Patient Comments: Dry Socket - Healing Time

How long was the healing time for your dry socket?

Comment from: Gramma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

One tough week, I had a bottom molar extracted. I went to the dentist already in pain, the tooth was overdue needing removal before I went for treatment, as I like many people shy from the dentist for obvious reasons. My tooth pain got better for a day, then I developed what I figured must be dry socket because the pain started worse than my original pain. I got back to the dentist on the third day after extraction. I received numbing shots and apparently the site was covered with bacteria which the dentist cleaned and repacked the extraction site. I was sent home being told the pain would subside. It did not. In tears I phoned the dentist and she ordered antibiotics and pain medicines for which unfortunately I did not make it to the pharmacy before it closing. Another night in pain and I started my medicines the following morning. This was a Friday so I made my way 45 minutes each way back to the dentist. More shots and then she x-rayed a wisdom tooth on the same side that a filling had fallen out of, that week. On examination it was decayed so one hour and 45 minutes in the chair. I had a root canal and new filling then a repack of my dry socket. Here I am Monday and finally feeling like myself pretty much. A hard week I must say but thankful to my dentist and her assistant. I called them today to say so.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Rowenasheir, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I had my left wisdom tooth extracted on Friday and by Saturday was in extreme pain (dry socket), not only in my mouth but along my jaw and into my left ear. I went on Moxymax 500 (antibiotic) and 400 mg ibuprofen with 500 mg paracetamol but still it was very painful. I read about using oil of cloves and tried it today. Since using it I have been pain free for 10 hours with only one drop! I wonder how often I should I use it. It seems very strong and I have read about side effects.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: R95, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

After having all four impacted wisdom teeth removed, I developed two dry sockets where the lower teeth were extracted. The pain began about two days after surgery, and became increasingly worse. I went back to the oral surgeon, who irrigated the wounds with saline, and then put a clove-infused dressing on each wound. The dressing needs to be changed once or twice in order to manage pain. I found that this dressing works better than any drug. I still feel a bit of pain after a week, but it's getting better. I'm just focusing on keeping the sockets clean so they don't get infected.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Karen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I am a week into a dry socket. I have never had such pain. Finally today I took it upon myself to rub Orajel on my gums. The relief is much appreciated. I did not get permission from my dentist. I just did it! The dentist had very little help for me.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: ljm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I had dry socket a few years ago after a tooth extraction. I believe the clot was pulled out when I removed the gauze the dentist put in my mouth because I recall seeing a very small yellow/brown cone-shaped piece of something on the gauze. Within moments the pain at the extraction site began and increased rapidly. I spent the next 6 1/2 days in excruciating, indescribable pain. I took every pain pill I could get my hands on with only minimal results. That experience has left me with a strong fear of having any future extractions.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Gail, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I had a tooth extracted and developed dry socket. The pain from the dry socket itself was actually tolerable to me as long as I stayed on Advil. I can't do that forever though. I went to the oral surgeon today and she confirmed that it was dry socket. Here's the problem. The procedure to pack it with the medicated gauze or whatever they do was unbelievably painful. It only took 3 to 5 minutes but it was an intolerable 3 to 5 minutes. I have had two children, a couple of surgeries, and a root canal and have never experienced pain like that. They knew I was in pain as I was squirming uncontrollably and they just kept telling me to hold still. My question is if this is what others experienced. Perhaps I should have been given some Novocain first. I have to go back in a couple of days to see if it needs to be packed again. I cannot go through this again. I would be interested to hear what others have to say about the procedure itself.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Dry Socket - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have when you had dry socket?
Dry Socket - Treatment Question: What treatment did you have for dry socket?

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors