Indigestion (dyspepsia) can be caused by diseases or conditions that involve the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, and also by some diseases and conditions that do not involve the GI tract. Indigestion can be a chronic condition in which the symptoms fluctuate infrequency and intensity. Signs and symptoms that accompany indigestion include pain in the chest, upper abdominal pain, belching, nausea, bloating, abdominal distention, feeling full after eating only a small portion of food, and rarely, vomiting.
During pregnancy indigestion may become worse. Home remedies, medication, and lifestyle changes can help relieve and cure indigestion its symptoms.Read more: Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach Pain) Symptoms, Relief Remedies, Medicine Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Stress Quiz: Test Your Emotional IQ
Stress creeps into everyone's life at one time or another, while some people will suffer from poorly managed chronic stress. If...
Constipation: Foods to Eat, Foods to Avoid
Take this quiz to find out what foods to eat, and what foods to avoid to prevent or relieve constipation....
Stomach Pain Quiz: Nausea & Other Causes
Tummy Troubles? Get a better idea of what's causing the nausea, vomiting, bloating, gas, constipation, diarrhea, pain, and other...
Diabetes Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take the Diabetes Quiz and learn the causes, signs, symptoms, and types of this growing epidemic. What does diabetes have to do...
Kidney Disease Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Kidney disease is common. Take this kidney disease quiz to test your knowledge and learn the symptoms, causes and types of kidney...
Thyroid Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Your unexplained change in weight could indicate a thyroid condition. Take the Thyroid Quiz to learn about common symptoms and...
Picture of Gastroesophageal Reflux (GERD)
The stomach contents regurgitate and back up (reflux) into the esophagus The food in the stomach is partially digested by...
Picture of Stomach
The stomach is a muscular sac located on the left side of the upper abdomen. See a picture of the Stomach and learn more about...
Picture of Esophagus
The esophagus is a muscular tube connecting the throat (pharynx) with the stomach. See a picture of the Esophagus and learn more...
Diet for Stress Management: Carbs, Nuts, and Other Stress-Relief Foods
While there are many ways to cope with stress, one strategy is to eat stress-fighting foods. Find out which foods to eat as part...
Men's Health: Dealing With Body Odor, Sweating, Back Hair, & More
Most men struggle with belly fat, back hair, sweating, erectile dysfunction, gas, body odor, or bad breath at some point. Get...
Anxiety Disorder Pictures: Symptoms, Panic Attacks, and More with Pictures
Learn about generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). See if your worries are normal or something more by learning about symptoms,...
Super Tips to Boost Digestive Health: Bloating, Constipation, and More
Upset stomach? Some foods may be the culprits, and bad habits may be to blame. Treat your body right with these simple nutrition...
What's Causing Your Abdominal Pain?
Get the facts on the most common causes of abdominal pain. Learn the difference between a stomachache and more serious causes of...
Digestive Health: 10 Probiotic Foods That Help Digestion
Probiotics are beneficial bacteria and yeasts found in probiotic foods and fermented products like kimchi, kombucha, and kefir....
Stress Pictures Slideshow: 10 Ways to Stop Stress
Feeling stressed? Watch this pictures slideshow for 10 ways to stop stress now. Focusing on breathing, journaling, and even...
Digestive Health: Why Am I Bloated?
Bloating is a sign and symptom of gas in the stomach or GI tract. Certain foods or health problems like constipation may cause...
Related Disease Conditions
Constipation (Relief, Home Remedies, Treatment Medications)
Constipation is defined medically as fewer than three stools per week and severe constipation as less than one stool per week....
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Intestinal Gas (Belching, Bloating, Flatulence)
Gas (intestinal gas) means different things to different people. Everyone has gas and eliminates it by belching, burping, or...
GERD (Acid Reflux, Heartburn)
GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is a condition in which the acidified liquid contents of the stomach backs up into the...
H. pylori (Helicobacter Pylori) Infection
Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) is a bacteria that causes chronic inflammation (gastritis) of the inner lining of the stomach,...
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a GI (gastrointestinal) disorder with signs and symptoms that include abdominal pain, bloating,...
Peptic Ulcer (Stomach Ulcer)
Peptic or stomach ulcers are ulcers are an ulcer in the lining of the stomach, duodenum, or esophagus. Ulcer formation is related...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Diarrhea (Causes, Medicine, Remedies, Treatment)
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas, colitis,...
Hyperparathyroidism is a disorder of the parathyroid glands. There are two types of hyperparathyroidism, primary and secondary....
Lactose intolerance is a common problem where a person's digestive system cannot digest lactose. Signs and symptoms include:...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Heartburn during Pregnancy
Heartburn during pregnancy is quite common. During pregnancy the lower esophageal sphincter muscle becomes weakened , which...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Esophagitis is caused by an infection or irritation of the esophagus. Infections that cause esophagitis include candida yeast...
GERD and GER (Acid Reflux) in Infants and Children
GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is the upward movement of stomach content, including acid, into the esophagus and...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Stress Management Techniques
Stress may be considered as any physical, chemical, or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental unrest and that may be a...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Chest pain is a common complaint by a patient in the ER. Causes of chest pain include broken or bruised ribs, pleurisy,...
Gastritis Symptoms, Causes, Diet, Home Remedies, Treatment, and Cure
Gastritis (acute and chronic) is an inflammation of the lining of the stomach Some people have no gastritis symptoms, but when...
There are several types of thyroid disorders including hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, goiters, thyroid nodules, and thyroid...
Enlarged Spleen (Splenomegaly) Symptoms, Signs, Causes,Treatment
An enlarged spleen or splenomegaly, is generally caused by other diseases or conditions such as infections, cancers, blood...
Gallbladder Pain (Gall Bladder Pain)
Gallbladder pain (often misspelled "gall bladder") is generally produced by of five problems, biliary colic, cholecystitis,...
12 Foods to Eat to Relieve Constipation
Constipation is a common problem, and almost everyone has been constipated at one time or another. There are foods that can help...
IBS-D (Irritable Bowel Syndrome with Diarrhea)
IBS-D or irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea refers to IBS with diarrhea. Symptoms of IBS-D include intestinal gas...
FODMAPs (Low FODMAP Diet for IBS)
FODMAPs are foods that contain sugar alcohols and short chain carbohydrates. The gut can't digest them very well. There are "low"...
Why Am I So Bloated and Gassy?
Bloating is a feeling that your abdomen is distended or larger than normal, but it does not necessarily mean that it is. Gas...
Diabetes Symptoms in Women
Diabetes symptoms in women include vaginal itching, pain, or discharge, loss if interest or pain after having sex, polycystic...
Diabetes Symptoms in Men
Diabetes mellitus is a disease in which a person's blood sugar (blood glucose) is either too high (hyperglycemia) or too low...
Local ResourcesFind a local Gastroenterologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- CT Scan (Computerized Tomography)
- Colonoscopy (Test, Side Effects, Preparation, Recovery)
- Endoscopy (EGD) Procedure
- Barium Enema
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging Scan)
- Upper GI Series (Barium Swallow)
- Electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG)
- Lactose Tolerance Test
- Urea Breath Test Procedure
- Esophageal Manometry
- Esophageal pH Monitoring
- Hydrogen Breath Test
- Antro-duodenal Motility Study
- Gastric Emptying Study
- Fecal Occult Blood Test
- Electroencephalogram (EEG)
- Capsule Endoscopy
- Lap Band (Surgery)
Medications & Supplements
- famotidine 10 mg - oral, Pepcid AC
- famotidine/calcium carbonate/magnesium hydroxide - chewable, Pepcid Complete
- ranitidine 75 mg - oral, Acid Reducer, Zantac 75
- cimetidine - oral, Tagamet
- hyoscyamine, atropine, scopolamine and phenobarbital, Donnatal
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- lansoprazole (Heartburn Relief 24 Hour, Heartburn Treatment 24 Hour, Prevacid 24)
- omeprazole (Prilosec, Zegerid)
- cisapride, Propulsid
- metoclopramide, Reglan, Metozolv ODT, (Reglan ODT, Octamide, and Maxolon
- desipramine, Norpramin
- pantoprazole (Protonix)
- rabeprazole (Aciphex)
- esomeprazole (Nexium)
- Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs) Drug Class
- magnesium hydroxide - oral
- Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) and Electrolytes
- goldenseal (hydrastis canadensis) - oral
- magnesium citrate (Citrate of Magnesia, Citroma)
- sodium bicarbonate
- aluminum hydroxide, magnesium hydroxide, simethicone antacids (Mylanta, Mylanta Maximum Strength)
- magaldrate-oral, Riopan
- bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto Bismol, Kaopectate)
- Digestive Enzymes Supplements
- ginger (zingiber officinale) - oral
- calcium salts (Cal-Citrate, Calcitrate, Calcium Chloride, Rolaids, Oyster Shell, Tums, and others)
Prevention & Wellness
- Swallowed Batteries Should Be Removed to Avoid Stomach Damage: Study
- Is It Heartburn or Something Else?
- Science Puzzling Out Differences in Gut Bacteria Around the World
- Could Germs in Your Gut Send You Into Depression?
- Health Tip: Uncovering Causes of Bloating
- Pill Expands in Your Stomach to Spot and Track Disease
- A Single Energy Drink Might Harm Blood Vessels: Study
- You Probably Have 'Microplastics' in Your Poop: Study
- Your Gut May Be to Blame for Your Bloodstream Infection
- Deep Space Travel May Damage GI Tract, Animal Study Shows
- Health Tip: Keep Your Gut in Good Condition
- Jury Still Out on Probiotics
- It's Called Kombucha. But Is It Good for You?
- A Germ-Filled Capsule Might Help Spot Gastro Ills
- That Ocean Swim May Come With Infection Risks
- Popular Heartburn Drugs May Boost Death Risk: Study
- A Surprising Culprit Behind Celiac Disease?
- Gastro Issues May Be Downside to Weight-Loss Surgery
- Could Common Heartburn Drugs Up Stroke Risk?
- Know Your Risk for Ovarian Cancer -- and the Symptoms
- FAQ: New 'Stomach Pump' Weight Loss Device
- FDA Approves New Weight-Loss Device
- Health Tip: Is it Indigestion?
- Health Tip: Women May Have Unique Heart Disease Symptoms
- Chronic Heartburn Drugs Tied to Higher Risk of Kidney Disease
- Many Women Unaware of Female-Specific Stroke Symptoms
- Pack a Travel First-Aid Kit for the Holidays
- Akynzeo Approved for Side Effects of Chemotherapy
- Bowel Illnesses Sometimes Coincide in Kids
- Docs Detail Healthy Food Choices for Super Bowl Sunday
- Losing Weight May Ease Chronic Heartburn
- Diabetes Drug Metformin May Fight Cancer
- Women, Young Adults Misinterpret Chest Pain: Study
- Health Tip: Are Your Child's Tantrums Dangerous?
- Weekly Shot Gets FDA Nod for Type 2 Diabetes
- Some Acid Reflux Drugs Linked to C. diff
- FDA Approves Prostate Cancer Drug Zytiga
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter