Fitness and weight loss awareness have increased exponentially in recent years. Almost two-thirds of adults are trying to lose weight. When adopting lifestyle modifications, such as having a healthy diet and regular exercise, failed to yield desired results, individuals have turned to dietary supplements or pills for weight loss. The use of weight loss supplements has been a debate for several years now. There is no clear evidence to support whether dietary supplements play a role in losing weight.
Some claim that dietary supplements increase the body’s metabolism, decrease appetite, decrease fat absorption and increase fat burning. However, supplements have negligible effects on the number of calories you burn or the way you metabolize fat, and most do not have enough trustworthy scientific proof to back them up.
The makers of dietary supplements rarely conduct human studies to determine whether their product works and is safe. And, when studies are conducted, they typically involve only a limited number of people taking supplements for a few weeks or months at a time. Larger groups of people must be examined for extended periods to determine whether a weight loss product can safely help people.
What are the different types of dietary supplements?
Many substances, such as herbs, fiber, and minerals, are found in weight-loss supplements in various amounts and combinations. Some products, which come in capsules, tablets, liquids, and powders, include dozens of components.
There is a long list of dietary supplements that include:
- Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA)
- It may reduce fat deposits in the body because it increases the breakdown of fat and causes cell death, inhibiting the storage of fat with tissues.
- CLA is a natural product found in beef and dairy products.
- There is limited evidence that supports its usage.
- CLA is usually well-tolerated, but it may cause nausea, diarrhea, loose stools, and gas, which are symptoms of an upset stomach.
- Green tea extract
- Caffeine in this product can help you burn more calories at rest, but there isn't enough credible scientific data to back up its weight-loss claims.
- The evidence supporting the effectiveness of green tea extract for weight loss is mixed.
- When consumed as a beverage, green tea is well tolerated.
- However, there is a large list of potential negative effects involving the cardiovascular, endocrine, neurological, and gastrointestinal systems like with any supplement.
- Protein supplement
- Protein taken as powder or bars do not cause any direct weight loss, but it can increase satiety, which is beneficial when trying to lose weight.
- Eating smaller and more frequent meals with protein sources satisfies hunger.
- Studies showed that weight loss is attained when protein supplementation is paired with a low caloric diet, but not by taking only protein without diet modification.
- Increased flatulence, bloating of the abdomen or loose stools are the common side effects of protein supplements.
- It was believed that chitosan prevents the absorption of fat in the intestines.
- Recent studies showed that weight loss with chitosan was seen only when it was paired with a low caloric diet and showed no significant weight loss when taken alone.
- Chitosan is well tolerated orally at safe doses, increased abdominal discomfort, bloating and diarrhea are its potential side effects.
- Glucomannan is a dietary fiber made from the roots of the konjac plant.
- This contains a high amount of soluble fiber and promotes satiety.
- Cholesterol in the diet combines with fiber and is excreted out.
- Though glucomannan is tolerated well orally, it may cause gastrointestinal (GI) complications, such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, bloating, esophageal, and GI block.
- Garcinia cambogia extract
- Garcinia cambogia extract inhibits the enzyme essential for fat formation (lipogenesis).
- Animal research showed that it may increase serotonin levels in the brain, which suppresses hunger.
- It causes gastrointestinal problems, such as nausea, diarrhea, and headache.
- Bitter orange (synephrine)
- Synephrine is a popular weight loss pill and is related to ephedrine.
- It reduces appetite and increases fat burning.
- Though synephrine and ephedrine showed significant short-term weight loss, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration removed them from the market because of their serious side effects.
- Ephedrine and synephrine have serious side effects related to the heart, and they are addictive.
How are dietary supplements governed?
Dietary supplements do not need to be reviewed or approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Furthermore, producers are not required to show the FDA that their products are safe or effective before selling them. When the FDA discovers a hazardous dietary supplement, it has the option of removing it from the market or requesting that the supplement maker recall it.
Dietary supplements have side effects and may interfere with over-the-counter or prescription medicine absorption. It is, therefore, essential to consult a medical professional before starting these supplements.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
National Academy of Sciences. Do Not Fall for Weight Loss "Tricks." https://www.nationalacademies.org/based-on-science/most-vitamins-and-supplements-do-not-help-with-weight-loss
Boucher JL, Shafer KJ, Chaffin JA. Weight Loss, Diets, and Supplements: Does Anything Work? Diabetes Spectrum Aug 2001, 14 (3) 169-175. https://spectrum.diabetesjournals.org/content/14/3/169
Top Do Dietary Supplements Help You Lose Weight Related Articles
Diet Pills, Weight Loss Drugs, SuppressantsMaintaining a healthy weight is important because being overweight or underweight may lead to various health issues. Body mass index or BMI is calculated by dividing a person’s weight in kilograms by the square of their height in meters.
Beat Belly FatCould your job be to blame for your belly fat? It might be, if it stresses you out. But there are a number of ways to get rid of it.
Fitness and Exercise: Best Exercises for Weight LossIf you’re trying to lose weight, some exercises might be better than others. Check out these 11 choices you can put in your workout routine.
MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) Dietary SupplementMSM (methylsulfonylmethane) is an herbal supplement made from an organic sulfur found in foods (grains, milk, vegetables, and fruits), and the urine of animals. Some think MSM is helpful in treating a variety of medical diseases, conditions, and other health problems. MSM and other herbal supplements are not approved by the FDA for the prevention or treatment of medical diseases or conditions. Talk with your doctor or pharmacist before using this product.
Vitamin D QuizWhat happens to the body when there is a vitamin D deficiency? Take the Vitamin D Quiz to find out what you may be missing.
Vitamins QuizTake the Vitamins & Supplements Quiz to learn just how many essential vitamins your body needs to function!
How to Lose Weight Fast: Easy Weight Loss TipsHere are the best ways to lose weight. From calories to fitness, learn these weight loss tips and win your battle with losing weight.
Weight Loss Pills and Supplements: Do They Work?A bodyweight over the healthy limit is associated with several health conditions, such as diabetes, heart diseases, and certain cancers. According to health experts, long-term weight loss can be safely attained by making healthy lifestyle changes like healthy eating patterns, limiting calorie intake, and doing regular physical activity. Many people, however, are not able to make these healthy lifestyle changes.
Why Can’t I Lose Weight?Finding it difficult to lose weight? It’s a hard thing to do, and there are some surprising reasons you may not be losing weight as quickly as you hope. From sleep cycles to calorie counts, health food fakers to prescription drugs, learn many of the stumbling blocks that can prevent you from reaching your health goals.
Weight Loss QuizAre you trying to lose weight? Take this quiz to see what you can add to routine to get on the right track for results!
What Is the Best Prescription Weight Loss Pill?Many weight loss pills are available in the market. The best prescription pill for you depends on your weight loss goals, your tolerability to the pill prescribed and your coexisting health conditions, if any.
What Is the Best Vitamin Supplement to Take?Dietary supplements are a general term that includes vitamins, minerals, botanicals, probiotics and other products to supplement the diet. The best vitamin supplement differs from person to person depending on their gender, age and any health conditions they have.