Patient Comments: E. Coli - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your E. coli infection? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: daMox, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I have type 2 diabetes, plus cholesterol, fatty liver, arthritis, and hiatal hernia, so I have to take lots of medications. Went from blood sugar in the 200s and 9 percent in my hemoglobin A1C to 120s and 6 percent in 4 months. I'm taking glipizide and metformin twice a day, eating as little carbohydrates as possible and dramatically smaller food portions (it's so hard!) and working out 5 days a week for 30 to 40 minutes. Metformin and walking every day didn't do anything; I had to do more. Doctors tell you you're ok if your HbA1c is under 7 percent, but it's not. Try to get as close to normal level as you can! No carbs, small portions, medicines, and as strenuous exercise as you can stand it. It is hard but it might extend your life and you'll feel better. Take care everybody!

Comment from: kim, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I got blood clots in 2010, and thought I was having a heart attack. It turned out I had clots in both my lungs. I went home and broke my hip, and ended back in the hospital again. They had to put a filter in me so no clots would get to my heart. Now 6 years later I felt really sick and ended up passing out, and called 911. Turned out to be blood clots in both my legs. They got so big, I couldn't walk, and it felt like I was walking on sponges. My feet swelled up also, and no feeling in my feet! Nobody knows why I keep getting these clots. I am getting tired of the blood test every week. My arm has been hurting me since I came home and I asked if it was a clot. I was told you can't get clots in your arm. Now I read this eMedicineHealth and there are people with clots in their arms.

Comment from: JG56, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I was born in 1956, with deep vein thrombosis in my left knee area. Severe swelling occurred when I became active, consequently, I wore Ace bandages to school/play, and was miserable with throbbing pain at night. At age 6, I had surgery for phlebitis which involved cutting around the knee cap area and folding that skin back, thus allowing the doctor access to the large group of connected veins which pooled there under the knee cap area. The surgery was a success. I've had normal growth in my leg (some doctors warned I would not) and have yet to develop arthritis from trauma to that knee.

Comment from: susan H., 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I was just discharged from the hospital with a diagnosis of E. coli. It took 4 days to grow a culture (from blood) and get the results because my only symptoms were mild (100 degrees) fever, severe chills and shaking, and inability to catch my breath. No urinary tract symptoms, no stomach cramps, no diarrhea. I've not heard of these symptoms in any article or information article.

Comment from: bob, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

Two month ago I started having a cold-like sore throat and then the next day I had excessive flatulence and went to the bathroom and I had diarrhea. I did not have any abdominal pain, nausea, or vomiting but I had the urge to go. At night I woke up feeling hot with a headache. I checked my temperature and it was 100.4. I took Tylenol and I felt better but the next day my diarrhea got worse with blood and I visited the bathroom like 20 times. When bedtime came I slept but I woke up at midnight with severe headache, fatigue, and my fever was 103.5. I went to the emergency room (ER) and they gave me IV fluids antibiotics and I was diagnosed with E. coli. I feared that it was meningitis or typhoid.

Comment from: SEZsmitty, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 25

I've been dizzy and lightheaded for about a month. My wife of 65 years died about two months ago, but I do not know if that stress is a factor for my vertigo or not. Typical treatments for the relocation of the 'stones', or whatever they are called, do not work at all.

Comment from: Tam2014, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

When I was diagnosed with E. coli, I had just given birth to my daughter almost 2 weeks prior. I passed out and then was very weak. Other symptoms included 104.9 fever, vomiting, and loss of urine output. I couldn't eat or drink, couldn't move, and slept for 3 days before going to hospital. I got to the hospital and they got me in immediately. Said I had E. coli and was put in isolation for 1 week on IVs, blood cultures and catheters along with numerous medications. My potassium dropped to a dangerous level of 1.1. The doctor said if I hadn't come in when I did, I would have been dead within 24 to 48 hours.

Comment from: nancynurse, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

My symptoms of E. coli infection started with nausea and vomiting. Then severe abdominal pains and cramps followed by diarrhea turning into bloody diarrhea. I went to the emergency room (ER) for treatment before the bloody diarrhea started. I was treated for diverticulitis. I returned the same day due to continued severe abdominal pain and vomiting. I was in the hospital for several days receiving IV antibiotics and fluid replacement. The pains were so severe I could not get out of fetal position. My nurse told me she knew she finally was relieving my pain when I could get out of that position. I was off work for 2 weeks and had to start back part time. I'm very weak.

