As per the American Heart Association, COVID-19 may have a long-term effect on the heart. Having a heart condition doesn't make a person more likely to catch COVID-19, but an individual with heart disease or a serious heart condition is more likely to become severely ill from COVID-19 and has a higher risk of death. Read more: Does COVID-19 Affect My Heart? Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Rosacea, Acne, Shingles, Covid-19 Rashes: Common Adult Skin Diseases
Learn to spot and treat skin conditions commonly found in adults such as acne, Covid-19 rashes, eczema, shingles, psoriasis,...
Coronavirus COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2): The Latest News, Updates and Information
See the latest news updates and information on the Coronavirus COVID-19 outbreak. Learn about symptoms, prevention, vaccines,...
Coronavirus COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) Pandemic Outbreak: What You Need to Know
A new strain of coronavirus (COVID-19, SARS-CoV-2) was reported from Wuhan, China in December, 2019. This outbreak of respiratory...
Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Prevention Quiz
Why is coronavirus considered dangerous? What are the symptoms you should look for? Take this COVID-19 prevention quiz to learn...
Coronavirus COVID-19 Prevention: Test Your Medical IQ
What's really the best way to prevent the spread of new coronavirus COVID-19? Should wear a mask or not? Take this quiz to find...
What Drugs May Fight COVID-19? Drug Trials, Treatments, Vaccines
What drugs could help fight coronavirus COVID-19? Clinical studies are ongoing for antiviral drugs like hydroxychloroquine,...
Related Disease Conditions
Can Diarrhea Be an Initial Symptom of COVID-19?
COVID-19 has become a common illness that affects many people. Learn the signs of COVID-19, what causes it, how doctors diagnose it, and what you can do to treat it.
COVID-19 (Coronavirus, 2019-nCoV)
Infection with COVID-19 (2019 novel coronavirus, 2019-nCoV) causes respiratory problems in humans. Transmission of COVID-19 occurs mainly through contact with respiratory sections from an infected person, however, fecal contamination may also spread the virus. Symptoms start off flu-like and progress to coughing, fever, shortness of breath, shaking chills, headache, loss of sense of taste and/or smell, muscle pain, and sore throat. Treatment focuses on supportive care and symptom relief. COVID-19 vaccines are available.
COVID-19 vs. Flu vs. Cold
When you're feeling sick, it can be difficult to distinguish the symptoms of a COVID-19 infection from the symptoms of the common cold or the flu (influenza). While fever is common with the flu and COVID-19, sneezing is typically only associated with colds. Though sore throats are typical with colds, they are uncommon with COVID-19 infections and the flu.
Can I Have COVID-19 and Fungal Infection at the Same Time?
One of those challenges is that bacterial and fungal infections can occur alongside COVID-19, especially in people whose cases are severe enough to put them in the ICU or who have existing comorbidities like diabetes or HIV.
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Prevention Tips
COVID-19 is a novel coronavirus that spreads from person to person via infected respiratory droplets. The main symptoms of COVID-19 infection include cough, fever, and shortness of breath. Occasionally, people infected with COVID-19 may experience diarrhea, a sore throat, a runny or stuffy nose, or aches and pains. Avoiding contact with infected people, social distancing, not touching your face, frequent hand washing, cleaning, and disinfecting of frequently touched surfaces can help to reduce your risk of contracting the 2019 novel coronavirus.
COVID-19 vs. Allergies
Though there is some overlap in allergy and COVID-19 signs and symptoms there are also significant differences. Symptoms that they have in common include headache, fatigue, tiredness, shortness of breath, wheezing, and sore throat. Fever does not occur with allergies but is one of the defining symptoms of COVID-19 infections.
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- COVID Death 11x More Likely for Unvaccinated
- Average COVID Hospitalization Is 150 Times More Expensive Than Vaccination
- US COVID Cases Now Top 40 Million
- Stop Use of Ivermectin for COVID-19: AMA, Pharmacist Groups
- Vaccine Power Against COVID Hospitalization Fades in Elderly
- Your Young Child Is Sick: Is it COVID or RSV?
- COVID Hospitalizations Hit 100,000 Daily Average in US
- Could a Long-Used Cholesterol Drug Fight Severe COVID-19?
- COVID Symptoms Haunt Nearly Half of Patients a Year Later
- Recent COVID-19 Raises Odds for Clots After Surgery by 90%
- Jesse Jackson, Wife Hospitalized With COVID
- Four Teachers in Same Florida County Die of COVID-19 Within 24 Hours
- New Clues to What Triggers Dangerous Syndrome in Kids With COVID
- New Orleans Jazz Fest Cancelled Over COVID Surge
- Record Number of COVID-19 Hospitalizations Seen in Florida
- Is It COVID? Early Signs May Differ by Age, Gender
- No Sign COVID Raises Odds for Preterm Delivery, Stillbirths
- Florida Sees Record Number of COVID Cases, Hospitalizations
- Mississippi Health System Buckles Under 'Astounding' Rise in COVID Cases
- Severe COVID for People Under 45: Who's Most at Risk?
- Long COVID May Qualify as a Disability: Biden
- COVID Drove Biggest Drop in U.S. Life Expectancy Since World War II
- Any COVID Infection Leaves Strong Antibody Levels in Kids
- More Than a Quarter of Long COVID Patients Still Not Recovered After 6 Months
- New COVID Cases Double in Past Three Weeks in U.S.
- Woman Infected With Two COVID-19 Variants at Once
- She Got Her Shots and Is Helping Other Seniors Rejoin Society
- More Air Pollution, Worse COVID Outcomes?
- Global Consortium Finds Genes That Drive Severe COVID-19
- COVID Death Toll Passes 4 Million Worldwide
- Fitness Trackers Are Revealing COVID's Long-Term Effects
- COVID Delta Variant Now Dominant U.S. Strain
- No Need for Blood Thinners in Patients Sick at Home With COVID-19
- CDC Advisers to Discuss Heart Problems in the Young After COVID Vaccination
- AHA News: Should Rare Cases of Heart Inflammation Put Your COVID-19 Vaccine Plans on Hold?
- Study Suggests COVID-19 Can Infect Testes
- Many Are Struck by New Maladies After COVID
- Bots Blamed for COVID Misinformation on Facebook
- 'Breakthrough' COVID Infections May Be Common in Vaccinated Transplant Patients
- Many Existing Drugs Could Be Potent COVID Fighters: Study
- Few Cases of Heart Inflammation in Big Ten Athletes with COVID-19
- Most Hospitalized COVID Patients Have Long-Haul Symptoms
- FDA Approves Third COVID Antibody Treatment for Emergency Use
- First Case of COVID-19 Triggering Recurrent Clots in Patient's Arm
- All COVID Infections Raise Odds for Lingering Symptoms
- Ibuprofen, Similar Painkillers Won't Raise Risks for COVID Patients
- WHO Increases Warning About Indian COVID-19 Variant
- COVID-19 Appears to Have No Lasting Impact on College Athletes' Hearts
- NYC, NJ and Connecticut to Ease Capacity Restrictions, Florida Ends All Restrictions
- Is an Antiviral Pill to Ease COVID Severity on the Way?
- COVID-19 and Diabetes Can Be a Deadly Mix
- COVID-19 Could Raise Odds for Heart Failure, Even in Those With No Prior Heart Risk
- Global COVID-19 Death Toll Surpasses 3 Million
- Health Care Workers More Likely to Catch COVID at Home, Not Workplace
- Does COVID Harm the Heart? New Study Says Maybe Not
- AHA News: What Parents Should Know About Rare But Scary COVID-19-Related Illness
- Many More Older Americans Willing to Get COVID Vaccine: Poll
- Obesity a Major Risk Factor for Severe COVID-19
- COVID Leaves Most Pro Athletes With No Lasting Heart Damage: Study
- New Coronavirus Variant Out of Brazil Now in 5 U.S. States
- AHA News: From Mild COVID-19 to Heart Failure in 4 Weeks – at Age 20
- More Than 87,000 Scientific Papers Already Published on COVID-19
- New Variants Mean COVID Vaccines, Tests May Need Tweaking: FDA
- COVID-Linked Loss of Smell, Taste Can Linger for Many Months
- 'What's Wrong With Me?' Young COVID Survivors Battle Long-Haul Symptoms
- A Third of COVID Survivors Have Long-Haul Symptoms, Even After Mild Cases
- Heart Damage Seen in Many Hospitalized COVID Patients: Study
- Many U.S. Troops Refusing COVID-19 Vaccination
- COVID-19 Caused U.S. Life Expectancy to Drop by 1 Year
- Maskless Tourists Could Pass COVID-19 to Wild Gorillas
- AHA News: Here's What Heart Patients Need to Know About COVID-19 in 2021
- Give Hospitalized COVID-19 Patients Blood Thinners to Help Save Lives: Study
- Heart Patients Avoiding Care During Pandemic: Survey
- AHA News: How Does COVID-19 Affect the Brain? Researchers Are Starting to Find Answers
- New Coronavirus Variants Spreading Across U.S.
- COVID Survivor's Plasma Saves His Mother-in-Law's Life
- COVID Has Big Impact on Heart Disease and Deaths
- Worse COVID Illness May Mean Stronger Immune Protection After
- Strong Blood Thinners May Help COVID Patients, But Degree of Illness Is Key
- Brazilian Coronavirus Variant Found in Minnesota
- How Dangerous Is Coronavirus to the Middle-Aged?
- UK Prime Minister Says British COVID Variant May Be More Deadly
- Even When Cancer Is in Remission, Patients' Risks of Severe COVID Rise
- When ICUs Near Capacity, COVID Patients' Risk for Death Nearly Doubles
- COVID Deaths Top 400,000, New Variants Worry Scientists
- California First State With Over 3 Million Coronavirus Cases
- Previous Coronavirus Infection May Confer Immunity for at Least 5 Months
- Shorter COVID Quarantine for College Athletes a Good Idea, Study Finds
- Even Mild Cases of COVID Can Leave 'Long-Haul' Illness, Study Shows
- Pandemic Is Tied to Big Rise in U.S. Heart Deaths
- Six Months Later, Most Wuhan COVID Survivors Still Have Health Issues
- Do Blood Pressure Meds Up Risk for COVID Patients?
- Record Number of COVID Cases, Deaths in U.S.
- Death Risk Nearly Doubles When COVID Strikes People With Heart Failure
- U.S. COVID Hospitalizations Reach Record High as California Hospitals Run Out of Oxygen
- First 10 Days After COVID Hospital Discharge Risky
- U.S. Hospitals Running Out of ICU Beds for COVID Patients
- AHA News: For Many People, Surviving COVID-19 Doesn't Mean Getting Better
- Heart Failure History Linked to Adverse Outcomes in COVID-19
- Heart Inflammation From COVID Less Common Than Thought
- Heart Defects Don't Increase Risk of Severe COVID-19
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter