Patient Comments: Down Syndrome - Diagnosis

Did you have special screening tests for Down syndrome during your pregnancy? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 11

I was 23 when I had my 2nd child who was born with Down's. I subsequently had a third child who did not have Down's. There have been no known instances of a Down's child in either my side or my husband"s before or since. My two other children have three children each. One is autistic, the other five are normal. My daughter with Down's is now thirty. She lives with my husband and me.

Comment from: Grace, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I conceived my son at age 22. It was only after he was born that my dad told me he has a sister with Down syndrome. Apparently my age was not a factor. Could I be a carrier? And what are the odds that my daughter, whom I had at 21, is also a carrier?

Comment from: linda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I was told by my doctor's office that my blood results were in and that they needed to speak to me about my blood test results. (I think) that they read the chances are 1 to 11%. I don't know if that's really bad.

Comment from: cyroman1, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 20

I was 22 when our second child was born with Downs syndrome. In the prenatal clinic, I was told my AFP levels were low and an amniocentesis was offered. This I refused as abortion was not an option for me. Our son is now 24 years old and attends an adult day program for intellectually challenged people. He is a happy young man, active, athletic, and a music lover. He is still working on verbal skills and recently became an iPod owner, which we hope will help him with his verbal skills.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Children's Health & Parenting Newsletter