Patient Comments: Dislocated Shoulder - Cause

What caused your dislocated shoulder? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: flustered, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 05

After years and years of suffering with cramps, no appetite, nausea, diarrhea, etc., my doctor listened again to my symptoms and thought for a second only to return with a bottle of Creon and told me to take it every time I eat. I haven't had a cramp since so far, and I actually get hungry, not nauseated. I am not sure what this means for me as I recently also lost me thyroid, but Creon is helping and that points to the pancreas. It has been a mystery we've been trying to solve for a long time now. I am hoping it is only pancreatitis and not something more serious.

Comment from: jerry, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 15

I came home from the office on a Friday evening, got out of my car, walked thirty feet to the door to my house. I walked into the kitchen and experienced the most excruciating pain in my right arm. I had to use my left hand to raise, lower or move the arm at all. The next morning I had it x-rayed at a local health center and was told the shoulder was dislocated and to go to an emergency room. My daughter drove me 60 plus miles to a hospital where the orthopedic surgeon finally got the shoulder back in place and immobilized it. This happened September 17, 2016. The physician told me I was looking at up to four months recovery time. It has now been three months and the shoulder seems to be doing well. However my right arm is extremely weak, I cannot lift two pounds above my shoulder.

Comment from: Bary, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I never knew I had chicken pox but, when I was 15 or 16, I had a small patch of blisters break out on my left side rib cage. I didn't know they were shingles but now I have read you can get the shingle blisters at your initial chicken pox exposure and not really show other signs. Here it is some 50 years later and I had performed some yard work and thought I had strained the muscles on my rib cage. The pain was intense for about two days and the blisters appeared on my rib cage from the center of my chest around to my spine in the classic ribbon. The pain is intense. It is now about day 9 for the blisters and they seem to be starting to dry up but the horrible pain is still there. Hopefully I will be able to sleep again. I'm getting the vaccine as soon as I am over this. I can't afford a doctor so I am riding this out by myself.

Comment from: tootired, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I have a viral pneumonia but was treated with 2 antibiotics that didn't help. At first, I thought it was sinusitis but after I got sicker a chest x-ray showed infiltrate and atelectasis. Needless to say, after 3 weeks of being sick I worked sick and got worse; shortness of breath, loss of appetite and weakness. I had a CT with contrast and was found to have fluid around lungs and heart. The emergency room doctor explained I had inflammation around my lungs (pleurisy) which is pretty much why I hurt when breathing, so I am on NSAIDs and a steroid and was told to get rest and drink plenty of fluid. I also have to follow up with a cardiologist to check my heart out because of the fluid. Please, if you start to feel sick don't wait around and self-diagnose because it can get worse and get fatal.

Comment from: Lidi, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I'm 33 and was playing soccer last night. I swung my arm around while countering my balance and I felt a sharp pain and could feel it out of place. There was a lot of pain and I feared the worst. I held my arm against my body and walked off the pitch. None of my team mates or opponents knew what to do. I lay flat on my back and slowly lifted the arm on the dislocated side over my head, I felt it lock back into place and the pain eased. Straight away I put heat rub on it and covered it with a thick jacket. I have use and mobility of the arm but limited as there is still some pain. I am heading for an x-ray and a professional opinion.

Comment from: Abitibi, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I'm 60 and had never dislocated my shoulder before 2 months ago and yesterday. Both times, it happened while moving on my left side and using my left arm to push my upper body up to get out of bed! The first time, I somehow managed to pop it back in within about 10 to 15 seconds by instinctively moving my shoulder and arm. Yesterday, it took closer to 10 to 15 very painful minutes. My wife googled "dislocated shoulder placement" and we tried two different maneuvers (arm and fore arm at 90 degrees and raised to side or front of shoulder) before it finally slipped into place.

Comment from: Karl, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I'm 67 year old male. I slipped on ice and fell hard. Right shoulder dislocated (oddest feeling ever) and I re-located it within seconds by moving my shoulder and arm in just the right way. Pure dumb luck that it worked. I went to urgent care facility and had x-rays, got sling (which I only used once), and anti-inflammatory drug (Advil). My fears are two: 1) It may happen again, 2) shoulder may never heal properly. It's two weeks now and still bad, but apparently healing takes many weeks or more.

Comment from: SalCall1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

My first dislocation was 4 years ago. I was playing hockey and was checked and landed on my left elbow, dislocating my shoulder. It spontaneously reduced when I changed position, from lying to sitting. Two years later, I fell through an open ice rink door during warm ups and had a much more severe dislocation, requiring medical intervention. The last two times (last year and last night), I just turned my wrist and reached for a puck and it went out again. I am considering some sort of intervention now to keep it in place.

Comment from: learning mom, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 18

My 10 year old son had an injury. He was in extreme pain a week later, and I was told it was only a sprain. I took him to a chiropractor that same day and got it put in place and it was much better. Unfortunately, he went back to football practice two weeks after injuring and it it kept getting popped out.

Comment from: TT, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was 'air drumming' (kind of like air guitar) when my shoulder became dislocated. I had to be driven to the emergency room and sedated to put it back. The doctor said as soon as the medications started working my arm dropped off the pillow and it popped back into place. The doctor also said that's bad because it goes in and out with ease - meaning the ligaments are probably torn and will most likely reoccur.

Comment from: Geoker, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

About four years ago, I was running down the stairs of one of the campus buildings, late for my final. My heel caught the edge of the stair and I immediately fell. I reached to catch the handrail, but was already falling. I hit the stairs with my outstretched arm when the shoulder dislocated, rolling down the stairs the rest of the way. When I hit the ground, it popped into place. The shoulder pops quickly every so often- if I stretch, if I reach high, if I fall or shift in my sleep (it wakes me up fast!). Just recently it popped out and I was unable to slip it back in as fast as I usually can. I'm getting it checked out at the doctor soon, but I'm nervous to see what they say, as I'm only 24 with no previous history before this!

Comment from: lil ker, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I'm 32 years old while working outside my 80lb chocolate lab took me down with his lead, landing my on my left shoulder. Plus is I'm right handed. Anyway I got to the er and within 3 hours got it back in. I have been a sling 3 weeks now and try to keep it as still as possible. I ice it twice a day as I still have pain in my shoulder and surrounding muscle groups. I am scared it will pop back out and am nervous to start P.T as I have never been hurt before.

Published: November 22

Two days ago I was running and tripped on the sidewalk. A few years ago the same thing happened and I broke my hand, cracked a rib, skidded on my face, etc., so as I went down I rolled to protect my hand, landed on my shoulder. At the ER, it took some trouble to get it back in, but since then I have been relatively pain free. I am in a sling, but hope to start running in 2-3 weeks. I am a 55 year old woman.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I'm a 29 year old, and I've been having recurring dislocated shoulder problems on my left side. I had this same issues ten years ago and went through x-rays, MRIs and an arthrogram and eventually an operation to correct the problem. I thought that was the end but now ten years later the same problems arise. I have seen my doctor and he used the term "subluxation" meaning it is partial dislocation. I'm having a tough time doing my daily duties at one of my jobs and any wrong movement and my left shoulder pops out of socket. This has happened to me seven times this year alone.

Comment from: Mrsvickers06, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

Two days ago I was hit from behind by a teen running down some stairs. My right shoulder dislocated and I was taken to the ER where it was put back in place. I keep it in a sling 80% of the day and try to ice it 2-3 times. I am out of work for at least a week due to this injury and a laceration on my knee.

Comment from: richard, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 17

My dislocation occurred playing basketball. I elevated my arm on the near-by stage, walked my arm out with my fingers and rotated my body towards the shoulder and it painlessly popped back in. Lucky me. One month later I can work it gently and I experiment a little with range of motion stretches.

Comment from: sharpie, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

After flying through the air having hit a large bump skiing I landed on my shoulder. I was in great pain but popped in very quickly at the hospital.

Comment from: 13-18 Male Published: September 26

I'm seventeen and my dislocation occurred during football on Friday when someone got tackled onto my shoulder. I couldn't move it and went to the ER, where no doctor touched it, just X-rays. On Tuesday I went to the Chiropractor and within 10 seconds said it was dislocated and put it back in. I don't know the full extent of the injury yet, I have to get an MRI soon.

Comment from: charhikes, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I was hiking in the white mountains of NH. I was trying to get down a slippery, very large boulder while holding on to an overhanging tree limb. My feet slipped out from under me and my shoulder dislocated while trying to hold on to the tree. Extreme pain followed.

Comment from: Jimbo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 14

I slipped and fell on top of my left shoulder at friend pool. I am 51 years old male popped my shoulder. I have started oxygen treatment told it speeds recovery.

Comment from: Slip and slide, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

The first time I slipped on black ice and landed on my left shoulder. The second time, one week later, I reached for the car door to close it. I could not move my arm except for elbow down. I've had very successful physical therapy. I had full range of motion and strength 5 months later.

Comment from: Baden, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I'm 72 years old. I was surfing and was picked up and dumped by a large wave hitting the bottom with my right shoulder. Upon recovering and returning to the beach, I knew immediately that the shoulder was dislocated. It was popped back by a paramedic at the local country hospital.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 18

My 14 year old son fell off his mountain bike and dislocated his shoulder. It was put back in place at the ER and he was sent home with a sling and instructions to ice it.

Comment from: damofursden, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I fell through a temporary fence at work and I dislocated my shoulder. That was about 12 months ago. Today I was in my car cleaning it out and I was reaching across the back seat to get something under the front seat and I popped it out again. I put it back in myself this time first time was a trip to hospital with a bit of morphine.

Comment from: stopper, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I was carrying laundry down to the basement and missed a step. My laundry went flying and I fell onto my left shoulder I am a 54 year old female with history of osteoarthritis and joint disease, so I am praying these conditions do not hinder my recovery. It's been four weeks since the fall and I am having a burning, stinging sensation in the shoulder. Today is my first day out of the sling. I see my doctor this Thursday and wonder what to expect. I am not sure if it was an anterior or an inferior dislocation, but I had to be put under, it took 3 doctors to put it back in place.

Comment from: shoulder shrug, 25-34 Female Published: June 14

Upon throwing my first punch at 14 yrs old my shoulder dislocated. I have had issues repeatedly and am limited in activity. Always have to think about what my shoulder may do.

Comment from: Aaron, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 23

My 18 year old son was playing basketball and he went for a 3 pointer. As he threw the ball his arm twisted almost inside out and his shoulder popped. He didn't really feel it pop but noticed it was sore after the game. You could see that his left shoulder had dropped. We took him to the Doctor and he put his shoulder back into place. He won't be playing for 2 months.

Comment from: Johnny, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I stumbled against a small cupboard and fell with my left arm against the wall. During the impact my left shoulder popped out of the joint. Got horrendous pains. Only two hours later at the hospital they reduced the dislocation. Now two weeks later I still have pains around the joint.

Comment from: ampga, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

Playing volleyball on the Playstation Move system. (Yes, seriously.) I was going to spike the ball and as I swung down my shoulder just came out. Excruciating pain!! First time anything like that ever happened to me. Fortunately it popped back in place within a few minutes. Hoping aches and pains heal soon.

Comment from: tyasmom, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I slipped in the snow and landed on my side, my age is 68. I went to emergency and was taken care of quickly and painless, got drugs, came home in a sling very much wiser for winter weather. Given Lenoltec #3 for pain.

Comment from: blabber, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I was in a car accident 25 years ago and was thrown into the back seat and hit our son's car seat with my left shoulder resulting my dislocation. I went to the E.R. they placed my arm into a sling. It still to this day will pop out of joint on occasion. It's getting a little harder to put back into place.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter