The concept that lemon water contains a miraculous weight-loss elixir is untrue. However, it has potential health benefits.
Lemon juice and water will not necessarily help you lose weight, but they will help you maintain a consistent and healthy gastrointestinal system. Many of the health benefits received by drinking lemon water could be obtained by just drinking more plain water.
According to the experts, lemon water could enhance weight loss due to its positive effects on satiety, hydration, and metabolism, but plain water offers similar effects without any negative side effects.
If you want to reduce weight, you should not rely solely on this combination. A balanced diet and regular exercise are required for any weight loss program to be effective.
However, if you do not see any change in weight over time, it is essential to consult a doctor or a nutritionist to get an appropriate diet and exercise plan and rule out any underlying medical conditions that may cause weight gain.
4 reasons why lemon water may help you lose weight
Lemon water could offer some benefits on your weight loss journey due to the following four reasons:
- Lemon water has diuretic properties; it increases urine output. As a result, you lose water weight rather than fat.
- Lemon juice with water as a detoxification method is plausible because lemons contain flavonoids, which have antioxidant characteristics and can cleanse, detoxify, and clear the intestines.
- However, most studies report that drinking lemon water should be accompanied by a nutritious diet and exercise to achieve weight loss goals.
- Vitamin C
- Lemon juice is high in vitamin C, which is beneficial for health and may help you burn fat.
- According to a study published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition, those with appropriate levels of vitamin C burn 30 percent more fat during high-intensity exercises than those with inadequate amounts.
- However, homemade lemon juice may not have enough vitamin C to burn fat, it may have a trace amount of vitamin C, which is helpful to your overall health.
- Fiber (pectin)
- Pectin in lemon juice is a type of fiber that may help avoid blood sugar spikes by prolonging the time for food to exit the intestine. Both might be beneficial to any weight-loss efforts.
- An adequate fiber (roughage) in the diet makes you feel fuller for longer, delaying hunger and reducing excessive snacking. However, this is by no means the main factor of effective weight loss. Most of the fiber and pectin, however, are in the peel rather than the juice.
- According to a study on mice, the antioxidants present in lemon help reduce weight gain in overfed mice. However, there is no conclusive scientific proof that lemon aids in weight loss in humans.
6 potential health benefits of drinking lemon water daily
Studies suggest that drinking lemon juice with lukewarm water first thing in the morning may have some advantages. Many of the beneficial effects of lemon water are due to the activity of vitamin C and the additional bioflavonoids (strong antioxidants).
- Good for skin
- Vitamin C prevents free radical damage, keeping your skin looking young and slowing the aging process.
- Getting enough vitamin C helps the body produce collagen, which is necessary for healthy skin.
- According to studies, including vitamin C regularly results in younger-looking skin with fewer wrinkles.
- May boost your energy levels and mood
- According to research, drinking lemon water in the morning and its aroma might help enhance energy and mood.
- Studies report that the negatively charged ions in lemons penetrate the digestive tract and may have a natural energy-boosting impact on the body.
- Boosts our immune system
- Vitamin C helps combat colds and illness, as well as reduces oxidative stress, which maintains the immune system active.
- Antioxidants help fight anything from the common cold to severe diseases, such as cancer, arthritis, and autoimmune disorders.
- Prevents kidney stones
- According to studies, drinking half a cup of lemon juice concentrate diluted in water each day or consuming the juice of two lemons raises urine citrate. As a result, the danger of kidney stones is reduced.
- The citric acid content breaks down kidney stones and prevents stone enlargement and formation.
- Fights cancer cells
- Great source of potassium
- Lemon water contains potassium, which is essential for your health.
- Low potassium levels have been linked to high blood pressure and heart disease.
- A glass of lemon water every day can boost potassium levels that help the body function properly.
What are the possible side effects of drinking lemon water daily?
Though having lemon water daily in the morning is typically considered healthy, overconsumption might be harmful due to its strong acidic content.
- Tooth enamel can dissolve if exposed to acidic foods, such as lemons, regularly. Use a straw to drink lemon water. Acidic drinks, such as lemon juice, might aggravate pre-existing mouth sores.
- Excessive vitamin C use might cause nausea and stomach discomfort.
- When consumed in excess, lemons and lemon juice can promote excessive urination, which can lead to dehydration.
- Lemons contain the amino acid, tyramine, which may cause migraines.
To reap the benefits of lemon water, drink it in moderation. To achieve the required daily amount of vitamin C, add other foods, such as oranges, peppers, blackcurrants, broccoli, and brussels sprouts.
You may improve the taste and nutrients by adding honey, ginger slices, or mint leaves to your lemon water.
- Kids With Autism Face Higher Odds of Vision Issues, But Many Don't Get Screened
- Mental Health Woes Double Women's Odds for Cervical Cancer
- Million-Person Study Finds Genes Common to Many Addiction Disorders
- Too Much Social Media Could Raise Risk for Eating Disorders
- Weaker Bones, Weakening Brain? Study Makes the Connection
- More Health News »
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Impact of Drinking Water on Weight Loss: A Review. https://globalresearchonline.net/journalcontents/v53-1/13.pdf
15 Healthy Ways to Use Lemons and Limes. https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/ss/slideshow-lemons-and-limes
Can Lemon Water Help With Weight Loss? https://www.aknd.ca/can-lemon-water-help-weight-loss/
Top Does Lemon Water Help You Lose Weight Related Articles
Diet and Nutrition: Foods That Are Good Sources of WaterDrinking water is one way to stay hydrated, but you can get a lot of water from food as well. Learn more from this WebMD slideshow.
Is It Better to Drink Cold Water or Room Temperature Water?The effects of drinking both room temperature and cold water vary by person, specifically by health, age, and the amount being consumed.
How Do I Know If My Drinking Water Is Safe?If you are drinking from a public source of water, the federal, state, or tribal jurisdiction responsible for it is required to tell you whether or not it has been contaminated. You know if your drinking water is safe by testing it for dissolved solids, VOCs, pesticides, and other compounds.
How Is the Water We Drink Made?Water is essential for your body to function efficiently. The water you drink from your tap or bottled water comes from a utility company—where it's treated and made safe for consumption.
Hydration QuizDo you know how much water you should be drinking on a daily basis? It may not be what you think. Take this quiz to learn how to stay hydrated.
Is Drinking Distilled Water Good or Bad for You?Distilled water is considered the purest form of water. There are both potential risks and benefits of drinking distilled water.
Is Drinking Water at Night Before Bed Bad for You?You need to drink water and you need sleep, but when and how much are equally disputed. Drinking too much water before bed can override this programming, causing potential problems with your sleep. But there are plenty of benefits to drinking water before bed, too, so let's look at both sides.
7 Ways Water Benefits the BodyDrinking water benefits digestion, metabolism, toxin elimination, and other functions. Water promotes weight loss and helps prevent dehydration. Health benefits of hydration include improvements in mood, skin health, and ability to work out.
The Best Times to Drink WaterBenefits of drinking water: general hydration, as an aid in brain function, to promote weight loss, to replace sweat loss after exercise, when you’re sick, and more.
What Are 5 Benefits of Drinking Water?The 5 benefits of drinking water are to maintain normal blood pressure, electrolyte balance, body temperature, prevent constipation, and improve your brain.
What Happens to Your Body When You Drink Enough Water?You might be surprised at how well your body works when you drink enough water. Find out exactly what can go right when you get your H2O.
What Is the Healthiest Water to Drink?Mineral water and alkaline water may be some of the healthiest types of water because they provide your body with essential nutrients
Why Is Drinking Water In The Morning So Important?Your body is 70% water, so it isn't surprising that you need to drink water every single day to maintain a healthy body. Drinking water in the morning is important because it helps your body recover from its nightly dehydration.
Will Drinking Water Help You Lose Weight?You need enough water every day to restore fluids you lose in daily life through your breath, sweat, digestion, and elimination. You'll often read that you should drink water to lose weight, but there isn't much evidence that this is true.