Patient Comments: Dyslexia - Describe Your Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms you or your child experienced with dyslexia. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: ktedder, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I was diagnosed with dyslexia at an early age. I took speech classes along with several other tests/studies all the way through middle school. The school system told me that I would never be able to read past a fifth grade level. Well, here I am years later, with a Master's degree in architecture and sitting pretty at a great job. I still struggle with dyslexia every day, however, being aware of my condition helps me cope with it. This just goes to show you, never let people tell you that you aren't good enough, or won't ever be good enough to achieve greatness. Dyslexia does not change what your future can be, it just gives you a reason to smile when you get there.

Comment from: Dup, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have never actually been diagnosed with dyslexia, but I am pretty sure that I have it. My daughter is dyslexic which we did not know until she was in 5th grade. My symptoms include, but are not limited to the following: I have never been able to tell left from right. My 2nd grade teacher told me that I was going to be in 2nd grade for the rest of my life if I did not try harder to learn to read. (We moved after that.) I was always in the slowest/lowest reading group until 4th grade when they quit group reading. My spelling is less than good. I always tried to prepare myself for read aloud stuff in my classes even in high school because I stumbled all over the place and sounded stupid. The intelligence is there. I learned to read above grade level by 8th grade, but even now, I read at the sound of actual speech. I have always had trouble moving to music, I guess I do not hear the beat. I cannot do group exercise or line dancing because I go left when I ought to go right and vice versa. Currently, I am attending college and still have trouble remembering information and copying teacher's notes off the board is still a problem; I leave out key phrases or words. Classes with lots of board notes and noise leave me emotionally and physically drained.

Comment from: DeeCee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I'm currently going back to college. I have always had trouble with p, q, d and b. I have always gotten good grades but trouble spelling! I have the worst time typing! Auto correct helps but I am always catching my mistakes. I always felt slow when reading and struggle passing typing because of all of my errors. It takes me twice as long to read or write. I feel for those students that have to rely on typing so much more these days!

Comment from: Been there Done that, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I was in the fourth grade when my parents were told I should be tested for dyslexia. By this time I was failing math and struggling with English, which I was very upset about. Many people are surprised when I say I have dyslexia. It sometimes feels that to have dyslexia is to be labeled as stupid or just too lazy to learn like the other “normal” students. I can remember a teacher making me cry because I used my figures to do "simple" math problems. I jump ahead of myself while writing long paragraphs or a short sentence. I am constantly checking and re-checking my work even now at the age of 24. While in grade school I was told I was taking to long to do, once again, “simple” tasks. I always read at my appropriate reading level, but when asked to read aloud in class I became easily confused by words I knew that I KNEW! Instead of paying attention to what was being read in class I was trying to predict when I would have to read so I could jump ahead to prepare myself before I had to read it to the class. Before I taught myself what to look for I became very good at fooling those around me into thinking I didn't have any problems in class. For the most part I have it under control, but occasionally my symptoms will pop-up unexpectedly. For parents with dyslexic children or teachers who have students with dyslexia the best piece of advice I can offer is patience. I know that at times it can be hard, but just remember as frustrating as it is for you, it is twice as frustrating for the child. Dyslexia is something that with time, practice, and patience can be overcome or at least controlled; I am proof of that. While in college I was on the Dean's List multiple times, won several writing awards, and was a member of the National Honor Society. To reiterate, dyslexia does not mean stupid, lazy, or any other negative label people associate with a learning disability; it just means those children need a little extra time and need to be in an environment where they are encouraged to do their best and are not expected to live up to the expectations of the “smart, normal” students.

Comment from: Deb, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 14

My 10 year old son has SO much trouble spelling even though he is SO smart. We're already working with him for his Sensory Integration Disorder (Concerned Oldie - your description sounds exactly like my son) and ADHD. Both of those challenges have really come under control with Occupational Therapy and Concerta. I'm still so puzzled with his spelling, dysgraphia and he also has a mild speech problem (mostly R combos) and confusing words. He says Barnes and Normal instead of Barnes and Noble or Occasional Therapy instead of Occupational Therapy. I was almost in tears when I read the part in this article about using similar sounding words! I know there isn't a cure for it but just knowing what we are dealing with makes it easier! We live in an area now that doesn't have Occupational Therapy for kids and the speech therapy at the school is HORRIBLE. I am going to call his doctor tomorrow about getting him on a more aggressive program! Thanks for the great information!

Comment from: sweety, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I have had dyslexia all my life and people at that time did not know about that so I was called stupid and many other things. Even now some people call me an ear head, and when I have to write or read anything it is very frustrating, so now I try to do things with my hands. It is very frustrating to read but I still try, but it feels like forever when I have to read. But I must say thanks to you all, I realize that I am not alone and it is not a disease that I have so people will stop feeling that they can catch it. But I still have a lot to be grateful for.

Comment from: Ottawa mom, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 31

With an inability to read, my daughter was diagnosed in grade 2, privately, because the school board's wait list LD (learning disability) assessment was 1.5 years. I had been informed I had dyslexia in university (after a terribly turbulent, full of cheating-to-get-by, grade school experience). My brother was screened by his employer while in his late 30s or early 40s. The good news is action can be taken (phonics and tricks to remember spelling such as 'to-get-her' for together) plus knowledge you aren't crazy or stupid-huge!

Comment from: Mohammad shis, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 10

My child makes mistakes in writing letters, i.e., b and d, p and 9, t as opposite. He also has a very poor handwriting and stands last in the class.

Comment from: Limey, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 07

Patient with dyslexia fails reading and math tests constantly.

Comment from: glenn, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 18

I have a 3 year old daughter who has difficulty expressing words. If she was able to say a word, most of the time a 2 syllable word, she interchanges the syllables. I'm wondering if this is also a symptom of having dyslexia.

Comment from: cliveb, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

My dyslexia is under control until I get tired. If I then send email, the next day I realize how badly the words have come out; misspelled and letters backwards, sometimes humorously so. Other times I end up having to make apologies. I was nearly through the first year of my degree in electrical engineering at a top university before I finally passed the high school English exam in my 3rd attempt.

Comment from: Elaine, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 24

I'm 36 years old and as a child I remember being given quick instructions that I need to act on and I usually did the opposite because of my dyslexia. I also have trouble expressing myself using words, and I have an extremely difficult time remembering exactly what people say. My friends don't understand me sometimes and when I try to explain to them, they think I just don't pay attention.

Comment from: jdengland79, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

I am almost 34 years old and as long as I can remember I've been dyslexic. I sometimes read and write or type things backwards and sometimes I do things backwards because it's comfortable to me. I can't spell and I never used to tell anyone that I was dyslexic. I was never told that it really is a pretty bad learning disability if you don't get help with it. The only weird thing is that I was really pretty good at mathematics. I can do a lot of it in my head.

Comment from: Jen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I'm 32 years old and was diagnosed with dyslexia at a young age. As a child, the treatment seemed mainly to focus on my reading, writing, etc. Unfortunately, my dyslexia is primarily auditory, and this can be very frustrating for me and others. When given quick instructions that I need to act on, I usually will do the opposite. I have trouble expressing myself using words, and I have an extremely difficult time remembering exactly what people say. I only remember the concepts of discussions. My friends don't understand when I try to explain to them; they think I just don't pay attention.

Comment from: Anything In There, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

With my dyslexia, I spell words correctly, just in reverse. I also have difficulty discerning the difference between “d” and “b.”

Comment from: Ajileye, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

With my dyslexia, I often say words I did not intend to say. For example, I'll mentally mean to have said "I went walking yesterday" when I meant today. Or I'll say "have you fed the cat?" when I meant to say "dog." This has been happening for more than 10 years (I am 45). The numerical confusion has been with me for longer, dating back to childhood. Needless to say, I was no good with arithmetic as a youngster, and although I am numerical now, I live in fear of making mathematical errors in my calculations.

Comment from: Concerned parent EC, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 06

My son has always had difficulties in reading and writing since Pre-K. I had taken him to his doctor for possibly having ADD. She had determined that my son did not have any problems. As the years went by my son still struggles with reading/comprehension and writing. My son is now in the 3rd grade and after speaking with his teacher my son is again struggling in writing his thought on paper. When reading he is adding words that are not there or making up his own words while reading. He still has problems with writing his "b" and "d". As well as "p" and "q". He changes the words "the" to "and" and "from or for" to "of". I have my son enrolled in Tutoring for reading and writing but still he is performing below grade level. His teacher is going to also help tutor him before school. I do not want to over whelm my son but I want to help him improve.

Comment from: backwards, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

After having my surgery for appendix removal, I was writing backwards, I was about 12 years old I don't know why that happened.

Comment from: rohan, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 06

The child finds it difficult to recognize the alphabets. Otherwise he is smart and fine, sings poetries and jingles and enjoys them.

Comment from: nina, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

I have dyslexia and I am very happy with it. Some things are hard but not impossible. My dyslexia has made me stronger in life and in the classroom. I have learned to take my weakness and turn it into strength.

Comment from: Orijins, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I'm 18, and I've always had dyslexia (all but one of the women in my mum's family have dyslexia, so she had me tested as soon as I started school), but it's been getting worse as I've gotten older. My worst ones are switching letters with numbers, b/p/d, and a/o/u/l (not sure where the l comes from). When I was little my mum made me read aloud every evening so I would get an idea of what my problem was. Trouble is, now I switch up whole words as well, because she taught me to read by recognizing words rather than letters! Dyslexia's not so bad, though, it was way worse when she was a kid. And it's always amusing when the teacher calls on me to read something aloud in class!

Comment from: deannac, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I was not diagnosed until I was 22. I failed 8th grade three times and finally quit. Looking back I cannot believe that the school system did not recognize me sleeping in class as a problem and try to address what was going on and why I was unable to pass. When I went to college is when I knew there was a problem. When I try to read after a few minutes the pages start to criss-cross and everything becomes distorted. Then after a few minutes of this, everything starts bouncing up and down, almost like my eyes are shaking only they are not. I can shake my head and it will stop it for a second and then it will continue. It only stops when I quit trying to concentrate on my reading. This is when I usually get exhausted and have to rest my eyes. If I do manage to get through a page by the time I get through the second I forgot what the first was about and have to go back. It doesn't seam to soak in. I find myself even as an adult I zone out a lot , and not intentionally. You can talk to me and I am there but my brain stops perceiving, like I am ignoring you but I am not . I don't know how to explain that. I have short term memory and forget things easily. I can forget with a few minutes what I had done. I am 38 and trying to deal with this and don't know how......as I said, it should have been addressed when I was a kid

Comment from: franklin330, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I have trouble following simple instructions through reading them or being given instructions orally. Being in the military, i have noticed that i have difficulty processing things when it is told orally. Writing is also a big problem for me, especially when I was in college. I had difficulty expressing myself in papers versus explaining in class.

Published: October 23

My son is seven. He has been struggling in school since he started. He writes numerous letters and numbers backwards, he will try to write a "b" up to as many as ten times and it still comes out a "d". I have talked to his teachers they tell me it is normal for that age but he hates school at 2nd grade. He is falling behind and we work for two hours a night on writing ten small words or ten math problems that he just can't get.I really need help he is so smart and artistic but it is so hard for him to struggle the way he does.

Comment from: concernedmom, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 25

My 8 year old daughter was just diagnosed with dyslexia. I noticed in the first grade that she was having trouble reading, spelling, writing, and doing math. The school would not test her, telling me it was too time consuming for them and they did not have the manpower to test her. My daughter would tell me she hated school, was stupid, and would shut down whenever it was time to take a test. She would also sometimes wonder around the classroom until the testing was done. I, like many, take for granted the fact that we read and comprehend in a normal way. Meghan is seeing things backwards, and out of order. I could not begin to imagine her frustration level when it came to reading, writing or spelling. Seeing the word "the" the right way and three words down having it all mixed up. She has trouble with letter sound, letter blends, and she transposes her numbers, making simple addition very hard for her. Now that we have found out that she is dyslexic, the school and I have come up with a good plan to help Meghan get up to grade level in all areas.

Comment from: Elizabeth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I found out I was dyslexic when I was in the fourth grade, and we were doing fractions. The numbers on the page started jumping around on the page. Ever since then, I have not been able to grasp any type of mathematical problem. I also spell very poorly and transpose numbers and letters often. I cannot follow map instructions or remember addresses because when I look at other numbers I completely forget the one I was looking for and the direction I was heading. If I look at something solid like carpet or a street, it looks like it is moving vertically or else one side stays still and one side moves. With numbers, they move horizontally. I force myself to read things over and over if I need to learn something. I can look right at words and they mean nothing. I look at them again later and sometimes I understand a little easier. I also memorize things that are important because I cannot trust what I see. I cannot read big screens because the lines cross over one another. I like to read little blocks of words like when books have two columns. I cannot read groups of letters. I have to block part of the numbers to be able to catch glimpses of small sets at a time.

Comment from: worried, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 13

My 3-and-a-half-year-old girl is learning to write her name, and sometimes she will right her name backwards. Sometimes she will try to write other letters, and they will come out backwards.

Comment from: mand33so0fly, 13-18 Female Published: November 13

I am unable to remember such things like math formulas, or even when they should be used. A lot of memorization problems, names, definitions, stories. I do not have trouble reading writing or speaking, but I do find myself out of focus and at many times completely disregarding and not hearing people when in deep imaginative thought. I have dramatic over thought and unspeakable topics such as constantly visualizing traumatic fatalities in everyday normal activities such as riding in a cab.

Comment from: Terryt4, 45-54 Female Published: November 13

I have always had a problem with numbers. I see them correctly, but say or type them backwards. If I take the time, I will catch it after I write it. I could not pass a simple 9th grade math test. I was told I was stupid, but graduated as and adult from college with a 3.95. I can write backwards as well as front.

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: November 13

I work with a gal who files alphabetically backwards. This involves putting names backwards. She also seems to have problems staying focused on tasks. Unlike what I have read about organization problems, she spends a lot of time keeping her office area as a whole very organized and clean but her work production level is low. She also talks fast at times and blurts out words of frustration. I wondered if this is adult dyslexia.

Comment from: Alicia, 25-34 Female Published: October 13

I have really hard time with my coordination. I always get my left and right body movements confused. I also write my letters and my ideas backwards at times. I usually have to reread and redo everything I do. Whenever I learn something the first time I always do it perfectly backwards please help me. Understand what is the problem?

Comment from: Alicia, 25-34 Female Published: October 13

Comment from: Hanna, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 13

My daughter's teacher has asked me to have her checked as she's never seen anything like it before. She'll spelling something wrong and then spell it wrong again but differently, using different letters and order of letters. It's different every time. She has always been a terrible speller. She's now in grade 8 and we want to help.

Comment from: dawns, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 13

My daughter is now 7 years old and she still writes her numbers backwards along with certain letters. If she takes her time she usually writes them properly, but if she is rushed she does everything backwards.

Comment from: Michelle, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 06

My son is 6 years old and has had difficulty with writing. He was writing some of his letters and numbers backwards, now he is writing numbers 1, 2, 3, 5 and 9 backwards, he seems to be okay with his letters. He gets very frustrated when he has to correct his numbers, but is able to do so when it is pointed out that they are backwards. Is this a sign that he is dyslexic? He is super smart, has an incredible vocabulary and has since he was a toddler. He is a great athlete, has no problem with coordination. He is also ambidextrous and uses both hands equally to write and color.

Comment from: dboss, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 06

My daughter is in year 2 only just turned 6 in August, but struggling with reading. She is fine on one line sentences but struggles with same words when on 2 or more lines. She will spell out words such as get but say help, with the word we she will say letters then say where or here. I wasn't sure weather this was a sign of dyslexia please let me know.

Comment from: virginia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I am 43 years old with some hearing loss that requires wearing hearing aids. I have no problem spelling and I am a very fast reader. Some of my job duties require writing code numbers as someone calls them out to me. I have noticed in the past year that I am writing the numbers in wrong order an example would be 87, 78. It is very frustrating. I have never had problems before. I don't know if it is my hearing loss or the numbers being called out so fast and to many distractions or the speaker going to fast.

Comment from: Krisfed, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I have a seven year old who is in first grade. He has trouble with sounds and reading. He was held back in kindergarten because the teacher thought he was a late learner. My son is now in first grade and has been back in school for three weeks now. His teacher called to tell me she believes my son Brandon has dyslexia and wants to work with him to make sure. She took a course for teaching dyslexia. My son wants to learn so badly and gets so frustrated when he can't that he comes home with migraines.

Comment from: Concerned oldie, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 06

I have a 10 year old grandson who reads well and has had a large vocabulary, but has great difficulty with spelling. He appears uncoordinated and is not good at sports. His teacher does not appear to be troubled by these difficulties, but at ten I would have thought the school would have provided some sort of help by now.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Children's Health & Parenting Newsletter