Patient Comments: Down Syndrome - Symptoms

What Down syndrome symptoms does your child exhibit? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Grammylovesjosh, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 18

Our grandson is ten. He was born with many health issues. The doctors did not give his parents much hope for survival. He had heart problems, club feet, crossed eyes, hearing difficulties and stomach and thyroid issues. He is thriving and bright. He swims, rides his bike, plays ball, runs, and dances and is a joy to be around.

Comment from: sophie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I have the same thing with Down's syndrome because I was born with it, and because of my shyness and social anxiety that I had when I was super little.

Comment from: Christine, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 16

My older sister has Down syndrome. She turned 41 this April. She has been very healthy all her life. She loves family and her soaps. Doctors told my mom that she will not till grow older than 4, but she certainly proved them wrong.

Comment from: latiba, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 17

I have a 22 year old daughter and of late I have notice that she has started to make strange facial expression, she rocks, hums and is flexing both arms a lot.

Comment from: kimberly, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 01

My third child is a down syndrome. The problem is her speech and her menstruation stops for almost a year. She's 18 years old.

Comment from: aziz, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 25

My son 2.5 years is diagnosed as Down Syndrome. He has mild hole in the heart. His weight and height is normal and is also sharp minded but he doesn't speak yet. He stands up himself and tries to walk for two or three steps. His treatment is being carried out through the Children Hospital.

Comment from: Blessed, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 25

My child is four years old. He just starting jumping this year. He speaks around ten words verbally but he signs more than ten. He can run, walk up and down stairs without help, eat most foods without assistance. He smiles a lot and to me he is strong and smart. I hope this helps someone. He is a wonderful gift from God!

Comment from: 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

We have a beautiful 9 year old little down syndrome girl. She has a mind of her own very stubborn, loves to dance, and loves to chat on skype to her grandparents. She has limited speech but great signs. Her health is not so good. She is ventilated at night and has sensory and mobility problems. But every day she lights up my world. She is always smiling and never moans even when she is ill. She fights with her brother. We where told she would never walk, feed herself, or go to the toilet. But every day we push her that much harder and she slowly gets there. My advice to others is never give up as my life would be very boring and empty without my little princess.

Comment from: Blessed, Female (Caregiver) Published: December 02

Comment from: 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 25

Comment from: denise, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 08

My brother has Down syndrome and I have noticed that he has the same ways and moods like everybody else, he also gets cross, he also wants his way, he only listens when he wants to, and is very good at playing on my feelings.

Comment from: jet the mother, 3-6 Female Published: March 02

My daughter is now 4 years old and has Down syndrome. She's a very happy child, she's attending occupational and speech therapy right now. She's a very bright child, she's trying to follow what her sister and brother do -- not only at playtime, but every time when the three of them are together. She's a joy in our family.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 02

My daughter was born with Down syndrome in 1965. She was always at home, always went with our family when we went out -- on vacation to church, etc. She was socially interactive with family and friends because of the association with others. In 2008 she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease and she declined quickly over a 2 week time frame and died in 2010.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Children's Health & Parenting Newsletter