Patient Comments: Drug Abuse - Treatments

What help or treatments did you or a friend seek for drug abuse or addiction? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: JanelleP, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

My sister went to Serenity Acres. It is a drug and alcohol treatment center. Before she went in, she was drinking and using drugs every day. It was so bad that she would steal from me and my dad. She went to Serenity Acres for 60 days. And when she came home, it was the first time she was like herself in years. I am so grateful. She told me that she did all sorts of cool activities while she was there. She said she went horseback riding, and zip lining. She goes to Narcotics Anonymous (NA) meetings now, and is really involved in recovery. I have never seen her so happy!

Comment from: healthworker1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have just put myself into a pain management program to detox and find other ways to treat the fibro pain. I was up to 180 mg-220 mg of oxycodone per day. I felt fine but knew I could not work this way much longer.

Comment from: Lahunken, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 15

Here is the withdrawal buffer secret: Hydrophilic (water loving) substances clear out of the system fast so that if that substance has effects, the body reacts against those effects like a pendulum swinging the opposite way, and that is called withdrawal. But, if a substance is lipophilic (fat loving), or part of a lipophilic compound, that substance will linger in the system for a very long time. For example, the common miserable dopamine blockers are lipophilic, and their miserable effects last for months. So, if a pleasant substance is lipophilic, or in a lipophilic compound, its pleasurable effects will also last for months, wearing off very slowly when it is unavailable, so there will be no unpleasant withdrawal symptoms.

Comment from: 555.9, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I attended a four week day program, and was off to a good start. Unfortunately, there is virtually no place to go for follow-up treatment and support. Patients go from the structured program right back into their old routines and situations unaided.

Comment from: Grateful, 25-34 Female Published: December 08

I went to two months of outpatient treatment while attending N.A. meetings. Finally I was able to get into the inpatient house. I stayed for 5 out of 6 months. I left early and began attending meetings immediately, found someone to be a sponsor, worked (still work) steps. Took the suggestions people (with clean time) gave me. I have 2 1/2 years clean. If I can do it--anyone can.

Prescription Drug Abuse Statistics