Patient Comments: Dry Mouth - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dry mouth. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Dancer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I had a dental implant procedure 5 years ago. I had mild nerve damage leaving me with a tongue that feels like cotton. My lower lip feels puffy. I am not sure if I have dry mouth or just a loss of feeling. I sip water or more often use ice chips which really make my mouth feel good. I take Arimidex for breast cancer which also dries out the whole body. I also have dry eye which is treated with Restasis. I am hoping in 2 years when I go off Arimidex that some of the dry mouth sensation will improve. My eye doctor says it will not change the dry eye problem, but I think it should get a little better! Why not!

Comment from: Revj, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

In 2003, I was diagnosed with stage IV lymphoepithelial carcinoma of the right parotid gland, which had metastasized to 9 out of 51 lymph nodes that were tested. Treatment consisted of surgery, followed by six weeks of radiation therapy. I have been cancer-free since 2003, but I have severe dry mouth, which I treat with several Biotene products including, mouth rinse, toothpaste, oral spray, gel, as well as Act dry mouth lozenges. I eventually had to have all my teeth removed and I have a full set of dentures. Whenever I have needed other than routine dental care, I have had to undergo hyperbaric oxygen treatment for several weeks. Because of a problem with my lower dentures, I am considering dental implants, but doctors are divided on whether I would need hyperbaric oxygen treatment again before I have implants. My surgeon recommends it as a precaution, but the chief physician at the hyperbaric oxygen facility says he is not sure if it is worth it for a third time. I don't know.

Comment from: Beth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I've had dry mouth for about 6 months now. Everything I read steered me to my medications being the cause. Surprise! It was my toothpaste. I switched to Crest Sensitive. It contains sodium lauryl sulfate which helped my gums but gave me a dry, burning mouth. Thank goodness I finally figured this out!

Comment from: catherine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I have had dry mouth for a year now. My blood work was inconclusive and my lip biopsy was negative. I wake up fine, the dryness starts around 11 am or earlier. Nothing I do or take seems to help it. It is much more pronounced when travelling in a hot country. Also, when I am under stress. I have tried the Biotin products, the mints, cough drops, the pilocarpine and lemon. After reading all the reader experiences, I see there is no solution. I also take Zopliclone every night to help me sleep. I have been so called diagnosed with fibromyalgia.

Comment from: Miserable, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I have suffered with dry mouth for so long, years. The only helpful thing I've found is chewing sugarless gum, which I'm getting concerned about. What is three packs of gum a day doing to my teeth! I also am tortured with burning lips, which nothing except the sugarless gum helps. I have tried drinking lots of water, Biotene toothpaste, mouthwash, and spray, none of which help. I quit smoking eight months ago, which hasn't helped. I'm on the same medications which I've been on for years, Zetia and Coumadin. I've worked with my dentist, a dermatologist, and a dietician. None can diagnose either the dry mouth or the burning lips. I continue to use Biotene toothpaste as any other brand makes my lips burn even worse. These are truly miserable conditions to live with, with my only respite being sleep; and I must coat my lips with white petroleum jelly to get any sleep. I've tried at least a dozen lip balms. None work. Just the white petroleum jelly at night. Oddly, that same product does not help during waking hours! I don't know what else to do or where to turn. I'm so weary of living with these conditions.

Comment from: pinogilr87, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 22

I have a huge problem with my lips due to diabetes, they are so dry they crack and peel, and burn. I bought the Made from Earth beeswax balm hoping it would help, it is amazing. I fully would advise anyone to try.

Comment from: annie, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 30

I have in the last two years developed a very dry mouth and a tag of skin on the center of my tongue. It drives me mad, especially at night time, it wakes me 10 or 15 times a night when my mouth is so dry. I have had blood test after blood test to no avail. I have tried mouth sprays, gels, and they work for a matter of minutes that's all; I don't know what else to do.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I have started to get dry mouth just at night and wake up two or three times to swill water round my mouth. I think it is due to a medication prescribed to reduce menstruation. Through the day my mouth feels more normal.

Comment from: Clark, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: March 24

I had 5 infective teeth removed in September. Lately I have developed a very dry mouth at night, and excessive spittle during the day. My age is 93, blood pressure 120 to 140/80, and weight 160. I ride bike/walk, both subject to weather.

Comment from: fed up, (Patient) Published: February 25

Like many others above, I am also suffering from dry mouth. It has been slowly getting worse over the last couple of years. I suffer from it badly of a night where I am constantly being awakened by a dry tingle that wakes me in a choke. It happens all through the night! Now I have just had a virus in my throat and sinuses, which has left me worse than ever. I seem to have now a constant dry throat and my neck feels like I am restricted in swallowing, and it is always worse of a night. I have just changed my tooth paste to SLS free. My doctor has not been of much help. Wish I could get to the bottom of this condition as sleep is a big issue, I am so tired. I have gallbladder polyps, don't know if this has any connection. My granddad had throat cancer.

Comment from: becky wesberry, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

Nine months ago I had hip surgery. Post operation I was given extreme amounts of pain medications. My mouth became extremely and painfully dry. That lasted for 2 weeks plus. I also have Sjogren's syndrome, which makes my mouth somewhat dry anyway. But that episode was like nothing I had ever experienced. Now my tongue is still painful when I eat a semi spicy food, even ketchup. I actually have lacerations on it.

Comment from: maggie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I have had dry mouth since my car accident. I have tried putting olive oil in my mouth and then biotin; this works well. I am also having acupuncture, this is helping too. He gave metallic strips to wear on my fingers, marvelous, this means I can talk all of the time. Other good thing to do when stuck is to take a small amount of cotton and roll into a ball. Then put it in your mouth between your gum and teeth, you will get saliva. But take it out before you eat. I can only drink milk and water at the moment.

Comment from: saima, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I am suffering from dryness of tongue. It is very irritating. I am feeling thirsty and passing urine all the time. I have pain in gums, sometime on the right gum and sometime on the left. I have no disease which is listed in symptoms. I checked diabetes too. But everything is ok. I'm not using any medicine or drugs of any type.

Comment from: Wayne, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

My mouth at night gets so dry that my cheeks and lips stick to my teeth. I use a CPAP machine with humidifier and breathe through my nose. I drink plenty of water during the day and usually get up a couple of times at night to urinate unless I've eaten something salty. My mouth tends to fall open while sleeping, but I continue to breathe through my nose. I take several medications which can cause dry mouth.

Comment from: The lemon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

My urologist put me on oxybutynin 10 mg for incontinence, which really helped that problem, but it caused dry mouth. My tongue is on fire now. The sides of my tongue and roof of my mouth have a burning sensation as well. I stopped the medication in hopes that my tongue will stop burning but it's only been one day. I have numerous health issues like chronic pain, sciatica, insulin controlled diabetes, pinched nerve in my neck, knee and shoulder pain from a fall 3 years ago. I've just had tests done on my heart with good results but this burning tongue is horrible! I'm going to try the baking soda rinses and hope it works. I'm almost totally house bound and suffer with depression. I feel for anyone who suffers with this syndrome.

Comment from: diamount, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

I've had infrequent bouts of dry mouth, but now it seems it's been the longest. I don't smoke, take any medication or have obvious symptoms related to it. Water rarely does anything even when sipping in large quantities, chewing gum seems to be the only thing to alleviate it but I don't want to keep doing that as my jaw will fall off at this rate.

Comment from: Rose, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 28

About 9 months ago I noticed I was awakening during the night with my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth. This woke me up several times and I had to drink some water. The condition continues. I also get a dry mouth feeling during the day. I have sucked non-sweetener boiled sweets or Polo's or chewed gum, tried raw pineapple, and tongue gel, nothing lasts very long. I've had a sleep apnea test. I snore but it wasn't too bad on the test. I've tried a tongue ball, but my top back teeth rub against my tongue and make it sore. I don't want to wear a sleeping mask. It is really annoying as I wake up several times during the night.

Comment from: authorkhira, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 16

A few months ago, I started suffering of xerostomia or dry mouth, but only when I am sleeping. Each hour I"m obliged to wake up to drink water. This makes me pass urine often which made be sleep-phobic. I became scared of bedtime so sometimes I"m obliged to spend my night awake... it"s really hard especially because I"m working.

Comment from: Sarge, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 11

My wife has the dry-mouth symptoms, but says it's not dry-mouth. She has tried a lot of medications, changed her mouthwash, has arthritis, and does not smoke. Her mouth seems dry and when she uses the sprays, or mouth sore treatments, it only lasts for a short while. She was prescribed a medication which made the symptoms go away, but gave her heart palpitations to the point she thought she might be having heart trouble.

Comment from: kay, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I developed dry mouth after starting a new blood pressure medication. I have a bad taste in my mouth especially after eating. I also get a headache and have pain in my mouth from my back teeth rubbing against my tissue. My appetite is low and I have lost over 20 lbs (that"s good). I stopped the medication, but I still have the dry mouth. Chewing gum helps. I used to cry when I ate because it was so painful. It"s not that bad now, but I am sad.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I take daily medications and I have dry mouth and bad breath. I have periods of sore throat and inner ear problems. I am taking allergy shots. Nothing seems to work to rid of it. Drinking water and juices wets the mouth and scraping tongue after brushing helps which means several times a day. I tend to cover my mouth when speaking and close to someone, while raising my voice. I am faced with public thinking I'm not clean.

Comment from: blizzard, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I have had dry mouth for about 3 weeks now. It is not too bad in the morning but gets worse during the day and by bedtime it is really bad. Biotene Oral rinse doesn't help at all, nor do the lozenges. I don't take any medications nor have I had any treatments which might cause it. I thought I could handle this on my own, but I guess I'll have to see a doctor and try to get help. Yes, I do drink plenty of water.

Published: July 23

I suffer from end stage lung disease (COPD) I am presently going through a flare up and my oxygen drops into the 80's with minimum exertion. I am on 20 mg of prednisone (tapering off) and was on Factive. I take 20mg of Lexapro, Spiriva, Advair, Protonix, theophylline and 20 mg of Micardis. I put on weight (5'4, 236 lbs-female) but I had a very thorough exam for my heart- no sugar, cholesterol or triglyceride problem, no thyroid, stress test and echo perfect as well as blood pressure (it goes up a bit when I exert but usually is runs about 130/80 or bad is 140/90. Sometime it drops to 117/78. So, in that regard I am very lucky. My mouth became dry and I became very thirsty with this flare up (it has been going on now for about 3.5 weeks) I have a partial bridge and caps. I do not know what to make of it. I also noticed my skin getting very dry so I bought some Gatoraid and drank that and it helped for about 3 days. Seems like I'm dehydrated. I am constantly drinking water - maybe 10 glasses or so. Am constantly going to the bathroon to urinate and do have a yeast infection that will not go away. I also have been having headaches - mild and get dizzy- which I think is from the drop in oxygen. What do you suggest? Which doctor should I see- my primary, pulmonist, ENT, gynocologist or all? Sorry for the overload. I am 55 yrs. old if that makes any difference. I get hot flashes now and then but mostly in the extremities and do not sweat just get hot on the top of my head. (don't laugh-is true) Thanks... Maria

Comment from: kinggary, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

My dry mouth is different from the rest, I have saliva but I have a biting feeling like you have after drinking very dry wine. I think it's from excess soda and alcohol. I had it for 6 months, cut way back on both but though I am not any better, not any worse either.

Comment from: ree, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I have a very dry mouth, my tongue burns all day and I also experience burning on my scalp. I have been to many doctors, no one has an answer; doctors just shrug their shoulders. I don't know what type of doctor to go to now to handle this. I went to primary, neurologist, dermatologist, ENT, and no answers from any of them.

Comment from: Sandipub, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 12

My husband has severe COPD and very dry mouth so it makes it very difficult to eat and swallow. He does use Act mouth rinse.

Comment from: Ebert, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I recently (in June) quit smoking and I am on a couple of medications the side effect of which is dry mouth. I have dry mouth and a constant tickle on the left side of the back of my throat. I am constantly swallowing to keep the tickle at bay.

Comment from: Ljo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

My dry mouth came on suddenly. I was taking nitrofurantoin monohyd mac 100. Dry mouth as a side effect not mentioned! But, I don't know what else could've caused it so suddenly. During this 8 days of pills I also had the flu, or so I thought. Some side effects of this medication are body and joint ache, chills, headache and eye pain. So, I am hoping it goes away by itself. I've only had it for 2 days and it is very annoying.

Comment from: Michele, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have extreme dry mouth and throat. Nighttime is the absolute worst. Sometimes when I wake up with my mouth so dry, my tongue is stuck to the roof of my mouth. Sometimes I wake up and can't swallow and I feel like I'm going to choke to death. It has come on all of a sudden and I have had it for about 5 months now.

Comment from: Reba, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

At night my mouth gets so dry that my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth, sometimes it feels like it's not going to open.

Comment from: Penny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I wake up during the night with dry mouth at least ten times.

Comment from: Kaysey, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have never had dry mouth until recently after having hip replacement surgery. I wake up 3 to 4 times in the night/morning with my mouth feeling like it is full of cotton. The only medication I am taking is Coumadin. I am also taking iron, vitamin D and vitamin B12. After two nosebleeds, one severe, I was taken off Coumadin for one day and then put on a smaller dose. The morning after stopping Coumadin I did not have dry mouth, but it has now resumed with the resumption of Coumadin. Fortunately today is the last day I need to take it.

Comment from: Jasmin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

My medication (carbamezepine) makes it feel like my mouth is dry, and I'm incredibly thirsty. This is frustrating, as I have actually got an overproductive spit gland, and usually drink at least a gallon of water per day.

Comment from: MAYURI, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I have also experience 4rm dry mouth but 1 day i realized that dry mouth could be due 2 constipation n i immediately went 4 check up ann i got the result that i was having liver problem from dat day i started taking liver medicines n brushing wd flouride content toothpaste n avoiding toothpaste dat makes my mouth more dry plus i use 2 drink 8 liters of water in a day.......n it worked a lot

Comment from: Cathy, 55-64 Female Published: May 20

This is for Kathy, who mentioned she had dry mouth and dry eyes. Have you been checked for Sjogren's syndrome? It's a rheumatic condition – a form of arthritis. I have it, and have had dry eyes (I use Restasis with great results) and am working on taking care of my increasingly dry mouth.

Published: July 21

I have had dry mouth for a long time due to several autoimmune diseases. The only thing that helps me is Biotene Oral Balance Dry Mouth Moisturizing Gel. They now make a spray that I can't use because it hurts my mouth. I've tried everything and this gel is the best because it soothes your mouth and doesn't sting. Most places stock the spray, and I have to buy the gel online. If I drink a lot of water at night it helps, but then I'm up running to the bathroom.

Published: July 21

To treat my dry mouth, I have two glasses of water before bed. I try to form saliva as much as possible. I don't have coffee — even decaff. Yes, sugar-free juices and mints help.

Published: July 18

Sores in my mouth and tongue for about two years being treated with a prednisone mouth wash and is not getting any better. It is not the medications I am on because my doctor already had started eliminating each med but nothing has helped. My age is 81.

Published: July 10

For 2 years now I have woken up every morning with a mouth so dry it feels like I have spent a month lost in the desert without water. My doctor tells me only that I must sleep with my mouth open as a result of congestion. My nasal passages are clear upon waking so I think it has some other cause. I take no meds, only vitamins, digestive enzymes and protein powder.

Published: July 07

I have only had what I call a dry mouth for a week and a half, and already I am quite tired of it. I read that most people with this condition complain of no saliva; however, I have saliva, and can swallow it. But my tongue is dry and split and sore. I have sores in my mouth from the cheeks sticking to my teeth when I shut my mouth for even a few minutes. It came on suddenly. I have no idea what is causing it. The doctor suggested rheumatoid arthritis; I'm still waiting for test results.

Published: July 07

I believe I get a dry mouth from my stomach; perhaps food is digested or not digested, am I too acidic, is it the stress that I have been going through. I just know it's very uncomfortable, I am constantly drawing for saliva and this looks and sounds awful. I believe it started when I was drinking a lot of coffee, perhaps I damaged something. The dryness comes and goes sometimes worse sometimes less. I am on a sedative mainly for sleep but I find that this sometimes helps me by calming stomach nerves.

Published: June 25

I have Sjogren's syndrome because of fibromyalgia. Consequently, I have dry eyes and dry mouth. The eyes I can handle with drops, but the mouth is a big problem. It's constantly dry day and night. I suck on sugar-free candy, drink lots of water, etc. Often I can't open my mouth, and talking is a chore at times.

Published: June 24

I have been experiencing dry mouth for the last six weeks now and it affects me mostly at night when I go to sleep. I do not take medication for anything and not inclined to take pain killers either. The only thing I have done is changed my toothpaste and I am not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

Published: June 24

I have terrible dry mouth. I wake up at night with my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth. It hurts to get it loose. During the day I have spells of dry mouth that make it hard to talk. It is getting worse. I have started keeping a water bottle with me. I take many medicines I take steroids for Addison's-blood pressure meds, 3 of them, Neurontin for arthritis and thyroid meds. That is likely to be part of my problem. I wish I could find a way to not have dry mouth.

Published: June 19

I am taking Zopiclone at night 1 tablet 7.5mg, I have an awful dry mouth but worst of all a great deal of my food tastes like poison & my wife is throwing out good food to the birds everyday. I have been on these tablets for 8 weeks, I also take Amitriptyline 10mg at night.

Published: June 18

My mouth is dry at night and I keep a bottle of water nearby to relieve the symptom. I take medication for hypertension and cholesterol.

Published: June 18

I am searching the Net for more information on this subject. I am 61 and over the past year I have been waking several times each night with a dry, parched mouth. My tongue feels like it is three times larger than it usually does and the inside of my mouth is like a desert. I keep a glass of water by my bed at all times and sip on it when I am wakened by this, for surely it does awaken me. My sleep is being severely interrupted by this phenomenon. I have no other symptoms and do not take any other medication except an occasional Robaxin for back pain.

Published: June 12

I am a Registered Nurse. I have worked in many hospital settings. When a patent experiences a dry mouth for what ever reason, I also have the dietary department bring sliced lemons for the patient to suck on. This seems to activate the salivary glands to produce much needed moisture. I have a lot of sinus and allergy problems. I also use lemons for my own use. Hope this may help someone.

Published: June 11

My mouth gets so dry at night that it literally sticks shut and I have a difficult time tearing my tongue away from the top of my mouth. I am on bladder medication (oxybutynin).

Published: June 11

Sometimes I try to remember what it is like to have a normal mouth with saliva. That is not my present reality. I have dry mouth due to Sjögren's Syndrome. No matter how much I drink, my mouth always feels sticky and dry. When I wake up in the morning, I can barely swallow. I can no longer lick an envelope or spit (not that I was much of a spitter). The corners of my mouth often crack from dryness and my tongue hurts. I can't eat anything spicy or use any minty oral care products as they hurt my tongue. I use special toothpastes and other products for dry mouth but nothing really helps. I have difficulty talking unless I chew gum so I always carry it with me. Can I remember what it was like before I developed this problem.

Published: June 10

I was told that I had sleep apnea and that it was border line, if I didn't sleep with a mask on at night it would get worse, and could even cause death. Prior to this I did not have dry mouth. I followed Doctors orders and began sleeping with a mask eight months, I developed dry mouth. It got so bad I just quit, now at night between 3:00 am and 4:00 am my mouth get so dry that my tongue bleeds and blood gets on my lips. I have to get up and rinse my mouth out because the blood dries on mt lips and leaves a very uncomfortable feeling.

Published: June 09

Lately I've woke up with such a dry mouth that I can not swallow. I keep water on the night stand for such occasions, but sipping water throughout the night does not seem to help. Therefore I'm awake a large portion of the night.

Published: June 09

My dry mouth only occurs at night and has been a symptom for about three months. I occasional use some form of decongestant and had for a short time used Claritin nightly for about two weeks to stop a post nasal drip that made me cough. During the day there seems to be no problem, perhaps because I drink more water regularly.

Published: June 09

I was diagnosed 9 months ago with Parkinsons Disease ("PD"). One of the medications I am taking (Azilect) lists, among others, a side effect of dry mouth. The PD itself I believe can cause dry mouth also. My mouth gets so dry at times that my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth. My tongue is constantly sore - like it was scalded - and I am forever getting a membrane type of coating over the roof of my mouth too which is a dog of a thing to shift. Dry lips, coated tongue, bad breath etc all seem to be part of the package. My teeth aren't the strongest, so I try to avoid chewing gum too much, and now use mint sweets to suck on. It only helps slightly. Any ideas or advice out there?

Published: June 09

My throat is so dry at night that i must keep water or juice at my bedside. also I keep chewing gum handy. This condition interferes with my sleep so I stay tired. I caugh constantly sometimes to the point of becoming dizzy and losing my breath. I must constantly take caugh medicine. I have to sleep with my head elevated. Doctors have been no help.

Published: July 10

I was getting dry mouth worse and worse as time went by, until it finally got to the point that my mouth was literally sticking together and was not easy to open. I was sent to a sleep center, and it turned out that I had sleep apnea and was also sleeping with my mouth open most of the night.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter