Patient Comments: Dupuytren's Contracture - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with Dupuytren's contracture? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: joeysgal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I was just diagnosed with Dupuytren's contracture yesterday by my hand surgeon that I have dealt with and trust all these years. I had had surgery two and a half years ago to correct a severed nerve in my hand that tried and failed to grow back correctly. The scar was always a bit tender, but over the past six months my hand started to throb more and more to the point where I knew I had to have it looked at. I am a practice manager and do spend a lot of time keyboarding, etc. I also enjoy going to yoga at the building I work in. I found that the yoga aggravated my hand to the point that I had to stop specific poses. I have now been told that I should try to go as long as possible before the inevitable surgery I would need. My three fingers on my left hand feel stiff and I try to keep flexing them. I have found my ability to maneuver or hold items are not as easy, and I really need to find a way to take down the pain and protect my hand. My doctor has told me no trauma, vibration and no trying to overstretch my hand. Cortisone injections would give very temporary relief so I need to find a natural way to ease and protect my hand. I believe acupuncture is out of the question, and I'm also type one diabetic.

Comment from: Bill50, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

I had surgery for Dupuytren's contracture on my hand several weeks ago. My pinky finger was bent down almost to my palm. Ring finger was bent 90 degrees. Surgery was painless since I was asleep the whole time. I am still going to physiotherapist twice a week. I am trying to teach my hand how to grasp and make a fist. Lots of scar tissue is making recovery hard. I had the symptoms for several years without any pain. I just got tired of only having 3 useable fingers on my hand. I will update this when my hand returns to normal.

Comment from: Ann, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I had surgery on my left hand (ring finger) in 2012 for Dupuytren's' contracture. I thought I had been stuck by a catfish barb 2 or 3 years before. I got along really good and have no recurrence on left hand. I now have right hand with this disease. It is very painful, I have had injections with no relief. I have pain while driving when I hold the steering wheel. I am going to get surgery in the fall when temperature is cooler.

Comment from: Annie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I had Dupuytren's contracture on left hand 3 years ago. It started with a place that looked as if a catfish had finned me. It got worse and pain was almost unbearable. I finally had it operated on and thank goodness I did! I had physiotherapy (PT) but have got along very well. Now I have the contracture on the right hand and it is very painful. I will wait until winter time to have it operated on; the brace which is fitted to you is too hot for summer. I got along very well with surgery and PT. I hope you get along good also!

Comment from: Ben, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I have the beginnings of Dupuytren's contracture in both hands with obvious lumps and pits. I have pestered my doctor and I am back to fracture clinic to start the investigative process again, and hope this time I will be taken seriously. As it is my fingers, except thumb and forefinger, all bend towards palm. At rest my hand is claw like. All I can hope for I suppose is that it doesn't get worse as the cords start to make an appearance, and perhaps injections could halt its progression and give me back normal hands. I am only 34, it started out of the blue in late 2012.

Comment from: Sheila101, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

Approximately 14 months ago, I was cleaning my greasy frying pan by putting water in and boiling. I got sidetracked and when I remembered my pan it had only 1 to 2 inches of water left and I rushed to pour it down my disposal. Anyway, I splashed the water - oil mixture on my middle finger and ring finger. And I had to go to burn unit and the doctors said I needed a skin graft from my thigh and fixed me up; I was there for 4 days. About 4 months later, I noticed lumps on the base of these two fingers and wonder if they are symptoms of Dupuytren's contracture.

Comment from: Thargraves, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I had surgery to remove a brain tumor on the right side of my brain. After surgery, I was unable to move anything on the left side of my body. Once I was transferred to inpatient physical therapy, I regained movement in most of my left side but I had a condition in my left hand my therapist called 'alien hand syndrome' where I had a claw-like reflex in my left hand that would grab anything that got too close to it and have to be forced to let go. I had no control over it. I can walk again with a walker but have very bad balance sometimes. One time, in the middle of the night, I was walking down the hall to go the restroom too fast and I fell and broke my left hand on the outer edge of my pinky finger. My hand was finally recovering but it was splinter with my ring finger and pinky finger taped together in a slightly curved position which made my hand start to try and grip onto the splint. I now have a hard time straightening those fingers and can longer straighten out my hand. My therapist has shown me stretching exercises to help the Dupuytren's contracture but they aren't helping very much. I'm probably going to make an appointment with an orthopedic doctor to see if I have any other treatment options. I will be happy to update after with the final solution and results.

Comment from: contracture devlops, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 22

My Dupuytren's contracture developed due to burning with hot tea. I have on my neck like a contracture like a rod 2 inches long.

Comment from: Mr. Gibson in WI, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

I've had corrective surgeries for Dupuytren's contracture on both hands, twice on the left and once on the right. All three surgical corrections lasted about two years, then the curling of the fingers resumed. No relief in sight. It appears the surgeries exacerbated the contractions in my other fingers from my little finger through my thumbs, making it difficult to hold a glass of water. I am seeking mechanical aids. Finding it difficult to clean up after going to the toilet. Doctor says it may affect my feet or anywhere else tendons occur in the body. Hoping for the best, expecting a little less.

Comment from: Scots03deuce, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 09

I first developed Dupuytren's contracture in my early 20s. It got quite severe in my left hand and I had surgery. By the time I was in my mid 50s it was full blown in both hands and my knuckles on my left hand as well as a large nodule in the arch of my right foot. I have now had 10 surgical procedures on my hands and right foot as well as carpal tunnel surgery on both hands, severe carpal tunnel! Within 2 months of all my surgeries, it all came back now on my right knuckles as well. Now it appears to be developing in my left foot. It grows in me like a weed. To have all these surgeries and have it develop so rapidly is very rare especially on the knuckles. I can only close my left hand half way and I am left handed. It is annoying and painful. It is prevalent in people of Scotch Irish descent who work excessively with their hands. I have been a fabricator and machinist most of my life and can no longer do these things. My father had it fairly severe in both hands but he passed when I was 8 years old.

Comment from: WrongDiagnosis?, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I was diagnosed with Dupuytren's contracture two years ago. I had broken a bone in my hand and after having the cast removed I had a bump at the point of the break. I thought it was a bone that had not healed properly but was told it was scar tissue and the beginning of Dupuytren's contracture. The 'scar' tissue has increased and is, indeed, pulling my fingers in toward my palm. My specialist will offer no treatment and says to wait until the collagen-type injection is approved here. I have read that the collagen substance is non-specific and can go into other areas and dissolve tissue (i.e. tendons). I have no interest in having that kind of therapy. I am an active, athletic person and want to stay that way. As far as I can see there is still no really good option on the horizon.

Comment from: jstkd4, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have Dupuytren's in both hands. The problem I have is that I have a lot of pain in both hands. The knuckles on my index finger and my thumb are very painful. I can't actually bend my index fingers. They stay straight while the other three fingers of my hand want to bend. My doctor just says there is nothing to do. I am not convinced that the knuckle pain is from Dupuytren's.

Comment from: Nancy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I'm 73, and first noticed a thickening in the palm of my left hand. Much to my surprise, when massaging the spot hard, it changed in form over several months. I didn't know it was the start of Dupuytren's contractures. In November of 2012, I noticed “clicking” in my fingers, and actually heard it, especially in the middle finger of my left hand and second finger of my right hand. This changed after several days, and I ended up having trouble bending those fingers. It was worse in the morning and I 'd try to remember to go to sleep with my hands open to avoid that. With a hot morning bath, I could limber up the fingers and not notice it during the day. Now I have some pain, especially in the right finger, and I no longer can straighten it out because I have too much pain in my knuckle. It has a slight, permanently bent look. Sometimes when my left hand finger gets folded, I can't open it, and then I can. I can see the possibility of this happening as it progresses. A nurse friend has the same condition and she gave me the name for it, as I knew it was different than my aunt's severe arthritis with deformed feet and hands. My dad has this condition in one finger and never knew what it was--that generation didn't talk much about those kinds of things.

Comment from: Fern, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

I had an operation on my right hand for Dupuytren"s contracture about 8 years ago. The surgeon removed a significant amount of scar tissue in the process. Yes, it takes a while to recover and yes, you have loss of feeling in the hand. I would describe the feeling as similar to having a piece of leather embedded in your hand. It takes 6 months to a year regain full use of the hand. However, eight years later, my hand is still fully functional and there is no sign of new scarring. I would say that I am satisfied with the result.

Comment from: max, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I have had Dupuytren's in both hands now. I researched when I got it and convinced my radiologist to do radiation on first the right and then later the left palm. He agreed and I got some relief and a sort of "softening" of the nodules after. Now I have developed a trigger finger in the left hand almost 2 years after the radiation and will be seeing a hand specialist next. Getting the radiation early on when just the nodules appear is a great non-invasive treatment.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter