Patient Comments: Dupuytren's Contracture - Experience

Please describe your experience with Dupuytren's contracture. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Jenny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I had hand (left) surgery in 2000 and 6 months later at a checkup with the specialist he told me I had developed Dupuytren's contracture. I now have it in my right hand after having surgery. The specialist said that having surgery put trauma to the hand and it brought out Dupuytren's. I guess I am lucky that I don't have a lot of problems yet, occasionally my ring finger on the right hand will lock up when crocheting. The specialist did say it was hereditary.

Comment from: EMS, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I have had continuous urinary tract infections for the past 2 years. My urologist, gynecologist and primary physician have all given me antibiotics on a continual basis. Once I finish a schedule of antibiotics, the next day, a new urinary tract infection symptoms begin. I am looking for any doctor who can help me get to the cause. So far, no cause has been found. I am afraid that I am taking too much antibiotic medicine.

Comment from: Gerry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 15

I have had both hands done with the use of Xiaflex for Dupuytren's contracture, the first one (right) at the end of January 2017, and the left done today (May 12, 2017). If the results achieved with the right hand are close to the expected results of my left hand, I'll be a happy man. I play guitar (left handed) and playing helped abate the symptoms (only the ring finger was affected) but it progressed to a point where the ring finger was of no use, so I made the decision to have the procedure. Within four days I was back to playing with a fully functional ring finger. There was no rehabilitation necessary other than wearing a small splint on the finger for about six weeks, but only when I slept. The full procedure involve about 10 days from start to finish, with injections on day one, manipulation on day eight and a couple of days for the soreness to go away. The most painful part was when the doctor injected the hand with Novocain to numb the hand before each session.

Comment from: Shane, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I had Dupuytren's contracture in the left hand. I investigated radiation treatment which I had read about on the internet as a new trial type of early treatment. My hand is now normal with a softening of the scar area, I can still feel the area however the contracture stopped. I would recommend this treatment as it worked for me.

Comment from: bluedog, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

I am 63 and 5 years ago I developed Dupuytren's contracture which made playing my guitar and piano almost impossible. I kept working on my finger position and eventually I was able to use the pinkie again. It is still not as limber as it was but far better than when it first started. About the same time I started having lumps in the arches of my feet that hurt badly. I was walking a lot and figured that was causing the problems. I saw 3 different doctors and had 3 different diagnoses, all ended up giving me cortisone shots. Now, I self-massage my feet before going to sleep and when I wake up in the morning. Two years ago I had to have a stent and started taking beta blockers and 1 year ago I was diagnosed with Peyronie's disease. I have to wait till I can get off the blood thinners before I can try the Xiaflex shots; not looking forward to it. If anyone has had experience with Xiaflex shots please post your comments for us that are about to begin so we know if it would be worth it.

Comment from: Pelrod, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 25

I have had Dupuytren's contracture for more than twenty years. I have had the surgery done on a finger and the needle procedure (France) done on other fingers. About a year ago, for another condition I started taking vitamin D3 (4 to 6 thousand IUs) daily. Since that time my active Dupuytren's has apparently not only stopped growing but has softened a bit. Particularly noticeable is the one on my right hand (thumb) which was becoming bothersome, not formed contracture as yet, but was hard and a bit painful to press on. It has been reduced in size and is not nearly as hard as before. I fully realize that this is not a scientific study, and my results were totally unexpected. I cannot know for sure that the D3 was the reason for the Dupuytren's halting growth and to reverse a bit, it might have been a coincidence; but maybe not. D3 is both very safe and reasonably inexpensive. Why not try it!

Comment from: Beth, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 27

My husband is 46 years old and has recently been experiencing pain in his hands. I am an occupational therapist and was able to identify the onset of Dupuytren's contracture and immediately sent him to an orthopedic upper extremity specialist. He told him what I already knew, nothing can really be done at this stage. My husband is an avid guitar player and was so upset he began researching. For the last 30 years doctors in Europe have been using low dose radiotherapy with really good results. This treatment is only available to people in the early stages of Dupuytren's with no more than a 5 degree loss of range of motion. The treatment has been available in the United States for at least 5 years and we were able to find a local radiation oncologist who does the treatment. Our orthopedic surgeon is excellent, but radiation is not in his scope of practice and the information is not widely publicized, so I wanted to make everyone aware. The Dupuytren-online.info has more information.

Comment from: Balkandeputy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 26

I've had Dupuytren's contracture in my right hand between my thumb and first finger for over 10 years. I can feel the cord, but as of yet my hand has not had any closing problems. Now the same can be felt in the same location on my left hand. My major problem now for the last 5 months is I seem to have developed Peyronie's disease. I was about to bring a medical malpractice suit against my urologist since I first believed it was a result of 2 bladder operations to cauterize an ulcer. I now see that this disease can be associated with having Dupuytren's contracture.

Comment from: Bruce D, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

I am 65 and have experienced Dupuytren's contracture for over 20 years, first in my right hand and now in my left. Both my grandfather and father (Irish ancestry) had it in one hand. With regular stretching the right hand symptoms have all but disappeared. The same exercises have seemed to slow or stop progress in the left hand. The last time I saw a surgeon he told me that he had never seen or heard of the contracture being reversed through anything less than surgery.

Comment from: houshang, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I am a 65 year old male. I have Dupuytren's contracture in both my hands. I recently purchased a rubber ball, same size as a golf ball and for about one hour a day squeeze it in my hands. It helped a lot to make my hands more flexible. I wonder if this disease has anything to do with diabetes because I have type two but is controlled.

Comment from: RealtorSherry, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

At 49 I was diagnosed with Dupuytren's contracture. I was recovering from a wrist fracture and ligament tear. My hand between my pointer finger and thumb is chorded and pulling on my thumb. I thought it was from wearing the cast and brace. Doctor said it was likely there previously and I did not notice until now. He said there is nothing much I can do to remedy the immobility and arthritis. He gave me two shots of cortisone to aid in the pain in my thumb joint. I am looking for any relief online.

Comment from: bowzer, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I had both hands operated on by an orthopedic surgeon for Dupuytren's contracture, the left hand first, then the right hand. Then it came back to the left hand and I had it operated on again. Now right hand is to the point of needing surgery again.

Comment from: Buggs, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

I have suffered with Dupuytren's contracture in both hands since my late 20s. I had corrective surgery on three separate occasions on both hands and finally resorted to amputation of both little fingers. This final operation was the only one to be successful in both cases. No recurrence of the disease. I no longer poke myself in the eyes with bent pinkies.

Comment from: Jaclynn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I am 60 and have had this Dupuytren's contracture starting about 15 years ago. Very aggravating! First I went to an orthopedic group and was told to wait until my little finger tried to poke my eye out when applying my war paint. I was impatient. I tried the injections. I cried through the whole procedure. That was ok if it worked. It did not. Six months later, uh yeah, same old thing. Then, I found a doctor who did an incision in my palm. Yes, recovery is not fun but not that bad. He will fix my other hand in 5 days and fix the arteritis in my thumb at the same time. No fun but when he is thorough with me, I will have minimal scars and won't stick my pinkie in my nose when I put my war paint on. Thank you doctor!

Comment from: nana-2-2, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am 57 and have recently been diagnosed with Dupuytren's contracture although I have had nodules in both hands for at least 2 years. The ones in my right hand have gotten worse and recently, I have noticed a thickening in the palm and my pinkie remains bent at the first joint a small amount. So far, the nodules are not painful, just annoying.

Comment from: Umalapuma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I am 65 years old. My father had Dupuytren's contracture that was severe and required surgery. He was a railroad switch man and used his hands to pull the switches. I noticed the bump on my left palm below my ring finger several years ago. Interestingly I also have a thickening on the tendons on the soles of both feet. Based on the information I read today, it sounds like I have Ledderhose's disease as well. Both of my sisters and my brother have the same bumps on their hands. They do not have any other symptoms, yet. I like to do weight training and think this might eventually aggravate the problems. I have recently noticed nerve tingling in my ring and pinkie finger. After reading information on this website, I am going to seek further medical evaluation!

Comment from: StilllYoung, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I injured my left hand 4 years ago. Later a hard nodule developed in my palm. About 6 months ago I started waking up with pain in the knuckles of my left hand. Last night I looked at my left hand and realized that the palm couldn't be flattened and that my middle and ring fingers were pulled in. The tendon of the ring finger feels thickened. Since my dad has Dupuytren's contracture and had surgery to mostly straighten his fingers it is a good chance that is what I have even though I am a woman under 50. Although it may be related to the injury. I am calling my doctor on Monday to get diagnosed and start treatment if I can because I don't want to have a useless, deformed hand.

Comment from: BK, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 09

I am now 77. My Dupuytren's contracture appeared as bumps on top of fingers in both hands, when I was around 55. The condition progressed to curled ring fingers and cords everywhere. In the past three years I've had the needle treatment known as aponeurotomy. It was near painless and somewhat successful. Unfortunately the conditions reappeared with a vengeance. I have no pain but the curled fingers are more of a nuisance. There are worse things at this age.

Comment from: BadgerBob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 27

I'm an active 63 year old male of Eastern European descent who has Dupuytren's contracture at the base of the little finger on my left hand. For the past three years the condition has hindered what for me were normal activities such as dribbling a basketball, catching a baseball and doing push-ups and yoga, when it involved that hand. I'm an editor by profession, and my typing speed and accuracy have also suffered as a result. Interestingly, the condition seems to not have worsened the past nine months or so. It's still painful, though, and I'm planning to seek treatment.

Comment from: Theimler, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

I have had Dupuytren's contracture in my hands and feet for a number of years now and I am only 37. I first noticed it in my left foot when I was about 25 years old. Left my foot alone but I have had 2 surgeries on each hand in the last 10 years and am very happy. Funny enough I am finally going in tomorrow for my foot. Will let you know how it goes.

Comment from: Marc, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

What I took for calluses, was the Dupuytren's contracture. After discussing the alternatives, my acupuncturist thought 'blue light' might work as well as pins. Blue light worked better. I don't know how it works, but I am 80 percent free of it after 10 or so treatments. I do not know if it will go away permanently or if this is a temporary relief. To me, it doesn't matter.

Comment from: Diane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I have developed small hard lumps in both hands under the ring finger after having carpal tunnel operations on both hands. I returned to my surgeon who diagnosed Dupuytren's contracture. My hands constantly ache but not sure if this is due to slow carpal tunnel recovery or my new problem. Carpal operations were 12 months and 9 months ago, not happy!

Comment from: Greamy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I have Dupuytren's contracture in both hands, presently only the left pinky finger is affected. I have had two Xiaflex procedures, one year apart. My last procedure was not as successful as the first a year ago. My finger is not straight, and I agree the procedure is not a picnic. I get through the treatment, but it is not fun. Wish the procedure would get you through a longer period before the contracture begins. My paternal grandmother had Dupuytren's, but she never knew what it was. Her hands were totally contracted and severely handicapped her use of her hands. She and everyone else thought she had arthritis. She was of a European decent.

Comment from: Larry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

I am male, 64 years old, I have Dupuytren's in both hands and both feet, and I am miserable. I have had 7 surgeries including two amputations and it's only getting worse. My toes can't bend as easy as my fingers do, so they twist. I am walking on the side of my toes plus I have several big lumps on the bottom of my feet. The main problem I'm having getting treatment is, I have insurance but they don't have a clue what Dupuytren's is. All they want to do is keep operating and trying to put me in corrective shoes. When I first got the symptoms, sore bent pinky finger, I was only 18 years old, I didn't smoke or drink and was in good shape. I am blond with Scotch-Irish descent but no one in my family tree ever had Dupuytren's.

