Patient Comments: Dry Skin - Signs and Symptoms

Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your dry skin. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Mariet, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

The itch from dry skin drives me bonkers! It first started 2 years ago when I was pregnant. I itched on my soles, then elbows, then forearms and armpits, my head, then moved to add my upper legs and lower legs and finally hips and tummy and back; everywhere! I would scratch especially at night but all day long as hard as I could as quick as I could and as deep as I could. It resulted in rash like red bumps and deep dark black bruising all over from scratching. I found no real cure or relief. Finally it went away. This last week it's back. Soles itching and elbows, then forelegs, especially at night. I've recently started running and generally I know I don't drink enough fluids, sometimes nothing for the first 6 hours I'm awake. So reading this article I do think bathing too much, winter, and dehydration are making my skin dry. Also I love hot baths which I guess adds to moisture loss of skin. I use Dove soap so I guess that's a good non harsh soap and will also continue to put coconut oil in the bath. I don't use much cream, I will start trying Vaseline all over straight after a bath or coconut oil as a cream. I will try drink more water. I will minimize bathing; sometimes it was 3 times in 24 hours. I will try a humidifier in the room. And to top it off hope that this all works and the insane itchiness goes away.

Comment from: Wascator, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 10

I began to be bothered with dry skin in my early 50s; it began with itchy forearms. Now my arms rarely itch; it is the shin, ankle area, and the calves of my legs. It is very annoying, especially when I try to get to sleep.

Comment from: 11546, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 05

I have skin infection around my sex organ because of skin dryness, and it is white and itchy.

Comment from: Iris, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I have severe menopause and my skin is so dried. I tried most expensive skin creams, but no results.

Comment from: Doglover, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I have type 1 diabetes. My skin is constantly dry and I must moisturize on a daily basis. I have tried many times to use a continuous glucose monitor but am having many problems. It itches usually within a day of insertion into my skin. I need this technology to help me with my glucose control.

Comment from: Eunice, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 02

The palms of my hands and the soles of my feet show no sign of infection. They simply itch, it feels like a deep itch.

Comment from: tiredofitching, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

My scalp is itchy, red and constantly peeling. I have tried dandruff shampoos and tar shampoos, but nothing helps.

Comment from: REGGIE, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I have to brush off copious amounts of dead skin flakes between my bed sheets each day (likely from lower legs).

Comment from: meenakshi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have had a dry skin for 2 years. My toes and heels are dry 24 hours and I have itching mostly every evening. I apply moisturizing cream after bath and at night, but no use of it.

Comment from: JM Thorburn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

My skin is very dry on my nose, chin, and cheekbones. It looks very scaly, particularly on my nose.

Comment from: Uhuru, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 07

I have dry and scaly feet.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter