Dry skin (xeroderma) may be caused by external factors, like cold temperatures, low humidity, harsh soaps, and certain medications, or internal factors, such as thyroid disease, diabetes, psoriasis, or Sjogren's syndrome. Symptoms and signs of dry skin include itching and red, cracked or flaky skin. The main treatment for dry skin is frequent, daily lubrication of the skin. Read more: Dry Skin Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Skin and Makeup Quiz: Test Your Skin and Makeup IQ
Are you doing right by your skin? Take the Skin and Makeup Quiz to learn how to make the most of your beauty regimen....
Skin Quiz: Acne, Dry Skin, Dandruff & More
What's that all over you? Skin, of course! Test your knowledge of your most amazing organ with the Skin Quiz!...
Dry Skin Quiz: Test Your Dry Skin IQ
Dry, itching, flaky skin? Take the Dry Skin Quiz to learn what's causing your dry skin and what you can do about it beyond...
Picture of Xerosis
Abnormal dryness of the skin (xeroderma), of the conjunctiva of the eye (xerophthalmia), or of the mucous membranes such as dry...
Picture of Atopic Dermatitis
This condition is the most common of all pediatric dermatoses. See a picture of Atopic Dermatitis and learn more about the...
Picture of Skin
The skin is the largest organ of the body, with a total area of about 20 square feet. See a picture of the Skin and learn more...
Picture of X-Linked Ichthyosis
More pronounced fish-scale pattern on the legs of a child with X-linked ichthyosis. See a picture of X-Linked Ichthyosis and...
Picture of Atopic Dermatitis or Eczema
Eczema is a skin condition caused by inflammation. See a picture of Atopic Dermatitis or Eczema and learn more about the health...
Skin & Beauty: Anti-Aging Tips & Secrets to Look Younger
Look younger, fight aging, and reduce the appearance of wrinkles and skin aging by practicing good skin care. Use of moisturizing...
12 Ways to Wreck Your Skin
See 12 Ways to Wreck Your Skin with this slideshow. Learn how sun damage, smoking, overeating and other actions can harm the look...
DIY Beauty Fixes for Teen Girls' Hair and Skin in Pictures
Learn about DIY skin and hair care for teen girls. Don't let a pimple, bad hair day, or cold sore get in the way of your good...
Skin Care to Prevent Wrinkles, Aging Skin, and Dry Skin With Pictures
See how your life affects your skin. The choices you make every day affect the appearance of your skin. Learn how to avoid dry...
Acne 101: Types, Best Treatments, Medication, Cystic Acne
What is the best treatment for acne vulgaris? Can food choices influence acne? How can you get rid of blackheads? Learn why it's...
Skin Conditions Below the Waist: Rashes, Bumps, & Lumps
Wondering about an unusual bump, rash, or growth? Learn about common skin conditions below the belt, including genital herpes,...
Easy Skin Care Tips for Guys
Guys, want some great skin care tips? Looking good doesn’t have to take hours. Learn how to shave without razor bumps, solutions...
Related Disease Conditions
Skin Care for Dry Skin
Second Source article from WebMD...
People with bulimia nervosa, an eating disorder that involves episodes of bingeing and purging, experience symptoms and signs...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Eczema is a general term for many types dermatitis (skin inflammation). Atopic dermatitis is the most common of the many types of...
Athlete's foot (tinea pedis) is a skin infection caused by the ringworm fungus. Symptoms include itching, burning, cracking,...
Hyperthyroidism is an excess of thyroid hormone due to an overactive thyroid gland. Symptoms can include increased heart rate,...
Psoriasis is a long-term skin condition that may cause large plaques of red, raised skin, flakes of dry skin, and skin scales....
Sjögren's syndrome is an autoimmune disease involving the abnormal production of extra antibodies that attack the glands and...
There are four major types of thyroid cancer: papillary, follicular, medullary, and anaplastic thyroid cancer. Tumors on the...
Hypothyroidism (Symptoms, Diet, Natural and Medical Treatments, Tests)
Hypothyroidism is any state in which thyroid hormone production is below normal. Normally, the rate of thyroid hormone...
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...
Approximately 40 million children suffer abuse every year around the world, and more than 1,500 children die of abuse in the U.S....
An allergy refers to a misguided reaction by our immune system in response to bodily contact with certain foreign substances. ...
A skin tag is a small benign growth of skin that projects from the surrounding skin. Skin tags can vary in appearance (smooth,...
Kidney Failure (Symptoms, Signs, Stages, Causes, Treatment, and Life Expectancy)
Kidney failure can occur from an acute event or a chronic condition or disease. Prerenal kidney failure is caused by blood loss,...
Itch (Itching or Pruritus)
Itching can be a common problem. Itches can be localized or generalized. There are many causes of itching to include: infection...
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (Symptoms, Diet, Treatments, Pregnancy)
Hashimoto's thyroiditis or chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis, is an autoimmune disorder causing inflammation of the thyroid gland....
There are several types of thyroid disorders including hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, goiters, thyroid nodules, and thyroid...
Is Eczema Contagious?
Eczema is a skin condition characterized by inflamed, rough skin patches that occasionally produce fluid-filled bumps that may...
Is Leprosy (Hansen's Disease) Contagious?
Leprosy is an infection caused by Mycobacterium leprae. Leprosy is only mildly contagious and is transmitted via frequent contact...
Ichythyosis vulgaris is an uncommon inherited condition marked by xerosis. Symptoms and signs include very dry, scaly skin over...
Diabetic Ketoacidosis (Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Complications)
Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is a complication of type 1 diabetes that is life threatening. If a person thinks they may have...
Dandruff vs. Dry Scalp
Dandruff is a condition characterized by small white flakes that shed from the scalp. Dry scalp is simply dry skin on one's head....
Thyroid Disorders Symptoms and Signs
Thyroid diseases and disorders are caused because the body either makes too much or too little thyroid hormones, which are...
How Do I Get Rid of Intertrigo?
Intertrigo is painful and itchy skin inflammation that occurs between skin folds, such as in the groin, buttocks, or between fat...
Local ResourcesFind a local Dermatologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- metformin (Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Fortamet, Riomet)
- glucose (Insta-Glucose, Dex4, Enfamil Glucose, Glutol, Glutose and many others)
- pramoxine and hydrocortisone (Epifoam, Pramosone, Proctofoam HC, Procort, Analpram HC)
- Soriatane (acitretin)
- fluticasone propionate (Cutivate)
- hydrocortisone injection (Solu-Cortef, A-Hydrocort)
- secukinumab (Cosentyx)
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Tip: Chemical Peel
- What Price Beauty for Women? Far More Than for Men
- Health Tip: Seasonal Skin Care
- Health Tip: Exfoliate at Home
- Health Tip: Avoid Winter Skin Rashes
- Health Tip: Treating Chapped Lips
- Save Your Skin From the Ravages of Cold Weather
- Health Tip: Use Petroleum Jelly to Protect Your Skin
- Skin Creams May Be OK During Cancer Radiation Therapies, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Cope With Stretch Marks During Puberty
- Race Can Affect Many Skin Conditions
- Health Tip: Protect Your Skin
- Health Tip: Preventing Dry Skin
- Skin's 'Good' Bacteria May Be Promising Weapon Against Eczema
- Winter Weather Skin Savers
- Whites More Likely Than Others to Seek Help for Psoriasis
- Health Tip: Why Is My Skin Dry?
- Health Tip: Managing Dandruff
- Health Tip: Keep Tattooed Skin Moisturized
- Eczema May Leave Some Flu Shots Less Effective, Study Finds
- Got an Itch? Use These Tips for Relief -- and Don't Scratch
- Men: Here Are Ways to Healthier, Younger-Looking Skin
- How to Exfoliate Safely and Give Your Skin a Healthy Glow
- Health Tip: Why Is My Skin Dry?
- Should FDA Have Power to Recall Beauty Products?
- Health Tip: Protect Skin From Diabetes
- Health Tip: Preventing Summertime Dry Skin
- Dermatologists: Daily Bath OK for Kids With Eczema
- Hair Removal for a Beach-Ready Body? Do It Safely
- Health Tip: Coping With Itchy Skin
- New 'Second Skin' Temporarily Smoothes Wrinkles
- Health Tip: Why Is My Skin Dry?
- Winter Skin-Care Tips From a Pro
- Health Tip: Get Relief From Dry Skin
- Many Skin Bacteria Are Dead or Inactive, Study Finds
- Global Warning Over Dangerous Diet Pills
- Exfoliate With Care, Dermatologist Urges
- Health Tip: Why Is My Skin Peeling?
- Health Tip: What's Causing my Child's Eczema?
- Health Tip: Change Your Skin Routine During Winter
- Health Tip: Have Cracked Heels?
- Health Tip: Choosing a Moisturizer
- Health Tip: Ward Off Dry Skin
- Dermatologist Offers Tips on Dry Winter Skin
- Coping Tips for Winter Skin
- Health Tip: Shopping for Skin Care Products
- Training in the Heat
- Health Tip: Bring Moisture Back to Dry Skin
- Health Tip: Care for Your Skin Daily
- Kids on Medicaid May Face Barriers to Eczema Treatment
- Health Tip: Caring for Chapped Lips
- Health Tip: Avoiding Dry Skin
- Tips to Avoid Dry Skin During Winter
- It's Not So Much the Heat, It's the Lack of Power
- Some Prisoners Misuse Antibiotic Ointments: Study
- Health Tip: Understanding Adult Dehydration
- 'Fish Pedicure' a Recipe for Bacterial Infection, Researchers Warn
- Incontinence Drugs: Benefits and Harms Compared
- Vitamin A May Help Reduce Melanoma Risk
- FDA Approves No-Comb Treatment for Head Lice
- Early Success for Gel That Treats Acne Scars
- Health Tip: Dealing With Dry Skin
- Dry Skin? Don't Let Winter Win