Domestic violence, or intimate partner abuse, is when one person in an intimate relationship uses any means to control the other person. It may take many forms, including emotional, psychological, physical, sexual, or economic abuse. Risk factors for domestic violence include drug and alcohol abuse, unemployment, and having a relationship with the victim. Part of treating domestic violence involves keeping the victim safe and developing a safety plan for home and the workplace. Read more: Domestic Violence Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Addicted to Pills: The Health Risks of Drug Abuse
What is drug abuse? Learn about prescription drug abuse and over-the-counter (OTC) drugs, including depressants, pain relievers,...
Alcohol Abuse: 12 Health Risks of Chronic Heavy Drinking
Read about the health risks of chronic heavy or binge drinking. Anemia, cancer, gout, cardiovascular disease and many more...
Teen Drug Abuse: Warning Signs, Statistics, and Facts
Teen drug abuse is a growing concern today. Learn statistics, facts, warning signs, and effects related to teen substance abuse...
Prescription Drug Abuse: Know The Warning Signs
Learn about prescription drug abuse facts and statistics about the dangers and misconceptions of abusing common prescription...
Related Disease Conditions
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Approximately 40 million children suffer abuse every year around the world, and more than 1,500 children die of abuse in the U.S....
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Drug addiction is a chronic disease that causes drug-seeking behavior and drug use despite negative consequences to the user and...
Cocaine and Crack Abuse
Cocaine is an addictive stimulant that is smoked, snorted, and injected. Crack is cocaine that comes in a rock crystal that is...
Mental health is an optimal way of thinking, relating to others, and feeling. All of the diagnosable mental disorders fall under...
There are many forms of sexual assault, including rape, attempted rape, child molestation, sexual intercourse that you say no to,...
Shaken Baby Syndrome (Abusive Head Trauma)
Shaken baby syndrome, or abusive head trauma, is the condition that describes the symptoms and signs that result from the violent...
Compulsive gambling is a disorder that affects millions in the U.S. Symptoms and signs include a preoccupation with gambling,...
Domestic Violence - Warning Signs and Symptoms
What types of domestic abuse did you or a friend experience, and what were the warning signs?Post View 4 Comments
Domestic Violence - Safety Plans
As a victim of domestic violence, a safety plan is essential. What is yours or your friend's?Post
Domestic Violence - Laws
Please discuss legal action or protection that has assisted you with partner abuse.Post
Domestic Violence - Prevention
In what ways have you helped prevent domestic abuse, either personally or for a friend or relative?Post View 4 Comments
Domestic Violence - Getting Help
Which groups or organizations have helped you or a friend get support for domestic violence?Post
Treatment & Diagnosis
Prevention & Wellness
- Dating Violence Tied to Spankings in Childhood
- Teens' Painkiller Misuse Linked to Dating Violence
- Alcoholic Parent May Sow Seeds for Teen Dating Violence
- State Policies Can Reduce Alcohol-Related Murders
- Gun Surrender Laws Help Women Threatened by Domestic Violence
- Most Murdered U.S. Women Killed By Husbands, Boyfriends, Exes
- Health Tip: Thinking About Psychological Therapy?
- The Childhood Incidents That Increase Later Suicide Risk
- Family Rejection Triples Risk for Suicide Attempts by Transgender People: Study
- Link Between Money Woes, Domestic Abuse Tough to Untangle
- Racial Gaps in Homicide Victim Rates Changing
- Violence May Raise a Woman's Risk for Stroke
- Frequent Monitoring May Keep Alcohol Offenders Sober
- Abused Women Struggle With More Severe Menopause Symptoms: Study
- Disaster Aftereffects May Linger for Children
- U.S. Violent Crime Rate Drops Significantly Since 1980s
- Childhood Trauma Tied to Migraine Risk as Adult
- Do Certain Medicines Raise Murder Risk?
- Tougher Alcohol Laws for Adults May Also Lower Teen Drinking
- Childhood Abuse, Neglect Linked to High Blood Pressure in Adulthood
- Teens Seen in ERs for Assault at Risk for Later Gun Violence: Study
- Childhood Trauma May Raise Odds of Asthma
- Child Sex Trafficking Victims Easily Missed by Doctors, Social Workers: Study
- Restraining Order Often Costly for Women
- 1 in 5 U.S. Teen Girls Physically or Sexually Abused While Dating
- Strong Neighborhood Bonds, Less Gun Violence?
- Fewer Bars and Liquor Stores, Less Domestic Violence: CDC
- Research Questions Link Between Media Violence, Violent Behavior
- Health Tip: Why People Seek Counseling
- 1 in 5 U.S. Men Admits to Violence Against Spouse, Partner
- 'Elder Abuse' Often Involves Finances, Study Finds
- 1 in 6 Teens Treated in ER Has History of Dating Violence: Study
- Substance Use at School Could Be Cry for Help
- Study Outlines Emotional Impact of Domestic Violence on Kids
- 7 Things We Know Now About Obamacare
- For Young Couples, Violence Can Harm Both Sides
- Survival Rates Similar After Accidents, Acts of Violence: Study
- Alcohol Tied to Domestic Violence on College Campuses
- Abused Women Vulnerable to Unsafe Sex Practices
- Study Suggests Link Between Domestic Violence, Abortions
- Crimes Against Women Grossly Underestimated, Report Says
- Bone Doctors May Miss Signs of Domestic Abuse, Survey Finds
- Parental Stress, Domestic Violence May Affect Kids' Development: Study
- Domestic Violence Travels Down Through Generations, Study Finds
- Stalking Can Take Mental Toll on Victims, Study Confirms
- Silence, Inaction May Compound Problem of Domestic Violence: Survey
- Drinking Locations Factor Into Partner Violence, Study Says
- 1 in 3 Young Americans Has Suffered Dating Violence: Survey
- 1 in 3 Women Worldwide Suffers Abuse From Partner: Review
- Bullied Kids More Likely to Self-Harm as Teens
- Many U.S. Kids Victims of Violence, Abuse: Survey
- When Teen Dating Turns Abusive and Violent
- Same-Sex Relationships Pose Abuse Risks, Too
- Health Tip: Watch for Signs of Elder Abuse
- Elder Abuse Tied to Higher Hospitalization Rates
- Many Teens Afraid to Intervene in Sexual Assault, Survey Finds
- Poll Finds Broad Support for Tougher Gun Laws
- Many Women Victims of 'Contraceptive Sabotage,' Experts Say
- Task Force Urges Routine Screening of Women for Domestic Violence
- Mental Disorders Linked With Domestic Violence, Study Says
- Teen Dating Violence Linked to Substance Abuse, Depression
- Violence in a Soldier's Past May Up PTSD Risk
- Abused Elderly Likely to Have Brain, Head and Neck Injuries
- Health Tip: Considering Counseling?
- Alcoholism Treatment Saves Families Money
- Routine Screening Won't Cut Rates of Domestic Violence, Study Suggests
- U.S. High Schools Lax in Preventing Dating Abuse: Study
- Screening Women for Domestic Violence Could Help Prevent Abuse
- Leaded Gas Exposure Linked to Later Violence: Study
- Kids Exposed to Bullying and Violence May Age Faster
- Troubled Homes May Fuel Obesity in Girls
- Emotional Trauma May Hurt Toddlers' Later Learning
- Disabled Adults More Apt to Be Victims of Violence: Study
- Brain Development Harmed in Mistreated Kids
- Neurologists Should Screen Patients for Abuse: Experts
- No More Co-pay for Birth Control
- Domestic Abuse Often Escapes Notice of ER Staff: Study
- Many Adults Report Troubled Childhood Experiences
- Gulf Oil Spill May Leave Emotional Wounds
- Screening May Not Lessen Domestic Violence
- Domestic Violence Harms Long-Term Health of Victims
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter