Dry skin (xeroderma) may be caused by external factors, like cold temperatures, low humidity, harsh soaps, and certain medications, or internal factors, such as thyroid disease, diabetes, psoriasis, or Sjogren's syndrome. Symptoms and signs of dry skin include itching and red, cracked or flaky skin. The main treatment for dry skin is frequent, daily lubrication of the skin. Read more: Dry Skin Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Dry Skin Quiz: Test Your Dry Skin IQ
Dry, itching, flaky skin? Take the Dry Skin Quiz to learn what's causing your dry skin and what you can do about it beyond...
Skin and Makeup Quiz: Test Your Skin and Makeup IQ
Are you doing right by your skin? Take the Skin and Makeup Quiz to learn how to make the most of your beauty regimen....
Picture of Xerosis
Abnormal dryness of the skin (xeroderma), of the conjunctiva of the eye (xerophthalmia), or of the mucous membranes such as dry...
Picture of Atopic Dermatitis
This condition is the most common of all pediatric dermatoses. See a picture of Atopic Dermatitis and learn more about the...
Picture of Skin
The skin is the largest organ of the body, with a total area of about 20 square feet. See a picture of the Skin and learn more...
Picture of X-Linked Ichthyosis
More pronounced fish-scale pattern on the legs of a child with X-linked ichthyosis. See a picture of X-Linked Ichthyosis and...
Picture of Atopic Dermatitis or Eczema
Eczema is a skin condition caused by inflammation. See a picture of Atopic Dermatitis or Eczema and learn more about the health...
Skin & Beauty: Anti-Aging Tips & Secrets to Look Younger
Look younger, fight aging, and reduce the appearance of wrinkles and skin aging by practicing good skin care. Use of moisturizing...
12 Ways to Wreck Your Skin
See 12 Ways to Wreck Your Skin with this slideshow. Learn how sun damage, smoking, overeating and other actions can harm the look...
DIY Beauty Fixes for Teen Girls' Hair and Skin in Pictures
Learn about DIY skin and hair care for teen girls. Don't let a pimple, bad hair day, or cold sore get in the way of your good...
Skin Care to Prevent Wrinkles, Aging Skin, and Dry Skin With Pictures
See how your life affects your skin. The choices you make every day affect the appearance of your skin. Learn how to avoid dry...
Acne 101: Types, Best Treatments, Medication, Cystic Acne
What is the best treatment for acne vulgaris? Can food choices influence acne? How can you get rid of blackheads? Learn why it's...
Skin Conditions Below the Waist: Rashes, Bumps, & Lumps
Wondering about an unusual bump, rash, or growth? Learn about common skin conditions below the belt, including genital herpes,...
Easy Skin Care Tips for Guys
Guys, want some great skin care tips? Looking good doesn’t have to take hours. Learn how to shave without razor bumps, solutions...
Related Disease Conditions
Skin Care for Dry Skin
Second Source article from WebMD...
People with bulimia nervosa, an eating disorder that involves episodes of bingeing and purging, experience symptoms and signs...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Eczema is a general term for many types dermatitis (skin inflammation). Atopic dermatitis is the most common of the many types of...
Athlete's foot (tinea pedis) is a skin infection caused by the ringworm fungus. Symptoms include itching, burning, cracking,...
Hyperthyroidism is an excess of thyroid hormone resulting from an overactive thyroid gland. Symptoms can include increased...
Psoriasis is a long-term skin condition that may cause large plaques of red, raised skin, flakes of dry skin, and skin scales....
Sjögren's syndrome is an autoimmune disease involving the abnormal production of extra antibodies that attack the glands and...
There are four major types of thyroid cancer: papillary, follicular, medullary, and anaplastic thyroid cancer. Tumors on the...
Hypothyroidism is any state in which thyroid hormone production is below normal. Normally, the rate of thyroid hormone...
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...
Approximately 40 million children suffer abuse every year around the world, and more than 1,500 children die of abuse in the U.S....
An allergy refers to a misguided reaction by our immune system in response to bodily contact with certain foreign substances. ...
A skin tag is a small benign growth of skin that projects from the surrounding skin. Skin tags can vary in appearance (smooth,...
Kidney Failure (Symptoms, Signs, Stages, Causes, and Treatment)
Kidney failure can occur from an acute event or a chronic condition or disease. Prerenal kidney failure is caused by blood loss,...
Itch (Itching or Pruritus)
Itching can be a common problem. Itches can be localized or generalized. There are many causes of itching to include: infection...
Hashimoto's thyroiditis is the most common cause of hypothyroidism in the US. This conditions is caused by inflammation of the...
There are several types of thyroid disorders including hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, goiters, thyroid nodules, and thyroid...
Is Eczema Contagious?
Eczema is a skin condition characterized by inflamed, rough skin patches that occasionally produce fluid-filled bumps that may...
Is Leprosy (Hansen's Disease) Contagious?
Leprosy is an infection caused by Mycobacterium leprae. Leprosy is only mildly contagious and is transmitted via frequent contact...
Ichythyosis vulgaris is an uncommon inherited condition marked by xerosis. Symptoms and signs include very dry, scaly skin over...
Diabetic Ketoacidosis (Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Complications)
Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is a complication of type 1 diabetes that is life threatening. If a person thinks they may have...
Dandruff vs. Dry Scalp
Dandruff is a condition characterized by small white flakes that shed from the scalp. Dry scalp is simply dry skin on one's head....
Dry Skin - Signs and Symptoms
Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your dry skin.Post View 18 Comments
Dry Skin - Causes
What is the cause of your dry skin?Post View 6 Comments
Dry Skin - Medical Conditions
Do you have any medical conditions that are the cause of your dry skin? If so, how do you relieve the symptoms?Post View 6 Comments
Dry Skin - Home Remedies
Please share any home remedies that help relieve dry skin.Post View 4 Comments
Dry Skin - Products
Everyone has a favorite product to help soothe dry skin. What do you recommend?Post View 4 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Dermatologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- metformin, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Fortamet, Riomet
- glucose (Insta-Glucose, Dex4, Enfamil Glucose, Glutol, Glutose and many others)
- pramoxine and hydrocortisone (Epifoam, Pramosone, Proctofoam HC, Procort, Analpram HC)
- Soriatane (acitretin)
- fluticasone propionate (Cutivate)
- hydrocortisone injection (Solu-Cortef, A-Hydrocort)
- secukinumab (Cosentyx)
Prevention & Wellness
- Winter Weather Skin Savers
- Whites More Likely Than Others to Seek Help for Psoriasis
- Health Tip: Why Is My Skin Dry?
- Health Tip: Managing Dandruff
- Health Tip: Keep Tattooed Skin Moisturized
- Eczema May Leave Some Flu Shots Less Effective, Study Finds
- Got an Itch? Use These Tips for Relief -- and Don't Scratch
- Men: Here Are Ways to Healthier, Younger-Looking Skin
- How to Exfoliate Safely and Give Your Skin a Healthy Glow
- Health Tip: Why Is My Skin Dry?
- Should FDA Have Power to Recall Beauty Products?
- Health Tip: Protect Skin From Diabetes
- Health Tip: Preventing Summertime Dry Skin
- Dermatologists: Daily Bath OK for Kids With Eczema
- Hair Removal for a Beach-Ready Body? Do It Safely
- Health Tip: Coping With Itchy Skin
- New 'Second Skin' Temporarily Smoothes Wrinkles
- Health Tip: Why Is My Skin Dry?
- Winter Skin-Care Tips From a Pro
- Health Tip: Get Relief From Dry Skin
- Many Skin Bacteria Are Dead or Inactive, Study Finds
- Global Warning Over Dangerous Diet Pills
- Exfoliate With Care, Dermatologist Urges
- Health Tip: Why Is My Skin Peeling?
- Health Tip: What's Causing my Child's Eczema?
- Health Tip: Change Your Skin Routine During Winter
- Health Tip: Have Cracked Heels?
- Health Tip: Choosing a Moisturizer
- Health Tip: Ward Off Dry Skin
- Dermatologist Offers Tips on Dry Winter Skin
- Coping Tips for Winter Skin
- Health Tip: Shopping for Skin Care Products
- Training in the Heat
- Health Tip: Bring Moisture Back to Dry Skin
- Health Tip: Care for Your Skin Daily
- Kids on Medicaid May Face Barriers to Eczema Treatment
- Health Tip: Caring for Chapped Lips
- Health Tip: Avoiding Dry Skin
- Tips to Avoid Dry Skin During Winter
- It's Not So Much the Heat, It's the Lack of Power
- Some Prisoners Misuse Antibiotic Ointments: Study
- Health Tip: Understanding Adult Dehydration
- 'Fish Pedicure' a Recipe for Bacterial Infection, Researchers Warn
- Incontinence Drugs: Benefits and Harms Compared
- Vitamin A May Help Reduce Melanoma Risk
- FDA Approves No-Comb Treatment for Head Lice
- Early Success for Gel That Treats Acne Scars
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter