Patient Comments: Dry Mouth - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your dry mouth? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: LMA1986, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

For the past year, I have been trying to lose weight like crazy. I reduced the amount of bad foods and started bringing in healthier foods, such as eating egg whites and whole wheat toast for breakfast, broccoli for lunch, etc. I noticed that my weight was slowing going up. Over the past year, I have gained around 30 lb. and I am actually eating healthier and exercising more now than ever. I have noticed pain, especially on the right side of my neck, and there is also a bump there. I decided to mention this to my doctor and she had me get blood work done to check my thyroid, and an ultrasound. My doctor said that the blood work came back normal with my thyroid, but the ultrasound showed that I have multiple nodules on my thyroid and a possible cyst on the one side. I found this out back in October and was referred to an endocrinologist. My appointment isn't until December 10, so I have to sit and wonder exactly what it is. I was told that they would do a biopsy and possibly MRI to see how serious it is and then they will decide what to do from there. With my symptoms, I have experienced weight gain, feeling more tired than usual, memory problems, and period issues (being light or not on time).

Comment from: Been there, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I have had dry mouth syndrome for two and a half years, caused by radiation therapy. It is improving, but I have had all the symptoms: dry mouth, sores on all tissues, burned tongue, sore throat, earaches, swellings, inability to eat acids, spices, salt, mints, etc. I have tried most remedies, but these are the ones that have helped the most: X-Pur puts out a xylitol product in both gums and mints that are excellent. At night I put one in my mouth and it stimulates saliva for hours. The gum I don't chew, just let it sit in my mouth. It seems that just having an object in the mouth helps. Biotene gel helps also. But one thing I really suggest is to use a humidifier, especially in the winter when the heating is on. When I drive or fly for long periods, I use a mask to keep my moisture in. Good luck.

Comment from: kathy beeler, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I have had a cold and in the last stages I came down with this dry mouth that won't anything help. Water by the gallon, juices, tea, coffee, which I drink daily , but nothing seems to help, but I did chew some gum and it relieved it for a little while. But it is so dry my lips stick to my teeth and my tongue to the roof of my mouth. It is also very painful to eat anything remotely spicy, which I love. even tasted a small amount of ketchup and it even burned. Could this be from the last stages of my cold or something else? I'm a smoker, don't drink, have diabetes, high blood pressure, and sleep with a C-Pap machine. Never had this before now, only if my sugar count was high, this is not the case now.

Comment from: nake715, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I am experiencing occasional jaw pain, this particular pain on the coronoid process and the surrounding muscles. The swelling started tonight, on 10/7/2016, in the FSM (facioscapulohumeral muscle). I am very worried due to the fact I have white patches in my mouth. My local hospital is not efficient and equipped to conduct such examination. I am expected to undergo a buccal mucosa biopsy on Wednesday.

Comment from: Rock, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

My mouth is dry only at night. I know I sleep with my mouth open. I spray my nose with saline before going to bed, but it doesn't help. My nose isn't congested, so I don't know why I sleep with my mouth open. I've tried Biotene, but to no avail.

Comment from: BoBo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

To relieve symptoms of dry mouth, I switched toothpaste to a brand that is specifically made for dry mouth. It contains no sodium lauryl sulfate.

Comment from: Leo, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

My mouth starts drying after brushing my teeth in the morning. This may caused by my alcohol use.

Comment from: stickymouth, 45-54 (Patient) Published: September 02

There is a product called Mouth Kote that seems to work really well for dry mouth. Lemony flavor instead of the mint and no bad after taste. The maker also has a product for my nose, which helps a lot during those seasonal allergy times.

Comment from: georgiegirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have been desperate; suddenly I woke up with a super dry mouth. I tried many ideas but one that has been very helpful is “pulling.” You swish coconut oil or olive oil like a gargle. I do it as often as the dryness feels painful.

Fast-Acting Dry Mouth Remedies
Comment from: Joan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had dry mouth for years (on a scale of 1 to 10 it was an 11), still have a little of it but on a scale of 1 to 10, today it is about a 1. Have your calcium level checked as my endocrinologist said it is a symptom when your calcium level is high. I was on 1000 units of calcium twice a day and am now on 600 units once a day. Just a suggestion.

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

My dry mouth includes nasty sores and canker sores that are painful. I can't eat anything even remotely spicy. There are times when it feels like I am just going to choke. I just started B12 vitamins after testing low in vitamin B. I use Biotin mouthwash, chew gum, and spray biotin in my mouth at night. I am hoping that if I stop eating fruit, take more B12, and drink more water that this will get better. I have dry eyes as well. It's been about 8 months now and I've had 2 doctors take a look, neither knows what's wrong.

Comment from: bubbles, 13-18 Published: November 16

I got a burning tingling dry feeling on the side of my tongue and I think it is dry mouth but I'm not sure. I brushed my teeth and used mouth wash (original Listerine) and the pain left for a bit.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I have had dry mouth for approx 3 weeks now. I have seen my doctor but no diagnosis as of yet. I can produce saliva but the dryness is very localised to the inside of my lips. My mouth is sometimes so dry it sticks to my teeth. This does also make it hard to talk. The severity varies but never disappears. My symptoms do improve overnight. It seems to get worse as the day progresses. I am feeling very depressed with the symptoms. I am not on medication and I have no other health issues!

Comment from: altoman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 26

I suffer from chronic dry mouth caused by cancer radiation therapy back in 2007. My mouth felt like a thousand pins and needles. It was very painful and debilitating. I became very depressed. However for two years now I've been using the XEROS Dry Mouth Pump and it has changed my life from suffering to living! No chemicals! Pure water! Today I feel great!

Comment from: sleepless, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I have suffered from dry mouth for 4 months. Sticky, dry and sore mouth, gums sore, dry cracked lower lip and corners of mouth with sore on outer lower lip. Red dry mouth and lip with blister or mouth ulcers, rough sore tongue. Eating is impossible at times, teeth feel like razors when touch tongue, can't eat spicy foods, wake up 5 or 6 times a night to drink and lubricate mouth and lips. Wake up 5 or 6 times to tinkle (failed bladder operation.

Comment from: Cally, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I have had a cold which main symptoms are a runny/blocked nose, earache, sinus headache and sore throat. I have now started to have severe dry mouth at the end of this cold. It seems a little better during the day but at night I have to take water all through the night or I can hardly breathe. I hope this is just another symptom from the cold and hopefully it should go away. Soaking a hard sweet helps to bring more saliva and soothes it. It is terrible to live with dry mouth and tongue nipping. It makes it difficult to swallow and talk. I hope it goes away!!!

Comment from: Yves, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 25

I'm presently cycling in S-E Asia doing approximate 100 km a day. I've been taking malaria pills every day and sweating profusely. Despite drinking copious amount of fluids every day I am urinating very little. At first I was constipated but this problem no longer exists. I have been experiencing dry mouth every day for a week now!

Comment from: Richard, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 25

I went to the Dr about two weeks ago for a sore throat and he put me on Claritin-D and Omeprazole. 20mg it may have made mouth dryer and lip worse, but I had dry mouth before I went to the doctor.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

One of my chemotherapy nurses suggested rinsing with a mild salt and water solution for my dry mouth. It helped.

Comment from: dryand worry, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I have fibromyalgia, and I have dry mouth sores at wall in my mouth I also feel a tingle at tip of my tongue. It is concerning to me.

Fast-Acting Dry Mouth Remedies