Patient Comments: Dupuytren's Contracture - Treatments

What types of treatment, including injections, have helped with Dupuytren's contracture in you or a loved one? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Bella, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I've had Dupuytren's contracture for almost 4 years. I have extensive contracture but have managed to prevent any reduction in movement or function by continually stretching my fingers. I had shock wave therapy on it but this made no difference. I will try the E45 cream option that I've read about but I feel stretching is the way to prevent the actual contracture from occurring.

Comment from: larry, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 19

I have Dupuytren's contracture and in the process of treatment which is the injection. I was injected, two days later the doctor stretched the finger or fingers so they snap which is the knot that breaks from the medicine injected two days previously, then, a brace for sleeping to keep the fingers straight. I had to wear the brace for months. It is not the greatest treatment as in my situation it came back.

Comment from: Mark Hardy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 27

I was diagnosed a month ago with Dupuytren's contracture of the middle finger of my left hand. I was unable to straighten the finger and it ached at times. Having read an article that said acupuncture may help, I duly booked an appointment and after two treatments I now have full movement of my fingers. The acupuncturist inserted needles by the affected tendon and passed a small electrical current through. It felt strange but not painful. There are still lumps in the palm of my hand but they are reducing in size. I have one more appointment next week and then it will depend on my hand. I did catch the condition early but I am delighted with the results, having been told by my general physician that nothing could be done.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I was diagnosed with Dupuytren's contracture about five years ago. My father had it so I must have inherited the gene. I had surgery three years ago and the doctor told me it would probably never come back in my lifetime but my pinkie is worse now than it was before the surgery. I have been told that a second surgery is more risky and not recommended so I am looking for alternative treatments. I still think there might be some scar tissue left over from my surgery that is aggravating the problem but not sure. I am going to try the bio oil and see if that helps. Thank you for the tip. And, I might try acupuncture if all else fails.

Comment from: Nigel, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I am 79. I was diagnosed with Dupuytren's contracture 3 years ago and saw an orthopedic surgeon who measured the degree of contracture before telling me to return in 6 months. Several months later I accidentally straightened the affected finger (4th on the right hand) when closing the hatch back on a friend's car. I pulled down the hatch back with my fingers in the cavity intended for the purpose. It required some effort initially but once past the horizontal, went with a rush and as I was unable to extract my fingers quickly enough they were forcefully bent backwards. The pain was excruciating and I thought I had broken them, but happily that was not the case and the affected finger had more or less straightened out! I am now developing the same condition in the left hand, and now know the cheapest way to fix it but I doubt I would be brave enough to do it deliberately!

Comment from: Jim , 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 09

My hand hurts. I always see no pain related to Dupuytren's contracture, I have it real bad and it affects 4 fingers and sometimes the pain is unbearable. I had shots but they didn't work, and surgery makes no sense because it comes back, and then you have to deal with scar tissue on top of this.

Comment from: Richard, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

No treatment was successful for my Dupuytren's contracture. I had five surgeries over 20 years and, ultimately, Xiaflex injections (extremely painful procedures). Until the etiology of this disease is established, surgeons only treat the symptoms and not the underlying cause.

Comment from: Liz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I've had great success with my Dupuytren's contracture massaging in Bio Oil for 5 minutes or so at night. When my scar tightened and puckered so much it was causing pain especially on flattening my hand I started rubbing in Bio Oil. It was nightly but now only weekly. The pain and tightening goes almost straight away. I believe it works by breaking down the excess collagen or at least making it suppler. It's been a huge relief for me as my hand still works well without any pain. I'd love to hear of others' experience with this.

Comment from: BOISE, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

I have had a total 5 surgeries for Dupuytren's contracture in my two hands. Each of the surgeries was successful, obtaining full use, and healed up as expected. I have never had pain or itching, just lack of full use of the affected finger. There is no cure nor no known cause. My doctor said it is thought to most frequently appear in those individual that have an ancestry into the Slavic area of Europe. Do your homework and make sure you get a well-qualified hand surgeon.

Comment from: Linny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I'm 54, I've had Dupuytren's contracture on my hand going towards my little finger, for years. When I feel it tightening up and the 2 bumps get sore I rub Bio-Oil a (scar reducing oil) on it at night. Almost straight away the pain goes and by the next morning I can fully stretch again without pain even when pressing the lumps. Sometimes I might do this 3 nights in a row other times once a week, usually only when I am conscious of pain during the day. It really is amazing and makes this annoying pain go away and keeps my hand supple. Please ask people to try this simple remedy.

Comment from: Sandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

My doctor sent me to a physiotherapist for exercises for Dupuytren"s contracture I could learn that might stave it off for a while because I can"t afford to give up work yet. The physiotherapist saw me 5 times. She massaged the lump that had grown from the top of the palm to the first knuckle on my little finger and that hurt. She stretched it out and back and I felt it up to my elbow, which is where the tendon is connected to she said. Then she made up a splint to use at night so I wouldn"t sleep with my hand all curled up. She told me to massage and stretch it every hour if I could (which I don"t). She said to use heat packs to soften/loosen it up as well when I massage it. After a hot shower is a good time to massage while it"s more flexible. There is a noticeable decrease in the size of the lump now and my finger is definitely not as contracted as it was.

Comment from: marquex, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have Dupuytren's contracture in both hands and have had 2 surgeries. I was advised to put the surgery off as long as possible, which I did, but obviously too long. I had the first surgery by plastic surgeon that left my hand, ring and little finger very thickly scarred. Then about 4 years later I had the 2nd surgery on the same place and it went better; not as much hard-ridge scarring. But my fingers want to be pulled to the palm more than straight. The left hand is now very lumpy and you can see the cords pulling in different ways. I have thought of the injections but hear of expense and pain. I would like to know of the natural medicines someone wrote about on this sire. I am a true believer in alternative medicine.

Comment from: Coleridge, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

I am a male seventy two years of age and developed Dupuytren's around the age of forty. Since then I have had six operations including plastic surgery. My fingers are now severely deformed and thank goodness that had I been a musician or had a similar profession where the loss of employment would be a concerning issue. Recently I was diagnosed with a life threatening condition and decided to opt for natural medicine as an alternative to conventional medical procedure. The astonishing side effect or unintentional consequence was that after only four weeks of taking natural medicine the small nodules that were in three positions on separate fingers totally disappeared and a large lump that was deforming another finger and was due for surgery has reduced by approximately 50%. I have always been a severe skeptic of natural medicine but this experience has shed an entirely new light on this often ridiculed form of treatment. My advice is open your mind to alternative forms of treatment.

Comment from: Hilda, Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I believe that Dupuytren's contracture is caused by blocked energy and we are all energy. I started doing Tai Chi and Qi Gong and started a vegan diet which is the highest energy food for nourishing our bodies. I no longer have pain and the lump in my hand has disappeared to the amazement of my massage therapist who initially noticed it, and my doctor who had absolutely no suggestions for a cure.

Comment from: ike, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

For Dupuytren's contracture I had surgery on my little finger in the right hand 10 years ago and surgery on the left middle finger 2 years ago. My little finger on my right hand started bending again, this time went with Xiaflex procedure couple of days ago.

Comment from: tbsmith, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

I am male, 61 years old, right handed, and of northern European descent. A few years ago, my mother who is now 90 told me her doctor diagnosed her with Dupuytren's contracture. She has nodules, and restricted motion, but nothing severe. I went to a hand surgeon for the bumps on my right hand and he diagnosed it as Dupuytren's contracture. I can lay my right hand flat on a table, but cannot bend fingers backwards, like I can with my left. I am lucky so far that there is no pain. I am extremely healthy, athletic and do heavy weightlifting/bodybuilding. The doctor said weightlifting shouldn't aggravate it. I've read on other sites that vibration can aggravate it (e.g. using an electric sander) so I try to avoid that now. But I've also read that stretching could make it worse, which contradicts what many have experienced here. Sure hope they can figure out what causes this.

Comment from: missdee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I sure would like to know what the alternative medicines were that the gentleman from Coleridge used for his life threatening condition that ended up improving his Dupuytren's contracture issues. Please do let us know if you return to this site.

Comment from: Tomboy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I have Dupuytren's. I had surgery but it has worsened. I was wondering what natural medicines could help.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter