Patient Comments: Ear Tubes - Experience

Have you had success with ear tube placement? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: GJJR, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I have Samter's triad. I had tubes put in my ears 8 months ago. They are still discharging. It's to the point that I had to leave home because they discharge down my neck. I wake up with my hair plastered to my face. I have a lot of fluid built up behind my ears.

Comment from: christleis, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

No, I have not had a good experience with ear tube replacement. My identical twin sister and I had chronic ear infections, tonsillitis, and hearing loss. The navy doctors told my parents we needed to have our tonsils and adenoids removed, and tubes put in our ears. So being good parents they did it, and after having it done we both were lying in bed asking each other if our ears were ringing. We told one another they were and that it was very hard to hear anything, so we told our mom. Our mother told the navy doctors and they told my mom we were lying, and that there was no way our ears rang. It started right after we woke up from surgery at age 5, and I am now 44 years old, and my ears have (and my twin too) ringing 24 hours a day, 365 days a year nonstop. We had to learn how to talk again because we were talking so loud so that we could hear ourselves. We have to use loud fans and air conditioners to be able to block out the extremely loud high pitched ringing so that we can go to sleep. I honestly thought everyone had ringing ears but they don't. I'm telling you I would love to hear what it would be like to not have this ringing so that I could hear true quiet. I know if my ears ever stopped ringing the quiet would probably drive me insane.

Comment from: Will- San Diego, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I had a tube in one ear installed and it was terribly painful. I feel worse than before. Hearing is muffled, and I am not sure I can hear the same as before. Hearing is off and bass sounds hurt my ears. Not sure if I should remove them. What has always helped drain my sinuses and eustachian tubes was a massager, the percussion kind. This made my symptoms improve. I shouldn't have had this tube installed!

Comment from: snowbunny, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I stepped in a hole in the parking lot. At first I thought it was a bad sprain. My husband brought out a motorized cart. I didn't try to walk until I got home. The pain was horrible. This happened on Friday and I decided to go to the doctor on Tuesday. X-rays were taken and I was told I had a broken bone on the side of my foot and was told I had to go to the orthopedic doctors. I got in on Friday and saw a physician's assistant. One of the doctors decided I didn't need to see a doctor. The bone on the side next to my little toe was broken. One bone had three breaks in it. The ligaments and tendons were stretched, but not torn. I was given a moon boot to wear. What a pain! I was told not to walk on my foot. The pain is so bad, I couldn't put any weight on it if I wanted to. I have a walker and I can put a little weight on my toes. This boot is making my back and hips hurt. I don't know if I can put up with this six weeks. I was told I could take the boot off when I sleep, and other times as long as I didn't try to walk on it. Sometimes I have to take the boot off because it causes my foot to hurt worse. I have pain pills but they don't stop the pain. The walker is causing my hands and wrist to hurt. Because I have to put all the weight on my left foot, it is causing that foot to hurt and swell. If this ever heals I never want another broken bone. I broke my ankle on the same leg 15 years ago, but it wasn't this bad. I have had a bad year. I fell off a kitchen stool in July and broke my tailbone, now this. They need to fix the holes in their parking lot.

Comment from: Larlene, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

Seven years ago I became a grandmother and then suddenly caught every cold my grandson had. The end was always an ear infection. Now with 3 grandchildren, countless rounds of antibiotics and steroids, the doctor put a tube in my ear. Instant relief. I am not feeling submerged in fluid, I can hear and life is great. The tube fell out 7 months later, and my ear refilled with fluid. Yesterday new ear tube was put in and again I had instant relief.

Comment from: Sconsetscuba, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 15

I can't understand why they do not give some type of sedation to adults who have ear tube placement. Horrible to do this to any human. They sedate children, do they not!

Comment from: gary paxton, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I used Spray and Wash laundry stain remover to spray my place and it seems to work better than bed bug spray I buy.

Comment from: BJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I just had an ear tube inserted and it was terribly painful. I don't know if it was so painful because I had so much fluid in my ear, but I would not do it again using just a numbing agent. And I think I have a pretty high tolerance to pain.

Comment from: Hlo35, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 13

My daughter just got her 11th round of tubes. We have tried everything and her ears never get better. She's 15.

Comment from: Steven, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

I am 54 years old, and I have had ear tubes for about ten years now. I remember how bad things could get before I had them. Sure, there have been a few problems since I have had them in, but the benefits outweigh the costs. I remember being seriously impaired for long stretches of time, where everything I heard sounded muffled. I felt disoriented in social situations, and I felt alienated. My ear tubes changed that to where I feel normal, and well integrated socially.

Comment from: Shebee68, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I have had pressure in my ear for over a year now and the doctors do not know why. I decided to try a tube in that ear. I had the surgery ear tube placement a week ago and I regret it ever since. The procedure itself wasn't bad at all but the pressure in my ear is now ten times worse. I could have lived with the amount of pressure before, but this is almost unbearable. I'm hoping they can remove the tube because I don't know that I can put up with this until it falls out.

Comment from: Melissa1969, Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I had ear tubes inserted last year after a persistent battle with eustachian tube dysfunction with more serious days causing significant pain and associated hearing loss. I felt almost total relief in two days. There was very little pain and I could return to some of the work I did before, such as traveling to mountainous regions for client visits. I could not be happier with the results. I had one tube fall out recently, and within a few days the symptoms started again. ENT is now moving my follow up appointment to a couple weeks so it can be a joint appointment with both the ENTs who work in the hospital. Happy to have another tube placed if that is what it takes, would like answers as to what causes/caused the symptoms in the first place as there are financial consequences for me, not being able to travel when it is bad.

Comment from: Frogger88, Female (Patient) Published: November 11

After suffering eustachian tube dysfunction for a long time I had one ear tube placed two and half months ago under local anesthetic. The ENT told me there was a 50 percent chance it would work. It did so amazingly well. I had the other one done today and even as the local anesthesia is wearing off, I can hear better than I could before it done.

Comment from: Regret, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I had the ear tube put in the week before Christmas last year. I regret having the surgery! I"ve had an ear infection ever since December, and been on several different types of medications. Nothing has worked, I'm starting a new medicine tonight along with steroids. My advice to anyone that is considering the tube, do your research and more research. It is very heart breaking when the doctor says he doesn"t know why I keep having ear infections. By the way, I"ve never had ear infections before. I went to the ENT specialist for ringing in my ear. Bad part is, my ear is still ringing, there is drainage of fluid, and it hurts.

Comment from: Mitchell, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I just got tubes, in both ears, about 2 hours ago and, already, feel 1000% better. My eustachian would not drain. I had bad fluid in my middle ear and hearing loss. Hearing is muffled slightly, right now that the doctor said should ease up in 2 weeks. Even muffled, I hear better than I did for years. I"m almost in tears I feel so much better. If anyone has the very extremely rare bad side effects (less than 1%) and tell you not to do it, don"t listen to them. I"m so happy.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I am 24 and I have suffered from eustachian tube dysfunction for years. I have experienced hearing loss, negative pressure and multiple ear infections. I had tubes put in for the first time 2 years ago, then 6 months after that and now just got the more permanent t tubes put in. I feel instant relief of pressure in my ears when I got them in, and my hearing is much better, I actually ha to keep cotton balls in my ears for a few days because everything seems too loud. I am hoping that the tubes last longer without getting plugged or falling out.

Comment from: Kooldude91, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I am 22 and suffered from chronic eustachian tube dysfunction for 5 years. I finally got tubes put in and it was life-changing. My ears always felt full before and I had trouble with hearing, especially with hyperacusis and hearing other people in loud places. An interesting thing that it did with music was it made the low-end muddled and overpowering and the high-end less clear and shrill. Certain female voices would make my skin crawl. The tubes made a huge difference, even my voice sounds different. The initial procedure was very painful (not under anesthesia) but it was over fast. Nothing too crazy. I could finally hear. A problem was that the tubes would fall out quickly for me, usually less than 6 months. I went from the basic tubes, to the slightly bigger tubes, and have recently gone to the more permanent "t-tubes". I've been told these tubes may last as long as 5 years, and may leave a hole in the ear drum that doesn't heal (which may be good for me, or may be fixed by surgery). The procedure also costs a ton of money, and isn't fully covered by my insurance at all. It's also required to keep the ears dry.

Comment from: Dave, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I had tubes placed in my ears six times as a child. My ear drums are badly scarred. Doctors have been puncturing ear drums and putting tubes in ears for 50 years! One would think medicine would have advanced in all that time. If doctors can put a stent in a beating heart I can't understand why they can't stent a eustachian tube by going in from the back of the throat!

Comment from: Emily, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I just had my ear tubes put in and I'm waiting in the recovery room and I feel dizzy and nauseated. My ears feel hollow-like when I swallow, and it gives me pain when I chew.

Comment from: frustrated, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I just got ear tubes for Eustachian tube dysfunction. I am warning anyone considering it to live with the symptoms you already have. I am nauseated and dizzy every day since the surgery for at least 3-4 hours in the morning and evening, I have constant ringing in that ear, my hearing is worse, I'm getting headaches and I hear myself breathe and swallow now. Do not get tubes. The symptoms without them are not worth the headache after getting them. You cannot imagine how upset I am that I had this done.

Comment from: elisabear, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I have had problems with ear infections my whole life. As a child, I had tubes placed into both ears. Then, as I got older and the infections in my left ear persisted, I had a "permanent" tube put into just the left ear. I still get ear infections when I am submerged into water without ear plugs, but the tube helps to ease my pain and allows me to hear better. However, it keeps falling out. As an adult, I've had two surgeries for tube placement. I'm going to have to have another one this year, as the one I have now is falling out and causing lots of pain and hearing loss.

Comment from: 5thsetoftubes, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I have had five sets of ear tubes now. My first set was at age 2, then 4, 6, 12, and 20. Whenever I have them in I never have ear infections, but when I don't have them it is a constant battle. I have had a constant ear infection for 10 months now, but tomorrow that will all change for the better when the new set goes in. The downside of all those ear infections, ruptured ear drums, and tubes is tons of scar tissue that requires me to be put under for the procedure even though I'm an adult and could handle the in-office procedure mentally.

Comment from: BG, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I had ear tubes placed today. Even though I was numbed, it was still very painful. I almost passed out. I got through it and I hope that they provide relief from the pain of eustachian tube dysfunction.

Comment from: DT, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

When I was growing up I had ear tubes placed in several times in both ears. As an adult my ears itch a lot and when I get a cold I get a horrible pain. The doctor said that I do not have an ear infection, but the pain is terrible. He can see the scars but can't feel my pain.

Comment from: Janie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I had blocked Eustachian tubes so I had ear tubes put in. The sound was worse, and I had them removed yesterday and I still can't hear, nothing is changed. The pressure is gone.

Comment from: jackie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have had tubes put in my left ear five times in 4 years. Six months ago I had a T-tube put in. I have now lodged inward and skin has grown around and over it. I have to have surgery to remove it. The pressure and pain is horrible and the doctor cannot get me in for 3 weeks.

Comment from: Emily, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I am 15, and I had tubes when I was a baby and again when I was 14. I had to get the left one replaced, and it fell out recently, but the doctor said the old one is still in, so I'm confused. I still have the other one in my right ear. I have chronic ear infections. They hurt a lot, but I can never recall them bleeding. My ears also itch constantly, and it's hard for me to hear. The air likes to pop in my ears at the weirdest times. I don't know if I'm going deaf or not, but I can't seem to be able to hear out of my right ear.

Comment from: libran, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have needed a tube for years; I am over 50 years old and this January my Otolaryngologist decided it's time: I keep getting ear infections (as I've always gotten). So far, I STILL get ear infections, even in the same ear that the tube was implanted. Right now, I have an ear infection (April, 2011) and it's a serious one, so I am thinking that having this tube didn't really do anything for me at all.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I'm 38. I have had ear infections for the better part of my adult life. I have had a tube for 4 days so I'm still hopeful it will be worth the pain endured to have it put in. A needle into the eardrum then the burn of the medication to numb it, then pop a hole in the eardrum and smash the tube in. I felt everything and it was all I could to keep from screaming bloody murder. There must be a better way! Now 4 days in it drives me crazy! Constant itching and often feels like a bug crawling around deep in my ear then it bites me every so often. I was told to expect a lot of drainage. There has been none. Over all I will never have this done again. Insane not to use some kind of topical numbing medication before they stab a needle in your ear!

Comment from: Female (Caregiver) Published: January 27

My son had recurrent ear infections and at 24 months was delayed with his speech. At 26 months he had tubes put in his ears and within 2 weeks was speaking clearly and in grouping 5 words together at a time. It was like night and day. He is now 3.5 years old and still has the tubes in his ears. He has not had one ear infection following the procedure. He articulates very clearly! The only thing that I have noticed that affects him is loud noises. Noises that wouldn't typically bother the average person. He is very sensitive to sounds.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

At the age of 6 I had tubes placed in both ears. Now, 27, I have two malformed and 1 ruptured ear drum. I am currently seeking medical attention as I have had significant hearing loss in the ruptured ear. I'm also facing serious sinus related issues on the same side (I do not yet know if it is related). As a child my hearing issues never improved after the tubes.

Comment from: linfis2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I'm 28 and had a tube put in one of my ears about 6 months ago due to a serious ear infection and ear drum rupture. This was more painful than childbirth. I was given no medication or sedation only Novocain for numbing which didn't help at all.

Comment from: jeannie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I'm 52 years old and just had tubes put in my ears for the first time. I can hear. It's amazing and I've not had any problems since surgery. It's a relief to not feel that congestion and fluid moving around in my ears.

Comment from: citykat8, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 11

My son is on his third set of tubes since age 18 months. They do help a great deal, but I wish there was an alternative. Having had six sets of tubes in one ear and five in the other I am frustrated that no advancements have been made in the 30 some years since I first started having tubes.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Children's Health & Parenting Newsletter