All colon and rectal polyps should be removed and tested to detect cancer and help prevent it from forming. Read more: Do Colon Polyps Need to Be Removed? Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Colon Cancer: How Your Diet Can Affect Colorectal Cancer
Diet, including nutrient, antioxidant, and vitamin intake, affects colon cancer risk. Certain dietary factors either decrease or...
Colorectal Cancer: What to Expect With a Colonoscopy
Learn more about what happens during a colonoscopy, how to prepare for it, and how you’ll feel afterward.
Colorectal (Colon) Cancer Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
What is colorectal (colon) cancer and who gets it? Take this quiz to find out how this disease may be prevented.
Picture of Colon
The part of the large intestine that serves to remove water from digested food and let the remaining material, solid waste called...
Picture of Colon Cancer
Most, if not all, of these cancers develop from colonic polyps. Removal of these precancerous polyps can prevent colon cancer....
Related Disease Conditions
Colon Cancer: 8 Early Warning Signs & 4 Stages
Colon cancer usually does not cause signs or symptoms in the early stages. As the cancer grows, signs may include blood in the stool, bowel habit changes, abdominal pain, and fatigue. Learn about stages and treatment of colon cancer.
Colon polyps are fleshy growths inside the colon lining that may become cancerous. Symptoms include rectal bleeding. Learn about causes, signs, treatment, and how to prevent colon cancer.
Colon Cancer (Colorectal Cancer)
Colon Cancer (Colorectal Cancer) is a malignancy that arises from the inner lining of the colon. Most, if not all, of these cancers, develop from colonic polyps. Removal of these precancerous polyps can prevent colon cancer.
What Happens if Nasal Polyps Go Untreated?
If left untreated, nasal polyps can cause serious health problems, including these 7 medical complications.
How Long Does It Take to Recover From Nasal Polyp Removal?
Nasal polyp removal is generally done by endoscopic surgery. Recovery after the surgery may vary from person to person. You may experience pain and some bleeding from the nose for the next three to five days. Most people report feeling weak in the first week after the surgery.
Early Signs of Colon Cancer
Colon or colorectal cancer may not cause any symptoms during the early stages of the disease. A person may have polyps or colon cancer but may not have any symptoms till the late stages of the disease.
What Causes Cervical Polyps?
The exact cause of cervical polyps is not entirely known, however, they may result from increased levels of estrogen, cervix inflammation, or infection.
How Are Nasal Polyps Removed?
The surgical removal of nasal polyps is known as nasal polypectomy. The procedure is mainly performed under local anesthesia or general anesthesia. The physician relieves congestion of the nose using oxymetazoline drops or pellets. The polyps are removed with the help of polyp forceps without injuring the surrounding tissue.
Colon Cancer Prevention
Colorectal cancer is both curable and preventable if it is detected early and completely removed before the cancerous cells metastasize to other parts of the body. Colonoscopy and flexible sigmoidoscopy (along with digital rectal examination and stool occult blood testing) are both effective at preventing colo-rectal cancers and detecting early colo-rectal cancers.
How Can Colon Cancer Be Avoided?
Appropriate lifestyle management, such as eating a proper diet, and regular colon cancer screening could help prevent colon cancer.
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Colorectal (Colon) Cancer FAQs
- Colon Cancer and Polyp Screening Guidelines
- Colon Cancer, The Genetic Factor
- How Long Do You Live After Being Diagnosed with Colon Cancer?
- What Are the Early Signs of Colon Cancer?
- What Is the Best Way to Prevent Colon Cancer?
- What Is the Survival Rate for Colon Cancer?
- How Does Colon Cancer Affect a Person's Body?
- What Are Gallbladder Polyps?
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Shedding Pounds Might Help Stop Pre-Cancerous Colon Polyps
- FDA Approves First Drug for Sinusitis With Nasal Polyps
- Many Patients With Polyps Delay Follow-up Colonoscopy: Study
- Colon Polyp Type May Be Key to Cancer Risk
- Calcium Supplements Tied to Higher Odds of Colon Polyps
- Polyp Removal Doesn't Always Signal Raised Colon Cancer Risk, Study Says
- New Colon Polyp Removal Method May Be Easier on Patients
- Too Much Sitting Tied to Higher Risk of Colon Polyps in Men
- Genes May Be Key for Patients With Multiple Colon Polyps
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Colon Polyps
- Health Tip: Take Steps Against Colon Polyps
- Smoking Linked to Aggressive Colon Polyps: Study
- Polyp-Finding Skill Is Key to Colonoscopy Success
- Omega-3 May Safely Treat Precancerous Bowel Polyps
- Non-Polyp Colon Lesions Hard to Detect
- Choline May Promote Colon Polyps