Comment from: Mtntrek, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

My background is I am type 1.5 diabetic, on insulin. I was diagnosed with chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP) after initial Guillain Barre syndrome (GBS). I had very sudden onset of urgent watery diarrhea coupled with my gastrointestinal neuropathy has had me in diapers over a month. There is pronounced sloshing in gut in between violent evacuations. With total loss of control while asleep, I"ve not slept in a bed or over 2 hours at a time in that period of time. I had very little pain and no vomiting. Usual hormone fluctuations, chills and sweats, although fever not noted. I lost 10% (18 lbs) weight. Total exhaustion has resulted in little exercise. There was CIDP symptom resurgence after a year in remission since last IVIG infusion. High glycemic BRAT diet is a far cry from my normal diabetes high fiber low carb diet, but it slowed frequency and volatility of purge cycles. No doubt next A1C could be less than optimal. Very humbling experience indeed.

Comment from: pf, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

My E. coli infection started out with gurgling in stomach, turned into stomach cramps, diarrhea, and within 24 hours turned into bloody urine/stools. I went to Urgent Care then to emergency room (because it was Sunday). The hospital did tests, but not stool culture, put me on antibiotics; it got worse and I had two ports inserted, scans, diverticulitis and colitis ruled out. Fourth day in ICU/isolation determined HUS (hemolytic uremic syndrome). I was started on feeding tube and plasmapheresis was added for 10 days. I had lots of headaches, shivering and vomiting, jaundiced skin color and hallucinations. I was off work 5 weeks with very little energy or ability to walk. I had reaction to flu vaccination with more diarrhea and vomiting. I lost 17 lbs on a 130 lb. frame. Eighteen months later, I have my weight back but still don"t have 100% energy and as a runner, my time has decreased from 8 minutes/mile to 11 minutes. My legs just won"t carry me. CBC is normal.

Comment from: Richard, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 04

My wife was diagnosed with E coli after months of feeling lowly and pains in the back and general body. On reporting a milky urine discharge, they requested a urine sample, and a second diagnoses, three days later, was called and changed her medication to a stronger antibiotic, as now they said it was E coli. She is feeling so much better after only a week after diagnosis.

Comment from: boymom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I was suddenly hit with severe stomach cramps. I couldn't stand up straight, or move from sitting to standing etc. I couldn't even roll over in bed the cramps were so bad. However, I never vomited or had diarrhea, which is different from what you read. Every day, they gradually got better and 5 days later, they were almost totally gone.

Comment from: Ashley, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I got E.coli 0157 when I was 20 years old. It first started with loss of appetite then turned into diarrhea which then turned into bloody diarrhea. I was throwing up and could not hold down food or water. I was extremely weak. I then went to the emergency room where they diagnosed me with acute renal failure. I was also diagnosed with HUS and had multiple blood transfusions and plasmapheresis. My heart rate drastically increases as did my blood pressure. This caused swelling of my brain and ultimately I had 3 seizures. I had kidney dialysis done multiple times but my kidneys recovered and now are 100% back to normal.

Comment from: Francisca, Female (Patient) Published: December 20

Body aches and a milk-like discharge with odor.

Comment from: Ababb, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 06

My 11 year old son had a sore on the back of his thigh and was treated for staph for almost a week. It gradually grew and got very red. No fever, diarrhea, vomiting, nothing. He was admitted to the hospital, cultured, and it was found to be E. Coli! They had him on IV antibiotics for a couple of days and oral antibiotics for a week. He seemed fine for almost two weeks but now has blood in his stool so back to the doctor we go tomorrow.

Comment from: rlc1219, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 16

My 14 year old daughter had severe back pain for four days, then woke with 104.5 fever. She had vomiting and dizziness. Her PCP sent her to the hospital and she was admitted for IV fluids and antibiotics. Testing showed a kidney infection caused by e coli.

Comment from: RWM, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

Diarrhea, positive fecal occult tests, symptoms at ten day mark now, no fever, mild case of E. coli but gone on longer than expected.

Comment from: 3-6 Female Published: June 21

I have a 5 year old girl with the E. Coli infection. She wakes up fine in the morning, but as the day goes on as she eats she gets sick with stomach cramps. By the late evening she's vomiting and very sick off and on. Half of the night she wakes up and again she's fine the next morning. We are on day number 4 of this.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter