then my right. I haven't had any bleeding in this pregnancy but my left side feels more swollen then my right again.

Comment from: Tiff, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I have 3 boys and after my 3rd son I had my tubes tied and burned. Me and my husband decided not to have anymore kids. It was a Tuesday I went to work like normal got home cooked supper and when I finished I started having stomach pains. I didn't think anything about it I woke up about 12:30 in severe pain and crying I could not even walk. I got on the couch and finally fell back asleep the next morning about 6:30 I went to the ER and they told me that I was pregnant I told them they were crazy they rushed me straight to another hospital where the doctor there told me I was lucky that I came in when I did. They took me straight to surgery and I was at home by 5:30 that afternoon. My youngest son is only 3 years old. I never expected this would happen to me but it did. It was the worst pain I have ever felt. Please take this serious.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

Just one year ago, I had an ectopic pregnancy and my doctors told me there would be a slim chance that I would ever get pregnant again. Well, I just found out two weeks ago that I am, in fact, pregnant. I'm terribly nervous now because I don't know if I'm going to have another ectopic pregnancy. That worries me. Thank you for listening to my story.

Comment from: Female Published: May 20

I was 21 when I had my first ectopic pregnancy, which led to me having my right tube removed. The pain started in my tube and went up to my shoulder. The reason I am writing this is because I was told the chances of me having children were slim. Sadly, I did have six miscarriages. But in 2004, I had my wonderful little boy. Last week, the pain started again, and I was taken into the hospital. I was told I was having another ectopic pregnancy, which led to my left tube being removed. The point I am trying to make is it can have a happy ending, so don't give up.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I am 23 and found out my pregnancy was ectopic about two weeks ago. I had virtually no symptoms with mine. I had brown spotting very lightly, nothing much, but no serious abdominal pain or anything. I went for an early ultrasound because they couldn't place the due date of the baby, and that is when they found that it was ectopic. They gave me methotrexate, and my HCG levels have been going down, and are at 14,000, started at 19,000, so the doctor thinks everything will be fine. I think I was between five to seven weeks along when it was found. The side effects with the methotrexate aren't great, but they're not too bad. I just have an upset stomach and cramping.

Comment from: atko, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

Last year in November I had my operation for an ectopic pregnancy. It was the most excruciating pain that I ever encountered. The pain was only on the right side. The doctors said I can become pregnant again, but there is a 95% chance that it could be an ectopic pregnancy again on the left side. I doubt I'll ever be pregnant thinking of that pain.

Comment from: bettyboop1973, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

This will be my 7th time being pregnant. I've have 6 miscarriages and this will be my first ectopic! No one could find the problem. I did not experience that much pain nor did I need surgery. I was given a shot of methotrexon and started what felt like my period within less than a couple of days, was bleeding for close to 8 days, and stopped for a couple now I'm bleeding again, so I will be calling my doctor up as ASAP to find out what is going on.

Comment from: jbarber, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I was spotting blood after I had a regular period then a couple days later I was having this pain on the left side of my stomach. I took some pain reliever and the pain went away, but I was still spotting then a couple of weeks later the pain came back even worse. I then went to the ER and that is when I found out that I was pregnant in my tubes and had to have emergency surgery to remove the tube pregnancy.

Comment from: mommy of 2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

2 Months ago I had an ectopic pregnancy. I was about 10 weeks along. I had two other pregnancies before this one, and everything was fine. I have 2 wonderful boys. So when I started spotting this time I became really worried and called my doctor. I went for an ultra sound the next day and found out I was having an ovarian pregnancy. I had to have emergency surgery during surgery the doctor just barely touched my ovary and it popped open, so they had to cut me open and they had to take my left ovary and tube. Recovery was tough, but I made it through, I'm glad I made it to the doctors, because my ovary could of popped at anytime and I could of bleed to death. It's a very scary thing. I think I might be pregnant again and I'm so scared I'll keep my fingers crossed and get to the doctors asap!

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had an ectopic pregnancy in January. I was five weeks pregnant and had lower back pain for a few days. Eventually, the back pain was so severe that I couldn't tell if the pain was also in my abdomen. I started to spot and my doctor met me at the hospital. After the ultrasound, he thought it was an ectopic pregnancy but was not 100% convinced. We did blood tests and waited to repeat the tests. The blood tests revealed a drop in pregnancy hormones, so he scraped my tubes and gave me the anti-cancer drug. So far, so good. I'm all healed now.

Comment from: bebe, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I am 26 and had my first ectopic pregnancy. I had lower right side pain and I felt like I had to poop. The first signs I had was on a Saturday and the pain left after 30 minutes. I could barely walk. Then the next day, Sunday, the pain started again and it didn't go away. I was on the toilet for about 45 minutes. I barley could stand up. I couldn't even move my legs. Then, I started to sweat lots, become very pale, and I was very dizzy and light headed until I fainted on my husband. He called 911 and I got to the hospital and did emergency surgery. I was 5-6 weeks but my fallopian tube had not ruptured yet. They also found two large cysts on my ovaries and I had the other fallopian tube closed, so they opened it as well. I hope everything will be okay.

Comment from: BB, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I have had two ectopic pregnancies. I have had sharp "stabbing"-like pain on my right side. The first time I had bleeding, and the second time I didn't.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Pregnancy & Newborns Newsletter