Middle ear infection or inflammation (otitis media) is inflammation of the middle ear. There are two forms of this type of ear infection, acute and chronic. Acute otitis media is generally short in duration, and chronic otitis media generally lasts several weeks. Seventy-five percent of children in the U.S. suffer from otitis media at some point.
Signs and symptoms in babies, toddlers, and children may:
- Be irritable and pull and tug at their ears
- Be fussy
- Have problems feeding or sleeping
- Complain about pain and fullness in the ear
- Have a fever
- A buildup of pus in the ear
- Have signs and symptoms of an upper respiratory infection
Treatment depends upon the type (chronic or acute).Read more: Ear Infection (Otitis Media) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Common Cold Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take this quiz to learn the truth behind the infectious, contagious, uncomfortable disease known as the common cold. Test your...
Ear Infection Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Is it possible to prevent ear infections? Take the Ear Infection (Otitis Media) Quiz to learn the risks, causes, symptoms and...
Strep (Streptococcal) Throat Infection Quiz: Test Your Infectious Disease IQ
Take the Strep (Streptococcal) Throat Infection Quiz to learn about causes, symptoms, treatments, prevention methods, diagnosis,...
Newborn Quiz: Baby Care Facts
Take the Babies Quiz to learn what milestones and developments you can expect from your baby’s first year....
Picture of Ear
There are three sections of the ear, according to the anatomy textbooks. They are the outer ear, the middle ear, and the inner...
Your Child's First Year of Development
What developmental milestones can you expect to see during baby's first year? Find out when babies learn to smile, laugh, crawl,...
How to Prevent the Common Cold
The common cold is arguably the most common human illness. Learn how long the common cold lasts, treatment for the common cold...
Ear Infection Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment
Learn about the causes and symptoms of ear infections and how they are diagnosed and treated. Read about treatments such as ear...
Slideshow: Bottle-Feeding and Infant Formula
Do you need to warm a bottle? What's the best way to burp your baby? Find out what you need to know about bottle feeding and...
Childhood Diseases: Measles, Mumps, & More
Is your child at risk for these childhood diseases? Know what to look for and when to call the doctor for conditions such as...
Top 10 Parenting Mistakes- Children, Infants, Toddlers, Teens
Parenting a child isn't easy. Explore the top 10 mistakes that new parents make. Discover newborn parenting tips for...
Slideshow: 10 Common Symptoms in Infants and Young Toddlers
Watch this slideshow to see common symptoms and home treatment for infant and childhood illnesses including fever, nausea,...
Bacterial Infections 101: Types, Symptoms, and Treatments
Learn more about bacteria and the most common bacterial infections. Get more information on bacterial skin infections, which...
Germs: Everyday Items with the Most Bacteria
Explore the germiest places you may encounter daily. Bacteria is everywhere. Learn tips to avoid germs and bacteria in public...
Related Disease Conditions
A common form of short stature, achondroplasia (dwarfism) is a genetic condition causing a disorder of bone growth. Complications...
Tonsillitis (Symptoms, Home Treatment, Pictures, Causes)
Tonsillitis is a contagious infection with symptoms of bad breath, snoring, congestion, headache, hoarseness, laryngitis,...
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS or SEID)
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) or systemic exertion intolerance disease (SEID) is a debilitating and complex disorder...
The common cold (viral upper respiratory tract infection) is a contagious illness that may be caused by various viruses. Symptoms...
Earwax (ear wax) is a natural substance secreted by special glands in the skin on the outer part of the ear canal. It repels...
A toothache is a pain on or around a tooth. It may be caused by a variety of things from a cavity, abscess, or even sinusitis....
Turner syndrome is an inherited chromosomal condition affecting women. Women with Turner syndrome do not have ovarian function,...
Vertigo (Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, and Home Remedies)
Vertigo is the sensation of spinning or rocking, even when someone is at rest. Vertigo may be caused by a problem in the brain or...
Bell's Palsy (Facial Nerve Problems) Paralysis Causes and Treatments
Bell's palsy is one type of facial nerve paralysis. The 7th cranial nerve controls the muscles of the face, and although...
Swimmer's Ear (Symptoms, Prevention, Treatment)
Swimmer's ear (external otitis) is an infection of the skin that covers the outer ear canal. Causes of swimmer's ear include...
Measles (rubeola) is a highly contagious disease that's caused by a virus. Symptoms include a rash, high fever, cough, runny...
Foreign Objects or Insects In the Ear
Objects or insects in the ear can be placed in the ear by patients themselves, or an insect crawling in the ear. Ear wax can also...
Cleidocranial dysplasia is a genetic condition. Cleidocranial dysplasia is also referred to as cleidocranial dysostosis and...
Eustachian Tube Problems (Ear Tube Dysfunction, Blockage)
The Eustachian tube is a membrane lined tube that connects the middle ear space to the back of the nose. Symptoms of Eustachian...
Noise Induced Hearing Loss and Its Prevention
Noise-induced hearing loss may be an acoustic trauma, which causes temporary hearing loss, or it may be permanent due to an acute...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Antibiotic Resistance (Drug Resistance, Antimicrobial Resistance)
Drug resistance (antimicrobial resistance) is the ability of bacteria, fungi, parasites, and viruses to grow, even in the...
The most common taste disorder is phantom taste perception; that is, a lingering, often unpleasant taste even though you have...
Headaches in Children
Kids get headaches and migraines too. Many adults with headaches started having them as kids, in fact, 20% of adult headache...
Cleft Palate and Cleft Lip
Cleft palate and cleft lip are facial and oral defects that occur early in pregnancy. A cleft lip is a split of the two sides of...
Shaken Baby Syndrome (Abusive Head Trauma)
Shaken baby syndrome, or abusive head trauma, is the condition that describes the symptoms and signs that result from the violent...
Swollen Lymph Nodes (Causes, Locations, Symptoms, Treatments)
Lymph nodes help the body's immune system fight infections. Causes of swollen lymph nodes (glands) may include infection (viral,...
Upper Respiratory Tract Infection
An upper respiratory infection is a contagious infection of the structures of the upper respiratory tract, which includes the...
Sinus headache is caused by a sinus infection or inflammation of the sinus cavities. Symptoms of a sinus headache include pain,...
Secondhand smoke can cause illness and disease in nonsmokers. Some of these conditions include lung cancer, heart disease,...
Primary Immunodeficiency Disease (PIDD)
Primary immunodeficiency disease or PIDD is a group of over 250 genetic diseases that involve the immune system. Symptoms of...
Candida auris (C. auris)
Candida auris (C. auris) is a yeast that is resistant to many antifungal medications. Most C. auris infections occur in...
Ruptured (Perforated) Eardrum (Symptoms, Treatment, Surgery)
A perforated (ruptured, punctured) eardrum (tympanic membrane) is a hole or tear in the eardrum. The eardrum separates the ear...
Are You Too Sick to Work?
When you're not feeling well, it may be difficult to decide whether to stay home or go to school or work. Conditions that are...
Mastoiditis (Symptoms, Treatment, Cure in Adults and Children
Mastoiditis in children and adults is inflammation and/or infection of the mastoid bone, which is located behind the ear. The...
Labyrinthitis (Inner Ear Inflammation) Symptoms, Causes, Contagious, Treatment Cure
Labyrinthitis is inflammation of the labyrinth (the part of the ear responsible for balance and hearing). Doctors do not know...
Ear Infection Home Treatment
Infections of the outer, middle, and inner ear usually are caused by viruses. Most outer (swimmer's ear) and middle ear...
Inner Ear Infection (Symptoms, Signs, Treatments, Home Remedies)
An inner ear infection or otitis interna is caused by viruses or bacteria and can occur in both adults and children. An inner...