Comment from: kb, Male (Patient) Published: July 14

I am 52 years old, and have been battling Dupuytren's contracture since I was 29. I first had symptoms on my left foot. This affected the ball of my foot. I had surgery to remove the tissue. This was a relatively long recovery, but although I have some scarring, I have good function. About ten years later I developed issues with my small finger of my left hand. I had surgery, but the symptoms quickly returned. My finger is bent at more than 90 degrees. I will eventually have this finger amputated. About five years ago I developed similar issues with my ring finger and palm of my right hand. I have had needle surgery, and six treatments of Xiaflex. The procedure lasts about 6 months and it returns. Last treatment was in April 2014, and my finger and palm are already severely affected. I'm considering full surgery on hand but have been told I will need at least three months to rehabilitate. I hesitate to have this done based on how fast my symptoms have returned. Both of my parents are afflicted, but to a far lesser extent. Gene therapy may be the answer some day.

Comment from: Linny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I'm 54 and my dad had an operation for Dupuytren's contracture. I have 2 nodules on my right palm and tightening to my left little finger. Sometimes I'm aware of pain when laying my hand flat or even doing not much and sometimes the lumps are very sensitive to touch. Then at night I massage for a couple of minutes rubbing in Bio-Oil, a cheap oil used on scars. After about 2 minutes there is no pain on touching or stretching. I need to overextend flat palm to get any pain and feeling of over stretching back. Otherwise no pain and fully flexible. Sometimes I do this once a week, other times 3 nights in a row. Coconut Oil wasn't as successful. Even though I'm thrilled with this, would also love to know what natural cure that 72 year old took. I feel I got this from using a spade on our very hard soil.

Comment from: lou, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 22

I am 66 and have had Dupuytren"s contracture for several years in both hands. My little and ring fingers are badly disfigured. Two fixes are available, shot and/or surgery. I am told both are painful. I have several bumps on both hands which do not seem to be connected to the 4 fingers involved. Will I be faced with treatment each time one of these bumps goes up another finger! The doctor said shot will not remove bumps. The bumps have gotten so large they impede movement. Sounds like I should just get used to the pain. I have other neurological issues that impact hand eye coordination. It looks like a 2 year old was sitting at our table when eating out. There is food everywhere. Getting old can be painful and embarrassing but it is much better than the alternative.

Comment from: bentfingers, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I have Dupuytren"s in my right hand. I first noticed it about 5 years ago, my pinky started to bend in toward my palm. At first I thought I just had callus on the inside of my palm. I went to my health provider and my doctor diagnosed Dupuytren"s contracture. So now I have to see what options are available... since there is no cure my options are limited to either the injections or surgery.

Comment from: Oregon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have Dupuytren's in both hands. There is no family history of it. It hurts and I feel more needs to be said and researched on this ugly disease. I was lucky enough to find a doctor who first gave me enzyme injections and then I was able to find an oncologist radiologist to provide me with radiation treatment. I had to fight for 4 months to get doctors to listen to me but I finally got help. You have to get this in the very early stage or it won't help. My fingers are straight, the severe pulling is gone. How long will it last? No one knows, but if you get a few months with use of your hands it beats what life is like without the use of our fingers. I was told by the orthopedist to sit and look at my hands and call her when they got worse, so she could do surgery. Surgery is a last resort, I for one do not want to live without the use of my fingers. Dupuytren's is not curable (yet) but maybe we can put it in remission early on.

Comment from: dustyguy, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 29

I ride an electric bike and I have to keep my thumb on the throttle. I noticed my hands would be numb from pressure of my weight and loss of blood flow. My right hand ring finger began to lock up on me when I made a fist and I had to pull it straight with my other hand. My middle finger also started locking up in the curled position. I went to a hand doctor. He shot some cortisone in my ring finger. He said if it didn't help, he would have to operate. First thing, I got a new bike so I didn't put so much weight on my hands while riding. I started stretching my fingers and exercising them gently until after a few weeks, I could close my hand into a full fist. They still are tender and still lock up sometimes but are doing much better. I don't know if I have Dupuytren's contracture but I have/had the symptoms, and gentle flexing, change of bikes and stretching my fingers until they pop are helping. Blood supply may have been my main problem. I don't know. Have fun.

Comment from: rewindpaul, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 03

I've had Dupuytren's contracture now for at least 15 years, but was told to wait for any surgery for as long as I could hold out. I now have noticed a loss of circulation and a tingling in my fingers. So I guess I need to take measures to fix the problem before I do further damage to my hands.

Comment from: alfredf., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 08

I am a 57 year old male and I have this dreadful disease. I noticed my Dupuytren's contracture about 7 years back but it got worse in the last 2 years. I am a lead guitar player and my hands hurt so much that it is hard to play. I love playing my guitar as much as I need food; you can see why it is bothersome.

Comment from: boosford, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I myself have had Dupuytren's contracture for about 7 years now and l wanted to know if anyone has the same feeling in their hands as me. I find that my hands sometimes feel like they are on fire, this is painful, and no one feels the same, there is difference in each story. I haven't read or heard anyone else say that they get this feeling as well.

Comment from: Just diagnosed, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

This disease Dupuytren"s contracture is not painless. My hands ache so much that I am popping pain medications as often as I can and rubbing an anti-inflammatory cream on them. It only takes the edge off. People who have it will tell you. The Facebook group will tell you of the aching and itching.

Comment from: Inder, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

I got Dupuytren's contracture in my right hand with my stroke 3 years back. I recovered fully from the stroke except this little issue. Fortunately, I can live with it unless it deteriorates further.

Comment from: sissylala, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I have had Dupuytren"s contracture for over 13 years. I have had 5 surgeries on 2 hands. It only goes away for a little while. I am now facing more surgery as 2 of my fingers are losing circulation. It started in my 30s. I am a woman in my 50s and may lose my finger. When I first saw it I thought it was a cyst; wrong!

Comment from: Gary M, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

Finally had someone identify this interesting configuration in my hands as Dupuytren"s contracture. I have no symptoms to date. My hands stretch out flat. I did feel my hands got wider when I pole vaulted in high school. I just noticed a swelling between the left pinky and ring finger, also more of an indentation directly below the last joint in the pinky. I am spooked and don"t know what to expect.

Comment from: Lefty, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I have had Dupuytren's contracture for approximately 10 years. I can't actually pinpoint when it started. I've had the injection on my right index finger in August and to date am doing fine. It was a very painful procedure. In September I was injected between the 2 middle fingers and it didn't work. I'm also having problems with my left hand.

Comment from: stlbarbiepooh, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I had the injections for Dupuytren's contracture and the pain was unbearable. The contraction was back within a year. I will never do that again.

Comment from: fighter, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 22

I've had this condition in both hands and it was corrected by a plastic surgeon. It takes about 8 weeks to recover fully. I am extremely happy with my choice.

Comment from: Hickster, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I've had Dupuytren's contracture for about 6 years now. I find that constant stretching has kept my fingers straight. I was diagnosed about 6 months after carpal tunnel surgery on both hands. Now, I've developed arthritis in my fingers.

Comment from: Energymatters, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

A tendon on my left thumb (thumb to index finger) has minor scaring but it is painful and is causing swelling and limits my mobility and strength. I can no longer play the guitar as I cannot grip the neck with my thumb. I have difficulty opening jars as well.

Comment from: roberta, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have been a mail carrier for 28 years. In the past few months, my right hand has been very painful around the middle finger. I've had numbness at the end of the finger and thumb and find it hard to grasp things. I also can't close my hand completely. It looks like there's swelling just under my right thumb. I've been told I have Dupuytren's contracture. I've been using a paraffin (hot wax) bath treatment several times a day and massage the area under hot running water, alternating with ice packs. I'm thinking of going to a massage therapist. Surgery is the final option for me, due to the fact that I still have to work.

Comment from: Dot, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 03

I was a hairdresser for years. I have recently been told that this is what I have. I am also a diabetic. It's annoying, as I garden quite a bit. According to my doctor, the surgery is hard to get over.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter