Can you lose weight by having sex?
That’s not all, though: sex can change how you look and feel and can improve your overall well-being.
Benefits of sex
Besides being enjoyable, safe sex is healthy and beneficial to your body.
Both men and women experience sexual intercourse differently. However, both men and women can benefit from sex in various ways:
- Sex triggers the production of hormones such as oxytocin and prolactin that help your body relax. This relaxation effect may help lower your blood pressure.
- Safe sex can help your body develop a better immune system.
- Having sex also has psychological benefits like improving self-esteem.
- Sex helps to improve your mental health status by reducing anxiety and depression.
- Sexual intercourse triggers the release of hormones that can act as pain-relievers.
- Sexual activity with your partner goes a long way toward boosting the intimate connection between the two of you.
- Sex can help you reduce emotional and physiological stress.
- Sex involves using your pelvic floor muscles. For women, exercising these muscles greatly improves bladder control. When you have better bladder control, you can avoid incontinence, a common bladder control issue affecting many women.
- If you’re a man, having sex regularly may help you avoid prostate cancer.
- Sexual intercourse involves working most of your muscles, which is good for blood circulation.
- The thrill of having sex strengthens your heart.
- Hormones released during sex might help you sleep better.
Does sex make you gain weight?
Sex, as a form of exercise, can help you shed weight and keep fit. On average, you can burn approximately 85 to 150 or more calories in a single sexual encounter. Generally, men may burn more calories compared to women, since they are more likely to be more physically active during sex.
Tips for burning more calories during sex
If you’re looking to burn more calories during sex, consider using some of these tactics with your partner:
- Try having sex in different positions. In most cases, men burn more calories than women during sex. If you are a woman looking to burn more calories, try using your core muscles and moving your hips more next time you get on top.
- Consider sighing and moaning more. You might elevate your heartbeat and burn more calories this way.
- Consider fusing squats with sex. Working your thighs and glutes will help you burn more calories.
- Fuse push-ups with sex. When your partner is lying on their back, get into the push-up position and try kissing them every time you go down.
- Dance for your partner. Foreplay is a great part of sex and can be good exercise.
- Embrace sweating. Steamy sex is more intimate and good for your body.
- Include massages. Apart from being sensual, a massage will help improve blood flow to your muscles. This will also make you feel more energized for sex.
- Consider deep penetration. If your partner is okay with it, you can try certain positions that allow deeper penetration. It will involve working more muscles, which will really help if you are trying to burn more calories.
Common causes of gaining weight
Several contributing factors that might make you gain weight after sex, on the other hand, include:
Hyperprolactinemia. This is due to high levels of prolactin secretion. Prolactin is a hormone found in both men and women, and it is released after having orgasmic sex and during breastfeeding. After an orgasm, your body releases this hormone to help you sleep. If your body produces this hormone in excess quantities, you might gain weight and develop other conditions.
Low testosterone. Testosterone hormone is the main sex hormone in men. It has various uses in the male body like building muscles, promoting hair growth, and deepening the voice. Men with low testosterone levels, though, are more prone to gaining weight unlike men with high testosterone. When your body is unable to build muscle, it stores excess calories as fat. Higher testosterone levels reduce the chances of storing fat.
High estrogen. Estrogen helps you regulate the reproductive system. High estrogen levels in your body, though, can make you gain weight.
Processed foods. Consuming too many processed foods can make you gain excessive weight. Some processed foods might resemble organic food but are made tastier with more sugars. Processed sugars are empty calories that make you gain weight.
High sugar intake. Sugar is not only potentially addictive but also a hormone disruptor. High sugar intake can change your natural metabolism by increasing your insulin levels or making you insulin-resistant. Ultimately, this metabolic disruption can lead to excessive weight gain.
Consuming inaccurate information. There is a lot of inaccurate information all over the world regarding weight-loss schemes. Quick weight-loss marketing gimmicks might mislead you into consuming harmful products that can adversely affect your health.
Latest Sexual Health News
Daily Health News
Side effects of excess weight gain in sexual function
Weight gain issues can affect your sexual function if not kept in check. An Impact of Weight on Quality of Life-Lite (IWQOL-lite) survey shows that a high body mass index (BMI) affects sexual function due to physical health-related issues.
Other side effects of excessive weight gain include:
- Limiting how your body produces sexual hormones like testosterone.
- Exposing you to psychosocial issues such as depression.
- Affecting your body image. If you don’t like how you look, you might feel insecure having sex.
- Medications like antihypertensives and antidepressants might, due to weight-related health issues, affect your sexual performance.
- Predisposing you to cardiovascular health conditions.
Excess weight can affect your sex life directly or indirectly by causing hormonal imbalance, metabolism disorders, and psychological issues. Consider visiting a doctor if your weight is affecting your sex life.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Current Sexual Health Reports: "Effect of Body Weight on Sexual Function in Men and Women."
Federal Trade Commission: "The Truth Behind Weight Loss Ads."
Healthywomen: "Calories Burned During Sex May Surprise You."
Institute of Endocrinology: "Increased body weight associated with prolactin-secreting pituitary adenomas: weight loss with normalization of prolactin levels."
Journal of World Obesity: "Testosterone and obesity."
New York University: "Americans Are Eating More Ultra-Processed Foods."
PLoS One: "Energy Expenditure during Sexual Activity in Young Healthy Couples."
Polish Journal of Food and Nutrition Sciences: "The Dose Makes the Poison: Sugar and Obesity in the United States."
The University Of Texas At El Paso: "10 Surprising Health Benefits of Sex."
The Journal of clinical investigation: "Obesity and insulin resistance."
Top Does Sex Make You Lose Weight or Gain Weight Related Articles
30 Reasons Why People Have SexSince ancient times, the reasons people have sex have been assumed to be few and simple. However, several proposed theories suggest reasons to perform the carnal act may be larger in number and psychologically complex.
4 Sex Topics You Should Discuss With Your PartnerOne-on-one contact, empathy, and emotional connections are all usually very important in establishing sexual intimacy. Four sex topics you should discuss with your partner include physical limitations, gender history, sexually transmitted diseases (STD), and religious upbringing.
Beat Belly FatCould your job be to blame for your belly fat? It might be, if it stresses you out. But there are a number of ways to get rid of it.
Do Men or Women Feel More Pleasure During Sex?Everyone feels pleasure differently during sex. Both men and women can feel great pleasure during sex.
Does Sex Make a Relationship Stronger?Safe sex in loving relationships leads to greater happiness and well-being for individuals and couples. It's not just sex that is important, though. Instead, it's the affection that sex brings to your relationship.
What Are the Four Phases of the Sexual Response Cycle?Sexual arousal is being sexually excited. Everyone’s sex drive is different, and there is no quantifying how much amounts to normal sex. Everyone’s sexual desire and interests are different and can change over time.
Is It Normal to Have Sex Every Day?Sex is known to be a proven stressbuster that elevates your mood instantly, and yes, it is completely normal to have sex every day. There are phases in life when you have sex more frequently.
Does sex really help you lose weight? While it’s not the most effective form of exercise for weight loss, it can burn calories and work for certain muscle groups.
How Can I Lose Weight Naturally?Explore 10 ways to lose weight naturally and promote overall health without relying on fad diets.
Obesity and OverweightGet the facts on obesity and being overweight, including the health risks, causes, reviews of weight-loss diet plans, BMI chart, symptoms, causes, surgical and nonsurgical treatments, and medications.
Sex & Love QuizRelationships, sex, and love! Could it be that what motivates physical attraction in us may be all in our minds? Take the Sex & Love Quiz to challenge yourself on healthy human sexuality!
Benefits of SexHow would you like a stronger immune system or better sleep? Action between the sheets can help you get all of this and more. Read on to discover the surprising health benefits of sex.
Surprising Causes of Weight GainThere are many reasons for sudden weight gain when there are no changes in diet or exercise. Learn to identify the cause of your sudden weight gain.
Weight Loss QuizAre you trying to lose weight? Take this quiz to see what you can add to routine to get on the right track for results!
Weight Loss Surgery QuizWhat happens after weight loss surgery? What should you eat? Take this quiz to learn about bariatric surgery. Are you a candidate?
What Ages Are Women and Men at Their Sexual Peak?Sexual peak refers to a period of your life when you are most capable of having frequent sex that is high in quality. Research suggests that women reach their sexual peak in their 30s whereas men peak in their late teens.
What Happens to Our Bodies During Sex?While engaging in sex or during masturbation, your body undergoes physical and emotional changes known as the sexual response cycle. You need to know the body’s response toward each phase of the cycle to enhance the relationship or identify the cause of sexual dysfunction.
Why Do Guys Lose Weight So Fast?Men tend to lose weight faster than women. The reason that men lose weight faster than women includes that women are hormonally wired to store more fat; men and women store fat differently; menstruation triggers stress eating; men lose more water weight than women; men have more muscle than women and other factors.