Elliptical trainer workouts and other exercises
One can lose belly fat by adhering to a strict diet plan and exercise regimen and by making a few lifestyle modifications. An elliptical trainer, or cross-trainer, is a stationary exercise machine used to simulate climbing stairs, walking or running without causing excessive pressure to the joints, hence decreasing the risk of impact injuries. Elliptical trainers can help burn calories, reduce belly fat and tone the body. When used properly, an elliptical trainer works the entire body and can engage the quadriceps, hamstrings, glutes, chest, back, triceps and biceps.
Using an elliptical trainer has a lower impact compared to other forms of cardio exercises, such as running and jogging. However, it is an effective low impact cardio workout. Thirty minutes on an elliptical trainer can burn about 300 calories. Running burns more calories, but there is also the risk of wear and tear on the joints. Hence, elliptical trainers are ideal for older individuals who are not used to running, have arthritis and injuries or want to do low impact exercises. It is safe to do 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer five to six days a week. However, one may start with 10- to 15-minute long sessions a day. Though the elliptical trainer is an effective cardio workout, a combination of other forms of exercise, diet and lifestyle modifications are required to effectively get rid of belly fat.
Other exercises that can help burn belly fat
- High-intensity interval training (HIIT): This is probably one of the fastest and most efficient ways to lose belly fat and reduce the overall body fat percentage. HIIT combines periods of high-intensity short exercise sessions followed by brief 30- to 60-second recovery periods. This exercise usually doesn't exceed 30 minutes. Based on the individual’s fitness level, a typical HIIT session can vary between 15 and 30 minutes. It is a difficult type of workout, so it requires a high level of motivation to maintain a consistent program.
- Strength training: Lifting weights boosts metabolism and ensures the prolonged maintenance of an efficient fat-burning rate, which means fat continues to burn even after the workout. Weight exercises burn fat and build muscles, reducing the percentage of body fat and toning up the body. Strength training should ideally be combined with HIIT and cardio exercises, such as running, swimming, elliptical training and cycling.
- Running or brisk walking: Because there is no way to specifically target abdominal fat, exercises such as running can help burn calories and reduce the overall percentage of body fat, thereby reducing belly fat and fat around other parts of the body.
- Bicycling: Bicycling is an effective low impact cardio exercise. One can cycle outdoors or do a workout on a stationary bike. With high speed and intensity on a bicycle, one can burn 500 calories during a 30-minute workout.
- Russian twists: For this exercise, one needs to sit down on the floor, keep the legs straight or bend the knees and lean back slightly forming a V shape. This posture should be held while twisting the upper body from side to side without moving the legs. The hands can be joined together in front of the chest. Russian twists can also be increased in intensity by holding a dumbbell in front of the chest and gradually increasing the weight of the dumbbell. This increases resistance which strengthens muscles and burns more calories. Performing about five sets with 30 repetitions can be helpful.
- Bicycle crunches: Bicycle crunches help burn belly fat and strengthen abdominal muscles. For this exercise, one has to lie on their back with their hands behind their head. Then, raise the knees to the chest while lifting the head and shoulders off the ground. While pedaling with the legs, alternate touching the right elbow to the left knee and then the left elbow to the right knee. Performing one to three sets with 12 to 16 repetitions each is recommended.
- Reverse crunches: These exercises help burn lower belly fat. One has to lie down on their back on a yoga mat with the knees together, legs bent in a 90-degree angle with their feet firmly planted on the floor. The palms should be placed down on the floor for support. Tighten the abs to lift the hips and legs off the floor and simultaneously draw the knees inward toward the chest. Hold this position for a second at the top of the movement. Lift the legs in the air before doing the crunch, keeping the chin off the chest.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
John Hopkins Medicine
Top Do Ellipticals Help Lose Belly Fat Related Articles
12 Things That Make You Gain Belly FatHere is a breakdown of the foods and drinks you might not even realize are causing you to gain unwanted belly fat.
25 Effective Tips to Lose Belly Fat (Backed by Science)Sugary foods, processed foods, alcohol, stress, smoking, excess carbohydrates and saturated fats all increase belly fat. Exercise, healthy eating, sleep, self-monitoring, portion control, intermittent fasting, high protein, soluble fiber, vitamin D, hydration and eating flavorful food may all help decrease belly fat.
Most Effective ExercisesThese seven exercises deliver fitness results at home or in the gym. Start your training to better physical health with the most effective exercises chosen by our experts.
Flat Abs SlideshowHaving a flat stomach makes you look great and feel great. But how do you get the flat abs you dream of? Learn how with step-by-step instructions for performing the best abdominal exercises.
Belly Fat QuizDid you know there is a medical term for belly fat? Find out what it is and learn why getting rid of belly fat may be the best thing for your health. Take the Belly Fat Quiz.
Belly Fat Foods QuizIs belly fat deadly? What kinds of foods are good and bad for belly fat? Take this quiz to learn about belly fat, how it can be dangerous, and what you can do about it.
Can You Lose Belly Fat by Cycling?Yes, cycling can help lose belly fat, but it will take time. A recent study showed regular cycling may enhance overall fat loss and promote a healthy weight. To reduce overall belly girth, moderate-intensity aerobic exercises, such as cycling (either indoor or outdoor), are effective to lower belly fat.
Do Bananas Cause Belly Fat?No, bananas when taken in moderation do not cause or increase belly fat. Banana is a versatile fruit that can be taken in limited portions to lose or maintain weight. Have it as a snack instead of a sugary option like cookies or pastries. The natural sugars in bananas make it an outstanding snack before a workout.
FitnessRegular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety. There are fitness programs that fit any age or lifestyle.
No-Gym Home WorkoutLearn about this no-gym, at home quick workout. It can get you into great shape at home and shows the best moves for flat abs and total body fitness without costly fitness and exercise equipment.
How Can I Reduce My Belly Fat?Reducing belly fat seems to be an arduous task. Poor lifestyle, genetics, hormones, and medications often shows its impact on our weighing scales. There are no spot reduction techniques for losing just the belly fat. However, with these helpful home remedies, slow and steady inch loss is possible.
Worst Belly FoodsBelly-fattening foods such as chips, beer, doughnuts and fatty red meat can kill a diet. See which foods are tough to resist, learn how to spot and swap the big-belly suspects.