In 2019, a new coronavirus strain named COVID-19 (or 2019-nCoV) began causing severe respiratory illness and sometimes fatal pneumonia throughout the world. This new coronavirus originated in Wuhan, China. The new coronavirus spreads rapidly via the inhalation of respiratory droplets from infected people. Face masks cannot prevent airborne virus protection, they're difficult to wear for long stretches of time, and you must dispose of the mask after touching it. Read more: Do Face Masks Offer Protection From the New Coronavirus? Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Wuhan Coronavirus Outbreak (COVID-19, 2019-nCoV): 10 Things You Need to Know
The 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19, 2019-nCoV) outbreak from Wuhan, China is a flu-like virus possibly spread to humans from...
Wuhan Coronavirus COVID-19: Test Your IQ of Infectious Diseases
Why is coronavirus considered dangerous? What are symptoms you should look for? Take this quiz to learn how to protect yourself.
Related Disease Conditions
Pneumonia (Symptoms, Causes, Types, Treatment, and Recovery)
Pneumonia is inflammation of the lungs caused by fungi, bacteria, or viruses. Symptoms and signs include cough, fever, shortness of breath, and chills. Antibiotics treat pneumonia, and the choice of the antibiotic depends upon the cause of the infection.
Wuhan Coronavirus (2019-nCoV, COVID-19)
Infection with the Wuhan coronavirus (COVID-19, 2019-nCoV) causes respiratory problems in humans. Transmission of COVID-19 occurs mainly through contact with respiratory sections from an infected person, however, fecal contamination may also spread the virus. Symptoms start off flu-like and progress to coughing, fever, and shortness of breath. Treatment focuses on supportive care and symptom relief.
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such as asthma, allergic rhinitis, sinus infection, cigarette smoking, GERD, postnasal drip, bronchitis, pneumonia, medications, and less frequently tumors or other lung disease. Chronic cough treatment is based on the cause, but may be soothed natural and home remedies.
Treatment & Diagnosis
Prevention & Wellness
- More Countries Report Coronavirus Cases, as Outbreak in U.S. Looks Certain
- First U.S. Trial of Possible Coronavirus Treatment Begins
- How Coronavirus Raced Through Quarantined Cruise Ship
- Coronavirus Outbreak in America Is Coming: CDC
- $2.5 Billion Coronavirus Plan Sent to Congress as Nations Race to Stem Outbreaks
- Without Symptoms or Clear Test Results, Woman May Have Still Spread Coronavirus
- Global Coronavirus Outbreaks Worry Experts, as U.S. Cases Reach 34
- Global Coronavirus Outbreaks Stoking Fears of Pandemic
- U.S. Coronavirus Cases Now Stand at 26, South Korea Fights to Stem Spike in Cases
- Symptomless Coronavirus Cases Stymie Screening Efforts
- US Cases of Coronavirus COVID-19 Concentrated in West Coast -- Where Else?
- U.S. Coronavirus Cases Reach 34: CDC
- U.S. Scientists Take Key Step Towards Coronavirus Vaccine
- New China Coronavirus Cases Decline, 2 Passengers From Affected Cruise Ship Die
- Quarantine Ends on Cruise Ship in Japan as Coronavirus Cases Near 75,000
- Japanese Couple on Delta Flight From Hawaii Diagnosed With Coronavirus
- Antiviral Drug, Plasma Transfusions Show Promise in Treating Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Spreads Most Easily When Patients Are Sickest: CDC
- 14 Americans From Cruise Ship Hit By Coronavirus Test Positive for Infection
- Chinese Report Says Lion's Share of Coronavirus Cases Are Mild
- Coronavirus: Are U.S. Hospitals Prepared?
- Are Coronavirus Tests Accurate?
- Coronavirus Cases Top 64,000 Worldwide, With Nearly 1,400 Deaths Reported
- How to Dispel Your Child's Fears About the New Coronavirus
- In Small Study, No Sign That Coronavirus Can Be Passed to Baby During Pregnancy
- Labeling Error Led to Release of Woman Infected with Coronavirus: U.S. Officials
- Coronavirus Cases, Deaths Shoot Up Sharply, While 14th Case Reported in U.S.
- Some Coronavirus Testing Kits Sent to States Are Faulty: CDC
- Coronavirus Cases, Deaths Rise Sharply, While 2 New Cases Reported in U.S.
- Coronavirus Spread Slows, But Death Toll Jumps to 1,113
- Coronavirus in America: Keep Your Panic in Check
- China Reports First Death in Coronavirus Outbreak
- New Coronavirus May be Cause of Illness Outbreak in China
- Treatment for New, Deadly Coronavirus Shows Promise
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter