Vaping or e-cigarettes are smokable products that use refillable or replaceable cartridges or containers that contain a liquid composed of nicotine, chemical flavors, and other compounds. The cartridges used during vaping contains nicotine, therefore vaping is addictive.
In low doses vaping, can cause side effects like nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. In higher doses, vaping can cause more serious side effects like popcorn lung, seizures, coma, cancer, and death.
The FDA regulates the manufacturing, import, packaging, labeling, advertising, promotion, sale, and distribution of electronic delivery systems like e-cigarettes.Read more: Vaping (e-Cigarettes, Side Effects, Dangers, Safety) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Smoking Quiz: How to Quit Smoking
You know it's time you quit smoking. Learn the myths and facts about quitting smoking with the Smoking Quiz. When it comes to...
Picture of Lung Cancer
Cancer of the lung, like all cancers, results from an abnormality in the body's basic unit of life, the cell. See a picture of...
How to Quit Smoking: 13 Tips to End Addiction
One of the best ways to improve your health is to quit smoking. These practical tips to help you quit smoking have been shown to...
Effects of Secondhand Smoke: Facts
The effects of secondhand smoke can be hazardous to your health. Secondhand smoke can lead to lung cancer, heart disease, and...
How to Quit Smoking Without Weight Gain
Learn how to avoid weight gain while quitting smoking. Explore what causes weight gain after quitting smoking. See lifestyle...
25 Effects of Smoking on Your Looks and Life
What are the effects of smoking tobacco? Besides and increased risk of smoking related diseases, smoking can affect your looks...
Lung Cancer Symptoms, Stages, Treatment
Learn about lung cancer symptoms and treatments. Get more information on small cell lung cancer, non-small cell lung cancer, and...
Lung Cancer Risks: Myths and Facts
Learn about lung cancer myths and facts. Explore how cigar smoke, menthol, and pollution can increase your risk of lung cancer...
Related Disease Conditions
Lung cancer kills more men and women than any other form of cancer. Eight out of 10 lung cancers are due to tobacco smoke. Lung...
Peptic Ulcer (Stomach Ulcer)
Peptic or stomach ulcers are ulcers are an ulcer in the lining of the stomach, duodenum, or esophagus. Ulcer formation is related...
Lung Anatomy (Structure and Function)
The lungs are primarily responsible for the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide between the air we breathe and the blood....
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Weight Control and Smoking Cessation
One concern smokers have when considering quitting smoking is weight gain. Not everyone will gain weight when they stop smoking....
Chronic Bronchitis (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Remedies)
Chronic bronchitis is a cough that occurs daily with production of sputum that lasts for at least three months, two years in a...
Secondhand smoke can cause illness and disease in nonsmokers. Some of these conditions include lung cancer, heart disease,...
Chewing Tobacco (Smokeless Tobacco, Snuff)
Chewing tobacco (snuff or smokeless tobacco) has more nicotine absorbed into the system than by smoking a cigarette. Chewing...
Smoking and Heart Disease
Smoking increases the risk of heart disease in women and men. Nicotine in cigarettes decrease oxygen to the heart, increases...
Smoking During Pregnancy
Smoking during pregnancy increases the risk of miscarriage or stillbirth, low birth weight or premature birth, and more....
Bronchiolitis is an illness caused by a variety of viruses that is most common during the winter season. Bronchiolitis symptoms...
Popcorn Lung (Bronchiolitis Obliterans Symptoms, Causes, Life Expectancy
Popcorn lung is a term for the lung disease bronchiolitis obliterans. Popcorn lung is caused by diacetyl and 2,3-pentanedione,...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Hip-Hop Loaded With Pot, Cigarette References
- E-Cigs Continue to Spark Debate Over Health Risks/Benefits
- More Evidence That E-Cig Use Leads to Smoking
- Sales of Juul E-Cigarettes Skyrocket
- FDA Seizes Documents from E-Cigarette Maker Juul
- Smoked, Vaped, Eaten: U.S. Teens Use Pot in Many Ways
- FDA Ad Campaign Hopes to Extinguish E-Cigarette Use Among Teens
- 1 in 3 High School E-Cig Users Vape Pot: Survey
- FDA Gets Tough on Juul, Other E-Cigarette Makers
- Juuls Pack Same Nicotine Punch as Cigarettes
- Daily Vaping Tied to Doubling of Heart Attack Risk
- FDA Bans E-Cig Liquid Products That Look Like Snacks, Candies
- Store Tobacco Ads Help Get Kids Vaping
- Vaping Can Damage DNA, But Will It Cause Cancer?
- Vaping Medical Pot May Not Ease COPD Symptoms: Study
- E-Cigarettes, Nicotine Patch During Pregnancy May Hike SIDS Risk
- Teens Sneaking Juul E-Cig Into Classrooms
- Health Tip: Teens E-cigarette Users More Likely to Smoke: Study
- More Evidence That Vaping May Help Some Smokers Quit
- E-Cig Flavorings May Damage Lining of Blood Vessels
- Low-Nicotine E-Cigs May Raise Toxin Risks
- Asthmatic Teens Even More Likely to Vape Than Those Without the Illness
- E-Cigarettes Don't Help Smokers Quit, But Cash Might
- Cinnamon-Flavored E-Cigs May Bring Lung Dangers: Study
- Millions Try E-Cigarettes, But Many Stop
- FDA Cracks Down on Dangerous E-Cig Liquids That Resemble Cookies, Candy
- FDA Cracks Down on Youth Access to Juul E-Cigarettes
- Could Vaping Lead Teens to Pot Smoking?
- E-Cig Liquid Remains a Poisoning Danger to Young Kids
- Many Teens Don't Know Juul Contains Addictive Nicotine
- Toxins in E-Cigarettes May Vary by Flavor
- Tiny Juul Device Getting U.S. Teens Hooked on Vaping
- As Pot Smoking Rises, Users Might Also Turn to Cigarettes
- With E-Cigs, Flavorings May Pose the Greatest Danger
- E-Cig Ads May Prompt Teens to Take Up Tobacco Too
- Health Groups Sue FDA to Speed Review of E-Cigarettes
- Do E-Cigs Really Help Smokers Quit?
- More U.S. Teens Seeing Ads for E-Cigarettes
- E-Cigarettes Doing More Harm Than Good: Study
- Kids Who Vape Face Toxin Dangers, Study Finds
- Toxic Metals Found in E-Cigarette Vapor
- Strong Tobacco Laws May Weed Out Vapers, Too
- When One Teen Vapes, Others Often Follow
- Nicotine in E-Cigarettes Might Cause Cancers, Mouse Study Suggests
- E-Cigarettes: Both Good and Bad, Expert Panel Says
- Teen E-Cig Use May Lead to Regular Smoking
- 'Heat-Not-Burn Cigarettes' Aiming for U.S. Market
- Switch From Smoking to Vaping Could Save Over 6 Million U.S. Lives
- Will an E-Cigarette Harm Your Heart?
- Do E-Cigarettes Damage Blood Vessels?
- E-Cigs May Help Smokers Quit, But...
- FDA Will Target E-Cigs in Health Campaign for Youth
- FDA Looks to Reduce Nicotine in Cigarettes
- More E-Cigarettes, Fewer Tobacco Smokers?
- E-Cigarettes Lead to 'Real' Smoking by Teens: Review
- Raise the Smoking Age to 21? Most Kids Fine With That
- First Decline Seen in 'Vaping' Among U.S. Teens: CDC
- E-Cigarettes Linked to Bladder Cancer Risk
- NYC to Raise Cigarette Prices to Highest in U.S.
- U.S. Navy Bans E-Cigarettes
- 1 in 4 Teens Exposed to Secondhand E-Cig Vapors: Report
- Many Smokers Switch to E-Cigs After Tobacco-Related Illness
- E-Cigs May Be 'Bridge' to Teens' Tobacco Use
- Toxic Metals Found in E-Cigarette Liquid
- E-Cigarettes May Be Less Toxic Than Tobacco, Study Suggests
- 1 in 4 Teen E-Cigarette Users Has Tried 'Dripping'
- Small Study Links E-Cigarettes to Potential Heart Trouble
- 1 in 4 U.S. Adults, 1 in 10 Teens Use Tobacco
- E-Cigarettes Not a Smoking Deterrent for Kids
- More Americans Questioning Safety of E-Cigarettes
- FDA to Weigh Dangers of Exploding E-Cigarettes
- Zika Fears, Opioid Abuse Crisis Top Health News for 2016
- Kids Landing in ERs After Drinking Parents' E-Cig Nicotine Liquid
- Nicotine in E-Cigs Can Trigger Lifelong Addiction in Kids: Docs
- Drug Use by U.S. Teens Drops to All-Time Low
- U.S. Surgeon General Calls for Crackdown on E-Cig Use in Teens
- E-Cigarettes a Threat to Young Americans' Health: U.S. Surgeon General
- Cigarettes Aren't Cool, California Teens Say
- Plastic Surgeons Urge Giving Up E-Cigs Before Procedure
- Flavored E-Cig Liquids May Contain Toxic Substances
- U.S. to Ban Smoking in Public Housing
- Tobacco Flavors Draw in Young Folks
- E-Cigarettes Not Good to Gums, Study Finds
- Fewer in U.S. Smoke, But Smoking's Death Toll Continues
- E-Cigs Tied to More Frequent, Heavier Teen Tobacco Use
- Flavored E-Cigarettes May Entice Teens to Smoke: Study
- Nearly Two-Thirds of Smokers Also Use E-Cigarettes: CDC
- More American Adults Think E-Cigs as Harmful as Cigarettes: Survey
- 3 in 4 Teens Think E-Cigarettes Safer Than Tobacco: Survey
- Many Adults Unaware That Using E-Cigarettes Can Hurt Kids
- Exploding E-Cigarettes Sending 'Vapers' to Burn Centers
- Flavorings Boost Toxicity of E-Cigarettes in Lab Study
- Smoking Losing Its Cool With Kids, CDC Says
- Many Teens 'Vaping' for Flavor, Not Nicotine
- Doctors Divided on Safety, Use of Electronic Cigarettes
- Fewer Cancer-Causing Chemicals in E-Cigs Than Regular Cigarettes: Study
- Starting Monday, FDA Banning E-Cigarette Sales to Minors
- Why Teens Choose E-Cigarettes
- E-Cigarettes Emit Toxic Vapors: Study
- E-Cig Liquid Nicotine Containers Often Mislabeled
- 'Cool' Factor Often Spurs Teens to Try E-Cigarettes
- 1 in 5 Americans Uses a Tobacco Product
- Are E-Cigs Slowing Teen Anti-Smoking Push?
- E-Cigs May Damage Cells in Mouth
- Southern States Lagging in Tough Smoking Bans, CDC Says
- E-Cigarettes a Gateway to Smoking for Teens: Study
- Teen Smoking Down, E-Cigarette Use Up
- Most Smokers Don't Stick With E-Cigarettes
- E-Cigarette Poisonings Skyrocket Among Young Kids: Study
- Health Tip: Are E-Cigarettes Safe?
- FDA Bans Underage E-Cigarette Sales
- E-Cigarettes 'In' at Some Schools
- E-Cigarette Ads May Help Lure Teens to the Habit: Study
- No Drop in Teen Use of Tobacco Products, CDC Says, and E-Cigs May Be Why
- Web Searches for E-Cigs Focus on Buying
- U.S. Internet Searches Highlight E-cig's Surging Popularity
- Chemical That Can Irritate Lungs Found in Flavored E-Cigarettes
- Teens Who 'Vape' May Be More Likely to Try Smoking, Too
- Candy-Flavored E-Cigarette Ads Appeal to Young: Study
- E-cigarettes Don't Help Smokers Quit Tobacco: Study
- Millions of Teens Exposed to E-Cigarette Ads: CDC
- Health Highlights: Jan. 3, 2016
- New Rules for Mammograms, Tanning Beds Top Health News of 2015
- High School Seniors Now More Likely to Smoke Pot Than Cigarettes: Survey
- E-Cigarettes May Contain Chemicals Linked to Lung Disease
- E-Cigarette Ads Boost Use Among Young Adults, Study Finds
- Teens, Parents Share E-Cigarette Concerns, Poll Finds
- U.S. Adult Smoking Rate Falls to New Low
- Use of E-Cigarettes, Hookahs Rising Among Hispanics, Study Says
- E-Cigarette Use Highest Among Young Adults, U.S. Report Finds
- Kids Drawn to 'Gateway' Flavored Tobacco Products, FDA Finds
- Raise Smoking Age to 21, U.S. Pediatricians Urge
- More Children, Teens Enticed to Smoke With Flavored Tobacco: CDC
- Trying E-Cigarettes May Lead to Smoking, Study Suggests
- Teens Using E-Cigarettes to 'Vape' Pot, Survey Finds
- U.S. Smoking Rate Falls to 15 Percent: CDC
- Many Parents Unaware of Dangers E-Cigarettes Pose to Little Kids: Survey
- Many Young Adults Think Hookahs, E-Cigs Safer Than Cigarettes
- E-Cigs May Spur Teens to Try Smoking: Study
- Liquid Nicotine From E-Cigs Poses Poison Danger to Kids
- Teens Using E-Cigs More Prone to Take Up Smoking: Study
- As U.S. Smoking Rate Drops, Smokers More Likely to Quit: Study
- Teen Use of E-Cigarettes, Hookahs Way Up: Survey
- Teens Unfamiliar With Harms of Pot, E-Cigs, Study Finds
- E-Cigarette Users Often Believe Devices Will Help Them Quit Tobacco
- Smoking Rates Continue to Drop in Many States: CDC
- Canadian Teens Trying E-Cigarettes as Often as Cigarettes: Study
- Expert Panel Unclear on Whether E-Cigarettes Help Smokers Quit
- Many Pregnant Women Think E-Cigarettes 'Safer' Than Regular Cigarettes
- More Than 1 in 10 Teens Has Tried E-Cigarettes, Study Finds
- Ban Flavoring, Ads for E-Cigarettes, Doctors' Group Says
- E-Cigarette Use Triples Among U.S. Teens in 1 Year
- E-Cigarettes May Not Help Smokers Quit Tobacco, Study Finds
- About 1 in 10 Kids Tries E-Cigarettes
- Chemicals in Some Flavored E-Cigs Exceed Recommended Limits: Study
- E-Cigs Tied to Drinking, Other Risky Teen Behaviors
- E-Cigarettes May Pose a Risk in Pregnancy and to Children
- CDC Launches New Round of Graphic Anti-Smoking Ads
- E-Cigarette Ads Linked to Tobacco Cravings
- E-Cigarette Use in College Tied to Other Risky Behaviors
- Raise Legal Smoking Age to 21, U.S. Expert Panel Says
- Teens Can Easily Buy E-Cigarettes Online
- What's in Your E-Cigarette?
- E-Cigarettes Seem to Dampen Immune Response in Mice
- Some Kids Use Tobacco, E-Cigarettes Together, Study Finds
- High Levels of Cancer-Linked Chemical in E-Cigarette Vapor, Study Finds
- Many Teens Think 'Light Smoking' Is Safe, Study Finds
- Study Suggests Link Between E-Cigarettes, Respiratory Infections
- Cancer Groups Urge More Regulation of E-Cigarettes
- Ebola, Obamacare Top U.S. Health News for 2014
- E-Cigarettes Less Addictive Than Regular Cigarettes, Study Finds
- E-Cigarette Use May Be Rising Among Teens
- Millions of U.S. Kids Still Can Buy 'Harmful' E-Cigarettes: CDC
- More Than One-Fifth of High School Students Smoke: CDC
- E-Cigarette Use Among Adult Nonsmokers Levels Off: CDC
- E-Cigarettes Don't Help Cancer Patients Quit Smoking: Study
- E-Cigarette Refills Pose Danger to Kids, Experts Say
- WHO's Call for E-Cigarette Ban Criticized
- E-Cigarette Vapor May Be Less Toxic Than Tobacco Smoke: Study
- Ban Indoor Use of E-Cigarettes, U.N. Health Agency Says
- Number of Young Non-Smokers Who Tried E-Cigs Tripled in 2 Years
- E-Cigarettes Should Be Regulated Like Tobacco: American Heart Association
- Benefits of E-Cigarettes May Outweigh Harms, Study Finds
- Lung Groups: Governments Should Limit or Ban Use of E-Cigarettes
- CDC Readies Latest Graphic Anti-Smoking Ads
- E-Cigarette Sources Soaring, Study Finds
- Less Smoking, Sex and Fighting Among U.S. High School Kids: CDC
- E-Cigarette Advertising Soars on American TV, Study Finds
- Can E-Cigarettes Help You Quit Smoking?
- People With Mental Health Issues More Likely to Turn to E-Cigarettes: Study
- Nicotine Poisoning of Infant Highlights 'E-Cig' Dangers, Docs Report
- E-Cigarette Vapor Contains Potentially Harmful Particles: Review
- Young Adults Think E-Cigs Safer Than Tobacco Ones
- Electronic Cigarettes: Q&A
- FDA to Propose E-Cigarette Regulations
- Liquid Nicotine in E-Cigarettes Rising Cause of Poisonings: CDC
- E-Cigarettes: What the Research Shows
- E-Cigarettes Won't Help You Quit, Study Finds