Get the facts on Down syndrome, a genetic disorder caused by an additional set of chromosomes in a developing fetus. Down syndrome signs and symptoms include:
- distinctive facial features,
- growth retardation, and
- decreased mental function and IQ.
Related Disease Conditions
Leukemia is a type of cancer of the blood cells in which the growth and development of the blood cells are abnormal. Strictly...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Hypothyroidism is any state in which thyroid hormone production is below normal. Normally, the rate of thyroid hormone...
Eustachian Tube Problems (Ear Tube Dysfunction, Blockage)
The Eustachian tube is a membrane lined tube that connects the middle ear space to the back of the nose. Symptoms of Eustachian...
The definition of a genetic disease is a disorder or condition caused by abnormalities in a person's genome. Some types of...
There are a variety of diseases and conditions that can cause tongue problems, discoloration, and soreness. Though most tongue...
Glaucoma is a common eye condition in which the fluid pressure inside the eye rises because of slowed fluid drainage from the...
The joint hypermobility syndrome is a condition in which the joints easily move beyond the normal range expected for a particular...
Scoliosis causes an abnormal curvature of the spine. When the cause of scoliosis is unknown the disorder is described based on...
Dementia is defined as a significant loss of intellectual abilities such as memory capacity, severe enough to interfere with...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Alzheimer's disease is a common cause of dementia. Symptoms and warning signs of Alzheimer's disease include memory loss,...
A cataract is an eye disease that causes the eye's lens to become cloudy and opaque with decreased vision. Causes of cataracts...
Sleep apnea is defined as a reduction or cessation of breathing during sleep. The three types of sleep apnea are central apnea,...
Turner syndrome is an inherited chromosomal condition affecting women. Women with Turner syndrome do not have ovarian function,...
Microcephaly is a genetic condition where the circumference of the head is smaller than normal due to underdeveloped brain....
Blindness is the state of being sightless. Causes of blindness include macular degeneration, stroke, cataract, glaucoma,...
Klinefelter syndrome, also referred to as XXY condition, is a genetic disease. Klinefelter syndrome affects mostly males....
Dislocated Ankle (Ankle Dislocation)
Symptoms and signs of a dislocated ankle include pain, swelling, bruising, ankle deformity, and possible numbness and tingling in...
Pregnancy planning is an important step in preparation for starting or expanding a family. Planning for a pregnancy includes:...
Autism Spectrum Disorder (In Children and Adults)
Autism in children and adults is a developmental disorder, characterized by impaired development in communication, social...
Fragile X Syndrome
Fragile X syndrome is the most common inherited form of mental retardation. It's caused by a mutation on the X chromosome. People...
Hirschsprung Disease (Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments)
Hirschsprung disease is an inherited condition that is present at birth (congenital) in which the nerves of parts of the large...
Fast-food consumption and lack of exercise are just a couple of causes of childhood obesity. Health effects of childhood obesity...
Congenital Heart Defects
Congenital heart defects are heart problems that are present at birth. Genetics may play a role in some heart defects. Symptoms...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Your health care provider may refer you to a genetic professional. Universities and medical centers also often have affiliated...
Noonan syndrome is a genetic disorder that causes birth defects (congenital malformations) such as short stature, caved-in...
Spina Bifida and Anencephaly (Neural Tube Defects)
Spina bifida is the most common neural tube defect in the United States. There are four types of spina bifida; 1) occulta, 2)...
Cystic hygroma is a birth defect that may be apparent while a fetus is still in the womb. It is a malformation of the lymphatic...
Childhood Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL)
Childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia is the most common type of cancer in children. Symptoms and signs include fever, easy...
Strabismus (Crossed Eyes)
Strabismus, or crossed eyes, is a condition in which the eyes do not align in the usual way. The condition may be congenital or...
Down Syndrome - Symptoms
What Down syndrome symptoms does your child exhibit?Post View 24 Comments
Down Syndrome - Diagnosis
Did you have special screening tests for Down syndrome during your pregnancy?Post View 8 Comments
Down Syndrome - Causes
What caused your Down syndrome?Post
Down Syndrome - Experience
Please describe your experience with Down syndrome.Post View 8 Comments
Treatment & Diagnosis
Prevention & Wellness
- Disabled Kids at Higher Risk of Abuse, Study Finds
- Down Syndrome May Not Be Big Financial Burden on Families
- Dad's Role in Baby's Health Larger Than Thought?
- Kids of Older Moms May Have a Leg Up on Their Peers
- Rural Kids Face Special Challenges When Seriously Ill: Study
- Most Families Cherish a Child With Down Syndrome, Survey Finds
- Gene Abnormality May Be Key to Down Syndrome, Scientists Say
- Genetic Abnormality May Explain Health Complications of Down Syndrome
- Fetal Tissue Research: FAQ
- Fetal DNA Test May Also Help Spot Mom's Cancer, Study Finds
- Brain Scans Give Clues to Link Between Alzheimer's, Down Syndrome
- Newer Test for Down Syndrome Called 'Major Advance'
- A Better Test for Down Syndrome?
- Plastics Chemical BPA May Harm Human Fertility: Study
- Birth Defect Risk Doubles in Children Born to Cousins: Study
- U.S. Children's Hospitals Treating More Complex, Expensive Conditions
- Prenatal Test Presents Dilemmas to Expectant Mothers
- Animal Study Ties Common Chemical to Reproductive Problems
- Father's Age Linked to Autism
- Blood Test May Spot Genetic Disease in Fetuses
- New Earlier, Noninvasive Paternity Test Developed
- Blood Test Detects Down Syndrome During Pregnancy
- Birth Defects Seem Rare in Kids of Childhood Cancer Survivors
- Progress Toward Blood Test for Down Syndrome
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Children's Health & Parenting Newsletter