No, bananas when taken in moderation do not cause or increase belly fat. Banana is a versatile fruit that can be taken in limited portions to lose or maintain weight. Have it as a snack instead of a sugary option like cookies or pastries. The natural sugars in bananas make it an outstanding snack before a workout. It may give the required energy during workout routines and in day to day activities. Bananas contain resistant starch, which may not contribute to the number of calories consumed if taken in a limited quantity. They also contain a high amount of natural fibers and potassium, which usually help in losing weight. Banana is a great fruit that is cheap, high on vitamin B6, and contains amino acids like tryptophan essential for healthy sleep and good mood.
What are the benefits of snacking on a banana?
Bananas are a quick and great snack and have many health benefits. They are:
- B-vitamins in bananas helps the body to maintain a healthy metabolism and reduce health risks associated with type 2 diabetes. They are also important for the nervous system and help our body produce white blood cells.
- Bananas also help keep you healthy by potentially reducing your risk of kidney cancer and macular degeneration (due to the high content of the carotenoid ‘lutein’).
- It may be a good snack for the women who are suffering from premenstrual syndrome or PMS (it is a condition that affects a woman's emotions, physical health, and behavior during certain days of the menstrual cycle, generally just before her menses). As per research, snacking on bananas may improve mood whether you on PMS or not. This may be due to its high tryptophan content.
- Bananas are a good late-night snack. They promote a good night’s sleep.
- It is a good snack before the workout session because of their mixture of slow-moving sugar plus electrolytes can help keep your energy level steady.
- The potassium and magnesium in bananas may help protect us from muscle cramps at night and during workouts.
- Bananas are rich in pectin, which is a soluble dietary fiber and great for digestion. Bananas are promoted for their role in the BRAT diet. This diet is advised while recovering from a bout of stomach flu.
- Banana fiber contains a prebiotic that encourages the growth of healthy bacteria in the bowel. These bacteria produce digestive enzymes that help the body absorb nutrients and support healthy weight management.
- The fiber in bananas is good for relieving constipation, and it also helps in soothing the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. Bananas may naturally soothe acid reflux, heartburn, and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Bananas are rich in antioxidants, especially when overripe, which protect against premature aging.
- Banana is also considered good if an individual is trying to quit smoking. The high levels of B-vitamins, potassium, and magnesium in bananas are not only good for but they help an individual recover quickly from nicotine withdrawal.
- Banana milkshake with honey is the hangover cure. The fruit will calm your stomach, the honey will help normalize the blood sugar, and the milk will rehydrate the body.
- According to the University of Maryland Medical Centre, increasing the consumption of potassium-rich foods can help prevent osteoporosis; a 2008 study found that a diet that is potassium-rich and bicarbonate-rich significantly reduces bone turnover (another term for bone loss). Bananas also contain 16% of the daily value of manganese, which is a nutrient that might help prevent arthritis and osteoporosis.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top Do Bananas Cause Belly Fat? Related Articles
Are Bananas Good for Diabetes?Bananas are a type of fruit that is rich in fiber, carbohydrates, vitamin B6, phytonutrients, antioxidants and potassium. People who have diabetes can consume bananas in moderation, preferably if they are small, unripe and eaten along with protein and healthy fats.
Are Bananas Good for the Pancreas?Bananas are one of the most popular healthy snacking options to eat while on the go. Bananas are good for the pancreas because they are anti-inflammatory, easy to digest, rich in fiber and promote gut health and digestion.
Do Ellipticals Help Lose Belly Fat?One can lose belly fat by adhering to a strict diet plan and exercise regimen and by making a few lifestyle modifications. Elliptical trainers can help burn calories, reduce belly fat and tone the body.
High-Fiber FoodsLearn about high-fiber foods. From fresh fruits to whole grains, these fiber-rich foods can lower cholesterol, prevent constipation, and improve digestion.
How Do You Eat a Star Fruit?Star fruits taste best when consumed ripe. Unripe star fruits may taste excessively sour and at times bitter. Once ripe, these fruits turn completely yellow with a hint of green at the edges; this is the best time to consume star fruit. You can enjoy having a star fruit by:
Is Jackfruit Bad for Humans?Jackfruit is an exotic fruit grown in tropical regions and native to the southern part of India. It’s available in other parts of the world, including the United States. Jackfruit is the largest tree fruit, reaching up to 35 kg in weight. Jackfruit has a dull green, spiky outer skin, which is not eaten, and the edible part of the fruit (the flesh or fruit pods) lies inside, which is light yellow in color and has a rubbery texture.
Best & Worst JuicesAlthough the best kinds of juice deliver a bounty of vitamins, the worst are hardly better than liquid candy. Learn to distinguish between the healthy juices and the unhealthy diet wreckers here.
Exotic Fruits SlideshowExotic fruits like acai, guava, and papaya are loaded with vitamins and other nutrients. Learn when these exotic fruits are ripe, how to prepare them and what nutrition they offer.
What Does a Star Fruit Taste Like?Star fruit, also known as carambola or Averrhoa Starfruit, is widely distributed around the world but is more popular in tropical areas, such as India, Malaysia, Indonesia, and the Philippines.
What Does Jackfruit Meat Taste Like?Typical jackfruit meat consists of the unripe jackfruit pod. It is tasteless and it has a fibrous texture. Jackfruit meat takes on the flavor of the spices that it is cooked with.
Pregnant? Don't Eat ThisDo you know which common foods may be risky during pregnancy? Learn which foods to avoid, while pregnant, such as queso dip, lunch meat, coffee and more.