Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Stages of Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd, 3rd Trimester Images
See pictures on the various stages of pregnancy. See and learn what changes a woman's body goes through and view fetal images of...
Migraine or Headache? Migraine Symptoms, Triggers, Treatment
What does a migraine feel like? Discover the difference between headaches and migraines. Learn to spot migraine symptoms early,...
Early Signs & Symptoms of Pregnancy
Read about early signs and symptoms of pregnancy such as nausea and vomiting (morning sickness), bloating, tender breasts, and...
Stroke Causes, Symptoms, and Recovery
What is a stroke? Learn about stroke symptoms like sudden numbness or weakness, confusion, vision problems, or problems with...
Dehydration: Causes, Symptoms & Tips to Stay Hydrated
Do you know the signs of dehydration? Dehydration can cause medical complications. Learn the causes, symptoms, treatments, and...
Heat Rash Pictures, Symptoms, Causes, & Treatments
Do you know what heat rash looks like? Heat rash (also called prickly heat) develops when the skin sweat ducts become blocked....
Balance Disorders: Vertigo, Motion Sickness, Labyrinthitis, and More
What is vertigo? What causes dizziness? Understand different balance disorders and symptoms such as vertigo, motion sickness,...
Vertigo and Balance Disorders Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take the quiz and find out the causes, symptoms, treatments, and ways to prevent the confusing balance disorder called vertigo....
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) Symptoms and Diagnosis
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) can occur at any age for men or women. Learn more about the causes of chronic fatigue syndrome...
Related Disease Conditions
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Anemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin...
Stomach Flu (Gastroenteritis )
Stomach flu (gastroenteritis) is a term referred used to describe a variety of gastrointestinal problems. The most common signs...
Parkinson's disease is a slowly progressive neurological disease characterized by a fixed inexpressive face, a tremor at rest,...
Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension) Symptoms and Treatments
Low blood pressure, also referred to as hypotension, is blood pressure that is so low that it causes symptoms or signs due to the...
Vertigo (Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, and Home Remedies)
Vertigo is the sensation of spinning or rocking, even when someone is at rest. Vertigo may be caused by a problem in the brain or...
Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms (Early, Body Areas Affected)
Multiple sclerosis (MS) symptoms vary from person to person, and can last for days to months without periods of remission....
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
High blood pressure is defined as a pressure of 140/90 mmHg or higher in the arteries. Genetic factors, high salt intake, and...
Heat rash is a skin irritation caused by excessive sweating. It can occur at any age and it appears as a rash that itches or...
Migraine headaches are severe headaches that are sensitive to light, sounds, and smells. Some people who suffer from...
Early Pregnancy Symptoms and Signs
Pregnancy symptoms can vary from woman to woman, and not all women experience the same symptoms. When women do experience...
Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis, Diverticular Disease)
Most people with diverticulosis have few if any symptoms at all. When people do experience signs and symptoms of diverticulosis...
Hypothyroidism is any state in which thyroid hormone production is below normal. Normally, the rate of thyroid hormone...
Stroke (Signs, Symptoms, Warning Signs)
A stroke is an interruption of the blood supply to part of the brain caused by either a blood clot (ischemic) or bleeding...
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome (TMJ)
Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome is a disorder that causes symptoms like pain, clicking, and popping of the jaw. TMJ is...
Multiple Sclerosis (MS Symptoms, Causes, and Life Expectancy)
Multiple sclerosis or MS is an autoimmune disorder in which brain and spinal cord nerve cells become demyelinated. This damage...
Neck Pain (Cervical Pain)
Neck pain (cervical pain) may be caused by any number of disorders and diseases. Tenderness is another symptom of neck pain....
Brain Tumor (Symptoms, Signs, Types, Causes, Survival Rates)
A brain tumor can be either non-cancerous (benign) or cancerous (malignant), primary, or secondary. Common symptoms of a primary...
Heart disease (coronary artery disease) occurs when plaque builds up in the coronary arteries, the vessels that supply blood to...
Hyperthyroidism is an excess of thyroid hormone resulting from an overactive thyroid gland. Symptoms can include increased...
Hyperglycemia (High Blood Sugar)
Hyperglycemia or high blood sugar is a serious health problem for diabetics. There are two types of hyperglycemia, 1) fasting,...
Internal bleeding occurs when an artery or vein is damaged and blood to escapes the circulatory system and collects inside the...
Date Rape Drugs
Date rape drugs such as GHB, rohypnol, and ketamine are sometimes used to assist in a sexual assault. Symptoms and signs of...
Dehydration is the excessive loss of body water. There are a number of causes of dehydration including heat exposure, prolonged...
Fainting, also referred to as blacking out, syncope, or temporary loss of consciousness has many causes. Often a person will have...
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs, PVC)
Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs, PVC) are premature heartbeats originating from the ventricles of the heart. PVCs are...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Diabetes Treatment (Type 1 and Type 2 Medications and Diet)
The major goal in treating diabetes is controlling elevated blood sugar without causing abnormally low levels of blood sugar....
Motion sickness is a feeling of unwellness caused by the inner ear and balance systems. Motion sickness can include sea sickness,...
Balance is a state of body equilibrium or stability. We often take for granted how dependent we are on a healthy balance system....
POTS (POT Syndrome, Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome)
POT syndrome (POTS, postrual orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) is a nervous system disorder that causes lightheadedness and...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Orthostatic hypotension symptoms include: LightheadednessWeaknessBlurred vision Syncope or passing out Causes of...
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Chest pain is a common complaint by a patient in the ER. Causes of chest pain include broken or bruised ribs, pleurisy,...
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD)
Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) is considered a severe form of premenstrual syndrome (PMS). PMDD has also been referred to...
Low Blood Sugar (Hypoglycemia)
Low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia, is a syndrome in which a person's blood sugar is dangerously low. People with type 1 and type 2...
Abnormal Heart Rhythms (Heart Rhythm Disorders)
Heart rhythm disorders vary from minor palpitations, premature atrial contractions (PACs), premature ventricular contractions...
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke)
When a portion of the brain loses blood supply, through a blood clot or embolus, a transient ischemic attack (TIA, mini-stroke)...
Angina (Symptoms, Causes, Types, Diagnosis, and Treatment)
Angina is chest pain due to inadequate blood supply to the heart. Angina symptoms may include chest tightness, burning,...
Pulmonary Hypertension (Symptoms, Treatment Medications, Life Expectancy)
Pulmonary hypertension is an increase pressure in the pulmonary arteries that carry blood from the lungs to the heart. The most...
Dilated Cardiomyopathy is a condition where the heart's ability to pump blood is decreased because the heart's main pumping...
Addison disease is a hormonal (endocrine) disorder involving destruction of the adrenal glands (small glands adjacent to the...
Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS)
Toxic shock syndrome is an infection that causes symptoms such as low blood pressure, fever, and a rash with peeling skin....
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS or SEID)
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) or systemic exertion intolerance disease (SEID) is a debilitating and complex disorder...
Heat stroke (heatstroke or sun stroke) is a form of hyperthermia. Heat stroke is a true medical emergency that can be fatal if...
Pregnancy planning is an important step in preparation for starting or expanding a family. Planning for a pregnancy includes:...
Heat exhaustion is a milder form of heat-related illness that can develop after several days of exposure to high temperatures and...
Concussion is a short-lived loss of brain function that is due to head trauma. There are two types of concussion, simple and...
Atrial flutter is a problem with the atria of the heart. In atrial flutter the atria of the heart rapidly and repeatedly beat...
Heat cramps usually affect people who sweat a lot during strenuous activity or work in a hot, humid environment. Symptoms of heat...
Lewy Body Dementia (Dementia with Lewy Bodies)
Lewy body dementia (LBD or dementia with Lewy bodies) is one the most common causes of dementia. There are two types of LBD: 1)...
Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) affects many people today. Many people with HCM have no symptoms or only minor symptoms, and...
Noise Induced Hearing Loss and Its Prevention
Noise-induced hearing loss may be an acoustic trauma, which causes temporary hearing loss, or it may be permanent due to an acute...
Atrial Fibrillation vs. Ventricular Fibrillation (AFib vs VFib ECG Strips)
Atrial fibrillation (AFib) and ventricular fibrillation (VFib) are problems with the heart that cause abnormal heart rhythms....
Arteriovenous malformation (AVM) is a congenital disorder of blood vessels in the brain, brainstem, or spinal cord that is...
Heart Attack Treatment
A heart attack involves damage or death of part of the heart muscle due to a blood clot. The aim of heart attack treatment is to...
Ciguatera poisoning is a type of food poisoning caused by the ciguatera toxin found in a variety of large reef fish found between...
About 1% to 2% of people in the U.S. have a peanut allergy. Symptoms and signs of a peanut allergy include rash, hives, redness,...
Stroke vs Aneurysm (Differences and Similarities)
A stroke or "brain attack" is caused because blood flow to an area of the brain has been cut off by a blood clot or by a weakened...
Restrictive cardiomyopathy, the rarest form of cardiomyopathy, is a condition in which the walls of the lower chambers of the...
Insect Sting Allergies
The majority of stinging insects in the United States are from bees, yellow jackets, hornets, wasps, and fire ants. Severity of...
Tips for Managing Type 1 and 2 Diabetes at Home
Managing your diabetes is a full time commitment. The goal of diabetic therapy is to control blood glucose levels and prevent the...
Pregnancy Changes and Body Discomforts
Pregnancy can bring challenges like weight gain, stretch marks, varicose veins, heartburn, constipation,...
Dizziness - Diagnosis
Please describe your diagnosis of your dizziness.Post View 172 Comments
Dizziness - Causes
What caused your dizziness?Post View 88 Comments
Dizziness - Standing Up
Please describe your experience with dizziness when standing up.Post View 16 Comments
Dizziness - Treatment
What was the treatment for your dizziness?Post View 6 Comments
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Vertigo Balance Disorders FAQs
- Concussion Symptoms and Testing
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA): 17 Warning Signs of Serious Complications
- How Much Protein Do I Need?
- Bleeding Ulcer Symptoms and Causes
- Anemia During Pregnancy
- Acquired Methemoglobinemia
- Low Blood Pressure During Pregnancy
- Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE)
- Ear: Anatomy of Hearing and Balance
- Swine Flu: How a Hospital Prepares for Patients
Medications & Supplements
- Beta Blockers (Drug Class, List of Brand and Generic Names)
- ACE Inhibitors (Side Effects, List of Names, Uses, and Dosage)
- ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba, Fossil Tree, Kew Tree, Silver Apricot)
- diazepam (Valium, Diastat, Acudial, Diastat Pediatric, Diazepam Intensol)
- meclizine, Antivert, Bonine, Meni-D, Antrizine
- isosorbide mononitrate, Imdur, Ismo, Monoket
Prevention & Wellness
- Frequent Blood Donations Safe for Some, But Not All
- Health Tip: Avoid Motion Sickness
- ER Rates Soar as Toddlers Ingest Pot, French Study Finds
- Know the Signs of Concussion
- Many High School Principals Know Little About Concussions
- Health Tip: Take Care of Kids Exercising in Summer Heat
- Extreme Heat in Southwest a Deadly Threat
- Birth Control Pills Recalled Due to Danger of Unintended Pregnancy
- Boys More Likely to Hide a Concussion Than Girls
- Shifting Weather Can Unleash Pollen 'Superburst'
- Hear This! Keep Cotton Swabs Out of Kids' Ears
- Brain Research Fuels New Migraine Treatments
- 1 in 3 Americans May Have Had Warning Stroke Without Knowing It
- Health Highlights: March 7, 2017
- Bird Flu Confirmed At Tennessee Chicken Facility
- Scientists Spot Signs That Predict Worsening Multiple Sclerosis
- More Booze Won't Beat Back That Hangover
- Student-Athletes Don't Have to Be Hit By Injuries
- What to Do If You Think You're Having a Heart Attack
- 'Heading' Soccer Ball Not Smart for the Brain
- Health Tip: Make Sure You Get Enough Iron
- Ready Your Home for Winter's Wrath
- Earwax There to Protect Your Hearing, Doctors Say
- Many Misuse OTC Sleep Aids: Survey
- Health Tip: Prepare Your Heating System for Winter
- Was Football Safer Back in the Day?
- MS Symptoms May Develop Earlier in Darker, Cooler Climes
- Scented Rooms, Products? Many Health-Conscious Americans Say 'No Thanks'
- 1 in 3 Young Athletes With Concussion Returns to Play on Same Day
- Are You and Your Home Ready for Winter?
- Brain Aneurysm: Lack of Awareness Can Cost Lives
- Experts Weigh In On Newly Released Health Information From Clinton, Trump
- New Approach Helps Ease Teens' Stubborn Concussion Symptoms
- FDA OKs New Injectable Type 2 Diabetes Medication
- 'Heat Dome' Not Budging Until Week's End
- 'Heat Dome' Heats Up United States
- Concussion Study Shows Player-to-Player Hits Most Damaging
- How to Spot the Warning Signs of Heat Stroke
- Concussion Rates Have Doubled Among U.S. Kids
- Keep Safe When Temperatures Soar
- Ocaliva Approved for Rare Liver Disease
- Delayed Treatment for Concussion May Prolong Recovery
- Aspirin After Mini-Stroke May Help Prevent Full-Blown Stroke
- More Support for Aggressive Blood Pressure Treatment for Elderly
- Think You're Allergic to Penicillin? Maybe Not
- Health Tip: Wishing for Better Balance?
- Scientists Try to Stop Another Deadly Virus
- Sleeping Pills May Spell Trouble for Older Drivers
- Illegal Hits Play Big Role in Youth Ice Hockey Concussions: Study
- After Concussion Symptoms Fade, Slowed Blood Flow in Brain May Persist
- Infections, Not Clumsiness, Cause Many Falls
- Dizziness After Standing May Hint at Higher Risk of Early Death
- 'Mud Bogging' Motor Sport Tied to Carbon Monoxide Poisonings, Deaths
- Wide Variations Seen in U.S. Stroke Care
- Health Tip: Log Symptoms in a Headache Diary
- Health Tip: Exercising With Heart Problems
- FDA Warns of Complications From Facial Fillers
- Many Women Unaware of Female-Specific Stroke Symptoms
- Divorce May Increase Psychosomatic Symptoms in Teens: Study
- Younger Women Often Ignore Signs of Heart Attack
- Extra Bed Rest May Not Be Best for Kids With Concussions
- Many Kids Exposed to Unneeded X-Rays, Study Finds
- Boston Marathon Bombing's Legacy of Hearing Damage
- U.S. Health Officials Resist Ban on Travel From West Africa
- Health Tip: Beware of Household Chemicals
- Poorly Understood Disorder Disables Many Younger Women
- Doctor Shares Tips for Preventing Falls Among Seniors
- Smaller Brain Volume Seen in College Football Players in Study
- Kids' Concussion Symptoms Can Linger Long After Injury: Study
- Cell-Targeted Therapy Shows Early Promise Against MS
- Off Season May Not Be Long Enough to Recover From Football 'Hits'
- Girls Suffer Worse Concussions, Study Suggests
- Stroke Often Missed in ERs, Study Finds
- Carbon Monoxide Poisonings May Rise During Storms
- Doctors' Groups Issue New Guidelines on Treating Common Irregular Heartbeat
- Electrical Brain Stimulation Might Help Fibromyalgia Patients
- Why Ballet Dancers Can Spin Without Getting Dizzy
- Concussed Athletes May Not Be Good at Self-Reporting Recovery
- Training in the Heat
- A Honey of a Heart Condition
- One in 600 Flights Involves Medical Emergency, Study Says
- High School Football Players Often Not Deterred by Head Injury
- ER Visits Tied to Ambien on the Rise
- Eye-Tracking Tool Might Quickly Spot Stroke
- Drug May Help Women Who Quit Smoking Avoid Weight Gain
- Fake Marijuana Use Is a Serious Problem for Teens
- Health Tip: Is Caffeine Giving You the Jitters?
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Hazards Rise in Colder Weather
- New Drug to Lower 'Bad' Cholesterol Shows Promise
- Women Don't Fare as Well as Men With Implanted Defibrillators: Study
- Fainting Spells Often Tied to Too Many Meds at Once: Study
- Health Tip: Signs of Heart Attack in Women
- Fycompa Approved for Epileptic Seizures
- Health Tip: Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- As Armstrong Case Unfolds, Experts Describe Doping's Harms
- Consistent Criteria for Sports Concussion Might Aid Diagnosis
- Marijuana Extract May Help Ease Muscle Stiffness in MS: Study
- Son's Real-Life Drama Leads Comedy Queen to Medical Role
- Third Death in Yosemite Hantavirus Outbreak
- FDA OKs Drug for Advanced Prostate Cancer
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Low Blood Sugar
- Health Tip: Heed the Warning Signs of Heat Exhaustion
- College Football Players' Concussion Rates Double
- Health Tip: Going Scuba Diving?
- 3-D Movies: Thrills and Ills
- It's Not So Much the Heat, It's the Lack of Power
- No Health Risk When Jehovah's Witnesses Refuse Blood: Study
- Maintain Heart Health During Summer
- For Combat Vets, Brain Injury Symptoms Can Last Years
- FDA Issues Multiple Sclerosis Drug Alert
- Health Tip: Be Alert for Signs of Preeclampsia
- Prenatal Pesticide Exposure May Harm Kids' Brains
- Levaquin Approved to Treat or Prevent Plague
- Toxic Gas in Dogs' Vomit a Threat to Vets: CDC
- Survey: 1 in 3 Kids Hurt Playing Sports
- Botox Only Modestly Effective for Migraines
- Mobile Stroke Units Might Trim Time to Treatment
- Ibuprofen May Ward Off Altitude Sickness
- Common Cause of Dizziness May Spell Heart Trouble
- Half of Stroke Victims Don't Call 911, Research Shows
- Menopause May Cost Women Sick Days
- Statin Risks Outweighed by Statin Benefits
- Heart Attacks in Women: Different Symptoms, Different Outcomes
- Korlym Approved for Cushing's Syndrome
- Many Stroke Victims Still Don't Get Treated Fast Enough: Study
- First Drug to Target Cause of Cystic Fibrosis Approved
- Active Ingredient in Viagra Shrunk Disfiguring Growths in Kids
- Avoid Getting Scorched by 'Hot Yoga'
- Narrowed Artery Condition Often Goes Undiagnosed: Study
- Health Tip: Spot the Symptoms of Heart Attack
- Edarbyclor Approved for High Blood Pressure
- Health Tip: At Risk for Hip Fracture?
- Health Highlights: Dec. 7, 2011
- MS May Take a Different Pathway Than Previously Thought
- New Guidelines on Frequent Cause of Sudden Death in Athletes
- Children's Chest Pain Rarely Cause for Alarm: Study
- Concussions on the Rise for Young Athletes
- Bed Bug Insecticides Causing Sickness, Officials Warn
- Are Signs of Old Age Really Something More Serious?
- Talk Therapy Plus Self-Help May Fight Pain
- Energy Drink-Vodka Combo Nearly Kills Teen
- Little Insects, Big Allergic Reactions
- FDA Reports Requip, Risperdal Medication Errors
- Insect Stings Hold Deadly Risk for Some
- Moderate Exercise May Cut Risk of 'Silent' Stroke
- More Stroke Patients Get Clot-Busting Drug But Barriers Remain
- Many Strokes Occur in Sleep, Preventing Treatment
- New Drug May Help Control Epilepsy Seizures
- FDA Approves New Restless Legs Syndrome Drug Horizant
- People With Signs of Parkinson's Wait to See Doctor
- 'Mini-Strokes' May Increase Risk of Heart Attack
- Nuclear Meltdown in Japan: Radiation Risk?
- Clot-Busting Drug May Prevent Disability From Mild Stroke
- Recall of Albuterol Used in Nebulizers
- Heart Attack Risk Quickly Follows RA Diagnosis
- Seizure and Pain Drug May Treat Hot Flashes
- Sports-Related Concussions on the Rise in Kids
- Scientists See Serious Health Risks in Gulf Oil Spill
- New Morning-After Pill Ella Wins FDA Approval
- New Epilepsy Drug Potiga Gets FDA Panel Nod
- New Pain Drug May Be Alternative to Oxycodone
- Diet Drug Lorcaserin Safe, Effective, Study Finds
- Gulf Oil Spill May Leave Emotional Wounds
- 'Female Viagra' Is Rejected by FDA Panel
- 5-Days-After-Sex Pill Gets FDA Panel Nod
- Many Stroke Patients Don't Get Quick Treatment
- Sleeping Pill May Treat Fibromyalgia Pain
- Weight Loss Pill Also Lowers Blood Pressure
- Roller-Coaster Ride Could Affect Your Ears
- Bret Michaels' Condition: How Serious Is It?
- Fate of New Migraine Drug Is Uncertain
- Pregnant Women Don't Get Enough Exercise
- Supplement May Give Older Athletes an Edge
- New Drug Eases Menstrual Cramps
- Generic Drug for Enlarged Prostate Approved
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter