Patient Comments: Ear Infection (Otitis Media) - Surgery Experience

Did you or your child have surgery to treat chronic ear infections? Please describe your experience. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Hikaru, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

When I was really little I suffered from ear infections. It was awful! I would get them so often, so my mom finally brought me to the doctor. I think they said it was because of tonsillitis, or something. Anyway, they said I could either have a tube put in which was painful and not as effective or I could get my tonsils removed, which my mom opted for. I still remember walking down the hallway to the prep room or whatever, where they gave me something to sedate me for the surgery. I was so scared! Afterward also it was awful. I was allowed to eat as much ice cream as I wanted, but I was in so much pain, I couldn't even eat it! They gave me some medicine for the pain, but it tasted awful and it burned so I couldn't take it. I even had to eat applesauce and baby food for a while! Thankfully I was only about 4 or 5 maybe even 3. I've only had two infections since then and that was because my boarding school was disgustingly dirty. However, I do have slight hearing loss but I am sensitive to loud and high pitched sounds.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter