Do rice cakes make you gain weight?
It is possible that rice cakes may make you gain weight. This is especially true if you eat several at a time and top them with unhealthy things.
Rice cakes are a snack food. They are disk-shaped products made of puffed rice (white or brown). They are low in calories (35 to 40 kcal per cake). Other minor ingredients, such as sesame seed, millet and salt may be added to give them a distinct flavor or consistency.
The low-calorie count of rice cakes may be a bonus, but they are not the best weight-loss food. Rice cakes digest quickly since they are devoid of a significant amount of fiber. The spike in blood sugar and insulin levels after ingestion of rice may cause weight gain. Rice cakes may not give a feeling of satiety if a person is just eating one or two rice cakes. Some flavored rice cakes also have added sugars, salt, calories and artificial ingredients. Choose rice cakes made with brown or whole-grain rice because these will be more filling. Carbs can make an individual hungry, so combine rice cakes with a protein source, such as ham, low-fat cream cheese with smoked salmon or a little peanut butter. The nutritional value of rice cakes depends on how an individual is eating them.
- Plain rice cakes may be topped with just honey, hummus, avocado and veggies.
- Eating them with nut butter or hummus can up the nutritional intake and slow down the release of sugar into the bloodstream.
- Top rice crackers with tuna or tomato rather than Vegemite or jam to stabilize blood sugar levels and control appetite.
- Look for the healthier ones made from whole grains and seeds, which increase the fiber and nutrient content. Rice cakes with whole grains, seeds and seaweed make them higher in fiber, nutrients and taste than traditional white cakes.
What are the advantages of including rice cakes in the diet?
The advantages of including rice cakes in the diet may vary depending on brand and other artificially added flavors.
- Rice cakes may be a great alternative to high-calorie and high-fat snacks.
- Rice cakes have become a staple diet food. They are large, round, crunchy and bland. They promise a quick snack that can satisfy cravings without the guilt.
- Rice cakes are a high source of carbs and are low in fat. To make them a tempting food for children, you can dunk rice cakes in milk and eat them with a scoop of ice -cream.
- Rice cakes are also considered a good snack because they are usually cheap and easily available. They are easy to store and most people use them as emergency snacks or for desk lunches.
- Rice cakes are a good calorie alternative to bread. When kick starting a weight loss program, rice cakes make for an easy bread alternative. Most people consider rice cakes to be a safe diet food because they do not have fat or many calories. They tend to be free from saturated fat. The total calories will vary based on the brand and type of rice cake. In general, one rice cake tends to have 60 to 70 calories. People on a diet often eat these cakes to fight cravings for crunchy foods, such as chips.
- They are usually gluten free, so they don’t cause bloating or indigestion. Rice cakes are an easily digestible food with the main component being starch.
What are the disadvantages of including rice cakes in the diet?
The disadvantages of including rice cakes in diet include
- Rice is a high glycemic index grain even when it's eaten as a whole grain (brown), so it may spike blood sugar levels. Some brands add sugar or corn syrup to their rice cakes.
- Most rice cakes do contain added salt. Individuals at risk for heart disease should reduce their intake of sodium and limit the intake of rice cakes.
- They are not nutrient-dense foods and are not considered a healthy replacement. Even though their primary ingredient is whole-grain brown rice, rice cakes are low in total nutritional value.
- The preparatory process makes rice cakes difficult to digest physically and chemically. Rice cakes become hard and sticky when cold and they are not easily dissolved in hot water.
If an individual wants to try rice cakes as a snack, they may top them with some peanut butter, cream cheese or another spread that contains fat and protein, so that blood glucose levels do not spike. Avoid rice cakes with added corn syrup, honey, sucrose or fructose.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Clinical Nutrition Research
Cereal Grains for the Food and Beverage Industries
Top Do Rice Cakes Make You Gain Weight Related Articles
Beat Belly FatCould your job be to blame for your belly fat? It might be, if it stresses you out. But there are a number of ways to get rid of it.
Boost Your MetabolismLosing weight by increasing your metabolism is challenging. There are many metabolism myths and only a few surefire tricks to get your body to shed unwanted pounds. Learn whether caffeine, water, weight lifting, or anything else can be useful in boosting metabolism for weight loss.
Habits to Lose WeightHere are the best ways for men and women to lose weight. Fast facts from experts show weight loss is possible for everyone trying to lose weight. From calories to fitness, learn these weight loss tips and win your battle with losing weight.
Why Can’t I Lose Weight?Finding it difficult to lose weight? It’s a hard thing to do, and there are some surprising reasons you may not be losing weight as quickly as you hope. From sleep cycles to calorie counts, health food fakers to prescription drugs, learn many of the stumbling blocks that can prevent you from reaching your health goals.
Weight Loss QuizAre you trying to lose weight? Take this quiz to see what you can add to routine to get on the right track for results!