Otitis Media - Effective Treatments
What treatments have been effective for your otitis media?Post View 20 Comments
Ear Infection (Otitis Media) - Symptoms
What were the symptoms associated with an ear infection in you or your child?Post View 4 Comments
Ear Infection (Otitis Media) - Surgery Experience
Did you or your child have surgery to treat chronic ear infections? Please describe your experience.Post View 2 Comments
Ear Infection - Ruptured Ear Drum
Please share your experience with a ruptured ear drum.Post
Ear Infection - Home Remedies
What home remedies have you found effective in treating middle ear infections?Post
Ear Infection - Prevention
What steps do you take to prevent middle ear infections?Post
Ear Infection - Experience
Please share your experience with middle ear infections, both acute and chronic.Post
Local ResourcesFind a local Ear, Nose, & Throat Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- amoxicillin (Amoxil, Moxatag, Larotid)
- clarithromycin, Biaxin
- cefaclor, Raniclor
- cefuroxime, Ceftin, Zinacef
- cefprozil, Cefzil
- cephalexin, Keflex
- cefixime (Suprax)
- azithromycin (Zithromax, Zithromax Z-Pak, Zithromax Tri-Pak, Zmax)
- Primsol (trimethoprim)
- cefdinir (Omnicef has been discontinued)
- Sulfonamides (Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Septra, Septra DS)
- antipyrine and benzocaine otic (Auralgan, Aurodex - removed from market)
- penicillin V potassium (Beepen-VK, Penicillin VK, V-Cillin-K)
- cefpodoxime proxetil (Vantin, Banan) for Infections
- neomycin sulfate, polymyxin B sulfate, hydrocortisone acetate (Cortisporin, Otimar, Pediotic)
- Penicillin (Antibiotics)
- Amoxicillin vs. Augmentin (Comparison of Side Effects and Antibiotic Uses)
Prevention & Wellness
- Herbal Drug Kratom Contains Opioids, FDA Says
- 'Microbiomes' May Hold Key to Kids' Ear Infections
- Decline in Kids' Ear Infections Linked to Pneumococcal Vaccine
- Shield Yourself From 'Swimmer's Ear'
- Common Post-Op Ear Drops Tied to Eardrum Perforations in Kids
- Study Suggests Genetic Link to Middle Ear Infections
- Gel Antibiotic: An Easier Ear Infection Treatment Someday?
- Can an Antibiotic Help You? Quick Test Might Someday Tell
- Mom Was Right: A Good Night's Sleep Helps Keep You Healthy
- Infant Ear Infections Becoming Less Common
- Ear Infections Common, But Often Missed, in Infants
- Health Tip: If Your Child Has Trouble Hearing
- Common Childhood Vaccine Cuts 'Superbug' Infection: Study
- Health Tip: Reduce Your Child's Risk of Ear Infection
- More Evidence Breast-Feeding Lowers Child's Risk of Infections, Allergies
- Health Tip: Reducing Your Child's Risk of Ear Infections
- Kids' Ear Infections Cost U.S. Health System Nearly $3B Annually: Report
- Ear Tubes May Not Have Long-Term Benefits for Kids With Ear Infections
- Many Docs Wrongly Prescribe Powerful Antibiotics: Study
- Pediatrics Group Issues New Ear Infection Guidelines
- Health Tip: Treating Swimmer's Ear
- Health Tip: If You Have Tinnitus
- Health Tip: Possible Signs of an Ear Infection
- Many Babies Healthier in Homes With Dogs
- HIV Exposure Before Birth May Raise Kids' Risk of Hearing Loss
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Chronic Ear Infections
- Secondhand Smoke Permeates Many Apartment Buildings: Study
- Poor Sleep Heightens 'Ringing Ear' Disease Symptoms: Study
- Infections Might Raise Stroke Risk in Children: Study
- Chew on This: Gum May Prevent Ear Infections
- Secondhand Smoke Raises Kids' Ear Infection Risk
- Ear Infections: Antibiotics Often Not Needed
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter