Patient Comments: Dry Eyes - Treatment

Please describe the treatments you received for dry eyes. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Sue, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 17

My daughter just turned 25. For her whole 20s she has had severe chronic dry eyes, seen all kinds of doctors, specialists, and tried all kinds of treatments, supplements, medications, all without relief. She woke multiple times every night with pain and needing more eye drops. A long story with a happy ending at last. We delved into the hormonal connection, even though the endocrinologist declined doing so. It was natural progesterone cream that restored her moisture, it makes perfect sense; the science is out there. Had any doctors thought to look into her hormonal balance, this would have avoided years of misery. I would advise any female with this problem to check on their hormones. Years of pain and financial drain, and the whole time the solution was available in an affordable bottle of lotion right off the shelf. Incredible. It only took a couple days to start working too. Four weeks now she has not required eye drops, it's for real. This whole time it was simply hormones. It is not enough to chase after symptoms, you want to get at the cause to find effective relief.

Comment from: Cindy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

My dry eye suffering is over. I discovered the new prescription Xiidra eye drops and they have resolved my problems. I do not even have to use over the counter eye drops anymore.

Comment from: gandhi, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I have been suffering from this dry eye syndrome for about more than 5 years now. I can"t find proper relief. I read this article and learned a lot. I hope my condition gets better. I have been using lubricants and Add Tears.

Comment from: Jackie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I had dry eye symptoms occur twice within 10 days, it will be my fifth episode this year. I have discovered that aloe vera (can be a little itchy) works wonders along with a wet herbal tea bag.

Comment from: Skippy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

@Lisa ... the article did talk about all the things you mentioned. I'm surprised you didn't see it if you read the entire article.

Comment from: optsea3, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

The punctual inserts fell out the first and second days and eye drops proved ineffective.

Comment from: Siraj, Male (Patient) Published: August 29

I have been suffering from this dry eye syndrome for about more than 3 years now. I can't find proper relief. I read this article and learned a lot. I hope my condition gets better. I have been using lubricants and anti-allergy but all in vain.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I'm surprised the article didn't mention three other treatments that are very effective for many people: daily use of lid scrubs that help unclog the oil glands located along the inside edge of the lower lid, taking a fish oil (or other high quality EFAs) supplement every day, and using a humidifier in the bedroom if you live in a dry climate. I am able to manage my dry eyes by doing these things, even though I also take antihistamines every day.

Comment from: busy bee, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 12

I drive a bus, sometimes on really long trips. In winter the defroster is on. At home I use a wood stove for heat. A lot of times on trips I don't get home until 2 or 3 a.m. I use systane eye drops. I get annual optometry checkups and have 20/20 vision. I am finding I have to use it several times while night driving.

View the Eye Diseases and Conditions Slideshow Pictures