Patient Comments: Dissociative Identity Disorder - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your dissociative identity disorder? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: genderbender, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

My symptoms of dissociative identity disorder include slight memory loss, nothing major like blacking out and ending up in different places, but saying things I don't remember and people telling me I did something that I'm so sure I didn't do. Also hearing voices in my head and I believe I have about 4 alters one angry, awful one that hates just about everything, one very sad one that just annoys me, one that is super protective but I've only been in contact with once, and one I call Bubba who absolutely loves to have fun. I like Bubba a lot. I am aware of the switches between us and that scares the living daylights out of me.

Comment from: lostinheadspacee, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 14

I have black outs due to my dissociative identity disorder. I will be somewhere and then I'm in another place and I can't remember how I got there or what I did. I have time lapses. I know about my alter egos, but there is no true memory of any. I do go to therapy. I don't like loss of the control on my life or the fact I'm unaware of what I'm doing, it is stressful anyway. Well, good luck.

Comment from: cnlights2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I missed a lot of time - not just hours but days! Nobody, not even I, although some said I was acting weird, knew. I had been diagnosed with borderline and dissociative identity disorder. My changes happened quick and at any time. I"d be found across town, don"t know how, or what I did. I did do a lot of overdoses and cutting (one time I needed a transfusion). I don't know everything because a lot of times people didn"t know and I wouldn"t find out for a while.

Comment from: Renee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

Dad had a section of his lung removed 6 years ago and is now experiencing chronic pain in the incision area, probably because of adhesion. The doctor gives him pain pills but a limited amount.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

Wow, I'm not alone, this is a great day. I so appreciate all of you sharing. It is extremely hard. I am just trying to stay home. I am not alone, I have me and me and me. Seriously dissociative identity disorder is awful and I work very hard to help myself. At this time I try to keep away from TV programs that I may see as real and people that aren't mentally kind. I am just now looking for help. I have to get some help. I'm 55.

Comment from: anglesgrace, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

I have found with DID (dissociative identity disorder) that my therapist had me give each personality a job. So one is an artist, another a counselor, another a mom and once in a while a wife; she doesn't like the whole cleaning the house thing as well as my five year old that loves toys. My daughter came up with a container for each personality, and it is working well. Jewelry which is my passion fits well and an outfit per personality helps too.

Comment from: skipjack110, Published: January 25

After going through therapy, I discovered my alter appeared shortly after or during sexual abuse as a small child around age 6. All during my childhood and adult life I would have many incidents where people would talk to me that I did not know and even call me by a different name. I have found myself in places not knowing how I arrived there or who I was with. This has caused 2 failed marriages as I was accused of being unfaithful, or spending money then lying about it. My current wife is able to distinguish two separate entities. One being passive while the other is very angry and unable to trust anyone. I love her very much but the other alter dislikes her and calls her all kinds of names. This has been very challenging for her but she is loving and understanding. I am so lucky to have her as my wife.

Comment from: Foot, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

Hearing voices inside my head, being made fun of by people saying you're talking in that little girls voice, or you're acting like a child. My memory is the craps, staying focused, arguing in my head, problems making decisions, cutting, suicidal, marriage problems, daily triggers from TV, or something that said or done, feeling we don't belong in this world, not relating to adults and scared of them, sleeping problems, bad thoughts and pictures, spacing out and not knowing it and hours or day gone by. I could go on and on. The truth is this problem had screwed up my life and I'm 37now. It makes me angry, and sad, and frustrated, hopeless, and just sucks and I have a background of sexual abuse from early age by family members that stopped in my mid twenties. When was I was 19 I tried to trust in the justice system to make them held accountable, but I no longer believe in the justice system in any crime. Especially if one of the abuser is a powerful attorney himself, which makes me sick he was an attorney and was breaking the law.

Comment from: Dual, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

The symptoms of my dissociative identity disorder consisted of losing memory and hearing the voice of an alter in my head. When switching, my alter takes full control of my body, my mind, and my possessions and at times, my alter would hide them. Therefore, I suffered memory loss and the possessions I could no longer find.

View the Phobias Slideshow Pictures
Comment from: share, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I am finding through so much torture and overwhelming feelings, emotional, physical, sexual, spiritual, intellectual, etc. I think I am finding that many of the parts thought I was the bad person and were so desperately trying to destroy me. I am at the beginning stages of barely finding who is safe and who isn't. It is so exhausting, when someone whom I deem as safe is with me I feel stronger. It is hard to hang on and I desperately need treatment, probably in a hospital. One hour a week is too vulnerable for me.

Comment from: Unique, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

My symptoms of dissociative identity disorder were not recognizing myself in the mirror, depression, mood swings, anxiety, headaches, and suicidal tendencies.

Comment from: all4ofus, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I found that the loss of time, and finding myself in places that I had no idea how I got there has been the most difficult for me. Clothes in my closet that is too small for my body. Totally a passivea-aggressive behavior within myself, and others noticing a slight difference in my speech and actions.

Comment from: psychomom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

The symptoms of my identity disorder were memory loss, ie. I couldn't remember events, how I got somewhere, how I got certain possessions, how I knew certain people, etc. I could hear voices in my head. I was accused of lying quite a bit about where I was or who I was with or how much money I spent, etc., but honestly I had absolutely no clue why I was being accused of these things. People would talk to me like they knew me and I'd have no clue who they were, sometimes I would feel like I was outside myself, time lapse and memory lapse. My alter also cut herself.

Comment from: lindabooten, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

Awakening in hotel with no memory of how I got there, where I was, or what I had done. People talking to me like they know me but calling me by another name, and I have NO idea who they are. Finding things in my possession which don't belong to me with no idea where they came from. I also have 5 different styles of clothing. I have found myself looking into a mirror without being able to recognize myself. I have also cut on myself frequently throughout my life as a coping mechanism.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

My symptoms of dissociative identity disorder where hearing voices that I was able to hear and talk back to, but no one else could. I always had this feeling that someone was in my head. I would have what I called "black time," where I would black out and then wake up minutes or hours or sometimes even days later and not have known what had happened or what I had done.

View the Phobias Slideshow Pictures